The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prescott Vs McCloskey

+8
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
Liam_Main
eddyfightfan
Valero's Conscience
The Galveston Giant
Union Cane
coxy0001
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
12 posters

Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:28 am

Good mornin chaps,

Hope you all had a great Easter weekend.

I was flicking through some boxing websites last night and seen highlights of the Prescott fight at the weekend.

After watching this I then discovered that the KHANCONQUERER (or whatever he is calling himself), is being touted as an opponent for Khan's latest challanger Paul McCloskey.

Personally I think this is an interesting match up and if McCloskey was to outbox and frustrate Prescott then it would give him a great scalp on the world scene due to who Prescott flattened.

To be honest, this is a fight that McCloskey should have took before agreeing to face Amir.

Prescott as we all know is not very good when it comes to fighting a boxer rather than a fighter. Mitchell showed that as long as you neutralise the Haymaker, you can steal the rounds.

Whats your thoughts on this one lads?

http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2011/04/breidis-prescott-dominates-jargal-paul.html

Thanks

Dee
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by coxy0001 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:32 am

To be honest Prescott has since been embarrassed by Mitchell (who got taken apart by Katsidis) and got beaten by Vasquez.

Don't think he's in anyone's top 20 for the weight to be honest and no offence but he's no measuring stick for the world scene as he's a bit amateurish to be honest.

coxy0001

Posts : 4250
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Tory country

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Union Cane Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:33 am

coxy0001 wrote:To be honest Prescott has since been embarrassed by Mitchell (who got taken apart by Katsidis) and got beaten by Vasquez.

Don't think he's in anyone's top 20 for the weight to be honest and no offence but he's no measuring stick for the world scene as he's a bit amateurish to be honest.

Could be a close fight with McCloskey then...

Union Cane
Union Cane
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 11328
Join date : 2011-01-27
Age : 47
Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:36 am

It's a good matchup Dee, and one that will let us see where abouts McCloskey is on the world stage. The Khan fight didn't really let us see. It's a fight i would expect him to win and the manner of which will let us know how far he can go, Prescott is well known in America and it certainly didn't do Kevin Mitchell any harm , although it did in his fight afterwards. A good matchup and one i think they should try and push ahead with.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Posts : 5333
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 39
Location : Scotland

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:50 am

Can't see either fighter making any other fights which will earn them decent money so fighting each other will probably generate the most for them, which both are not in a position to turn it away.

Not a bad fight which will have some media attention.

If Prescott, beat/stopped McCloskey impressively then it would get him a step further to a rematch.

I think Khan should fight Prescott to avenge his sole loss. Khan wants to move up I think after Bradley, so I reckon Khan should fight Bradley, then take Prescott as his 'easy fight' and then move up, or perhaps take on the last belt holder in Judah, if he still has the belt.

Valero's Conscience

Posts : 2096
Join date : 2011-02-21
Age : 38
Location : Kent/London

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:51 am

if prescott and mccloskey fought i think the winner would be paul, and i think he'd kick up such a fuss over a rematch with khan. but if khan fought him another 100 times he would win 99 of them. same with prescott. khan should move on forwards, aiming for higher level opponents in the future, and if mccloskey wants to fight for a world title again he should work the hard way for it ie climbing the rankings- not just using khan to get there without fighting anybody else on the world level.

eddyfightfan

Posts : 2925
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:53 am

Mitchell exposed Prescott I still don't know why hes eager for the fight with Khan.Even naming himself the "Khanquerer".Mccloskeys a poor fighter but even he would easily beat Prescott.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 11:55 am

Thats the thing, it was Prescott who mentioned McCloskey.

I think Paul's best option is to go for a title when Bradley & Khan move up to Welter as both of them will not consider him as an opponant.

I think McCloskey makes Prescott miss and wins every round.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by coxy0001 Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:00 pm

Deemck

You assume PM is going to throw something back this time in order to win rounds.......

Wink

coxy0001

Posts : 4250
Join date : 2011-01-28
Location : Tory country

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:08 pm

2 poor fighters imo. If McCloskey actually threw something back he might have a chance. Prescott said he was promised another fight with Khan after McCloskey but I don't think it was true.
Doesn't seem a smart fight for McCloskey high risk with very little reward. We learned very liitle about McCloskey from the Khan fight other than he freezes on the big stage and no one is interested in watching him fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:12 pm

coxy0001 wrote:Deemck

You assume PM is going to throw something back this time in order to win rounds.......

