The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last Film Watched Thread

+125
alfie
Stella
jimbryant
ONETWOFOREVER
LivinginItaly
Cass1234
drsambo1928
VTR
sugarNspikes
nadeem2099
SirJohnnyEnglish
ChequeredJersey
Smirnoffpriest
Mike Selig
incontinentia
mystiroakey
Morgannwg
The Best in the World
tammywilson52
leslie case
Rava
Sport Junkie
Marsh
paperbag_puncher
Ent
The_Enigma
Dr Gregory House MD
SharkSoul
bluestonevedder
talkingpoint
Hoggy_Bear
Mat
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
JDizzle
Hero
Blade
superflyweight
MR. scotland27
eirebilly
WhiteCamry
hampo17
Muppets
XR
Skydriver
Doon the Water
Diggers
HitmanOwl
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
davidl1061
littleswannygirl
Beer
Aidan11
Ar aghaidh le cheile
Mad for Chelsea
dummy_half
Il Gialloblu
75judi
Galted
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Pal Joey
rawa86
GG
BigPhil
liverbnz
Marcus
Enforcer
B91212
BALTIMORA
sodhat
Thomond
ReallyReal
JPX
Johnny Dice
ADMIN
Dass
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
AberdeenSteve
pauline1981
Azabache
Nay
Notch
Scott is Back
asdral225
Sugar Floyd Louis
AlexHuckerby
Mickado
legendkillar
Celtic Warrior
dyrewolfe
Cari
Kenny
Doubleagent73
Thickfreakness
Sir. badgerhands
easthfc
westisbest
Unknown Brother
compelling and rich
Crimey
CFCNick
TipToes88
User Name
Clunge4life
Derbyblue
The Galveston Giant
A Fine Folk.
Luke
President Trump
AquaArab
Jimmy McNulty
theundisputedY2D2
Liam_Main
Bull
Dexter Morgan
hodge
Chuck Norris
Dx Dan.
Pr4wn
Mr Bounce
hornbloweroafc
Holymiky
David Tails
Adam D
I Blame Coco
129 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Last Film Watched Thread - Page 18 Empty Last Film Watched Thread

Post by I Blame Coco Thu 21 Apr 2011, 3:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

Bit of a running thread we could hopefully keep going....

Meet Joe Black - Never seen it before, thought it was great but maybe a bit too long at 3 hours. One of Brad Pitt's best performances.

Source Code - Bit of a head f**k, won't lie to you i didn't fully understand the ending.

I Blame Coco

Back to top Go down

Last Film Watched Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Last Film Watched Thread

Post by Derbyblue Wed 17 Oct 2012, 1:54 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Spoiler:
I guess the issue is changing what could seem like a little thing, actually changes a lot and we all see it differently.
Spoiler:

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Wed 17 Oct 2012, 10:36 pm

Taken 2 - Just watched this today, no complaints from me about the film was pretty much exactly as expected, but anyone who goes and isn't looking forward to seeing Liam Neeson continuing what he started in 'Taken' is going to be disappointed.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 18 Oct 2012, 12:19 pm

Safety not garanteed- really fun film.. Another take on time travel!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 19 Oct 2012, 12:15 pm

Thats my Boy...

Adam sandler at his craziest.. Kinda gross even for him. It was funny though- 6/10

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenny Sat 20 Oct 2012, 11:07 am

I watched Warhorse lastnight , sounds rather strange to say given its set during the war but i really enjoyed it ..................i would give it a solid 7.5 out of 10
Kenny
Kenny

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Oct 2012, 3:38 pm

I have thought about watching it and I am sure i will like it- Its not the war setting that gets me its the fact its about a Horse..

One day possibly- but to many other films to watch first

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 20 Oct 2012, 4:50 pm

Derbyblue wrote:Taken 2 - Just watched this today, no complaints from me about the film was pretty much exactly as expected, but anyone who goes and isn't looking forward to seeing Liam Neeson continuing what he started in 'Taken' is going to be disappointed.

