The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sampras Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal.

+11
Danny_1982
gboycottnut
hawkeye
banbrotam
Henman Bill
invisiblecoolers
LuvSports!
JuliusHMarx
User 774433
time please
Haddie-nuff
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sampras  Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal. Empty Sampras Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal.

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 11:29 am

Pete Sampras has echoed much of what has been debated on this forum re Rafa´s return . I am sure that Nadal fans will find this article encouraging. For those of you who are not Im sure you will find it debateable at the very least Wink

http://www.10sballs.com/2012/12/07/pete-sampras-knows-rafael-nadal-will-pass-his-record/

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Sampras  Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal. Empty Re: Sampras Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal.

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 1:22 pm

When Nadal is fit, he looks invincible and I am sure that Sampras feels, as do most, that he is only returning because he knows that he can reach the physical fitness required.

I know Sampras has long felt that Nadal would overtake his haul of 14 - in fact he tipped him after AO 2009 to do so before Fed, and I think then, like most again, he possibly felt that Fed would be unable to catch him, let alone overtake him.

The difference for Nadal, whom I believe is the best of the triumvirate of Djokovic, Murray and himself when he is fully fit, is that, unlike Federer, he is not facing any preciously talented young superstars, now or in the near future, aggressively coming up to challenge him - you have to put money on him not only overtaking Sampras, but overtaking Federer as well.

time please

Back to top Go down

Sampras  Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal. Empty Re: Sampras Makes an Encouraging Statement about Nadal.

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 1:27 pm

time please wrote:
The difference for Nadal, whom I believe is the best of the triumvirate of Djokovic, Murray and himself when he is fully fit, is that, unlike Federer, he is not facing any preciously talented young superstars, now or in the near future, aggressively coming up to challenge him - you have to put money on him not only overtaking Sampras, but overtaking Federer as well.
Which talented superstars were challenging Federer at his prime? chin

btw Nadal has no chance of overtaking 17 slams, so I disagree with you there as well lol

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 1:43 pm

It is largely going to depend how well Rafa regains the the old confidence..which again (oh dear here I go) is why I believe he will not play the AO but wait for the Clay court season.. once regaining his strength in his legs and his mental strength (on which Rafa depends as much as the physical aspect of his game)
He will doubtless if not consciously but unconciously have the knee problems at the back of his mind. He will with every successful win get it back Im sure of that. Rafa does nothing by halves and it will be all or nothing for him.
Then and only then will we see Rafa back ..success breeds success.. and he is being doubly cautious before he jumps in the deep end. Missing the AO is now not the be all and end all now.. if he should fall at his first attempt it could well set him back and delay a full recovery even further.

I say dont play Rafa

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Dec 2012, 1:55 pm

I still haven't forgiven Sampras for saying "I'm sure Tim will win this tournament (Wimbledon) one day"

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:06 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
time please wrote:

btw Nadal has no chance of overtaking 17 slams, so I disagree with you there as well lol

You are so busy waiting to disagree with me to pounce on any slight to your precious Rafa, that you don't get what I am saying. Federer had Nadal as one precociously talented young superstar for a start. If you stopped thinking that every post I write is negative about Nadal, you would see I was complimenting him. Without Nadal, Federer would arguably have won another 4 RG, 1 Wimbledon and 1 AO - of course somebody else might have triumphed at RG 06, 07 ,08 and 11 or at W 08 and AO 09 but really although Djokovic and Murray frequently troubled and beat Fed, at the majors only Nadal really could look him in the eye and beat him.

Of course, Nadal has Djokovic who is of the same generation but as I said, I believe Nadal to be the better player. If you believe there is someone that can look Nadal in the eye coming up through the ranks, then I'm all agog to hear.

However, do by all means try and find an insult to your hero in my first post Rolling Eyes

If you weren't so busy being a fan, you might understand that it is possible to salute a great player while questioning other aspects on another thread.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:11 pm

What are you talking about TP? chin

If not anything I felt you were too positive about Nadal. I don't think he will get more than 17 slams as his body won't hold up.

