The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 3 players in the world in every position

+14
MacKnocked-on
gleesonisgod
ChequeredJersey
BristolDave
Cyril
leicestertinytiger
wales606
yappysnap
Wi11
ultra
Geordie
theslosty
RogerLewis
king_carlos
18 posters

Go down

Top 3 players in the world in every position Empty Top 3 players in the world in every position

Post by king_carlos Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:08

A strange sounding thread I accept but I got the idea from the "One player doesn't make a team" thread about Dan Carter and NZ in which someone mentioned that almost everyone in the All Blacks first choice side would probably be in the top 5 in the world in their position, maybe the top 3.

Sounded ridiculous at first reading but when I thought about it they claim probably isn't too far off. Also it gives a healthy opportunity for the usual debates of international bias etc with peoples different choices! Wink

So for what it's worth here's mine:

Loosehead: The beast, Woodcock, Healy

Hooker: Du Plessis, Hore, Best

Tighthead: Adam Jones, Cole, Franks

Second Row: Etzebeth, Sharpe, POC - I've no idea how Matfields playing these days but probably still warrants a place there, same goes for Thorn.

Blindside: Dusautoir, Ferris, Lydiate

Openside: McCaw, Pocock, Warburton - Many will disagree with Warburton at the moment but there you go.

No 8: Read, Harinordoquy, Parisse

Scrum-Half: Genia, Pienaar (sorry Biltong!), Aaron Smith - not many SH's really throw their hands up at the moment

Fly-Half: Carter, Nick Evans, errr Sexton - All northern hemisphere sides other than Ireland struggling at FH, SA are in a transition and Beale is already at FB!

Inside centre: Nonu, Roberts, McCabe - Sonny Bill not considered due to his impending move back to league

Outside centre: Conrad Smith, BOD, Jonathan Davies

Wing: Habana, O'Connor, Bowe - Several others are very close IMO - Jane, Ioane, Drew Mitchell, North etc

Full Back: Dagg, Beale, Kearney (Halfpenny unlucky to just miss out)

Obviously this thread is hugely reliant on personal opinion and will spark many an argument but that's my best shot. Apologies to anyone I've overlooked due to not seeing them play due to the league they play in etc. A harder task than many will think however as differing knowledge of players current form comes into mind and opinions on which position is a players strongest will inevitably be argued (Beale and O'Connor spring to mind from the above).

What doing this has done is open my eyes to the real shortage of truly world class players in many positions!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Top 3 players in the world in every position Empty Re: Top 3 players in the world in every position

Post by RogerLewis Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:11

Would Priestland get into your top 1000 fly halves.

RogerLewis

Back to top Go down

Top 3 players in the world in every position Empty Re: Top 3 players in the world in every position

Post by king_carlos Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:18

He'd slide in there before Farrell! Wink At least on form Priestland can do more than kick.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:19

Agree with most of that, I think Fofana is currently better than Roberts though.

theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:22

From an England fan...thats a depressing read...but accurate....only Cole is any good.
Hopefully launchbury can add himself to the list soon.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by ultra Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:30

From a NH fan that list is entirely over optimistic on the how good some of these guys are. BOD? Not any more. Davies? not yet. Harinordoquy? not any more...Lydiate? Ferris? Not compared to there SH counterparts. Wing...Bowe? C'mon, stoppit
In that whole list only Cole and Jenks have merit, (and maybe BOD a few years ago!).....

ultra

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:38

ultra wrote:From a NH fan that list is entirely over optimistic on the how good some of these guys are. BOD? Not any more. Davies? not yet. Harinordoquy? not any more...Lydiate? Ferris? Not compared to there SH counterparts. Wing...Bowe? C'mon, stoppit
In that whole list only Cole and Jenks have merit, (and maybe BOD a few years ago!).....

Jenks isn't in that list!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:39

king_carlos wrote:A strange sounding thread I accept but I got the idea from the "One player doesn't make a team" thread about Dan Carter and NZ in which someone mentioned that almost everyone in the All Blacks first choice side would probably be in the top 5 in the world in their position, maybe the top 3.

Sounded ridiculous at first reading but when I thought about it they claim probably isn't too far off. Also it gives a healthy opportunity for the usual debates of international bias etc with peoples different choices! Wink

So for what it's worth here's mine:

Loosehead: The beast, Woodcock, Healy

Hooker: Du Plessis, Hore, Best

Tighthead: Adam Jones, Cole, Franks

Second Row: Etzebeth, Sharpe, POC - I've no idea how Matfields playing these days but probably still warrants a place there, same goes for Thorn.

Blindside: Dusautoir, Ferris, Lydiate

Openside: McCaw, Pocock, Warburton - Many will disagree with Warburton at the moment but there you go.

