The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

F1 off season Gossiip and changes

+7
TheCelticGarbutt
liverbnz
dyrewolfe
Bull
Fernando
TopoftheChops
neilthom7
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

F1 off season Gossiip and changes - Page 2 Empty F1 off season Gossiip and changes

Post by neilthom7 Tue 25 Dec 2012, 12:09 am

First topic message reminder :

Just a general topic to discuss Formula 1 in the off season. Gossip and news etc. By the way we need Eddie Jordan on here he is predicting things before they happen these days first Hamilton's move and then Chilton signing with Marussia. Any news you hear guys post away. Oh and happy Christmas and new year to you all.

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

F1 off season Gossiip and changes - Page 2 Empty Re: F1 off season Gossiip and changes

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

There's already been quite abit of excitement this morning. Hamilton is putting in some blistering times that has everyone talking.

Andrew Benson - ''Lewis Hamilton did that 1:20.8 on a five-lap run, so that means the Mercedes will at least do a 20.5. No-one else has proved that yet. Last year's pole at Barcelona was a 1.21.7 by Hamilton''.

I know it's testing but could they, could they have found something with this car????? If McLaren don't buck up their ideas then we could astonishingly find that the Mercedes is on a par or even more competitive than the McLaren, could answer the reason why Button continues to talk about Mercedes and Hamilton so much and his nervousness about Hamilton being a threat when Button said Hamilton was making a big mistake leaving the team. Just a thought.

Back to top Go down

F1 off season Gossiip and changes - Page 2 Empty Re: F1 off season Gossiip and changes

Post by Fernando Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:22 pm

It appears that none of the teams are fussed by the lap time, that generally suggests that it's either not that fast or their capable of doing it aswell

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

Fernando wrote:It appears that none of the teams are fussed by the lap time, that generally suggests that it's either not that fast or their capable of doing it aswell

Brundle just laughed at those responses. Firstly it's way quicker than McLaren's qualifying time last year and secondly......no one has matched it as of yet. Obviously there going to say that their not fussed by the time, why would they admit that their worried by a rivals performance. It a very good time and shows over one lap that their is genuine pace in that Mercedes. Brundle's been saying that he can't fathom what's going on at McLaren and why they are changing so much on their car's every day throughout testing. Their struggling, plain and simple but are capable of turning it around. Also Ferrari are struggling with traction compared to their rivals. Red Bull seem to be without doubt the No.1 as things stand right now, which is worrying.

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sat 02 Mar 2013, 3:54 pm

Not sure why Mclaren made such radical changes given the complete overhaul in the rules next year. Headscratch

John wrote:Red Bull seem to be without doubt the No.1 as things stand right now, which is worrying.
Been reading Brundles comments on the SKY web feed who said that at the Turn 12 sweeping bend between the back straight and the final chicane (playstation participants will know the one) most cars were lifting in 3rd (as you do) whilst Webber was UPSHIFTING.

Not good.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Mar 2013, 4:30 pm

The way I'm reading it is that the Mercedes is a significant improvement on last year and extremely good on one lap pace. Longer runs are the issue for Mercedes and evidence suggests quite gradual drop off's in time on say 10 to 12 lap runs. If they can improve that then they could be a contender. Hamilton could be a serious annoyance to the other top drivers come qualifying that's for sure. The aero package on the Mercedes doesn't look as good as the McLaren or Redbull from the footage I have seen but the traction is on another planet and i'm not going overboard with this. I expect streets circuits for them to dominate and hopefully they can develop the aero side over time and fight the top guys.

As for Red Bull, I'm fearing a Vettel dominance and basically controlling the races. The main entertainment could be the lead chase involving the Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes' boys where it's looking incredibly tight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:18 pm

John wrote:
Fernando wrote:It appears that none of the teams are fussed by the lap time, that generally suggests that it's either not that fast or their capable of doing it aswell

Brundle just laughed at those responses. Firstly it's way quicker than McLaren's qualifying time last year and secondly......no one has matched it as of yet. Obviously there going to say that their not fussed by the time, why would they admit that their worried by a rivals performance. It a very good time and shows over one lap that their is genuine pace in that Mercedes.

Well Alonso has done a 1:20.4 but Rosberg has smashed Hamilton's time by a lot down to a 1:20.1 So it clearly wasn't that fast a time it's that or Ferrari are better then they thought

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Sun 03 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm

Rosberg was trying out one lap runs so that pretty much looks like the Mercs ultimate pace. Not sure if Alonso was the same. Hamiltons time was set at the start of a 5/6 lap stint.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:29 am

Yes. Rosberg was a one lap, basically Q3 time and Hamilton's was a 6 lap run with the fifth time being his best. David Croft mentioned this and said, 'Hamilton's time is still the more impressive out of him and Rosberg with Nico only being 0.4sec quicker'.