Don't know why you suddenly got really angry.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:13 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I still haven't forgiven Sampras for saying "I'm sure Tim will win this tournament (Wimbledon) one day"

Poor Pete - hard to know what to say when faced with an over eager and insistent BBC entourage!!! Wink At least every passing American, Fed, Nadal and Djokovic are not going to be pressed at every press conference with 'will Andy win a slam' now, but I'm sure the hysteria and the questions will be even more intense at Wimbledon 2013.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:13 pm

As for the talented question, I think my views are clear on that (more superstars present at a certain time makes it harder to win slams).

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:18 pm

If it is possible for Rafa to regain the physical/mental strength, hunger and vitality and confidence that he had in 2010 I believe he can win another 5 slams. However if he has to rely on playing the FO and Wimbledon which it appears he is "hinting" at for the rest of his career I then have grave doubts.
However I do not think in the long-term Rafa will be concerned about his ranking or how many more slams he may or may not win. What he is concerned about is how well he plays when he does play. Whether it is only 500 Tournament or a GS.. it will be important for him to win. And as a fan that is what I want to see
Rafa Nadal playing any match, anywhere, on any court for as many or as few ranking points as he can get ... but play well Rafa and win

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:What are you talking about TP? chin

If not anything I felt you were too positive about Nadal. I don't think he will get more than 17 slams as his body won't hold up.

Don't know why you suddenly got really angry.

I wasn't angry. I was slightly exasperated because you were, whether you admit it now or not, thinking that I had implied that when Nadal reaches 17 slams it will be less of a feat that when Fed did because the former is not facing the challenge that Fed did in his prime and that is why you responded, erroneously, with 'Which talented superstars were challenging Federer at his prime? chin ' which was a completely daft comment in my opinion because the answer is jaw droppingly obvious.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:23 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:As for the talented question, I think my views are clear on that (more superstars present at a certain time makes it harder to win slams).

I get it now - you're saying Rafa had it easy up to 2011.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:27 pm

TP, i think imbl may be saying that other than rafa, who else was there (perhaps dismissing, safin, roddick, hewitt, nalbandian as he has very good records against 3/4 etc) as compared to rafa these guys dont score quite as highly??

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:29 pm

LS, no, what IMBL is saying is that Fed had it easy winning all his slams, but Rafa had it really, really, really tough, so Rafa is the greater player. Simples. Very Happy

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:31 pm

I think we are all agreed LS, JHM and moi on what amritia is saying Very Happy

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

haha, imbl where are you :P ?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:38 pm

He will be fine Haddie - it may take, like it did in 2010, for his feet to hit clay before finding his rhythm completely, but as soon as the first match gets underway, he will go from strength to strength.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 2:50 pm

so hope so tp I really do Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:12 pm

I think you can count on it, as much as there is any certainty in sport Hug

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:25 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
time please wrote:

Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, all talented youngsters came up when Fed's prime period was getting over, I don't see anybody like that for Nadal, all Nadal has his competitors of his age and not a legend in making youngsters who are like 5'6 years younger to him. thumbsup

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:28 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I still haven't forgiven Sampras for saying "I'm sure Tim will win this tournament (Wimbledon) one day"

Some of own Sampras fans [Like Lydian] could not still agree with his statements that he played his best in 2012 Very Happy , Pete was a great player but not a great Analyst. thumbsup

Regarding Tim winning the tournament might still come true, we have whole lot of Tim Hortons generation waiting in wings at Canada Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 3:30 pm

ic
oooooooooooooooooo have a Timmies and a blueberry donut for me please... they are so yummy and the best coffee ever

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:18 pm

Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, all talented youngsters came up when Fed's prime period was getting over, I don't see anybody like that for Nadal, all Nadal has his competitors of his age and not a legend in making youngsters who are like 5'6 years younger to him.

