The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

R.I.P Neil Adcock

4 posters

Go down

R.I.P  Neil Adcock Empty R.I.P Neil Adcock

Post by Guest Tue 08 Jan 2013, 5:28 pm

South Africa news

Neil Adcock dies aged 81
ESPNcricinfo staff
January 6, 2013

Neil Adcock, the former South Africa fast bowler, has died at the age of 81 in Howick, KwaZulu-Natal. He had pneumonia and was also suffering from cancer for a long period of time.

Adcock played 26 Tests for South Africa between 1953 and 1962, and took 104 wickets at an average of 21.10. After he took 26 wickets in a Test series in England in 1960, Wisden honoured him as one of their five Cricketers of the Year in 1961. He played 99 first-class games, taking 405 wickets at 17.25 apiece. After retiring, Adcock became part of SABC's radio commentary team.

"Neil was one of the great fast bowlers during what was truly a golden era of fast bowling," Cricket South Africa's acting chief executive Jacques Faul said. "At that time England had Trueman, Statham and Tyson; Australia had Lindwall, Miller and Davidson; and the West Indies had Hall and Gilchrist. Neil was right up with the best of them.

"On behalf of the CSA family and fans around the country I extend our condolences to his wife, Maureen, his family and friends."

Back to top Go down

R.I.P  Neil Adcock Empty Re: R.I.P Neil Adcock

Post by gboycottnut Tue 08 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

SA had the first of their 4 greatest ever new ball fast bowling pair of all time in Adcock and Heine in the 1950's. Also does anyone remember Geoff Griffin who was another SA fast bowler but wasn't in the same class and quality as Adcock due to no ball problems. Apparently when NZ played a test series in SA in 1962, SA had available THREE terror fast bowlers in Adcock, Heine and a young Peter Pollock. Sadly though all 3 never played in the same test in that series.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 08 Jan 2013, 9:27 pm

CF - thanks for alerting us I hadn't heard this sad news. Comments are correct that there was a formidable bank of fast bowlers around at that time.

I had initially assumed the Windies reference was to the famous partnership of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffiths. Had forgotten about Gilchrist who played in tests from 1960 - 69.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Tue 08 Jan 2013, 10:43 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:CF - thanks for alerting us I hadn't heard this sad news. Comments are correct that there was a formidable bank of fast bowlers around at that time.

I had initially assumed the Windies reference was to the famous partnership of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffiths. Had forgotten about Gilchrist who played in tests from 1960 - 69.

Didn't Gilchrist play in the 1950's decade rather than the 1960's? I don't recall him playing in the 1963, 1966 and 1969 tours of England.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:10 am

boycs,
Griffin didn't bowl no-balls, he threw no-balls.

And Gilchrist was a violent man, a little google-ing would uncover some astonishing accounts of his exploits, made Larwood look like a choirboy in comparison.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:13 am

kwinigolfer wrote:boycs,
Griffin didn't bowl no-balls, he threw no-balls.

And Gilchrist was a violent man, a little google-ing would uncover some astonishing accounts of his exploits, made Larwood look like a choirboy in comparison.

It wasn't Griffin's fault that he threw no-balls, after all he did have a physical disability in being able to keep his arm straightened.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Wed 09 Jan 2013, 8:14 pm

Very sad news.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 09 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

gboycottnut wrote:
Corporalhumblebucket wrote:CF - thanks for alerting us I hadn't heard this sad news. Comments are correct that there was a formidable bank of fast bowlers around at that time.

Didn't Gilchrist play in the 1950's decade rather than the 1960's? I don't recall him playing in the 1963, 1966 and 1969 tours of England.

Boycs - you're right. I was mixing two things up. 60 - 69 was when Griffiths played test cricket. Gilchrist came before Griffiths

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down