The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do?

+26
sensisball
NeilyBroon
InjuredYetAgain
MacKnocked-on
alive555
gboycottnut
Tramptastic
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Bathman_in_London
Imperialbigdave
damage_13
R!skysports
George Carlin
funnyExiledScot
Pat_Mustard
LondonTiger
Captain_Sensible
RuggerRadge2611
tigertattie
Portnoy's Complaint
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
thebluesmancometh
TJ1
Looseheaded
RDW
30 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do? - Page 3 Empty You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do?

Post by RDW Wed 28 Nov 2012, 9:34 am

First topic message reminder :

Right, let's say that that the SRU have been watching 606V2 and have decided that one of us is good enough to be Scotland coach, based on our informed opinions and obvious tactical nous.

What would you do? WHo would you pick? What tactics would you use? What would you do to regain player confidence and performances?

Now I know there's probably going to be some wild calls here, like picking the Messiah straight away irrespective of Glasgow game time, and no doubt 21st Schitzoid will call for all Edinburgh players to have their contracts terminated straight away, but here are some home truths that will hopefully put some realism behind your choices.

As coach you need to deal with the following:

We are currently ranked 12th in the world - our lowest ever

We need to build towards a world cup in 2.5 years time - how many players do you keep? How many do you bring in?

There's a 6N starting in 8 weeks or so, and immediate results will be needed. Do you keep the same core of players or go for broke and bring in new guys?

Is Laidlaw a 9 or a 10?

Do you like prawn sandwiches or egg and cress when you are meeting with the blaziraty?

So over to you 606V2 - if you were Scotland coach, what would you do?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do? - Page 3 Empty Re: You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do?

Post by Shifty Thu 29 Nov 2012, 6:15 pm

I'd do what Steve Hansen did with Wales when he took over as coach. Basically kick the established players and identify the best young players Scotland have an hammer into the professionalism and a god work ethic along with decent coaching standards.

What have Scotland got to lose? Their wooden spoon? censored
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do? - Page 3 Empty Re: You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do?

Post by 123456789 Thu 29 Nov 2012, 6:40 pm

Shifty wrote:I'd do what Steve Hansen did with Wales when he took over as coach. Basically kick the established players and identify the best young players Scotland have an hammer into the professionalism and a god work ethic along with decent coaching standards.

What have Scotland got to lose? Their wooden spoon? censored

I agree with everything you say, the players need to gain an attitude of wanting to win more than their opposition, working harder, training harder and wanting the ball more. You can have all the talent in the world but unless you have at least twelve players who are mentally strong and won't take a step back. When you look at the England team of 2003 they had players like Dallaglio and Johnson who wouldn't take a step back and had a frightening desire to win the game, someone needs to instil that in the likes of Gray and Denton.
I would suggest keeping the two existing coaches, one as attack - the other as defence, then appointing a New Zealander like Blackadder or Smith. Then appoint Telfer or one of his "hard" forwards from the 1990s, such as Calder or Sole, as an assistant: someone who can scare the shoite out the players, someone to instil a passionate and strong mentality and to develop a desire to win and to earn the shirt not just expect it.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:14 pm

funnyExiledScot
Getting the team to play well as a unit, and deploying the correct game plan. There's the issue. Despite making a complete hash of selection for years, I actually think Robinson towards the end had arrived in just about the right place in terms of personnel.