Wink

haha,

Well he doesnt have to deal with speed as per the Khan fight.

tbh this fight would only be good for exposure and I think McCloskey would actually throw punches back.

I wouldn't make the mistake of going to see it live though.

The mistake of going to Manchester has blew my chances of going to Hamburg on July 2nd which would have been cheaper and more entertaining as well.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:14 pm

prettyboykev wrote:2 poor fighters imo. If McCloskey actually threw something back he might have a chance. Prescott said he was promised another fight with Khan after McCloskey but I don't think it was true.
Doesn't seem a smart fight for McCloskey high risk with very little reward. We learned very liitle about McCloskey from the Khan fight other than he freezes on the big stage and no one is interested in watching him fight.

High risk, little reward?

Well then what else do you think he's supposed to do?
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:15 pm

Prescott is little more than a columbian club fighter who happened to catch Amir khan - a known chinny fighter - with a few heavy shots, and has been dining out on it ever since (despite the fact he's looked unimpressive in every fight he's had since). Mitchell has already owned him in front of the UK fans, so I don't really see what good it will do McCloskey fighting him - might be an ok payday but Prescott isn't highly ranked or regarded on the 140lb scene. Sorry to McCloskey fans but to me he's an ordinary euro level fighter who'll never cut any ice on the world scene. His performance against khan up til the head clash stank the gaff out. He's got some skill and a bit of southpaw trickiness but let's be honest he's nothing to get excited about and fighting second rate guys like prescott is probably about his level.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Posts : 1869
Join date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:19 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:2 poor fighters imo. If McCloskey actually threw something back he might have a chance. Prescott said he was promised another fight with Khan after McCloskey but I don't think it was true.
Doesn't seem a smart fight for McCloskey high risk with very little reward. We learned very liitle about McCloskey from the Khan fight other than he freezes on the big stage and no one is interested in watching him fight.

High risk, little reward?

Well then what else do you think he's supposed to do?

Not sure but don't see any benefit in this fight even if he wins. Prescott isn't rated by any organisation and shouldn't be either. I think McCloskey would be better going back to European level and working his way back up again.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:23 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Prescott is little more than a columbian club fighter who happened to catch Amir khan - a known chinny fighter - with a few heavy shots, and has been dining out on it ever since (despite the fact he's looked unimpressive in every fight he's had since). Mitchell has already owned him in front of the UK fans, so I don't really see what good it will do McCloskey fighting him - might be an ok payday but Prescott isn't highly ranked or regarded on the 140lb scene. Sorry to McCloskey fans but to me he's an ordinary euro level fighter who'll never cut any ice on the world scene. His performance against khan up til the head clash stank the gaff out. He's got some skill and a bit of southpaw trickiness but let's be honest he's nothing to get excited about and fighting second rate guys like prescott is probably about his level.

I agree with your thoughts Sugar Boy, but a fighter needs to build his CV up with names to get a bit of exposure and who else to do this against that the guy who made an idiot out of Khan.

Mitchell got closer to a shot at Katsidas out of it. Even though McCloskey is nothing special, I wish him and any other fighter who wants to make something out of their career full respect. To be honest a fight with Prescott would be 100 times more interesting that watching him fight against Mario macarenatelski-no-name at some leisure centre like he normally does.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:24 pm

prettyboykev wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:2 poor fighters imo. If McCloskey actually threw something back he might have a chance. Prescott said he was promised another fight with Khan after McCloskey but I don't think it was true.
Doesn't seem a smart fight for McCloskey high risk with very little reward. We learned very liitle about McCloskey from the Khan fight other than he freezes on the big stage and no one is interested in watching him fight.

High risk, little reward?

Well then what else do you think he's supposed to do?

Not sure but don't see any benefit in this fight even if he wins. Prescott isn't rated by any organisation and shouldn't be either. I think McCloskey would be better going back to European level and working his way back up again.

