The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Munster vs Ulster

+22
valjester
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Cari
asoreleftshoulder
Don Alfonso
neilthom7
toml
The Great Aukster
Sin é
profitius
Artful_Dodger
LeinsterFan4life
WillyGilly
Thomond
Ozzy3213
MMC
clivemcl
Standulstermen
Jenifer McLadyboy
BlueMuff
Ulsterexile
Notch
26 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Munster vs Ulster - Page 6 Empty Munster vs Ulster

Post by Notch Thu 27 Dec 2012, 2:07 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just starting a thread for discussion of the game at Thomond Park on Saturday night. Will add teams as they are announced.

Scarlets defeat at the hands of the Os has given Ulster some breathing room in 1st place- that fact, combined with the fact that there is an Ireland training camp in Kildare this week past and Ulster have three must win games in January (Scarlets, Glasgow and Castres) means that Ulster are resting a large number of key players.

Ulster XV & replacements to face Munster, RaboDirect PRO12, Thomond Park, Sat 29th December, 5.30pm:
(15-9): A D'Arcy, C Cochrane, M Allen, L Marshall, C Gilroy; N O'Connor, P Marshall;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring, A Macklin, L Stevenson, N McComb, R Diack, M McComish, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-23): N Annett, R Lutton, T Court, A O'Connor, A Birch, M Heaney, S Olding, R Andrew.

Still, from an Ulster PoV we'll still get to track the progress of some of the exciting young talent we have breaking through like Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy. It also provides an opportunity for guys on the fringes of the first team like Adam Macklin, Neil McComb, Mike McComish, Michael Allen and Adam D'Arcy a chance to stake their claim for the important games ahead.

Munster: D Hurley; D Howlett capt, C Laulala, J Downey, S Zebo; I Keatley, C Murray; W du Preez, D Varley, BJ Botha; D O'Callaghan, B Holland; P O'Mahony, T O'Donnell, P Butler.

Replacements: M Sherry, M Horan, S Archer, Dave O'Callaghan, J Coughlan, P Stringer, R O'Gara, F Jones.

Good Munster team. Delighted with that- we'll learn a lot about our reserves.

Last edited by Notch on Fri 28 Dec 2012, 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Munster vs Ulster - Page 6 Empty Re: Munster vs Ulster

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Dec 2012, 7:20 am

Artful_Dodger wrote:The Ulster Ravens arent the unbeaten league leaders though are they George?

Munster vs Ulster - Page 6 2211252749

Munster vs Ulster - Page 6 810156456
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:42 am

Gusher: Peter Clohessy, a man who can leave his car unlocked anywhere in Limerick
Bryn: I certainly wouldn't take it
Gusher: Neither would I

Sounds more like a tribute to me!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:55 am

It was Ulster's second chocie team and we were worse than them for the majority of the game. There are not many positives to take from a Munster point of view other than Archer doing half decent. We didn't take the Bonus when it was there to be taken. Not good enough.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 30 Dec 2012, 11:48 am

Thomond wrote:It was Ulster's second chocie team and we were worse than them for the majority of the game. There are not many positives to take from a Munster point of view other than Archer doing half decent. We didn't take the Bonus when it was there to be taken. Not good enough.

I said it during the game but sure will say it again, Murray was really really good and I am not one of his fans.
Zebo was positive as well for a 30 minute spell.

Should have got the bonus point with such a strong team vs such a 2nd string one at home however

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 30 Dec 2012, 4:56 pm

Just back from Limerick. Great rugby city. A few ulster fans behind us letting the side down with their idiotic singing. WE had to move to get away from them at half time but other than that it was a top weekend.

Disappointed Luke Marshall made that mistake for the 3rd try as i thought he was superb otherwise. Michael Allen did rightly too. Olding should now (imo) usurp NOC in the pecking order and Heaney and Birch had good cameos.

If we dont have Muller or Tuohy back for the HEC i would go

Court
Best
Afoa
Stevenson
Henderson
Diack (very impressive last couple of games)
Henry (c)
Williams
Pienaar
Jackson
Gilroy
Marshall (will be wallace though)
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:02 pm

Thomond chin up a little bit - I count 6 of Munster first team that started last night. Yes we should have put a poor Ulster team to the sword but look at the bigger picture.

In 2 years we will have a serious team with the next generation next coming through. Killer, Sherry, D. Ryan, POM, DOC 2, CJ, TOD, Murray, JJ, Zebo, Jones, Earls. All of these are young and have years ahead of them.