Not sure i agree there IC. Nadal won his first slam when feds was 23 going on 24 that certainly is still in feds prime.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:45 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:ic
oooooooooooooooooo have a Timmies and a blueberry donut for me please... they are so yummy and the best coffee ever

I know Haddie, i am running to near by Timmes to have a coffee, what do u want French Vanilla? cuppa btw starbucks introduced a coffee for $7 , have you tasted it? Crying or Very sad

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:48 pm

LuvSports! wrote:
Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, all talented youngsters came up when Fed's prime period was getting over, I don't see anybody like that for Nadal, all Nadal has his competitors of his age and not a legend in making youngsters who are like 5'6 years younger to him.

Not sure i agree there IC. Nadal won his first slam when feds was 23 going on 24 that certainly is still in feds prime.

Nadal dominated veterans, but can Nadal dominate youngsters? I am not saying Nadal is not talented nor discounting any of his slams, Nadal had tough challenges at the start of his career which he did overcome successfully, but can he do that at the later part of his career against an upcoming youngster? he might do it as we don't have any promising youngsters.

I would really love to see some teens challenging the top and becoming No.1 and No.2 and Nadal still outsmarting them to win a few slams, but don't see that happening.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:53 pm

ic No. I just love Timmies... brewed every 20 mins.. oh my.A french vanilla with two sugars please Starbucks... eat your heart out.
My son lives in Hamilton, is moving to Whitby.
Selling my house here in Spain and moving over asap. honestly
If only for the blueberry donuts.. omg.. do they have a Government Health warning on them. My goodness Ill be as big as a house..
I do envy you ic.. go get it cake coffee mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:55 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:

Some of own Sampras fans [Like Lydian] could not still agree with his statements that he played his best in 2012 Very Happy , Pete was a great player but not a great Analyst. thumbsup

Regarding Tim winning the tournament might still come true, we have whole lot of Tim Hortons generation waiting in wings at Canada Very Happy

I was watching ice hockey when Tim Horton was still playing Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:57 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

I was watching ice hockey when Tim Horton was still playing Smile

Well I tell you what JM if he could play Ice Hockey half as well as he makes coffee he played a blinder Rolling Eyes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 08 Dec 2012, 4:58 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:ic No. I just love Timmies... brewed every 20 mins.. oh my.A french vanilla with two sugars please Starbucks... eat your heart out.
My son lives in Hamilton, is moving to Whitby.
Selling my house here in Spain and moving over asap. honestly
If only for the blueberry donuts.. omg.. do they have a Government Health warning on them. My goodness Ill be as big as a house..
I do envy you ic.. go get it cake coffee mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Now you can understand why most American Kids are big Very Happy , however blueberrie are said to be very good for health and becoming slimmer.

You can come to Roger's masters next time around and I will assure you I will get all those Blue-berry muffins and french Vanilla for you Hug , only sad part is its not gonna be in Toronto but Montreal.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 5:00 pm

My daughter in law comes from Chambley Richelieu .. If thats how you spell it.... I might be able to cadge a life Hug

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sat 08 Dec 2012, 5:00 pm

IC - send me a box of Frankenberry!!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 08 Dec 2012, 5:00 pm

lift (mind you I could do with cadging a life as well lol)

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 08 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:IC - send me a box of Frankenberry!!

We ran out of stock now, you should have asked me before Halloween ghost , I would have send a truck load of it with Emanci when he was touring Europe , no problem next year for sure.

BB muffin for HN, and FB for JHM, let the list grow.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:21 pm

Tim can still come out of retirement and win it. He is just waiting for the right moment.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 10 Dec 2012, 9:22 pm

"if he stays healthy and plays for another four or five years I think he is very well going to pass my total of 14 majors.” Is the actual quote.

