The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gavin Henson at 10 for Lions

+23
dragonbreath
thebluesmancometh
Lyn2012
GunsGerms
bedfordwelsh
samuraidragon
BigTrevsbigmac
kingjohn7
Casartelli
JmD
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
maestegmafia
Cyril
RubyGuby
TycroesOsprey
Hound_of_Harrow
glamorganalun
fa0019
RogerLewis
majesticimperialman
Permian1988
AlastairW
robshaw4england
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gavin Henson at 10 for Lions Empty Gavin Henson at 10 for Lions

Post by robshaw4england Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:20 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/11/14/gavin-henson-admits-burning-desire-to-make-wales-return-91466-32234605/

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Gavin Henson at 10 for Lions Empty Re: Gavin Henson at 10 for Lions

Post by AlastairW Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:23 pm

If he's on form and playing well (not been keeping up with LW games) why not. Henson/Wilko/Sexton would be a genuinly amazing line up of 10's to go on holiday.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Permian1988 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:24 pm

+1

Permian1988

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:27 pm

Surely he would have to get into the Wales team first?

If he gets back into the Wales team and is playing at the top of his game.
Then maybe. But their are a lot of 10s out there he will have to play better than them.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Tue 20 Nov 2012, 7:36 pm

Henson didn't win IRB under 19 world player of the year for nothing.

He was a fantastic 10. Unfortunately the Ospreys and Wales moved him to 12. First because they preferred Stephen Jones and then Hook arrived at the Ospreys.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:22 pm

Why don't people actually read the link? Ffs. It doesn't mention the Lions, apart from the fact that he went there in 2005.

This article is about his ambition to play for Wales. WUM alert!

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:32 pm

Get a full half season in and come the 6n if he's proved himself then why not... He's young enough to make it to the next rwc. Do I think he will... Doubtful, he just seems to be one of those players who attracts the wrong type of attention and brings down morale.

Lions tour, better options at 10 I think. He went to Toulon and was way down the pecking order... Then again with jw, gateau and contepomi not many would feature.

Centre, well there is a gap in the market. There is no current genuine five eighth in GB and ire bar Henson so if he gets a full season in and impresses then he is an option.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:36 pm

It does not seem to matter how badly Preistlland plays he will get picked by Gatland, Henson is another Gatland seems to like but at centre. I prefer, Sexton, Henson, Wiilko, Flood, Hook, Biggar or my cat before Preistland the way he is playing and my cat is dead.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:47 pm

LW are playing Henson too far behind the gain line to do what he used to do. And that was a while ago. He is also not at a club in the HC, so will find it difficult to impress.

Henson is still playing his way back into the game after well documented problems + injuries. A long shot for Wales atm, never mind the Lions.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:52 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:LW are playing Henson too far behind the gain line to do what he used to do. And that was a while ago. He is also not at a club in the HC, so will find it difficult to impress.

Henson is still playing his way back into the game after well documented problems + injuries. A long shot for Wales atm, never mind the Lions.

Who said anything about the lions? This is a WUM by an English poster posting a link to a non-lions news article!

Hook line and sinker...

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 20 Nov 2012, 8:58 pm

Oh griff. I'm just giving an analysis/critique of his season so far from what I've seen.

Not taken the bait at all. If he got back what he had 4+ seasons ago I would have him (at 12) like a shot.
OK

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:01 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Oh griff. I'm just giving an analysis/critique of his season so far from what I've seen.

Not taken the bait at all. If he got back what he had 4+ seasons ago I would have him (at 12) like a shot.
OK

Sorry hound. Was a bit defensive there! Hate these threads that start nuclear warfare between fans based on a fabrication of the truth!

guinness

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:02 pm

Henson needs to just keep his head down and keep playing week in week out. He has been doing well at the Exiles and with a season under his belt he could be an option for the Lions at 12. Gatland is an avowed admirer of Henson and may use the Lions tour to see if he is rehabilitated.