No 8: Read, Harinordoquy, Parisse

Scrum-Half: Genia, Pienaar (sorry Biltong!), Aaron Smith - not many SH's really throw their hands up at the moment

Fly-Half: Carter, Nick Evans, errr Sexton - All northern hemisphere sides other than Ireland struggling at FH, SA are in a transition and Beale is already at FB!

Inside centre: Nonu, Roberts, McCabe - Sonny Bill not considered due to his impending move back to league

Outside centre: Conrad Smith, BOD, Jonathan Davies

Wing: Habana, O'Connor, Bowe - Several others are very close IMO - Jane, Ioane, Drew Mitchell, North etc

Full Back: Dagg, Beale, Kearney (Halfpenny unlucky to just miss out)

Obviously this thread is hugely reliant on personal opinion and will spark many an argument but that's my best shot. Apologies to anyone I've overlooked due to not seeing them play due to the league they play in etc. A harder task than many will think however as differing knowledge of players current form comes into mind and opinions on which position is a players strongest will inevitably be argued (Beale and O'Connor spring to mind from the above).

What doing this has done is open my eyes to the real shortage of truly world class players in many positions!

Team split is
NZ 11
SA 5
Aus 6
Fra 2
Eng 1
Wal 5
Ire 8
Ita 1

I think Fra, Eng, Sco, Arg and PIs can all feel a bit aggrieved :p

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:40

I'd take out a huge amount of those NH players and swap them for their SH equivelants. Even some of the AB's second choice players are better then most other's first choice.

Players that shouldn't be there:

Beast, Best, Jones, Sharpe, Ferris, Lydiate, Warburton, Hari, Parisse, Smith, McCabe, Roberts, Davies, O'Connor, Bowe, Kearney.

I'd have SBW straight in there at 12 seeing as you seem to have ignored current form or fitness with most of your other picks.

It's actually really tough as there just aren't three top quality players in every position.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:57

1. Tony Woodcock, Cian Healy, Rodrigo Roncero
2. Bismark Du Plessis, Andrew Hore, Rory Best
3. Nicholas Mas, Owen Franks, Dan Cole

4. Patricio Albacete, Pascal Pape, Eben Etzebeth
5. Nathan Sharpe, Sam Whitelock, Paul O'Connell

6. Thierry Dusatoir, Dan Lydiate, Stephen Ferris
7. Ritchie McCaw, David Pocock, Michael Hooper
8. Keiran Read, Sergio Parisse, Louis Picamoles

9. Will Genia, Aaron Smith, Ruan Pienaar
10. Dan Carter, Aaron Cruden, Toby Flood

12. Ma' Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams, Jamie Roberts
13. Conrad Smith, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Davies

11. Digby Ioane, Bryan Habana, George North
14. Cory Jane, Tommy Bowe, J.P Pieterson
15. Israel Dagg, Leigh Halfpenny, Rob Kearney
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by leicestertinytiger Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 20:58

Although McAlister isn't playing internationally at the moment I think he's the best inside centre around. He's got the physicality of a strong ball carrier with the playmaking of a fly half

leicestertinytiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:01

The only NH players I'd keep in there are Cole and Dusatoir and possibly Jones, Sexton and Kearney/Halfpenny.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:08

Surely Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe deserves to be in there??

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Wi11 Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:25

Loosehead: Taumalolo, Woodcock, Ayerza?

Hooker: Du Plessis, Smit, Brits

Tighthead: A Jones, Cole, C Johnstone

Second Row: Etzebeth?, Pape?, Grey? probably the hardest position to shine in

Blindside: Dusautoir, Ferris, O'Brien

Openside: McCaw, Alberts, Pocock

No 8: Lobbe, Picamoles, Parisse

Scrum-Half: Genia, Pienaar, Parra

Fly-Half: Carter, Hernandez, Cooper

Inside centre: Nonu, Mapasua, SB Williams?

Outside centre: Conrad Smith, Fofana, G Pisi?

Wing: Habana, Jane, Savea

Full Back: Dagg, Beale, Kearney

9 NZ, 7 SA, 5 Fra, 4 Aus, 3 Arg, 3 Sam, 3 Ire, 1 Eng, 1 Wal, 1 Sco, 1 Ita, 1 Ton

Wi11

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:34

All my opinion and it's always subject to a little change:

15- Dagg, Kearney, Medard (Beale off form then playing 10)
14- Jane, (O'Connor WHEN AROUND), North, Savea
13- Smith, Ashley-Cooper, JD2
12- SBW, Giteau, Nonu
11- Pietersen, Halfpenny, Nalaga
10- Carter, Cruden=Evans=Michalak (can't separate)
9- Genia, Parra, Pienarr
8- Read, JMF, Picamoles
7- McCaw, O'Brien, Poccock (Juan Smith or Schalk Burger when around)
6- Dusautoir, Alberts, ((probably would be Kaino but he's been gone awhile)), Brown=Ferris
5- Thorn, Botha, POC
4- Whitelock, Gray, Maestri
3- Franks, Cole, Mas
2- Du Plessis, Mealamu, Strauss
1- Healy, Woodcock, Ayerza

