The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you Grip it?

+13
LondonJonnyO
Maverick
BlueCoverman
SmithersJones
GWR-Golfer
drive4show
Davie
golfermartin
graeme
Noshankingtonite
K@S
5531stuart
McLaren
17 posters

Go down

What grip do you use

How do you Grip it? Vote_lcap58%How do you Grip it? Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 21 ]
How do you Grip it? Vote_lcap33%How do you Grip it? Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 12 ]
How do you Grip it? Vote_lcap8%How do you Grip it? Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
How do you Grip it? Vote_lcap0%How do you Grip it? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 36

How do you Grip it? Empty How do you Grip it?

Post by McLaren Sat 23 Apr 2011, 1:36 pm

I use the interlocking grip because that is how I started and it now feels the most natural and comfortable to me.

But what are the advantages of each of the grips?

Do people ever change, if so why?

Just curious to hear the reasons for peoples choice of grip and what they feel are the benefits of their chosen grip.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

How do you Grip it? Empty Re: How do you Grip it?

Post by 5531stuart Sat 23 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

Brought up using overlap, but had to change to baseball grip due to a damaged finger on right hand, baseball was only grip i could be pain free, not ideal i know but it keeps me playing. Now it's 'tennis elbow' i'm struggling with, any tips to relieve pain? Only clean ones please.

5531stuart

Back to top Go down

Post by K@S Sat 23 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

I started at school with the interlocking grip, I still have small hands so continue to use it as well as using a thin grip.

K@S

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 23 Apr 2011, 3:48 pm

I'm an odd b*gger (so my friends and family tell me). I play nearly all my shots with an interlocking grip (small hands), BUT I tend to chip and putt with the vardon grip. So that's about 70% / 30%
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Sat 23 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

i started with an overlapping grip but seem to remember some problem with a hand during my teens (might have cut it or something) and i had to swap to an interlocking grip as it was too painful. i then stuck with it.

thanks mac, i might go and try the overlapping to see what it feels like, having reminded me!

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 23 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

Vardon grip, but when I have to play left handed shots (fortunately fairly infrequently), I use an interlocking. Just feels more comfortable.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 23 Apr 2011, 4:36 pm

Just c**ked up the vote. Clicked interlocking instead of overlapping. Doh

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Sat 23 Apr 2011, 4:39 pm

I've just edited the poll so that you can cancel your vote and vote again for the correct one

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 23 Apr 2011, 5:04 pm

Did not realise the interlocking grip was for small hands. I do not have small hands and use it, you guys are making me worry that I have the wrong grip. I did flirt with the vardon grip when I was around 15 but have no idea why i did not stick with it.

I have a feeling now that I think about it that I use the interlocking because around the time I took up the game I read an article about tiger which said he used it.

I guess now is the right time to admit that a basically play the game because I saw tiger win the masters in 97.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Sat 23 Apr 2011, 5:57 pm

Davie, Very clever stuff - done it right now. Very Happy

McLaren - I'd say play with whatever feels comfortable. Wouldn't consider changing my grip unless absolutely forced to.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 23 Apr 2011, 9:13 pm

I always used to play with an interlocking grip but a few years ago I started getting a really painful knuckle where the fingers interlocked. I decided to change to overlapping as a result and went to the range every night for a week to get used to it. Then at the weekend I won a 36hole open using my new grip on the course for the first time. Stuck with it ever since.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by GWR-Golfer Sat 23 Apr 2011, 9:32 pm

I use the Interlocking grip as I had small hands when I was a kid..... Also I don't use a glove (and not because I'm Scottish & trying to save money). I think it gives a more solid one piece grip, I have tried the Varden a few times but I feel my hands didn't work together.

Interesting that both Jack & Tiger use the interlocking grip as well, wonder why they chose interlocking?
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sat 23 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm

always used overlapping, tried interlocking for a couple of months last year because I do have small hands but didn't really feel any benefit.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sat 23 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm

I have always used overlapping as well.

Rather oddly though I putt using the baseball grip. I can't even remember why I putt using a different grip but have done so for so long that it just feels like second nature now!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 24 Apr 2011, 6:52 am

It was generally taught years ago to those with smaller hands to use the interlocking grip to help hands work in unison. Nicklaus used it because he indeed has fairly small hands and Tiger I read somewhere wanted to emulate the great man as he thought if its good enough for Jack then its good enough for. Kind of been proved right there is guess.

The thought process though is that you lose some clubhead speed with the interlocking that you could achieve with the Vardon, can't remember the exact science behind why without digging out one of my books. Likewise you can get even greater clubhead speed with the baseball grip as the hands work more independently of each other as they are not locked together in anyway but the issue with this is the lower hand can get ahead of the upper hand e.g for a right hander the right hand working fast than the left causing more hook shots. But the baseball is great for youngsters coming into the game as it helps them generate greater clubhead speed that once they have the ability to create can be kept and transferred over when they switch to a more conventional interlocking or vardon. This is the very reason I've not persuaded my daughter to stop the baseball grip yet she's 11 and has a year or 2 of developing before I get her to change and she's already ripping it and shooting low 90's for a full 18.

But to answer the question, I too use interlocking as its something my father got me and my brother to use as we had smaller hands and its stuck with me. I've experimented with the vardon but just don't feel my hands are connected enough when using it

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 24 Apr 2011, 7:54 am

I use the overlap to slow my hands down. And also to lock them together and prevent flipping one over the other.

Now. Anyone else think maves had a few beers?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Sun 24 Apr 2011, 8:28 am

LJ a few beers! I stopped the beers a few hours back and went onto the Bourbon surprised I can see keys on this phone! The joys of everything on trip being a freebie

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Sun 24 Apr 2011, 9:47 am

I did have a suspicion that booze was involved. Ah how i miss the days of other people picking up the tab!
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:04 am

Interlock for me. Initially taught Vardon but simply found interlock a better fit for me. Chip with a reverse-overlap putting grip though.

Don't really subscribe to the idea that Vardon or interlock are better than the other.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 26 Apr 2011, 9:26 am

I use a baseball grip
Used to use an interlocking grip but had a few lessons to fix my slice and the pro suggested trying the baseball grip as i was having trouble releasing the club and that grip promotes more of a hook. It helped and i've used it ever since.
I do use interlocking on chips though as i want my hands to work as one
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by goldwolf Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:37 pm

Interlocking.

Every other grip seems too loose to me, feels like I will see my club windmilling down the fairway if I used them properly!!

Last edited by goldwolf on Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

goldwolf

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 27 Apr 2011, 9:44 pm

Was shown the Vardon grip by my Dad 50 years ago. Was unaware there was any other style of grip for many, many years and use it for everything, apart from............... you know........ Wink
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Wed 27 Apr 2011, 10:05 pm

Actuslly i tend to use the vardon on the course. Afterwards i prefer a baseball grip on the cats tail. I find that i can throw it a lot further using that method
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Thu 28 Apr 2011, 7:59 pm

LJ

Have found right hand on the cat's tail and whirling it around the head works best for me!

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down