The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brazilian GP Thread - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk

+9
GSC
SteveG
Bull
Dave.
dyrewolfe
Critical_mass
beninho
Don Caboose
Fernando
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who Will Leave Brazil as World Champion?

Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Vote_lcap60%Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Vote_rcap 60% 
[ 9 ]
Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Vote_lcap40%Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 15

Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Empty Brazilian GP Thread - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk

Post by Fernando Thu 22 Nov 2012 - 14:42

São Paulo welcomes Formula One as the teams assemble at Interlagos for the 20th and final round of the 2012 F1 World Championship. The Brazilian Grand Prix has been the scene of much drama since it moved from the beginning to the end of the F1 season and it has the opportunity to be so again as Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso go head-to-head around the famous Autódromo José Carlos Pace, each seeking to become a three-times World Champion.

Interlagos has never struggled to provide entertainment. The roller-coaster configuration provides several excellent overtaking prospects, while the off-camber corners and uphill/downhill braking zones provide ample opportunities for error. The weather often plays a part and the safety car has seen action frequently in recent years. In short, it is the perfect venue for a championship showdown.

Cut into a hillside, the circuit is a natural amphitheatre, providing the huge and usually raucous crowd with superb views of the action as the circuit drops from the heights of the start-finish straight down to the Descida do Lago section at Turns Four and Five. It then winds back and forth across the bowl before reaching the Junção corner followed by the long full-throttle ascent back to the line.

Red Bull Racing wrapped up the Constructors’ Championship last weekend in Austin at the United States Grand Prix, leaving the field clear for the Drivers’ Championship to be the sole focus of attention in Brazil. Going to Interlagos, Sebastian Vettel leads Fernando Alonso by 13 points. With a superior win record in 2012, Vettel will take the title if the pair finish tied on points – meaning Vettel can afford to finish fourth and be guaranteed his third World Championship in three years with the 12 points that brings. Vettel has been on the podium for the last six races but will take nothing for granted. Interlagos tends to be rather more capricious than other circuits

CIRCUIT DATA

AUTÓDROMO JOSÉ CARLOS PACE (INTERLAGOS)

Length of lap:

4.309km

Lap record:

1:11.473 (Juan Pablo Montoya, Williams, 2004)

Start line/finish line offset:
0.030km

Total number of race laps:
Total race distance:

305.9km
Pitlane speed limits:
60km/h during practice and qualifying,

100km/h during the race

CHANGES TO THE CIRCUIT SINCE 2011
► New debris fences have been installed on both sides of the track between turns 3 and 4.
► A kerb has been installed on the apex of turn 15.
► Tube inserts have been placed in the tyre barrier on the end of the wall at the pit entry.

► Five Brazilian drivers have won their home grand prix: Emerson Fittipaldi (1973-74), Carlos Pace (1975), Nelson Piquet (1983, 1986), Ayrton Senna (1991, 1993), and Felipe Massa (2006, 2008).
► Alain Prost is the most successful driver in the history of the race with six victories (1982, 1984-85, 1987-88, 1990). Among the current field Michael Schumacher (1994-95, 2000, 2002), Massa and Mark Webber (2009, 2011) are multiple winners. Kimi Räikkönen (2007) and Sebastian Vettel (2010) have also won here.
► Sunday’s race will see the second retirement of Michael Schumacher. The seven-times World Champion first retired from Formula One after the season-ending Brazilian Grand Prix of 2006.
► The 4.3km Interlagos layout has held the F1 Brazilian GP since 1990. Prior to this the race was held in Rio de Janeiro at Jacarepaguá (1978,1981-89) and on the longer 8km Interlagos layout (1973-77, 1979-80). The only drivers to win in both cities are Prost and Carlos Reutemann.
► The shorter Interlagos circuit features many sections carried over from its predecessor. The back straight (Reta Oposta) formerly ran in the opposite direction. It is parallel to the original back straight, still in evidence behind the spectator viewing areas.
► Altitude is a factor at Interlagos: the circuit is 800m above sea-level. Cars require more wing for a given level of downforce than they would at sea-level; however the thinner air does mean a corresponding reduction in drag. For engines, the reduced amount of available oxygen leads to a decrease in power.
► 2008 saw perhaps the most thrilling championship climax of all time with the title not decided until half a minute after the winner had crossed the line. In gloomy conditions Felipe Massa won the race for Ferrari leaving, McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton the task of finishing fifth. With rain falling he was running only sixth into the last sector of the final lap. Hamilton passed the Toyota of Timo Glock in the final seconds of the race and beat Massa by a solitary point.
► That has not been Interlagos’ only moment of drama. Between 2005-2010 the Brazilian Grand Prix played a significant part in every Drivers’ Championship battle. 2005 saw Fernando Alonso finish third to clinch the title with two races remaining. Alonso triumphed again the following year in a season-ending showdown with Michael Schumacher. The 2007 race was again a season finale and saw the outsider Kimi Räikkönen crowned after winning the grand prix, finishing the season one point ahead of both Alonso and Hamilton. In 2009 Jenson Button clinched the title at Interlagos with one race to spare and in 2010 Sebastian Vettel went into the race fourth in the standings but won to pull himself back into championship contention going to the final round in Abu Dhabi, where he duly won his first title.