NZ- 14 (+1) (ties = a half)
SA- 6 (+2)
Australia - 4(+1)
France- 6 1/2
Argentina- 2 (probably under-represented)
England- 1
Wales- 3 (maybe over-represented)
Ireland- 4 1/2
Scotland- 1 1/2
Fiji - 1

Last edited by ChequeredJersey on Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:46; edited 1 time in total
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:38

I haven't differentiated between the two wings
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:50

1: The Beast, Healy, Woodcock

2: Du Plessis, Best, Hore

3: Mas, Cole,Franks

4/5: O'Connell, Etzebeth, Whitelock

6: Ferris, Lydiate, Kaino

7: Pocock, Mccaw, Dusatoir

8: Lobbe, Read, Picamoles

9: Genia, Smith, Pienaar

10: Carter, Cruden, Michalak

11: Ioane, Habana, Savea

12: Fofana, SBW, Nonu

13: Smith, Rougerie, BOD

14: Jane, Bowe, Pietersen

15: Dagg, Beale, Kearney

Breakdown: 16 NZ, 7 IRE, 6 SA, 6 FR, 4 AUS, 1 WA, 1 ENG, 1 ARG

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:54

I have no idea how BOD, POC and Bowe are making these top 3 in the world sides right now.

Not a pop at Ireland but they are being very over-represented in some of these sides, even taking into account the Kidney factor.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 21:55

Not that many standout SRs around for me, why POC is in there
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 22:15

Richie Gray was at least as good if not better than his All Black opponents, I think he would get into any global team at present.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 23 Nov 2012 - 22:34

MacKnocked-on wrote:Richie Gray was at least as good if not better than his All Black opponents, I think he would get into any global team at present.
+1

Don't expect the muppets to notice tho, he's Scots

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 1:13

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I have no idea how BOD, POC and Bowe are making these top 3 in the world sides right now.

Not a pop at Ireland but they are being very over-represented in some of these sides, even taking into account the Kidney factor.

When I named them after some thought it looked odd but when I thought about it I couldn't think of too many players who shouted out to replace them! Richie Gray was very close in the second row, Fernandez Lobbe was also extremely close as a blindside - I've always been a huge admirer of him as a player so hurt to leave him out.

In the centre I've left Sonny Bill out as he is now moving back to league as stated - otherwise he'd be straight in there.

Savea also came very close on the wing.

At prop Ayerza only just missed out - personally I'd rather have him in a side than the Beast but it's hard to argue with the SA scrum from recent years.

Louw was also very close to usurping Warburton at open-side but just missed out.

So as said many players very close that would inevitably cause argument, but I stand by my selection!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 7:31

1 Woodcock Domingo Beast

2 Du Plesis Mealamu Servat

3 A Jones Franks du Plessis

4/5 Whitelock Etzebeth Romano

6 Dausitoir Kiano Messam

7 McCaw Alberts Ouedraogo

8 Read Parisse Lobbe

9 Smith Genia Pienaar

10 Carter Michelak Cruden

11/14 Savea Ioane Jane

12 Nonu Steyn Fofana

13 Smith Davies Fritz

15 Dagg Clerc Mermoz

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 7:37

I would put a case for Adriaan Strauss, he has been very good in the absense of Bismarck du Plessis.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 8:38

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:I have no idea how BOD, POC and Bowe are making these top 3 in the world sides right now.

BOD and POC were in great form before their injuries..... POC and should definitley be there, who would you put instead of BOD?

Bowe is still world class and finding it very hard to show it these days with way Kidney has us playing.

I wouldn't say Ireland are very over-represented you cannot argue with Healy, Ferris, Kearney, Best.... BOD POC and Bowe you could argue for or against but all 3 are still world class.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 10:48

I dont think Gray has helped himself going to Sale....however i still think he should be on most lists...he's an awesome SR. He has the lot pace, athleticism, power, size....

Once he gets away from sale and goes to a good club...he should go on to be one of the premier SR's in the world for years to come.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 11:24

How long was his contract at Sale Geordie?

Agree about him, he was brilliant in the 6N's and could be doing so much more if he was at a club like Leinster or Quins.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sat 24 Nov 2012 - 11:30

ultra wrote:From a NH fan that list is entirely over optimistic on the how good some of these guys are. BOD? Not any more. Davies? not yet. Harinordoquy? not any more...Lydiate? Ferris? Not compared to there SH counterparts. Wing...Bowe? C'mon, stoppit

Sad but true. Very generous on British and Irish players, minus Ferris, who I desperately want to see in the next Lions team fit and on form.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down