I was hoping this time Neeson's character would at least try using some peaceful dialogue Sad , thanks for the heads-up derby OK .
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:23 am

I finally got round to watching Star Wars Episode 3 on Saturday. Sorry, but for me that's going on to the over-rated films thread. No where near the level of the original 3 films, in particular Empire Strikes Back.

I didn't find Anakin's change from Jedi to Vader at all convincing. Perhaps it wasn't helped by the lack of charisma of the lead actors.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:33 am

dummy_half wrote:I finally got round to watching Star Wars Episode 3 on Saturday. Sorry, but for me that's going on to the over-rated films thread. No where near the level of the original 3 films, in particular Empire Strikes Back.

I didn't find Anakin's change from Jedi to Vader at all convincing. Perhaps it wasn't helped by the lack of charisma of the lead actors.

think young anakin has to be one of the worse acted characters ive seen, from the young kid who was awful (compare the likes hayley joel osment or dakota fanning to see that kids can act just not this one) to hayden christensen who wasnt much better. for me this is one of the biggest reasons the 3 newer films were disappointing (not to mention characters like ja ja binks). out of the three i thought the third was the best of them though.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:35 am

ive just imdb jake llyod (young anakin) to see what he's up to, not much is the answer which isnt very suprising

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:44 am

The third film is the best of the prequels though by a huge distance. The Phantom Menace was awful, I think Attack of the Clones was worse, it just didn't have the same expectation. The third was probably on the level of Return of the Jedi for me.

I'd order them as:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi/Revenge of the Sith
Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:50 am

Revenge Of The Sith is imo a better film that The Return of The Jedi, which is really, pretty damn average.

Many rate Empire Strikes Back as the best one but A New Hope gets my vote.

I agree that Attack of the Clones is worst.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Mon 22 Oct 2012, 11:59 am

my order is very similar to crimeys, but im torn between which was worse phantom menance or attack of the clones! both very poor. thought the computer animated yoda was terrible! considering he was of the reasons why we had to wait, thought the fight scene was abit cack. give me the rubbery slighty bonkers yoda from the orginals anyday

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 22 Oct 2012, 12:02 pm

When the original three were made, there was talk then of three prequels and then three sequels, so episodes, VII, VII and IX.
Is this still the case?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:24 pm

Stella wrote:When the original three were made, there was talk then of three prequels and then three sequels, so episodes, VII, VII and IX.
Is this still the case?

I don't think so, I believe there was a choice between making three sequels OR three prequels and Lucas stuck with prequels. I imagine one of the main reasons the sequels won't be done is because of the huge amounts of Star Wars material which has been adopted into the canon which takes place after the three original films.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time Lucas has given the middle finger to his fans. Lucas has also retired from making films because of the amount of abuse he gets from people. The only way I see it happening is if Lucas starts getting into financial trouble.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:25 pm

compelling and rich wrote:my order is very similar to crimeys, but im torn between which was worse phantom menance or attack of the clones! both very poor. thought the computer animated yoda was terrible! considering he was of the reasons why we had to wait, thought the fight scene was abit cack. give me the rubbery slighty bonkers yoda from the orginals anyday

I think Phantom Menace is marginally better because of Darth Maul and I think Qui Gon Jinn is a decent character as well. I never understood why they killed off Maul in the first film, introduced Dooku in the second and then killed him off at the beginning of the third. They may as well have just kept Maul from the first to the third.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:49 pm

Crimey wrote:
Stella wrote:When the original three were made, there was talk then of three prequels and then three sequels, so episodes, VII, VII and IX.
Is this still the case?

I don't think so, I believe there was a choice between making three sequels OR three prequels and Lucas stuck with prequels. I imagine one of the main reasons the sequels won't be done is because of the huge amounts of Star Wars material which has been adopted into the canon which takes place after the three original films.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time Lucas has given the middle finger to his fans. Lucas has also retired from making films because of the amount of abuse he gets from people. The only way I see it happening is if Lucas starts getting into financial trouble.

Don't count on it.