Indeed - but in the process these guys have less experience than they should, he has ruined the confidence of some and has confused them by trying to make them play a game plan they do not buy into

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:16 pm

yeah and then Johnson let the shackles off after the heart to heart and we got bullied off the park by SA and shat on by NZ all the same. Ho hum.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:19 pm

Id also say that England lack structure and organisation and any real plan rather than suffer from over prescriptive play. If you look at how quickly teams like NZ get organised compared to this current England team its embaressing. Last 6 Nations was a continuous stream of Brian Moore shouting "if youre going round the corner you need to do it as a team".
Its largely only in broken play from turnovers England have managed to get the backs flying, and even then we've seen things like Brown running away from the pass.
I dont buy that this England side is over coached.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 29 Nov 2012, 9:28 pm

Followed the under 18 cup final on Twitter - am I right in thinking that was Scott Hastings son that scored the winning try and converted from the touchline for Watsons? One for the future!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 29 Nov 2012, 10:16 pm

You are right

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:10 pm

Right, now i'm ready to tackle this bad boy! As 606v2 is just as much about listening as it is about expressing your own opinion, I pinched several bits I liked from my fellow Scotland fans. Then I added a bit of my own thoughts which are of course fantastic thumbsup

606v2 fans (bits I really like)

Radge

"In open play I would Ideally like to see the big men, Ford, Gray, Murray, Denton, Gilchrist build the momentum and recycle the ball well and when the time is right unleash our backline."

(Sounds great to me, its what made Edinburgh one of the most exciting teams in the NH last season and it could do the same for Scotland in my opinion.)

"9. Laidlaw (C) - In France the Scrum half Morgan Parra is refered to as le petit général. My 1st order as Scotland coach would be to get Laidlaw back in the 9 jersey ASAP. Laidlaw I think could be the perfect Scottish Captain from the 9 berth where he can use his keen rugby brain and small stature to dictate everything about the game. I would also give him the captaincy and kicking duties. We also have able deputies in the form of Pyrgos, Cusiter and Blair."
(In my opinion, another fantastic idea. However, i would like Laidlaw to be playing 9 at Edinburgh more frequently before he gets the reigns at 9 for Scotland. Sadly, I doubt this will happen.)

Captain_sensible

"My game plan would be reasonably straightforward. We have a very strong pack, and we should make our set-piece play as solid as possible. Our scrum could be a real weapon, and our lineout should be Fort Knox-like in its security. We also have a very mobile pack – guys like Grant, Ford, Gray, Denton, Brown can run all day and need to be told to hit space or weak shoulders, not just bulldoze into contact all the time. We also have a back-three to die for. We need to gain territory, our forwards need to smash some holes, suck in defenders and set the ball up so our half backs can release guys like Maitland, Visser and Hogg."

What would you do?

Well i think many others have answered this question well. Turn our scrum into something teams will fear, return our lineouts to near perfection (as they once were) and get our forwards working better. Support break away runners and provide options. Don't rely on set piece so much, learn to play well in broken play when things are unpredictable, understanding when to defend and when to attack etc etc.

To add, I would also like a higher degree of fitness. I think several games we've lost over last few years have been due to a lack of fitness. Players should also be thinking about when the best moments are to expel energy. Its no good going at 110% from your own 22. That should be reserved for desperate defence and when in the oppositions half.

Who would you pick?

1. Grant
2. Ford
3. Murray
4. Gray
5. Kellock
6. Brown
7. Fusaro
8. Denton
9. Laidlaw
10. Heathcote
11. Visser
12. Scott
13. Dunbar
14. Maitland
15. Tonks

Now I think Tonks is the man who can provide Scotland with a safety buffer. He caught my eye the minute i saw him play for Edinburgh and he has been very very consistent for them this season, even in our totally botched heineken cup games. I think his style of play suits Scotland very well and he would be great at preventing teams like SA, Wales and Ireland from beating us at the territorial kicking game. He's one of those players who just seems to do something great every time he gets the ball.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm

Oh I totally forgot. Assuming Maitland continues club form, I think we have a great combination of wingers. We have Maitland who is 6'2" & 92kg, a physical and extremely fast winger who will break tackles and score trys. Then we have Visser, the best in the business at finishing trys, a wizard of rugby really. This means when teams come to play Scotland they have to think about how they are going to deal with these two very different type of wingers. Its like having North and Bowe on the same team, which is what we'll most likely see in the Lions next year!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 29 Nov 2012, 11:29 pm

I don't mind the idea of moving laidlaw back to 9, but let's be honest, he was hardly a world beater in the position playing there previously. Rory lawson mark 2.