The headline:
Pete Sampras Knows Rafael Nadal Will Pass His Record

That's just not what he said. Rubbish.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:23 pm

Exactly. I saw this article and thought 'Erm. Interesting that Sampras would be so confident of someone having a serious knee injury, resulting in at least 6 months out of the game and significant improvement of his three rivals'

But then when you study the article Sampras has so many pre-conditions attached it's tighter than a potential Israel / Palenstine agreement

Amazing how many, wet their knickers at this stuff. It's like me getting excited at Pete saying Andy will probably win another major

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 10 Dec 2012, 10:33 pm

banbrotam wrote:

Exactly. I saw this article and thought 'Erm. Interesting that Sampras would be so confident of someone having a serious knee injury, resulting in at least 6 months out of the game and significant improvement of his three rivals'

But then when you study the article Sampras has so many pre-conditions attached it's tighter than a potential Israel / Palenstine agreement

Amazing how many, wet their knickers at this stuff. It's like me getting excited at Pete saying Andy will probably win another major

Ha ha! banbrotam you are funny. Can you imagine if Pete did say that about Andy? Everyone would have fallen asleep as he added the endless list of pre-conditions before they had a chance to get excited.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Dec 2012, 7:48 am

[quote="banbrotam"]

[/quote

Please read opening comment again banbotram I said that the article sounded "encouraging" for Nadal fans and for those who are not it is debateable at the very least... which is what it has become .. NOBODY IS WETTING THER KNICKERS. ok! Took the bait didn´t you : Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:23 pm

time please wrote:When Nadal is fit, he looks invincible and I am sure that Sampras feels, as do most, that he is only returning because he knows that he can reach the physical fitness required.

I know Sampras has long felt that Nadal would overtake his haul of 14 - in fact he tipped him after AO 2009 to do so before Fed, and I think then, like most again, he possibly felt that Fed would be unable to catch him, let alone overtake him.

What about Nadal's arch-nemesis and the precociously non-talented non-superstar journeyman Lukas Rosol, who no doubt will be straining at the leash to once again play and defeat Nadal again on the grass courts at Wimbledon?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 9:29 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
time please wrote:When Nadal is fit, he looks invincible and I am sure that Sampras feels, as do most, that he is only returning because he knows that he can reach the physical fitness required.

What about Nadal's arch-nemesis and the precociously non-talented non-superstar journeyman Lukas Rosol, who no doubt will be straining at the leash to once again play and defeat Nadal again on the grass courts at Wimbledon?
LOL
Luckas Losor won't repeat this one-off ever again, don't worry.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue 11 Dec 2012, 10:40 pm

It Must Be Love wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

LOL
Luckas Losor won't repeat this one-off ever again, don't worry.

Bit harsh calling him a loser.... But you are right to say it won't happen again. Rosol had a day where every swing found a line. In many ways it was a one off.

Glad to hear Rafa is on his way back.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:36 am

gboycottnut wrote:

Rosol to retire tomorrow, poor Nadal could never sleep again thinking the negative h2h against Rosol, a life lasting sin, something a lesson for next generation to learn. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 12 Dec 2012, 8:14 am

I cant believe how good Rosol was at the Chech DC win... wasn´t he brilliant ??? They would never have won it without him
he cheered and cheered and cheered... what a player Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:33 pm

czech *

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:50 pm

Nadal fans seem to have a lot of weird hatred for Lucas. Why?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 12 Dec 2012, 1:53 pm

Now only you could interpret any negative remark as "hatred" BB thats weird I wonder why ??

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:10 pm

Lucas was in the right place at the right time.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

He sure was.

All credit to him for a fantastic performance on one of the biggest stages in world tennis.

And indeed to Rafa - for pushing him to five sets .... Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 12 Dec 2012, 6:36 pm

I'm surprised that Rafa fans are enjoying putting down Rosol. All he did was play a few sets of lights out tennis that he'll probably never repeat. If he played Rafa another 5 times I'd put money that Rafa would win all 5.

He wasn't ungracious afterwards, his conduct during the match was fine... Yet he has drawn quite a bit of criticism on here. Surprising.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next