A fit and on form Henson with his head focused would be a real option at 12 and can easily cover 10 or 15 (Personally always preferred him at 15 or 12).

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:05 pm

I can't see the guy playing for Wales again never mind the Lions - His application is just not there thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:13 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:Gatland is an avowed admirer of Henson and may use the Lions tour to see if he is rehabilitated.
I'd rather we didn't use the Lions tour to check if players are ready to step out into society again.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:16 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Surely he would have to get into the Wales team first?

Then maybe. But their are a lot of 10s out there he will have to play better than them.

You considered Wilkinson possible as a Lions player, he won't play international rugby prior to the tour, why not consider Gavin Henson.

Should he be playing good rugby then why not?

I am sure that Gatland is keeping an avid eye on his progress.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 20 Nov 2012, 9:54 pm

No worries griff. Hug

The defensive stance is understandable, given some of the stuff I've read on here.
Wink

The Lions is completely different to picking a national team, where the team management may be looking to build long term.

Picking a Lions team to win a one off series every 4 years requires a different management mindset. That means picking a squad of guys who 1) have what it takes playing wise (a proven track record at top level), and 2) players who completely buy into the whole squad ethic, whether in the initial 1st team squad or not.

If players can fulfil those two criteria then I believe Gatland will consider them; whether they are current internationals or not.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 20 Nov 2012, 10:01 pm

Can you really see him getting selected ahead of Cipriani?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Tue 20 Nov 2012, 10:02 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Surely he would have to get into the Wales team first?

You considered Wilkinson possible as a Lions player, he won't play international rugby prior to the tour, why not consider Gavin Henson.

Its difficult to know when Maest is being serious sometimes isnt it.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Tue 20 Nov 2012, 10:03 pm

I didn't want to mention Cipriani.
Whistle

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by JmD Tue 20 Nov 2012, 10:52 pm

I don't want Henson's personality on the tour, he isn't exactly a team player.

JmD

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Tue 20 Nov 2012, 11:11 pm

Why did Henson miss...

Lions 2001
Lions 2005 first test
Lions 2009
World cup 2003
World cup 2007
The majority of Wales internationals 2001-2004

Because as Lyn Howells mentions in his autobiography, Henson is as far from a team player as they come.

Henson upsets everyone and destroys everything in the pursuit of personal gain. He was a laughing stock throughout rugby circles. His talent was immense but his path of destruction was always 2 steps ahead.

Graham Henry and Steve Hansen wouldn't go near him. No surprises Mike Ruddock resurrected Henson as Ruddock had massive Swansea connections.

The pictures becomes clear now. Clive Woodward was pressured to take Henson on the tour but didn't think twice to omitt him from the first test team.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 20 Nov 2012, 11:24 pm

Gatland is head coach - thus Priestland is guaranteed starting 10 for the Lions.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Tue 20 Nov 2012, 11:30 pm

To be fair he comes across really well in that interview, good luck to him. I hope to see more of him he is a pleasure to watch.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed 21 Nov 2012, 7:43 am

kingjohn7 wrote:To be fair he comes across really well in that interview, good luck to him. I hope to see more of him he is a pleasure to watch.

I couldn't watch one episode of 'The Batchelor'.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:14 am

kingjohn7 wrote:To be fair he comes across really well in that interview,

Sure you werent watching "The Dark Charisma of Hitler"?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:28 am

:
Casartelli wrote:Gatland is head coach - thus Priestland is guaranteed starting 10 for the Lions.

picard picard picard

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 21 Nov 2012, 3:17 pm

RogerLewis wrote:Why did Henson miss...

Lions 2001
Lions 2005 first test
Lions 2009
World cup 2003
World cup 2007

Because as Lyn Howells mentions in his autobiography, Henson is as far from a team player as they come.

Henson upsets everyone and destroys everything in the pursuit of personal gain. He was a laughing stock throughout rugby circles. His talent was immense but his path of destruction was always 2 steps ahead.