I forget, might have been 20th Century Fox. But whoever it was that backed him had no faith in it ever making money and so allowed Lucas to keep all the rights and royalties.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by President Trump Mon 22 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

The sad thing is Star Wars :Clone Wars cartoon is much better than all the prequels in every way and they have brought back Darth Maul which was brilliant

President Trump

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 2:59 pm

Beer wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Is this still the case?

Don't count on it.

I forget, might have been 20th Century Fox. But whoever it was that backed him had no faith in it ever making money and so allowed Lucas to keep all the rights and royalties.

Yeah, I think he kept 100% of the merchandising profits, which is ridiculous when you consider that the merchandise will have made a lot more money than the actual films.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:13 pm

Crimey wrote:
Beer wrote:
Crimey wrote:
Is this still the case?

Don't count on it.

Yeah, I think he kept 100% of the merchandising profits, which is ridiculous when you consider that the merchandise will have made a lot more money than the actual films.

Yeah.

I remember now, it's in the opening credits to one of the Family Guy Star Wars spoofs.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:33 pm

Wasn't it the case originally that Lucas said he'd written all 9 out with some depth and he just chose the middle three as they were the easiest to sell to the film companies on the plot?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:41 pm

Hero wrote:Wasn't it the case originally that Lucas said he'd written all 9 out with some depth and he just chose the middle three as they were the easiest to sell to the film companies on the plot?

That's what he said, but most people think it's rubbish.

Particularly as there are parts of the prequels which wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the first three, such as the inclusion of Jango Fett which was clearly only a result of the cult following of Boba Fett.

Lucas didn't even write the first two films did he? I know he wrote all of the prequels, but I think the first two films, universally considered the best, were written by somebody different.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:46 pm

Pretty sure he did write the first two.

Also, when Obi-wan kenobi meets Luke in episode IV, he doesn't know who he is at first but in episode III, it's him who takes him to that planet, and is asked to watch over him.

This seems to suggest, he didn't write all 9 at once.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 22 Oct 2012, 3:52 pm

Wasn't New Hope heavily ripped from a Kurosawa film called the Hidden Fortress as well?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:21 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure Lucas wrote as well as directed the prequels. He went on to say that Episode I ended up having approx 10% of his original vision for the prequel series. It does show somewhat.

Also believe that the original plan to do a "postquel" trilogy was abandoned some time ago - before Episodes 1-3 came out I think. Too much time had already passed, and as mentioned above, various official and unofficial additions to the canon muddying the water (e.g. Timothy Zahn novels, Dark Horse comics, LucasArts video games). However, there's still the odd word said here and there about a live action TV series, featuring minor characters (bounty hunters in particular, or did I make that up in a dream???) - frozen in carbonite until the technology is cheap enough to keep up with this format.

Hero wrote:Wasn't New Hope heavily ripped from a Kurosawa film called the Hidden Fortress as well?

Quite probably - Lucas is a huge Kurosawa fan. I'm sure he's said that he borrowed lots of different strands of story/mythology from all sorts of folklore besides (commoner becomes hero, beautiful princess, wise old man/wizard, loveable rogue... walking carpet...?).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Mon 22 Oct 2012, 4:49 pm

watched Final Destination 3 last night and also watched Johnny English. Enjoyed both films and thought both were good
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:00 pm

Promithius.. I was on the edge almost throughout, very strange film- Really set up for another though! 7.5/10

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:12 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Promithius.. I was on the edge almost throughout, very strange film- Really set up for another though! 7.5/10
Was this with the alternate beginning/ending?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:14 pm

No idea Derby, didnt even realise there was alternatives

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:35 pm

Gonna watch it tonight Mysti! Hoping its good!

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:37 pm

cool enjoy. It was good IMO- I know it has very mixed reviews though

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

Stella wrote:Pretty sure he did write the first two.

Also, when Obi-wan kenobi meets Luke in episode IV, he doesn't know who he is at first but in episode III, it's him who takes him to that planet, and is asked to watch over him.

This seems to suggest, he didn't write all 9 at once.