Tommy O'Donnell what a transformation. Was brilliant last night. Our back row in 2 years will be superb. Yes our back play is terrible and its not all down to ROG. Mannix is bringing nothing to the table but the Im happy that the talent is there.

I actually think we are 2 years ahead of Leinster in rebuilding our team. If we manage to reach the QFs this year they will all get massive experience. Remember Munster are a team rebuilding are years of POC, ROG, Axle, Wally, DOC and its not going to happen overnight.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:36 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Thomond chin up a little bit - I count 6 of Munster first team that started last night. Yes we should have put a poor Ulster team to the sword but look at the bigger picture.

In 2 years we will have a serious team with the next generation next coming through. Killer, Sherry, D. Ryan, POM, DOC 2, CJ, TOD, Murray, JJ, Zebo, Jones, Earls. All of these are young and have years ahead of them.

Tommy O'Donnell what a transformation. Was brilliant last night. Our back row in 2 years will be superb. Yes our back play is terrible and its not all down to ROG. Mannix is bringing nothing to the table but the Im happy that the talent is there.

I actually think we are 2 years ahead of Leinster in rebuilding our team. If we manage to reach the QFs this year they will all get massive experience. Remember Munster are a team rebuilding are years of POC, ROG, Axle, Wally, DOC and its not going to happen overnight.

+1 on all of that.
Munster need to embrace modern rugby a bit more, what Hook was talking about on RTE after the game was beyond stupid!
They are transforming (personel-wise) now which is great, guys like Zebo, Murray, Ryan and POM are now totems of the Munster team.

Yeah you guys are ahead of Leinster in terms of re-developing however we have managed for years replacing Hickie with Fitzgerald, look at our entire front row now, look at the backrow talent we have grown, contempomi has been replaced by Sexton. We have also developed a new style (4/5 years ahead of Munster) but we do now need to replace our totems the way you guys are doing a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:41 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Just back from Limerick. Great rugby city. A few ulster fans behind us letting the side down with their idiotic singing. WE had to move to get away from them at half time but other than that it was a top weekend.

Disappointed Luke Marshall made that mistake for the 3rd try as i thought he was superb otherwise. Michael Allen did rightly too. Olding should now (imo) usurp NOC in the pecking order and Heaney and Birch had good cameos.

If we dont have Muller or Tuohy back for the HEC i would go

Court
Best
Afoa
Stevenson
Henderson
Diack (very impressive last couple of games)
Henry (c)
Williams
Pienaar
Jackson
Gilroy
Marshall (will be wallace though)
Cave
Trimble
Payne
What were they chanting?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Dec 2012, 5:49 pm

Nah, I don't think Wallace will get picked Stand. If he was going to, he would have got some minutes over Christmas. We went for our strongest team against Leinster and he was on the bench. Don't think he even got off it. And I don't think he was at the Ireland camp either.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueMuff Sun 30 Dec 2012, 6:54 pm

Spot on Pete, Leinster are light years ahead in style of play especially in the backs, dynamic runners, wingers coming back inside, switches whereas with Munster you see first centre running acorss the pitch to pass to second centre who also moves sideways and passes to wing who runs out of space or gets isolated.

Personally I think Mannix is the problem but Rome wasnt built in a day and its going to take time to develop this style of play that is almost alien to Munster.

BlueMuff

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 30 Dec 2012, 7:33 pm

BlueMuff wrote:Spot on Pete, Leinster are light years ahead in style of play especially in the backs, dynamic runners, wingers coming back inside, switches whereas with Munster you see first centre running acorss the pitch to pass to second centre who also moves sideways and passes to wing who runs out of space or gets isolated.

Personally I think Mannix is the problem but Rome wasnt built in a day and its going to take time to develop this style of play that is almost alien to Munster.

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 30 Dec 2012, 8:07 pm

Notch wrote:Nah, I don't think Wallace will get picked Stand. If he was going to, he would have got some minutes over Christmas. We went for our strongest team against Leinster and he was on the bench. Don't think he even got off it. And I don't think he was at the Ireland camp either.

I hope so notch. Not a criticism of paddy but Luke is playing so well I hope anscombe makes the change. I thought he was the standout player On the pitch until his mistake for the third try.