Graham Henry and Steve Hansen wouldn't go near him. No surprises Mike Ruddock resurrected Henson as Ruddock had massive Swansea connections.

The pictures becomes clear now. Clive Woodward was pressured to take Henson on the tour but didn't think twice to omitt him from the first test team.

Thats honestly a ridiculous assessment of Hensons career,

Lions 2001 - Henson was 19-20 and only just breaking into the All Whites side He hadnt even won a welsh cap let alone deserved a Lions call up.
Lions 2005 first test - Clive Woodward picked the most ridiculously out of form, past it side instead of the form players and we got a hiding, Henson was injured in the second test. After Lolly Dayglow got injured the Lions had no chance. Woodward demonstrated how lucky he had been with the clutch of world class England players he had to win the world cup.
Lions 2009- Ripped lateral ligaments and a groin injury
World cup 2003 - Missed out as a utility back but was nowhere near the first team for Hansen with Iestyn Harris having cost so much for the WRU.
World cup 2007- Gareth Jenkins, enough said really.
The majority of Wales internationals 2001-2004 - He was behind, Neil Jenkins, Iestyn Harris and Steven Jones He was far too young to ever play for Graham Henry and well Steve Hansen also refused to pick Shane Williams and was the worst welsh coach I've ever seen (I include Ron Waldron and Gareth Jenkins in that).

For all Hensons myriad of faults and mistakes, it has not really been his behaviour inside the squad that has caused issues, certainly with Wales and the Ospreys, its generally been him acting like a a complete biscuit outside, getting drunk clubbing, fighting, ridiclous interviews and a book. His reality TV addiction came during the sabbatical.

At the exiles he has his head down and is working, coaches who he has worked with all sing his praises, Lyn, Gatland and Ruddocks opinions are a bit more weighty than Lynn Howells and Gareth Jenkins.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 21 Nov 2012, 3:37 pm

TycroesOsprey wrote:
RogerLewis wrote:Why did Henson miss...

Lions 2001
Lions 2005 first test
Lions 2009
World cup 2003
World cup 2007

Thats honestly a ridiculous assessment of Hensons career,

Lions 2001 - Henson was 19-20 and only just breaking into the All Whites side He hadnt even won a welsh cap let alone deserved a Lions call up.
Lions 2005 first test - Clive Woodward picked the most ridiculously out of form, past it side instead of the form players and we got a hiding, Henson was injured in the second test. After Lolly Dayglow got injured the Lions had no chance. Woodward demonstrated how lucky he had been with the clutch of world class England players he had to win the world cup.
Lions 2009- Ripped lateral ligaments and a groin injury
World cup 2003 - Missed out as a utility back but was nowhere near the first team for Hansen with Iestyn Harris having cost so much for the WRU.
World cup 2007- Gareth Jenkins, enough said really.
The majority of Wales internationals 2001-2004 - He was behind, Neil Jenkins, Iestyn Harris and Steven Jones He was far too young to ever play for Graham Henry and well Steve Hansen also refused to pick Shane Williams and was the worst welsh coach I've ever seen (I include Ron Waldron and Gareth Jenkins in that).

For all Hensons myriad of faults and mistakes, it has not really been his behaviour inside the squad that has caused issues, certainly with Wales and the Ospreys, its generally been him acting like a a complete biscuit outside, getting drunk clubbing, fighting, ridiclous interviews and a book. His reality TV addiction came during the sabbatical.

At the exiles he has his head down and is working, coaches who he has worked with all sing his praises, Lyn, Gatland and Ruddocks opinions are a bit more weighty than Lynn Howells and Gareth Jenkins.

Tycores,

Thats a spot on answer but (dont take wrong way) why you bothered doing it I don't know some people on here will read and interpret things the way they want to and in most of his threads to get a reaction
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 21 Nov 2012, 4:07 pm

Yeah I probably shouldnt bite Beds, I guess talking about Henson is better than thinking about the All Blacks at the moment thumbsup

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Wed 21 Nov 2012, 5:24 pm

That still doesn't explain why Henson hardly featured in the Wales SQUAD between 2001/2004.