Ahh, he did write New Hope, but didn't write Empire Strikes Back, while George Lucas came up with the story, it was written by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan and written by Irvin Kershner. I knew at least one of the original trilogy wasn't directed and written by Lucas.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:53 pm

mystiroakey wrote:No idea Derby, didnt even realise there was alternatives
The DVD comes with an alternate beginning and ending, I remember it seemed like everyone who saw it had a lot of issues with the film (my main issue was feeling like I had just watched a film designed to make me want to watch a sequel). Not sure if they always planned to add the alternatives or it was a reaction to the amount of negative feedback, but would be interested to see whether they make it a better film.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 5:58 pm

Well I must have seen the original. I agree though it really was set up as if it was a starting point for more to come.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:26 pm

actually thinking about it- was this film just a prequel to alien?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:34 pm

mystiroakey wrote:actually thinking about it- was this film just a prequel to alien?
Partly, they've said it's meant to be looked at as having two sequels, one being following the end (trying to avoid spoilers) and the other being Alien.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:35 pm

yep I can see that..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:49 pm

From a quick google search it looks like a Prometheus sequel has been confirmed.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 22 Oct 2012, 6:56 pm

I will watch, but not massively biting at the bit to see it..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:00 am

As it happens I just got around to watching Prometheus at the weekend...and two days later heard about the alternate endings , not sure I'm in a hurry to seek them out.
Film wasn't bad , not great though. Rather a waste of Charlize Theron I thought - she didn't get to do much except look simultaneously very hot and icy cold Smile

The ending does indeed leave plenty of props in place for Alien to start up , and I guess this was a required element. I am interested enough to be looking forward to the sequel that is obviously flowing on from this film though , not sure how they are going to develop the story without treading on the alien series storylines ? Could rather hamstring the scriptwriters...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:02 am

Apparently if they do a sequel, it will move it away from being an Alien prequel.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:07 am

I watched Ill Manors at the weekend.

Although very thought provoking and very sombre, it seemed like a film version of The Streets "A Grand Don't Come For Free"

The rapping really got on my nerves.

6.5/10

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 23 Oct 2012, 9:22 am

Cockneys V Zombies.

What it says on the tin..

Funny-but I will forget it.. 6.5/10

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Oct 2012, 10:50 am

The alternate Ending on Prometheus is basically Shaw asking David where the engineers come from, and he tells her it's Paradise.

The Alternate beginning is a group of Engineers sacrificing someone, rather than the one engineer on his own.

Weird film. Haven't decided if i enjoyed it yet.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 23 Oct 2012, 11:39 am

Thanks Beer

So not really anything significantly changed, eh ? Wonder why they bothered ...

Guess I'll watch it again before the sequel comes out.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:11 pm

Without sitting and watching them don't know what they'll add to the film but doesn't sound like much. Only thing is that I believe 'Paradise' is meant to be the name of the sequel, following David and Shaw as they go to find the engineers. The alternate beginning doesn't seem to change anything if that really is all it is.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Oct 2012, 1:22 pm

Paradise is meant to be the name of the sequel. That's where the engineers live. They created humans so i assume it will follow Shaw as she goes to find out why they end up wanting to kill them, and hopefully expand on the alien.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:13 pm

The alien can expand itself, I'd say.

Exhibit A - the "Shaw" xenomorph. Yikes.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:19 pm

It just reminded of red drawf at the end to be honest. My main concern thinking about it more was the whole 'faith' vibe!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Tue 23 Oct 2012, 2:21 pm

Shaw was hard as nails wasn't she?

Her husband/lover is infected and set on fire. She gets smashed around in a sandstorm. Performs a c-section on herself without anaesthetic, doesn't catch an infection after the 'child' leaks into her gaping wound. Lays still as a robot staples her stomach together and can run around in a swimsuit whilst being mauled by an engineer and not suffer internal hemorrhaging or have any sort of emotional breakdown despite being left stranded on a planet inhabited by aliens with the severed head of an android to keep her company.

I bet she doesn't even get a period.

Beer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next