The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food for thought.

5 posters

Go down

Food for thought. Empty Food for thought.

Post by emack2 Sun 23 Dec 2012, 1:24 pm

I am is well known an Anglo-Scot and I have been painted as both unpatriotic and a glory hunter i`m neither.In 1953-4 I was just 10 years old recently introduced to the game.I had seen precisely one International Englandv France on television in 1953 France won 3-0 a Jean Prat dropped goal[he was a flanker].Then I watched two matches of the AllBlacks on the 1953-4 tour one was the traditional then 10 man style Rugby.The other a celebration match on Boxing day 1953 versus Combined Services Guy Bowers was at 10 and a lot of points were scored.
The next Game I watched was the 1958 Wallabies in Bournemouth here led by Des Connor both a great player/coach/.captain.I was more
concerned with passing my exams than watching Rugby in this period which I did.
Rugby was a minority sport well into the 1960`son TV the odd international,the University Match perhaps a few minutes on Sportsnight on a Wednesday with Peter Dimmock.
My support of the ABs was`nt a concious one indeed until the 1963-4 Tour did`nt consciously think about it,lack of Tv coverage may have
blighted my interest in other teams.
BUT I Followed England and Scotland on the radio it seemed so much more exciting than TV,Marques,Currie,Higgins,Robbins,Jacobs,Godwin.Davies.Butterfield,Young, Godwin,Risman,Sharpe,Rimmer,Sykes,Woodward,Wilcox.
I remember them all can many here say as much.
My support for the AllBlacks just happened then a year before it might have been the BOKs Doh Glory Hunter? laughing in1953 Wales,France and Boks were better than them,wales there bogey side Erm

emack2

Back to top Go down

Food for thought. Empty Re: Food for thought.

Post by GunsGerms Mon 24 Dec 2012, 10:51 am

Ill admit I thought it strange when I heard you were an AB fan being an Anglo Scott. I spose as an Irish rugby fan and a player for quite a few lower level clubs in Ireland I couldnt fathom supporting anyone else that my own country. I guess part of this is that it is inbuilt in most Irishmen like myself from time to time to confuse sport and politics/national pride. I think we are getting better.

Sometimes in sport it can be easily forgotten that it really is only a game and therefore consistent with when I really think about it what are the real principles of sport that you should be able to follow whoever you want. This is lost on a lot of people so you will forever be questioned on your allegiances I'd say.

I must say though I do enjoy your anecdotes especially since they are from another era.

Keep her lit Emack. Happy Christmas.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Mon 24 Dec 2012, 11:04 am

There was an article not too long ago, I think it was by a poster here on v2, speculating that the world is becoming an increasingly smaller place and before long people will support nations based on their brand of Rugby as opposed to their place of birth and therefore allegiance.

Support whoever you want to support; nail your colours to a pole and stick to it. Enjoy the ups & downs and all the joys that come with.

One of my friends is a South African, who has been living in England (London & home counties) for most of her life and supports the AB's due to their sublime brand of Rugby. There's a mix for you Very Happy Good on her! Makes things more interesting if there's a bunch of us watching a game or following the tours and tournies.

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerBoy Mon 24 Dec 2012, 11:10 am

My first game of memory was the 1958 international at the Arms Park, Wales vs Australia, where Wales won 9-3. The only name I remember from that game was Carwyn James at No.10 making his debut for Wales. I don't know why I remember that because Carwyn only ever made two appearances for his country because of the incomparable Cliff Morgan. The rest of the welsh team on the day seemed to consist of a collection of Davies's, Williams's and Evans's I recall.

Of the Australian team I remember nothing even though it was also the debut match for Australia of the much vaunted Des Conner I have since learned.

Unlike you emack, I do not have a great recollection for names, I only have pictures moving around in my memory of some of the great games I've watched. Again, unlike you, I have always remained faithful and true to my own country of Wales, even though I have lived in England for fifty years or so (not far from you if you live in Bournemouth). So the only names I DO remember are Welsh ones I have seen. Alun Pask, Stuart Watkins, Ken Jones, Dewi Bebb, Clive Rowlands, John Dawes through the late 50's and 60's and into the glory days of the 70's where I feel I don't have to list the names, even though the list contains my personal favourite player of all time - Mr Graham Price - simply because I feel he embodies everything I have ever felt for the game.

I have the utmost respect for all rugby playing nations and their supporters, but I have always found it difficult to understand how any supporter can truly change their allegiance to another country. Perhaps in your case it is because you had split antecedents from the start being an AngloScot. Whatever, during some of the darker days of the 50's and definitely the 80's it crossed my mind that a switch of allegiance might be in order, with New Zealand All-Blacks being the obvious choice I'd say. That's what the mind thought but when it comes to my country, I'm afraid the heart will always win - so I'm stuck with being a Wales supporter.

But hey, as GunsGerms says, "it's only a game", support who you like and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

RuggerBoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 24 Dec 2012, 2:20 pm

For me growing up in SA and always hearing the myths and fables of the great rivalry between SA and NZ is a sure fire way to know where your heart belongs.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I suppose we all see rugby in different ways, for me it is the physical battle that honours much more than just a sport.

It boils down to strength of character, conviction, beliefs, respect, tradition and so much more.

For me it is unthinkable to seperate the origin of your roots and rugby. But then I am a traditionalist and set in my ways.

For me it will always be South Africa above all else, even when things aren't going great.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down