But even though Prescott is not rated highly, he is more of a fighter than the Euro Trash that McCloskey normally faces.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:28 pm

Yes but he is more dangerous with less reward. Beating Prescott will do nothing for McCloskeys world ranking but beating a few Euro level fighters will, look at John Murray. He is highly ranked by a few organisations.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm

The only reason he should fight Prescott is too try and get a rematch with Khan but Khan doesn't want a rematch so there wouldn't be much point in the fight.Mccloskey really needs to fight more world experienced fighters more top 10 ranked fighters if hes gonna get another world title shot.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm

Don't see how beating a guy Khan has moved on from will get McCloskey a rematch. McCloskey won't get a rematch, the fight couldn't sell the first time round so it has no chance the second.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:43 pm

i think mccloskey should fight somebody like matthew hatton (if they can agree on a weight) who has had a shot at a title, would make a good fight and and would provide good exposure. dont think mccloskey needs to play it safe, think if he has real aspirations to make it to world level he needs to start making a name for himself.

eddyfightfan

Posts : 2925
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 12:49 pm

McCloskey should go after M'Baye who is the interim belt holder IMO.

They were supposed to fight before on M'Baye pulled out a few days before hand.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:34 pm

Junior Witter? He's a name over here and would be a comfy win for McCloskey and if he KOd Witter he would be gaining a fan in me.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by The Galveston Giant Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:42 pm

I think a few of the names mentioned would be good matchups for him, anybody who's a name will start getting him more exposure.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Posts : 5333
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 39
Location : Scotland

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 1:47 pm

witter is a good call, then maybe alexander after that. if he can't get past alexander then realistically he doesnt have a chance of getting near a title

eddyfightfan

Posts : 2925
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 2:57 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:witter is a good call, then maybe alexander after that. if he can't get past alexander then realistically he doesnt have a chance of getting near a title

Jeezus, I just had a 2 second though about a McCloskey vs Alexander fight and nearly slipped into a coma.

Now that would be worse matchup that the Bradley vs Alexander fight.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 3:23 pm

McCloskey vs Alexander :yawn:

Problem is with McCloskey if he hangs around domestically to long then Frankie Gavin will KO him on his way to a world title and McCloskey will never get another shot.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

Why don’t we just forget McCloskey ever existed, the only reason the Khan fight ever happened is because it was a domestic clash so would shift a few tickets to fanatical Irish fans.

I think the Gavin v PM fight would be a good idea; obviously PM freezes again and loses every round or actually lets his hands go and gets stopped, either way no more Paul McCloskey.

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 3:44 pm

Bit harsh before Khan he was unbeaten and then froze on the big stage he deserves another shot and getting to the top.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 3:51 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Bit harsh before Khan he was unbeaten and then froze on the big stage he deserves another shot and getting to the top.

Possibly is abit harsh on him, I have just found his attitude post fight and failure to accept he did freeze and lost every round really annoying. He just be grateful for the exposure, payday and title shot he hadn’t truly earned yet.

But if he can beat a Prescott, Gavin, Kotelnik et al then I would be delighted to see him fighting for a world title.

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 3:56 pm

How many fighters would come out and say the froze or they don't deserve to be at that level? Not many.
I don't see him beating Gavin or Kotelnik maybe Prescott but he is a poor fighter as well. IMO he won't fight for a world title again never thought he was that good, European is about his level.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:03 pm

prettyboykev wrote:How many fighters would come out and say the froze or they don't deserve to be at that level? Not many.
I don't see him beating Gavin or Kotelnik maybe Prescott but he is a poor fighter as well. IMO he won't fight for a world title again never thought he was that good, European is about his level.

Of course he won’t admit he froze, but claiming to be cheated is ludicrous, as the result was only going one way.

I agree entirely with the rest you have said above.

I think the Prescott fight would be a good move for PM, and it could go either way, although the amount of times Amir Khan would be mentioned in the build up would be unbearable.

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:10 pm

Duncan wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:How many fighters would come out and say the froze or they don't deserve to be at that level? Not many.
I don't see him beating Gavin or Kotelnik maybe Prescott but he is a poor fighter as well. IMO he won't fight for a world title again never thought he was that good, European is about his level.

Of course he won’t admit he froze, but claiming to be cheated is ludicrous, as the result was only going one way.

I agree entirely with the rest you have said above.

I think the Prescott fight would be a good move for PM, and it could go either way, although the amount of times Amir Khan would be mentioned in the build up would be unbearable.

