The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Priestland a doubt for 6N

+4
bedfordwelsh
glamorganalun
Effervescing Elephant
Casartelli
8 posters

Go down

Priestland a doubt for 6N Empty Priestland a doubt for 6N

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2012, 12:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20633934

I don't like to see a player injured, but a break for RP might help him to recharge the batteries, get out of the limelight, knuckle down and come back firing for the Scarlets. Then he might do well enough to get a recall for Wales.

In the mean time, who do we concentrate on (injuries permitting) for the 6N. Dan Biggar? He would be my choice. Maybe Patchell. No-one else is really sticking their hand up!

Back to top Go down

Priestland a doubt for 6N Empty Re: Priestland a doubt for 6N

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:01 pm

As I said on the other thread, it looks like I cross posted! Please delete this one MODS!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:12 pm

Although, it's quite nice having a conversation on here with myself. No arguments, no WUMming.

I think Biggar should be the given the 10 shirt as the main man. Maybe Patchell as backup.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:12 pm

I agree Griff. Great minds think alike!

Back to top Go down

Post by Casartelli Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:16 pm

I prefer this thread.

Casartelli

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Tue 11 Dec 2012, 1:29 pm

It's nice here. I agree with everyone. Aaaah.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:39 pm

Wales may have a chance in the 6N looking at the positives, any flyhalf will be an improvement. Preistland will be in the Lions squad, I don't know why but he will.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:43 pm

alun,

If he's out for 6 months and misses all the 6 Nations he will be pushing it to get enough rugby in to prove his fitness etc before the tour
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Francogermanicenglishman Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:49 pm

What about Hook? he is playing well for Perpignan week in week out to my knowledge

Francogermanicenglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by Francogermanicenglishman Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:51 pm

What about Hook? he is playing well for Perpignan week in week out to my knowledge

Francogermanicenglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:52 pm

The first point is Hook will not be released for all the training sessions leading up to the 6 Nations which puts him at a dis-advantage straight away.

Despite not being all his own fault (his versatility being his downfall) he has never really cemented his place in the starting line up of the Welsh side.

I have no doubt he will be involved come the 6 Nations but I doubt if he will be first choice 10.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Dec 2012, 2:53 pm

Fraco, according to some he is very erratic at Perpignan and is getting criticism for not being able to control the game. Only heard that on here mind!

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 11 Dec 2012, 3:06 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:alun,

If he's out for 6 months and misses all the 6 Nations he will be pushing it to get enough rugby in to prove his fitness etc before the tour

I agree, he will still get picked, the only reason Biggar got picked against Samoa is to take some heat off Preistland for his poor performances.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Francogermanicenglishman Tue 11 Dec 2012, 3:09 pm

I understand the argument about him not being released but surely it is too soon for Patchell ???
I know the french papers think a lot of Hook even if they consider Charteris to be the real catch.
Is biggar really improved since last year? or is he simply the best of an average bunch?

Francogermanicenglishman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 11 Dec 2012, 3:16 pm

Well if he does Alun there will be some serious questions asked, I doubt he will get selected if he misses the 6 Nations.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Wed 12 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

[quote="bedfordwelsh"]Well if he does Alun there will be some serious questions asked, I doubt he will get selected if he misses the 6 Nations.[/quote

Gatland made a comment he could be out for 9 months which would rule Preistland out for the Lions hence the Lions will not have to put up with what the Wales supporters have been going through.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 13 Dec 2012, 5:52 am

Griff wrote:I agree Griff. Great minds think alike!

laughing

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 13 Dec 2012, 3:47 pm

mystiroakey wrote:
Griff wrote:I agree Griff. Great minds think alike!

laughing

Nice one Very Happy

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 13 Dec 2012, 4:16 pm

It's all very well getting all these different opionions - but I only want to know what Griff thinks? Very Happy
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:22 am

Un-objectively Rhys Patchell and Dan Biggar are the two welsh based forerunners.

Be good to see Tovey get a few games, but he will have to be pretty special to oust Patchell.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 14 Dec 2012, 9:41 am

Just a call out to Griff.

I was wondering what you thought on this subject?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Dec 2012, 11:24 am

Mystiroakey, I'm in favour of giving Biggar a go. I was a big critic of his a few years ago. When he first came on the scene he was hot headed, unusually vocal for an 18 year old, a bit arrogant (all traits that would probably be lauded in other countries!), couldn't handle the crowd getting on his back, etc. He was thrust into the limelight slightly and given some blame for the Fiji draw in the AIs. His confidence was dented, etc. However, since Hook left the Ospreys (and I'm not sure if Hook was mainly 10 or 13 then) he has taken the opportunity given to him at 10 and done really well. Ospreys are our best region, most competitive, etc. The stars have gone, but he's still pulling the strings and getting them into positions to be competitive. So, I say he's out best prospect.

James Hook for me has been tried a number of times and has not done it at 10 at international level. Yes, it is probably because he has been shifted about, so I do sympathise. I have not seen much of him since leaving for France. I am hearing mixed reports. Some say he's doing really well and having a good run of games, but I've also heard that the fans are not happy as he's expensive and is not pulling the strings and playing consistently enough.

Rhys Patchell is a bit young and inexperinced IMO, but he should be brought into the 'environment' because he's looking very promising. Jason Tovey - I was never a big fan of his when he was at my region, but I know others were. I thought he was a bit of a lazy looking player. He looked like he couldn't be bothered sometimes. He's now down the pecking order at the blues, but I suppose he's getting a few more quid in his back pocket. Steffan Jones is a bit raw at the Dragons and seems to have slipped off a bit. Ditto Lewis Robling.

In summary:
1st choice - Biggar
Backup - Hook
Development (brought into training camp) - Patchell

Left to kick on at their regions/teams until they're very good and become hard not to pick - Priestland, Tovey, Morgan, Steff Jones, Henson (too injury prone - needs a season under his belt).

In the case of injuries to the top 3 then whoever is starting most regularly and performing best out of the remaining 10s should step up to the training team.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down