Any glasgow fans hugely excited about fusaro at 7 this season. Is ditching rennie for him the way forward?

Heathcote goes straight in at 10. Based on what? Which performanes form him this season make him a better bet than laidlaw, jackson or weir?

I also don't buy this idea of players' confidence being ruined. In the same breath as people say we need to instill 'mental toughness', they say that some poor sole being called onto the bench a few times and dropped somehow destroys him as a man. Josh lewsey, no shrinking violet, was made to wait several years by woodward before finally getting that 15 jersey permanently. Did him no harm. I don't see how parachuting in someone like +eathcote, crowning him the chosen one for the next world cup and making him the spine of the new young order is going to improve 'mental toughness'.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 30 Nov 2012, 12:13 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Followed the under 18 cup final on Twitter - am I right in thinking that was Scott Hastings son that scored the winning try and converted from the touchline for Watsons? One for the future!

I'd start him in the 6 nations personally. We've got to have an eye on the 2019 world cup. Playing him now will make him tough, mentally. He and bennett at twickers please....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 30 Nov 2012, 8:30 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Followed the under 18 cup final on Twitter - am I right in thinking that was Scott Hastings son that scored the winning try and converted from the touchline for Watsons? One for the future!

I'd start him in the 6 nations personally. We've got to have an eye on the 2019 world cup. Playing him now will make him tough, mentally. He and bennett at twickers please....
I think somebody's just being silly now!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:08 am

I think Fusaro has been underwhelming this year compared to last season - very much like Dunbar. I also don't like his temperament and discipline.

He's very dynamic but I just think he's too small for international rugby - yes people will point out Neil Back in the past and Michael Hooper for Aus, but Back played in a different generation and Hooper is an absolute unit!

Suspect this might not go down well....!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:10 am

Just on a side note Toonie has put himself out of the running for Scotland coach. Good man, at least he acknowledges he has limitations!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:11 am

RDW, I know where you're coming from - I agree that neither Fusaro not Dunbar have quite pushed on from the end of last season as hoped. Both still good players mind. I also know what you mean about Fusaro's size - he has to be that much better in other departments to compensate for a slighter build, nothing to argue with there OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:12 am

NeilyBroon wrote:Just on a side note Toonie has put himself out of the running for Scotland coach. Good man, at least he acknowledges he has limitations!
Thats a relief!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:15 am

I also don't see what the rush to drop Rennie is - let's face it, he was one of the best 7s in the NH this year, at least! To be acknowledged in the IRB player of the year says it all (although the fact Farrell got in the top 4 maybe discredits it!!)

Rennie is probably my favourite Scotland player to watch - he does things differently to most other 7s and does it dam well.

Let's hope his injury isn't too bad - I tweeted the Edinburgh team to ask how long he's out for but had no reply.

He deserves to be a Lion IMO!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:35 am

By the way where is schiz? He hasn't posted here since Robinson's demise has he?

I'm starting to think that Schiz was Andy Robinson's Tyler Durden in a fight club-esque split personality disorder.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 30 Nov 2012, 9:44 am

melting down soap most probably

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:02 am

I'd agree with that, RDW, altho I don't think Rennie has been on top form either this season, so far

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 30 Nov 2012, 10:03 am

True, again a victim of Bradley's rotation policy I think!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 30 Nov 2012, 1:24 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:melting down soap most probably

Soap??? In Glasgow???

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 1:32 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:melting down soap most probably

Soap??? In Glasgow???

Laugh
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri 30 Nov 2012, 1:46 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

ASBO - this is very short sighted of you. Out with the old and in with the new. We must give youth a chance. What have we to lose, our Wooden Spoon?

Just think how good he'll be with 50 caps by his early 20's. With any luck he'll leave Scottish rugby next year and go to France for a few years.