Think he felt he was harshly treated with the stoppage and I don't blame him it was strange the doctor came right in the ring. But your right it didn't look long before Khan was going to end it.
I think the Prescott fight isn't a good idea. Prescott isn't rated by any organisations and is a puncher. High risk no reward for me. Domestically Witter looks the best bet for me he is past it and has a name.
Lamont Peterson would be a good matchup Peterson is just short of World level so if he couldn't beat him then we would no for sure he isn't good enough.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:23 pm

I think the fans where cheated by the doctor as they didn’t get to see a convincing end to the fight, but the doctor did PM a favour as it gave him some sort of moral victory with his fans and public sympathy that he should get another shot.

Yeah Witter would be a good opponent, in what would probably be JW’s last fight, either way it’s still a big leap how PM gets close to another world title shot.

I think it’s important for PM to be back in action soon against a decentish recognizable fighter, before we all forget about him and the forgettable Khan fight.

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:28 pm

Witter would be interesting but I mainly just want to see the horrible knob KOd before he cheats me and retires without being KOd. I hate Junior Witter.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:33 pm

Duncan wrote:I think the fans where cheated by the doctor as they didn’t get to see a convincing end to the fight, but the doctor did PM a favour as it gave him some sort of moral victory with his fans and public sympathy that he should get another shot.

Yeah Witter would be a good opponent, in what would probably be JW’s last fight, either way it’s still a big leap how PM gets close to another world title shot.

I think it’s important for PM to be back in action soon against a decentish recognizable fighter, before we all forget about him and the forgettable Khan fight.

The ref did Khan more of a favour as he was made to look as much of a tw@t as McCloskey did.

Khan was nowhere near going to stop him, he would have had to start landing decent punches in order to do that.

McCloskey would not have won the fight in my opinion, but he succeeded in making Khan look ordinary. Its alright having the tools to punch the head off a come forward fighter like Maidana, but it showed that Khan has absolutly no idea what to do with a defensive fighter. All McCloskey needed in that fight was a slight bit of speed along with a touch more power and Khan would have been screwed.

The fight wasn't made for the fanatic Irish fans either, don't talk stupid, they picked McCloskey because they thought they could blow an undefeated, RANKED (4th in WBA/5th WBC) away in 3 rounds.

It didn't happen, so cue the twitchy doc/ref to save Khan anymore embarrasment.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:34 pm

the khanquer vs paul "would have knocked him out" mccloskey......

oh dear

eddyfightfan

Posts : 2925
Join date : 2011-02-24

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:39 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:the khanquer vs paul "would have knocked him out" mccloskey......

oh dear

Its a fight the world wants too see 🤦
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:52 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Duncan wrote:I think the fans where cheated by the doctor as they didn’t get to see a convincing end to the fight, but the doctor did PM a favour as it gave him some sort of moral victory with his fans and public sympathy that he should get another shot.

Yeah Witter would be a good opponent, in what would probably be JW’s last fight, either way it’s still a big leap how PM gets close to another world title shot.

I think it’s important for PM to be back in action soon against a decentish recognizable fighter, before we all forget about him and the forgettable Khan fight.

The ref did Khan more of a favour as he was made to look as much of a tw@t as McCloskey did.

Khan was nowhere near going to stop him, he would have had to start landing decent punches in order to do that.

McCloskey would not have won the fight in my opinion, but he succeeded in making Khan look ordinary. Its alright having the tools to punch the head off a come forward fighter like Maidana, but it showed that Khan has absolutly no idea what to do with a defensive fighter. All McCloskey needed in that fight was a slight bit of speed along with a touch more power and Khan would have been screwed.

The fight wasn't made for the fanatic Irish fans either, don't talk stupid, they picked McCloskey because they thought they could blow an undefeated, RANKED (4th in WBA/5th WBC) away in 3 rounds.

It didn't happen, so cue the twitchy doc/ref to save Khan anymore embarrasment.

Yeah he did make Khan look fairly average, but he still lost every round!! I refuse to give PM credit for boxing an extremely cautious fight purely for the purpose of surviving, he essentially entered the fight with a journey man mentality, and it isn’t hard to make someone miss if you have no ambition of landing punches yourself, which is what he did.

I think Khan would have looked far better winning every round even if it did gone the distance, then having the over excitable doctor stop it prematurely, which didn’t make anyone look good, except maybe PM as he could play the “cheated” card.

Are you seriously using the WBA & WBC rankings to justify PM’s place in that fight, he is not even in the top ten in real terms, but yes the Khan camp saw it as a standard easy defence before the Bradley fight, which it was! Sadly just not a very attractive one to watch…
He did also sell something like 6000+ tickets and a domestic unheard of fighter is easier to sell then an international no name opponent.