Weather Forecast: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3448439

Source:FIA

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Empty Re: Brazilian GP Thread - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk

Post by Don Caboose Thu 22 Nov 2012 - 21:34

I have a feeling that there is one more twist in this title race (or at least hope so) so I voted for Fernando Alonso.

Don Caboose

Back to top Go down

Brazilian  GP Thread  - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk Empty Re: Brazilian GP Thread - Sponsored by EnglishSummerTimeWeather.co.uk

Post by beninho Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 11:37

Its looking like rain on sunday. Could either cause a great race...or mean a safety car race and a complete let down!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 14:18

You guys do realise it said who will come away as the WDC and not who you WANT to come away as the WDC? imo its hard to bet against vettel, rain or not.

Regardless if it rains or not that doesnt mean Vettel will do badly. He has more downforce, so i still expect him to do better than Alonso.

Who knows though, there could be a twist.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 14:40

I am surprised by that voting result aswell, agree people are voting for who they want instead of who will.

It looks more likely to be a dry qualifying which will probably see Vettel front row, either alongside Hamilton or Webber. Alonso will be looking at third row which isn't too shaby when you look at the Sunday forecast. I really don't think qualifying is going to be important. When it rains in Interlagos, expect anything from Safety cars to unexpected results and winners.

Yes, Vettel has the 13 points but this could go either way which should result in a fantastic climax to this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 18:04

Wow - what a qualifying session.

Great way to end the season with a McLaren front row lock-out.

Surprised Vettel was as far off the pace as he was, considering how fast Webber was. Wonder if they have done the same thing Ferrari reportedly have and given their No.1 driver a car more set up for a wet race?

Surprised the vote is so evenly split, with both drivers on 6 apiece. Realistically Alonso still needs a miracle to win the title.

If he makes his usual banzai start I reckon he can get past Hulkenberg and Maldonado at the start. If so, Massa will obviously move over for him. Even so, that will only put him 5th and he'll still need something to go badly wrong for Vettel and for Seb to finish no higher than 9th or 10th.

For Alonso to win the title, he needs both McLarens and Red Bulls to suffer mechanical failures, pit stop delays, or to be hit by other cars (any combination of those things which results in him getting 14 points more than Vettel)...which is asking a lot, to be honest.

Hence, if I were a betting man, my money would be on Vettel.

To be honest I'm not overly bothered who wins. My biggest wish is for a McLaren 1-2 tomorrow and for Lewis to sign off with a win.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 18:17

If it stays dry - it's almost certainly Vettel's. (Only a crash/mechanical)

It it rains - all bets are off. Brazil + Rain = Awesomeness.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 19:51

hope it rains.

ALONSO FOR WDC , I BELIEVE!

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 19:54

Maldonado gets 10 place penalty for 3rd reprimand of the season after missing the weighbridge

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 20:34

I've thought about it alot after qualifying and I really think this is a miracle too far for Fernando. Vettel had more to lose than Alonso and I thought the nerves got to Vettel and the mistake in Q3 unfolded. Quite brilliant from McLaren and Hamilton, shame it's happened way too late in the season. Hamilton has been untouchable over the last couple of months.

Even if Vettel fails to finish, which is a big if, Fernando's hopes of a podium are looking slim with a McLaren front row lock out and Webber all ahead of him. He needs rain without a shadow of doubt. If there is rain and a haul of retirements, hopefully Heikki can manage a points finish and get Caterham above Marussia in the constructors.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 22:31

Anyone click to Webbers interview in the drivers conference. He was asked if he would help his team mate in the race. Webber said in a nut shell, he's just concentrating only on his race and that he'll finish the race as fast as he can.

Plus he didnt look v happy in the interview either.

Anyone else other than myself take this as Webber basically saying "no!"?

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 22:35

and strong chance of rain. Id put money on there being a red flag if the rain is heavy enough. Turns one and two are known for the stream of water in the middle of them.

Though a v wet, but running race would made brilliant.

Do the rain dance! drumroll

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 22:46

Personally i hope the title isn't settle by a teammate moving over would spoil it you can see why it's been done in previous races but in a title decider it would be wrong

If it rains Vettel will be crying for the red flag if Alonso is anywhere near him

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 23:21

Yeah definately. I'd rather Webber didnt help him and just let the race run its course. Its up to vettel to win the title not have it handed to him. Though im sure Fernando would have it handed to him Laugh

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 10:31

@Critical Mass: thats just Webber playing the game. Also, he didn't explicitly say he wouldn't help Vettel. Even now team orders are legal, no driver is ever going to admit in an interview that they will move over to help their team mate. At best you'll get evasive replies about seeing how the race unfolds. After the race they can claim technical problems or mistakes cost them places.