Under 19 world player of the year and flying at 10 for Swansea.
His ego and attitude IN the squad camps has been just as detrimental.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 21 Nov 2012, 5:31 pm

He is unreliable and over rated. Id rather bring Andy Goode. At least you could count on him, he wouldnt moan all the time and he would do what is expected of him without emitting a unnatural ochre glow and pansy haircut.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 21 Nov 2012, 5:38 pm

GunsGerms wrote:He is unreliable and over rated. Id rather bring Andy Goode. At least you could count on him, he wouldnt moan all the time and he would do what is expected of him without emitting a unnatural ochre glow and pansy haircut.

Pansy haircut? And what has Andy Goode got? Keeping it long even when going bald, like a mix between Pamela Anderson and Terry Nutkins. "Look at my beautiful blonde locks and bald scalp". Pansy. Shave it off mun!

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerLewis Wed 21 Nov 2012, 5:42 pm

Griff wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:He is unreliable and over rated. Id rather bring Andy Goode. At least you could count on him, he wouldnt moan all the time and he would do what is expected of him without emitting a unnatural ochre glow and pansy haircut.

like a mix between Pamela Anderson and Terry Nutkins.

Funniest thing I've read on here.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Wed 21 Nov 2012, 6:13 pm

RogerLewis wrote:That still doesn't explain why Henson hardly featured in the Wales SQUAD between 2001/2004.

Under 19 world player of the year and flying at 10 for Swansea.
His ego and attitude IN the squad camps has been just as detrimental.

Henson was a member of every welsh squad except the Rugby World Cup in 03 between his first cap in 2001-2004 bar when injured. He managed to get over a third of his caps between 2001-2004. Your simply making things up. There is more than enough to criticise Henson about without resorting to invention.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyn2012 Wed 21 Nov 2012, 7:47 pm

Gavin Henson is a quality player and should be selected for the Lions squad. The fly halves in the pecking order should be:

1. Jonathan Sexton
2: Toby Flood
3: Gavin Henson

Lyn2012

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 21 Nov 2012, 8:05 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Its difficult to know when Maest is being serious sometimes isnt it.

I don't see either player making the tour. Wilkinson would be the result of a string of injuries and Henson would more likely be considered as a centre than a flyhalf. They are both playing well for their respective clubs, surprising many people with their current good form.

But neither are showing enough to negate their lack of international exposure.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 21 Nov 2012, 8:43 pm

Surprised Wilko has managed to stay injury free for a while now. Equally surprised Henson has managed to avoid the sack or pi$$ing anyone off for more than a few months.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 21 Nov 2012, 8:54 pm

The problem with taking either jonny or Henson is that both have large egos. They're not going along to make up the numbers and be part of the dirt trackers whilst someone else gets the glory.

If a guy like Henson doesn't get picked for the first team he won't be happy... He's proved that in the lions tour in 05, at Saracens, at Toulon.... A leopard doesnt change his spots. He will voice his frustration and these things are really needed in big tours.

Unless he gets selected for Wales and is playing well I wouldn't risk it for the above reasons... He either starts (unlikely) or goes to Tenby for a family holiday (where all welsh people go on holiday right?).

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:41 pm

If a guy like Henson doesn't get picked for the first team he won't be happy... He's proved that in the lions tour in 05, at Saracens, at Toulon.... A leopard doesnt change his spots. He will voice his frustration and these things are really needed in big tours.

That is the biggest pile of tosh I have ever heard!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Wed 21 Nov 2012, 9:54 pm

robshaw4england wrote:http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2012/11/14/gavin-henson-admits-burning-desire-to-make-wales-return-91466-32234605/

Gota love Gav. You guys just can't leave him alone. He ain't going to play for Wales. he ain't going to play for the Lions it is not even worth discussing. He has more chance of being the first Welsh man on the moon. We could discuss that if you like

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 21 Nov 2012, 10:56 pm

He's playing pretty well for Welsh. Should probably take things a step at a time though
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 21 Nov 2012, 10:57 pm

fa0019 wrote:The problem with taking either jonny or Henson is that both have large egos. They're not going along to make up the numbers and be part of the dirt trackers whilst someone else gets the glory.