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:53 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:the khanquer vs paul "would have knocked him out" mccloskey......

oh dear

Its a fight the world wants too see 🤦

Says a 16 year old.

You'll understand to respect fighters who have limited skills maybe once your balls have dropped.

Stick to the snooker, Amir Khan just wants money, not the fans. thumbsup
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by OasisBFC Tue 26 Apr 2011, 4:55 pm

i think anyone would look a bit clumsy against mccloskey, he just had a terribly unorthordox style.

remember he won his world title in style - stopped a very durable paulie malignaggi and looked great in doing so, beat maidana who would give any 140 / 147 fighter trouble.

OasisBFC

Posts : 1050
Join date : 2011-02-24
Location : Manchester

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:03 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:the khanquer vs paul "would have knocked him out" mccloskey......

oh dear

Its a fight the world wants too see 🤦

Says a 16 year old.

You'll understand to respect fighters who have limited skills maybe once your balls have dropped.

Stick to the snooker, Amir Khan just wants money, not the fans. thumbsup

I didn't say they had limited skills all i'm saying is thats its a fight I doubt many would want too see,everyone knows how much Mitchell emabaressed Prescott and Mccloskey barely through a punch against Khan.

Most fighters are in it for the money,Khan possibly is but hes still one of my favourite fighters though because hes exciting and 9 times out of 10 gives the fans what they've payed too see.

Also don't criticize me on my age I probably know more than you.. thumbsup
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:08 pm

Duncan wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Duncan wrote:I think the fans where cheated by the doctor as they didn’t get to see a convincing end to the fight, but the doctor did PM a favour as it gave him some sort of moral victory with his fans and public sympathy that he should get another shot.

Yeah Witter would be a good opponent, in what would probably be JW’s last fight, either way it’s still a big leap how PM gets close to another world title shot.

I think it’s important for PM to be back in action soon against a decentish recognizable fighter, before we all forget about him and the forgettable Khan fight.

The ref did Khan more of a favour as he was made to look as much of a tw@t as McCloskey did.

Khan was nowhere near going to stop him, he would have had to start landing decent punches in order to do that.

McCloskey would not have won the fight in my opinion, but he succeeded in making Khan look ordinary. Its alright having the tools to punch the head off a come forward fighter like Maidana, but it showed that Khan has absolutly no idea what to do with a defensive fighter. All McCloskey needed in that fight was a slight bit of speed along with a touch more power and Khan would have been screwed.

The fight wasn't made for the fanatic Irish fans either, don't talk stupid, they picked McCloskey because they thought they could blow an undefeated, RANKED (4th in WBA/5th WBC) away in 3 rounds.

It didn't happen, so cue the twitchy doc/ref to save Khan anymore embarrasment.

Yeah he did make Khan look fairly average, but he still lost every round!! I refuse to give PM credit for boxing an extremely cautious fight purely for the purpose of surviving, he essentially entered the fight with a journey man mentality, and it isn’t hard to make someone miss if you have no ambition of landing punches yourself, which is what he did.

I think Khan would have looked far better winning every round even if it did gone the distance, then having the over excitable doctor stop it prematurely, which didn’t make anyone look good, except maybe PM as he could play the “cheated” card.

Are you seriously using the WBA & WBC rankings to justify PM’s place in that fight, he is not even in the top ten in real terms, but yes the Khan camp saw it as a standard easy defence before the Bradley fight, which it was! Sadly just not a very attractive one to watch…
He did also sell something like 6000+ tickets and a domestic unheard of fighter is easier to sell then an international no name opponent.

Im not arguing the fact and I pretty much agree with everything you just said.

I just think the greedy buck teethed father and co were shown up completely from the day the fight was announced and Im glad.

Khan will offically never have a "Ricky Hatton" following over this. Khan is all to blame as he was the one who picked McCloskey to rip off fans and then was made to look incredible poor.

But again, McCloskey hardly never threw a punch so he dosen't deserve another shot at Khan.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Posts : 4322
Join date : 2011-02-01
Location : Costa Del Belfast

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:13 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Duncan wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Duncan wrote:I think the fans where cheated by the doctor as they didn’t get to see a convincing end to the fight, but the doctor did PM a favour as it gave him some sort of moral victory with his fans and public sympathy that he should get another shot.