LF4L

Nothing serious was chanted but it was a chanting you would expect at windsor at times. Just wasn't respectful. It was a shame as their enthusiasm was great. Just too much Ale on board maybe

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Dec 2012, 8:16 pm

I think Anscombe will recognise that. Its the decider for his picking on form policy. Now we have a guy who has a lot to offer and has been a key player for Ulster in recent years (Paddy Wallace) but a young tyro has been playing better than him (Luke Marshall).

He has to get the call right or his promises to the squad of selections made on form can be questioned- he was faced with a similar call after Gilroys performances for Ireland in the autumn and he got right when he backed Trimble, who has been one of our very best players since then. I'm nearly sure he'll pick Marshall against the Scarlets and that game is Luke Marshalls chance to copper fasten his place. Its good for us, because we all know Paddy Wallace isn't going to let us down if he's recalled either.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 30 Dec 2012, 8:30 pm

Notch wrote:I think Anscombe will recognise that. Its the decider for his picking on form policy. Now we have a guy who has a lot to offer and has been a key player for Ulster in recent years (Paddy Wallace) but a young tyro has been playing better than him (Luke Marshall).

He has to get the call right or his promises to the squad of selections made on form can be questioned- he was faced with a similar call after Gilroys performances for Ireland in the autumn and he got right when he backed Trimble, who has been one of our very best players since then. I'm nearly sure he'll pick Marshall against the Scarlets and that game is Luke Marshalls chance to copper fasten his place. Its good for us, because we all know Paddy Wallace isn't going to let us down if he's recalled either.

Agree with all of that notch. Next target will be D'arcy

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:05 pm

Standulstermen wrote:I hope so notch. Not a criticism of paddy but Luke is playing so well I hope anscombe makes the change. I thought he was the standout player On the pitch until his mistake for the third try.

Can't agree that Marshall did anything wrong for the third try. O'Donnell had bound illegally to POM before the tackle, and Marshall really can't be expected to stop two bound backrows at full steam?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:19 pm

Standulstermen wrote:
Notch wrote:I think Anscombe will recognise that. Its the decider for his picking on form policy. Now we have a guy who has a lot to offer and has been a key player for Ulster in recent years (Paddy Wallace) but a young tyro has been playing better than him (Luke Marshall).

Agree with all of that notch. Next target will be D'arcy

If you mean Luke Marshall going after Gordon D'Arcys Ireland place then- yes! I agree. But he needs to not only start Ulsters next three games but play well in them. The biggest is Castres away, any team that goes there needs to show it's mettle.

If you mean Adam D'Arcy- I wasn't that impressed with him.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:26 pm

D'Arcy was starting in his first game this season and made his tackles, made some ground going forward and was the pick of the back three for me. He has certainly done enough to be in the mix next week.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 30 Dec 2012, 9:41 pm

Fingers crossed Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:00 pm

Yeah, I agree he'll be on the bench. But is he seriously going to take Jared Paynes spot? Payne is just too good.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:10 pm

Not sure aukster. Didn't see much wrong with the two lads bound for the third try. Look to be just driving him. Marshall initially stopped him though and to me if more first teamers are there they would have been piling in. As it is O'Connor just jogged past without helping.

Still it has to go down as a missed tackle and Marshall stayed on the ground for ages after it. He was clearly angry with himself. I didn't think D'arcy was bad but he was peripheral and didn't get much chance. Definite backup

Marshall does need to start the heineken games but if you can cope with Downey and Laulala I dont see anything in the castres or Glasgow centres to cause fear. Add to that he would have Darren cave beside him and i wouldn't be too concerned.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

Notch wrote:Yeah, I agree he'll be on the bench. But is he seriously going to take Jared Paynes spot? Payne is just too good.

Payne is a far better player than D'Arcy, but Adam is the next best fullback in the squad and could do with time in the Scarlets game. He could be a real asset off the bench in the HEC games as he has that big game experience.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:34 pm

Put Marshall in!

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sun 30 Dec 2012, 10:37 pm

We will, chill.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 02 Jan 2013, 3:07 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Standulstermen wrote:I hope so notch. Not a criticism of paddy but Luke is playing so well I hope anscombe makes the change. I thought he was the standout player On the pitch until his mistake for the third try.

Can't agree that Marshall did anything wrong for the third try. O'Donnell had bound illegally to POM before the tackle, and Marshall really can't be expected to stop two bound backrows at full steam?

What was illegal about it? What law?
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6