Given that Mark is contracted to Red Bull for next season I'm pretty sure he'll do as he's told. If the order comes over the radio, he'll let Vettel past.

Still, lets hope it doesn't come to that.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 11:25

I pretty sure he says a decisive "no" in the interview. Still you're probably right, i just thought the interview with Webber was a bit odd.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 12:02

Probably reading too much into this - but perhaps Webber's race has already been compromised to help Vettel at the front with a setup too heavily biased towards a dry one lap pace - notice how he didnt lose the usual two tenths in the final sector.

Also is it just me or do they seem to wave red flags too readily these days. When was the last time we had a good old fashioned wet race from start to finish.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 12:06

Alonso pretty much needs Vettel out. Can't see him overhauling Vettel if he finishes.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 12:30

I'm starting to get bored of Webber's role in F1 and although I quite like him as a person, he just isn't good enough for Red Bull and as a result makes F1 worse off because of his failure to challenge and stop Vettel's domination over the past years.

Webber is just Vettel's puppet. Webber was never going to admit to the media what his real race strategy is. Everyone knows Webber is going to help Vettel win this title, he's contracted to Red Bull for another year. I fully expect going into turn 1 that Vettel would have jumped Webber and then Mark is used as Vettel's rear gunner in holding off Alonso's charge. Obvious and predictable.

Hopes for the race
- Hoping for a Hamilton win to sign off in style.
- Alonso somehow wins the title but it's looking unlikely
- Schumacher has a good race in the points.
- Heikki gets Caterham above Marussia
- McLaren beat Ferrari in constructors
- The race doesn't turn into a farse through streams of water causing multiple safety cars and a lack of real racing action.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 15:05

dry race. Vettel three time champion

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 15:25

No rain is no surprise - fate had decided the eventual outcome when Vettel received more luck than a Euro millions winner back in Abu Dhabi.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 15:49

Looks like rain to me!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 15:56

Looks like rain to me too. Spitting now.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 15:56

Indeed dave it's raining despite a supposed dry race Laugh

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 15:56

PS the chatbox is open at the bottom of the page if you want to join us for the GP Smile

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:05

WOW game on!!!

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:05

Oh dear
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:07

Waiting patiently for all the indignation about Alonsos luck
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:10

Can someone explain why Vettel's daft move into Senna isn't been investigated?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:14

Because Senna was trying to go into a gap that was never going to exist.

Vettel storming it, Button passes Hamilton
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:16

GSC wrote:Because Senna was trying to go into a gap that was never going to exist.

So what? He still cut across. There have been penalties for far less, once again we have inconsistency from the Stewards

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:17

He had to turn into a corner and wasn't going to see him. Vettel did nothing wrong lol.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:19

Vettel is driving well here. He should have this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:19

I agree with you. But we've had drivers penalised for less

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:22

So much for Webber not moving over....

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:26

Vettel passed Kobayashi under Yellows nothing being done

#shambles

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 16:28

Fernando wrote:Vettel passed Kobayashi under Yellows nothing being done

#shambles

We've also had him cutting across a driver, that has carried a penalty for other drivers. What's going on?

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:04

hmmmm.... no pens.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:25

Just about sums up Hamilton's luck this season!!!

Watch someone, say it was his fault!!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:27

I wish the Sky Commentators would get on the page quicker. They're getting excited about Alonso being in 4th place, forgetting that Hulkenburg has a penalty and Massa is 3rd!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:31

Drive through for hulkenberg, but nothing about vettel. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:33

Spelling error on the radar screen Laugh

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:39

Waiting for the inevitable cry that schumi moved over for vettel
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:42

Vettel should be 20 seconds behind where he is now. HUlkenberg gets a pen for sliding into Lewis, not a lot Hulk could have done. Vettel chops senna and nothing. Same again with the yellow flag incident

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:42

GSC wrote:Waiting for the inevitable cry that schumi moved over for vettel

Why would we 'cry' about that, when it's not true?

Kindly learn to enter into a debate in a correct manner, i.e. Vettel has been lucky, in comparison to other penalties given out over the last few seasons, to get away without one.

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:44

I enter a debate if its worth entering tbh. The weekly cry about Vettel isn't.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:47

GSC wrote:I enter a debate if its worth entering tbh. The weekly cry about Vettel isn't.

We'll just assume you agree that he's been lucky. Incidentally, there is nothing wrong with having some luck - so why you carp about people pointing the inconsistency of the Stewards out, is beyond me

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:50

Yes!

So much forVettels luck, he gets clobbered and does it!

I suppose we'll be hearing about how he was lucky not to be trashed and not unlucky to be hit.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:51

Critical_mass wrote:Drive through for hulkenberg, but nothing about vettel. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
The drive through benefitted Alonso but not Vettel.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 25 Nov 2012 - 17:51

bogbrush wrote:Yes!

So much forVettels luck, he gets clobbered and does it!

I suppose we'll be hearing about how he was lucky not to be trashed and not unlucky to be hit.

Schumi moved out the way, Alonso was in no way lucky 2nd and 3rd collided etc.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next