Yeah Witter would be a good opponent, in what would probably be JW’s last fight, either way it’s still a big leap how PM gets close to another world title shot.

I think it’s important for PM to be back in action soon against a decentish recognizable fighter, before we all forget about him and the forgettable Khan fight.

The ref did Khan more of a favour as he was made to look as much of a tw@t as McCloskey did.

Khan was nowhere near going to stop him, he would have had to start landing decent punches in order to do that.

McCloskey would not have won the fight in my opinion, but he succeeded in making Khan look ordinary. Its alright having the tools to punch the head off a come forward fighter like Maidana, but it showed that Khan has absolutly no idea what to do with a defensive fighter. All McCloskey needed in that fight was a slight bit of speed along with a touch more power and Khan would have been screwed.

The fight wasn't made for the fanatic Irish fans either, don't talk stupid, they picked McCloskey because they thought they could blow an undefeated, RANKED (4th in WBA/5th WBC) away in 3 rounds.

It didn't happen, so cue the twitchy doc/ref to save Khan anymore embarrasment.

Yeah he did make Khan look fairly average, but he still lost every round!! I refuse to give PM credit for boxing an extremely cautious fight purely for the purpose of surviving, he essentially entered the fight with a journey man mentality, and it isn’t hard to make someone miss if you have no ambition of landing punches yourself, which is what he did.

I think Khan would have looked far better winning every round even if it did gone the distance, then having the over excitable doctor stop it prematurely, which didn’t make anyone look good, except maybe PM as he could play the “cheated” card.

Are you seriously using the WBA & WBC rankings to justify PM’s place in that fight, he is not even in the top ten in real terms, but yes the Khan camp saw it as a standard easy defence before the Bradley fight, which it was! Sadly just not a very attractive one to watch…
He did also sell something like 6000+ tickets and a domestic unheard of fighter is easier to sell then an international no name opponent.

Im not arguing the fact and I pretty much agree with everything you just said.

I just think the greedy buck teethed father and co were shown up completely from the day the fight was announced and Im glad.

Khan will offically never have a "Ricky Hatton" following over this. Khan is all to blame as he was the one who picked McCloskey to rip off fans and then was made to look incredible poor.

But again, McCloskey hardly never threw a punch so he dosen't deserve another shot at Khan.

Agreed the thing with Khan is you either love him or hate him he has a big fanbase but on the otherhand has alot of people dislike him.Though at the moment i'm not sure wether its Khan being greedy or his father and team.In interviews Khan says he wants too fight the best at any price so it could be just his team who are asking too much for fights.

True he made Khan miss but you can't win the rounds if your not throwing anything back.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:13 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:the khanquer vs paul "would have knocked him out" mccloskey......

oh dear

Its a fight the world wants too see 🤦

Says a 16 year old.

You'll understand to respect fighters who have limited skills maybe once your balls have dropped.

Stick to the snooker, Amir Khan just wants money, not the fans. thumbsup

I didn't say they had limited skills all i'm saying is thats its a fight I doubt many would want too see,everyone knows how much Mitchell emabaressed Prescott and Mccloskey barely through a punch against Khan.

Most fighters are in it for the money,Khan possibly is but hes still one of my favourite fighters though because hes exciting and 9 times out of 10 gives the fans what they've payed too see.

Also don't criticize me on my age I probably know more than you.. thumbsup

I wouldn’t worry Dee is just blinded by Northern Irish solidarity and that there great hope is back to stacking shelves dreaming of a fight with the one and only Breidis Prescott.

Of course they are all in it for the money; PM turned the fight down twice as he wanted a bigger purse!

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Duncan Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:18 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Duncan wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Duncan wrote:I think the fans where cheated by the doctor as they didn’t get to see a convincing end to the fight, but the doctor did PM a favour as it gave him some sort of moral victory with his fans and public sympathy that he should get another shot.

Yeah Witter would be a good opponent, in what would probably be JW’s last fight, either way it’s still a big leap how PM gets close to another world title shot.

I think it’s important for PM to be back in action soon against a decentish recognizable fighter, before we all forget about him and the forgettable Khan fight.

The ref did Khan more of a favour as he was made to look as much of a tw@t as McCloskey did.

Khan was nowhere near going to stop him, he would have had to start landing decent punches in order to do that.