Unless he gets selected for Wales and is playing well I wouldn't risk it for the above reasons... He either starts (unlikely) or goes to Tenby for a family holiday (where all welsh people go on holiday right?).

Does Wilko have a large ego?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:24 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:
fa0019 wrote:The problem with taking either jonny or Henson is that both have large egos. They're not going along to make up the numbers and be part of the dirt trackers whilst someone else gets the glory.

Does Wilko have a large ego?

I read that too and disagreed but when you read the post again what he is talking about isn't phrased the best way...! He is right in saying that Wilkinson and Henson are not the types of player who just want to be squad members, they will always want to be in the first team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:28 am

MM

I think that should be said of all tourists though, anyone willing to be a midweek player is surely not worth taking and isn't giving his all.

Wilko would work his balls off for a starting spot, and wether he was never intended to start is a different story, he would certainly work the other 10's and worry them enough to perform at every opportunity!!

And for that reason I would take Wilko, Gav however is too much of a loose canon, would you want him, Phillips, Tuilagi and Care popping out for a coffee late at night together Shocked

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:31 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:MM

I think that should be said of all tourists though, anyone willing to be a midweek player is surely not worth taking and isn't giving his all.

Wilko would work his balls off for a starting spot, and wether he was never intended to start is a different story, he would certainly work the other 10's and worry them enough to perform at every opportunity!!

And for that reason I would take Wilko, Gav however is too much of a loose canon, would you want him, Phillips, Tuilagi and Care popping out for a coffee late at night together Shocked

The reference to either of these is that they would likely be behind Sexton and making up the numbers as second string midweek players not first teamers...!

RE your other point, I think Tuilagi is more of a swimmer than a coffee drinker but I heed your point. I honestly dont see either making the tour.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:41 am

Thats not really my point, I'd take Wilko, even as a mid weeker he wouldn't be able to be content with that, he would inevitably push himself for a test spot and wether he's capable of making it or not would certainly keep the pressure on Sexton/Flood.

I would definately consider Wilko, the lions tour is nothing to do with NT's, it's not about building for the future, it's about getting the best out of the squad and winning 3 tests, Wilko would certainly help that!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Thats not really my point, I'd take Wilko, even as a mid weeker he wouldn't be able to be content with that, he would inevitably push himself for a test spot and wether he's capable of making it or not would certainly keep the pressure on Sexton/Flood.

I would definately consider Wilko, the lions tour is nothing to do with NT's, it's not about building for the future, it's about getting the best out of the squad and winning 3 tests, Wilko would certainly help that!!
Agree with that OK

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 22 Nov 2012, 10:54 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:Thats not really my point, I'd take Wilko, even as a mid weeker he wouldn't be able to be content with that, he would inevitably push himself for a test spot and wether he's capable of making it or not would certainly keep the pressure on Sexton/Flood.

He is going to have to play exceptionally well for Toulon to get in. Unless he makes himself available for England, where to be perfectly honest he isn't as good a Flyhalf as Toby Flood.

If he isn't as good as Flood now, why would he get the nod for the Lions?

Lions flyhalfs will be Sexton, Flood and one other who shines in the Six Nations, if no one does or there is a mad spate of injuries then the coaches will look to club form and Wilkinson may well get a look in.

If Lyn Jones starts selecting Ross at 10 and Henson at 12. Henson may well get in too. There are less outstanding 12s than there are flyhalfs in contention.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu 22 Nov 2012, 1:44 pm

Yes, Gav and Jonny could take their successful '5/8ths' partnership from those halcyon days at Toulon, and reprise it for the Lions.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next