An inability to grow facial hair + a two year holiday in France watching professional rugby = world class rugby player.

thumbsup

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 30 Nov 2012, 2:48 pm

What a great thread, and some of responses have been spot on.

Most of what I think has been discussed, below is just a few key moves that, in my opinion, absolutely must be done by the incoming coach, and implemented in time for the 6N:

1. Move Laidlaw to 9 for both Edinburgh and Scotland. A good stop gap at 10, but not the long term answer.

2. Captaincy to Laidlaw - I hugely respect Kelly Brown, and is one of our best players; a captain, however, he is not.

3. A new slate in the midfield. I think the 10,12,13 axis has been our main shortcoming for a long time. Out of: Heathcote, Weir, Leonard, Hunter, Dunbar, Horne, Scott, Ansbro, Hogg and Bennett, we must be able to find a mix potent enough to release our dangerous back three.

4. Pick players in their respective positions - Kelly Brown is a 6, and a 6 he shall remain.

In the long term, Scottish rugby needs to do a huge amount to change its fortunes - increase player numbers, improve quality of youth competition, develop a 3rd pro team, reduce the distance between the club and pro game, create a vibrant community around the pro teams! BUT, with the players we have, I don't think we are far away from at least being competitive. Small, incremental and sustainable improvements are what is required; 2 wins this six nations is what I would be targeting. Allied to a clear and structured plan to create a group of players capable of competing on the world stage in 3 years time.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Fri 30 Nov 2012, 5:01 pm

Another point about the potential new coach, doesn't look to be Lineen, he's coaching the U20 side to the JWC next year so he won't be interim at least, and doubtful to be the full Scottish coach

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 30 Nov 2012, 5:06 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

ASBO - this is very short sighted of you. Out with the old and in with the new. We must give youth a chance. What have we to lose, our Wooden Spoon?

Just think how good he'll be with 50 caps by his early 20's. With any luck he'll leave Scottish rugby next year and go to France for a few years.

An inability to grow facial hair + a two year holiday in France watching professional rugby = world class rugby player.

thumbsup
Funny but facetious FES old socks.

What is your preferred backline for the 6N and why?

You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do? - Page 3 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 30 Nov 2012, 5:56 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

thumbsup

Out of interest who would you start at 13, De Luca not very good, Ansbro's injured and Max Evans is playing terribly and Dunbar is more of a 12. If Bennett plays well for Glasgow then I don't see the problem with him playing against England if he doesn't play well or at all then yes don't play him but if he's as good as has been said then why not start him?

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 30 Nov 2012, 6:29 pm

Depending on how he gets on at 13 for Glasgow ,Hogg might be in line to play 13 in the 6n (saw him score a hat trick in the Rabo last season when I seem to recall he was at 13). That would mean that Tonks could play at fullback.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:35 am

The joys of social media - been a few rumblings from players the past few days, obviously reacting to things people are saying!

Tom English had a wee conversation with Jim Hamilton about his article where he cited Hamilton's tweet as being one of the few to give public appreciation of Robinson - English then goes on to say to Hamilton that he thinks the players are mentally soft.

John Beattie Snr then Tweets that Gary Armstrong thinks that the players don't care enough and are only in it for money - Max Evans then retweeted it but didn't say anything more.

Must be tough for these guys to see these things and not react, and must be especially hard if they feel it is not justified, but will hopefully rile them up enough for the England game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sat 01 Dec 2012, 10:53 am

smiling walking off after a defeat is no good. Losing heart halfway thru a game is no good. However I still believe a lot of this is about preparation and thus the team are ill prepared. Perhaps they have got to used to losing but they need a bit more ospirt / passion / determination / pride

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 03 Dec 2012, 5:17 am

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

thumbsup
Funny but facetious FES old socks.

What is your preferred backline for the 6N and why?

You are the next Scotland coach - what do you do? - Page 3 1347041234
Tumbleweed
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3