McCloskey would not have won the fight in my opinion, but he succeeded in making Khan look ordinary. Its alright having the tools to punch the head off a come forward fighter like Maidana, but it showed that Khan has absolutly no idea what to do with a defensive fighter. All McCloskey needed in that fight was a slight bit of speed along with a touch more power and Khan would have been screwed.

The fight wasn't made for the fanatic Irish fans either, don't talk stupid, they picked McCloskey because they thought they could blow an undefeated, RANKED (4th in WBA/5th WBC) away in 3 rounds.

It didn't happen, so cue the twitchy doc/ref to save Khan anymore embarrasment.

Yeah he did make Khan look fairly average, but he still lost every round!! I refuse to give PM credit for boxing an extremely cautious fight purely for the purpose of surviving, he essentially entered the fight with a journey man mentality, and it isn’t hard to make someone miss if you have no ambition of landing punches yourself, which is what he did.

I think Khan would have looked far better winning every round even if it did gone the distance, then having the over excitable doctor stop it prematurely, which didn’t make anyone look good, except maybe PM as he could play the “cheated” card.

Are you seriously using the WBA & WBC rankings to justify PM’s place in that fight, he is not even in the top ten in real terms, but yes the Khan camp saw it as a standard easy defence before the Bradley fight, which it was! Sadly just not a very attractive one to watch…
He did also sell something like 6000+ tickets and a domestic unheard of fighter is easier to sell then an international no name opponent.

Im not arguing the fact and I pretty much agree with everything you just said.

I just think the greedy buck teethed father and co were shown up completely from the day the fight was announced and Im glad.

Khan will offically never have a "Ricky Hatton" following over this. Khan is all to blame as he was the one who picked McCloskey to rip off fans and then was made to look incredible poor.

But again, McCloskey hardly never threw a punch so he dosen't deserve another shot at Khan.

The sooner Khan sacks his father and gets professional management the better, sadly I can’t see it happening.

Amir was never going to have a Ricky Hatton type following, that sort of support was fairly unique and Khan is barely likeable at the best of times.

Duncan

Posts : 50
Join date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by WelshDevilRob Tue 26 Apr 2011, 5:47 pm

I think both McCloskey and Prescott are along way from getting a rematch with Khan.

Even though Prescott has looked poor since Khan and intruth looked poor before Khan, it is a marketable fight and easy to sell to the UK public.

With regards to McCloskey, I wasn't interested in seeing the 1st Khan fight and certainly not a rematch.

McCloskey vs Prescott is a decent match-up in its own right and one I'd like to see.

WelshDevilRob

Posts : 621
Join date : 2011-04-04
Location : Cardiff, Wales

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:19 pm

WelshDevilRob wrote:I think both McCloskey and Prescott are along way from getting a rematch with Khan.

Even though Prescott has looked poor since Khan and intruth looked poor before Khan, it is a marketable fight and easy to sell to the UK public.

With regards to McCloskey, I wasn't interested in seeing the 1st Khan fight and certainly not a rematch.

McCloskey vs Prescott is a decent match-up in its own right and one I'd like to see.

Don't think Khan cares much about the Uk public anymore though. He will focus on America so a rematch with either of these guys isn't going to happen.

McCloskey vs Prescott would be interested but pointless gets neither of them any closer to where they want to be.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:20 pm

Liam_Main4 wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Liam_Main4 wrote:
eddyfightfan wrote:the khanquer vs paul "would have knocked him out" mccloskey......

oh dear

Its a fight the world wants too see 🤦

Says a 16 year old.

You'll understand to respect fighters who have limited skills maybe once your balls have dropped.

Stick to the snooker, Amir Khan just wants money, not the fans. thumbsup

I didn't say they had limited skills all i'm saying is thats its a fight I doubt many would want too see,everyone knows how much Mitchell emabaressed Prescott and Mccloskey barely through a punch against Khan.

Most fighters are in it for the money,Khan possibly is but hes still one of my favourite fighters though because hes exciting and 9 times out of 10 gives the fans what they've payed too see.

Also don't criticize me on my age I probably know more than you.. thumbsup
boxing
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Posts : 6716
Join date : 2011-03-19
Age : 38

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Liam_Main Tue 26 Apr 2011, 6:27 pm

Am I the one on the right? Wink
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Posts : 5356
Join date : 2011-03-06
Location : Gateshead

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Prescott Vs McCloskey Empty Re: Prescott Vs McCloskey

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum