The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ????

3 posters

Go down

Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ???? Empty Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:30 am

Leonard fought - Hagler, Hearns, Duran, Benitez.... (5-1-1)

Duran fought - Hagler, Hearns, Benitez , Leonard ( 1- 5)

Hearns fought - Hagler, Duran , Leonard, Benitez (2-2-1)

Benitez fought - Hagler, Duran, Leonard, (1-2)

Hagler fought - Leonard, Hearns, Duran ( 2-1)

Benitez was a legend...a three time world champion when this was very rare................and had a better record than Roberto amongst the fab lineup...

Has he been short-changed!!!

Lack of charisma has cost him I reckon and his nationality........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ???? Empty Re: Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ????

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:33 am

Puerto Rican boxers have tended to be more popular than Panamanians I will point out first of all. For me Benitez isn't included because his star shone for a very short time as well as not facing Hagler, had he done it he would probably have been included.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ???? Empty Re: Should Benitez make it the FAB 5 ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 am

Duran was a one off though Ghosty.....

Hagler and Duran stunk as well it has to be said..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 am

Rosario, Laporte, Camacho, Torres, Ortiz, Trinidad among a host of other highly rated and popular puerto ricans, not facing Hagler is the main reason for me.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:42 am

Rosario didn't sell......Nazario 1 after he'd beat Bramble could've been held in a phonebooth........

Trinidad and Camacho.....one was outrageous and the other exciting...

Wilfredo Gomez never sold in America...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:43 am

I'm talking about Tv wise.......Rosario, Gomez all needed high profile opponents or they were stuck on NBC....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:26 am

As Ghosty says, the fact that Benitez didn't complete his set by fighting Hagler probably costs him inclusion in that 'Kings' era. Also, so many of the 'Kings' era highlights took place after Wilfred had departed the world stage; if you take some of the standout fights of that series you'd end up with the likes of Duran-Hagler in '83, Duran-Hearns in '84, Leonard-Hagler in '87 etc, but Benitez was finished as a top line operator by 1982.

I think Benitez was always destined to be secondary to those four in a sense though, whatever the weather. Duran was already a legend thanks to his Lightweight feats before the 'Four Kings' days got rolling, so his all-time standing rested less heavily on his results against them. On the other hand, Benitez had hinted at becoming a legend with his wins over Cervantes and Palomino, but was then unfortunate to encounter those guys before he'd had time to get there. He'd have the Indian sign over Duran most of the time, but I'm not sure he could have ever beaten Leonard, Hearns or Hagler no matter how many attempts he had.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down