You can probably take another 3 tenths off Rosberg's time for Hamilton's ability and difference making and probably the Mercedes' top pace is around a 1.19.8ish. It's impressive but if Alonso is doing 1.20.4 and that car is struggling with traction then you can easily say Red Bull could of smashed the 1.19 barrier and probably been low 1.19 (if you follow me). Red Bull haven't even been showing anywhere near their true pace compared to Mercedes. I'm not sure why Mercedes wanted to do this, maybe giving us and Lewis false hope. I still think the Mercedes over one lap can be on the third row of the grid come Australia, it's all dependent upon who's car is better on long runs and whether or not Mercedes have sorted their high fuel load tyre issues.

Further news is that McLaren are set to use Honda engines from 2015. Interesting. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21655985

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 05 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

You suppose Red Bull have been sandbagging to lull everyone into a false sense of superiority?

Ever the pessimist, I'm still expecting them to blow everyone into the weeds come Q3 in Adelaide. chin
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveG Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:02 pm

Personally hoping its the same as last year. We all thought they were sandbagging but they weren't. BUT 2 years running - nah - wishful thinking.

SteveG

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm

Red Bull were in trouble going into Australia last year, no chance of that this year. Throughout testing they didn't even bother with many long runs, they know the cars an evolution and they've made improvements. Vettel had to catch up last season, this season could be him once again strolling out in front which is worrying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:25 pm

Live grands prix on BBC One
China, 14 April
Spain, 12 May
Canada, 9 June
Silverstone, 30 June
TBA*, 21 July
Belgium, 25 August
Italy, 8 September
Japan, 13 October
India, 27 October
Brazil, 24 November

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Wed 06 Mar 2013, 5:05 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:You suppose Red Bull have been sandbagging to lull everyone into a false sense of superiority?

Ever the pessimist, I'm still expecting them to blow everyone into the weeds come Q3 in Adelaide. chin

?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 2:44 pm

McLaren say they will not become "obsessed" with reliability and will focus on taking risks in the pursuit of the world championship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21741052

Haha........This team is an embarrassment, do they not understand anything or about the importance of actually finishing races. I'm so glad Lewis was bold and took the risk and now not only appears to be in a happier working environment but could also be in a team with a more competitive car than McLaren. Thoughts?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:25 pm

Why the hate for McLaren lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 11 Mar 2013, 3:36 pm

John wrote:McLaren say they will not become "obsessed" with reliability and will focus on taking risks in the pursuit of the world championship.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21741052

Haha........This team is an embarrassment, do they not understand anything or about the importance of actually finishing races. I'm so glad Lewis was bold and took the risk and now not only appears to be in a happier working environment but could also be in a team with a more competitive car than McLaren. Thoughts?

Well the headline sentence for that article is a tad worrying, given mechanical and electrical problems cost McLaren quite dearly last season. You would have thought reliability was the one thing they would obssess over.

As the old adage goes: to finish first, first you have to finish.

Its all very well taking risks in the quest for performance, but its no bloody use having the fastest car on the grid if they keep going "bang" halfway through a race. Rolling Eyes

On the plus side, testing went reasonably well, so hopefully they've not come across any reliability issues.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Mar 2013, 4:14 pm

Olly wrote:Why the hate for McLaren lol

Because this team has caused me so much anxiety, frustration and disbelief and if you've watched them over the last couple of seasons then you will know why. The team infuriates me and the people working for it and I hope that there decisions back-fire upon them this season. Now Hamilton has found sense and left, I don't care one bit about this amateurish, embarrassingly run, under-performing so-called 'top' F1 team who hasn't won a constructors since the 90's.

@dyrewolf - Exactly, the very thing that cost them the title last season (among other factors we should add) is the very thing they should be focusing on an improving but there not. Priorities in the wrong order and that is more than worrying. It's like they are pleased there car is not up-to scratch, so they can show off their skills at developing a car and bringing updates to it throughout the season. This has not worked for the team whatsoever over recent years and once again they will be playing catch-up, however I fear they don't have the driver this season to actually perform that catch up because he left. Can't wait for Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 12 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm

Its almost like McLaren are trying to copy Red Bull, development-wise.

Obviously they've developed their other cars over a season, but the difference is their upgrades tend to have mixed results, while Red Bull can start the season with an average car and end up leaving everyone in their wake (or at least Vettel does).

I'm just hoping their bold statement about taking risks means they've sorted out the engine/gearbox/electrical/hydraulic problems they had last season. If not...

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 12 Mar 2013, 1:02 pm

Most of this board are Hamilton fans and the perception is McLaren are a bunch of pencil moustached super villains that deliberately sabotaged him, while assisting some guy who got his licence last week (Button)
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Tue 12 Mar 2013, 2:04 pm

Laugh

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:40 pm

GSC wrote:

Most of this board are Hamilton fans and the perception is McLaren are a bunch of pencil moustached super villains that deliberately sabotaged him, while assisting some guy who got his licence last week (Button)

Don't be silly...

Spoiler:

See any pencil moustaches there? Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2