The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quentin Tarantino

+8
Skydriver
SharkSoul
Galted
MIG
Stella
alfie
super_realist
Crimey
12 posters

Go down

Quentin Tarantino Empty Quentin Tarantino

Post by Crimey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:38 am

One of the most celebrated film-makers of all time, his style is distinct, his films all cult favourites but what do V2 think of him, and how do you rank his films?

For me: (haven't seen Django Unchained)

Reservoir Dogs
Inglorious Basterds
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Volume 2
Kill Bill Volume 1
Jackie Brown

I think Reservoir Dogs is the most dramatic by far, Inglorious Basterds the most cinematic and "normal" and Pulp Fiction is the funniest. The only I think that disappointed me was Jackie Brown where the main story wasn't really that exciting and the stars were clearly Robert DeNiro's Louis and Melanie, it definitely picked up towards the end but I think the previous hour or so didn't live up to Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction..

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Quentin Tarantino Empty Re: Quentin Tarantino

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:09 am

I just don't see the appeal of his films.
I quite like some of the dialogue though, but pointlessly violent and he seems like a bit of a tw@t too.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:16 am

Loved Pulp Fiction. Witty and clever.
Hated Inglorious Basterds. (despite some good moments ) What was the point of it ?

Amazingly I have never seen Reservoir Dogs , though I would like to.

Likes his violence , doesn't he ? Wonder what he's like at a dinner party...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:16 am

I think his films are excellent, there is obviously a lot of violence, but I wouldn't say it's as bad as films like Saw or anything like that.

I would say he's probably a bit pretentious and agrees with his own hype.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:17 am

I'd definitely recommend Reservoir Dogs, which has some of the best acting I've ever seen.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:29 am

Love Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds.

I think he wrote True Romance as well.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:30 am

I actually prefer the films he wrote like True Romance, Natural Born Killers.

You missed off Death Proof which is just hilarious. Stuntman Mike is just awesome.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:41 am

I was counting what are considered Tarantino films, Kill Bill Volume 1 is called his fourth film at the start which means True Romance and Natural Born Killers aren't counted. I don't think Death Proof is either because of the involvement of Robert Rodriguez.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 16 Jan 2013, 10:53 am

He wrote and directed Death Proof Headscratch

In general I don't mind his films. I find his style very intricate because he does really account for very fine details. I think Pulp Fiction eptimises that very well because of the dialogue and the chemistry between the characters. Aside from all the violence, I think he is a good story teller.

I think the making of any great director/film maker is one that has a style or niche that defines their film making. Like with Hitchcock, Kubrick, Scorsese, Coen Brothers, Scott I think Tarantino films have that auora about them which defines them from other films.

Back to top Go down

Post by MIG Wed 16 Jan 2013, 11:20 am

Love Tarantino.
My favourites are Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds which I don't think I could choose between, closely followed by Reservoir Dogs.
Wasn't a huge fan of Jackie Brown.
Loved Kill Bill v 1, only seen v 2 once and was a bit meh, should really watch it again, same as Jackie Brown as I've been told to give it another go.
True Romance is another great film. Wasn't he involved in From Dusk Till Dawn too (I know he was in it). That had the makings of a good film then just went weird!
Will definitely go and see Django Unchained soon.

MIG
Sheep Champ
Sheep Champ

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 16 Jan 2013, 12:29 pm

Enjoy his films but they do get far too self-indulgent, get a bit bored of the extreme homage to genres that needs to replicate faults such as continuity errors and plot holes. Personal favourite is Reservoir Dogs (& True Romance if writing is included) but don't see him as much more than a (re)maker of quirky comedies - fun to watch but wouldn't include him in a list of top directors.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 16 Jan 2013, 2:06 pm

Natural Born Killers and Inglorious Basterds were absolute turkeys. Awful films.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Wed 16 Jan 2013, 3:01 pm

QT is a great director. Granted one who loves the 'science of violence' but a great one nonetheless. I understand exactly why people don't like his movies but those are the exact reasons I do.

legendkillar made some valid points up there about him. Any director that get people talking about his style and split an audience like him is a worthy one.

My favourites are as follows.

1-Reservoir Dogs
2-Pulp Fiction
3-Inglorious bar stewards
4-Kill Bill 1
5-Jackie Brown
6-Kill Bill 2

If he had directed True Romance then it would be up there because thst is one of my favourites but unfortunately that is the late great Tony Scotts. I didn't particularly like Natural Born Killers and neither did QT with what Oliver Stone did with it, they fell out over his take on it. Death Proof I thought was the weaker of the one half of Grindhouse and preferred Rodriguezs 'Planet Terror' and I loved 'Dusk Til Dawn' but that is also RRs.

I am yet to see Django but I'm really looking forward to it so it could make an entrance on that list.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 16 Jan 2013, 3:43 pm

The man has an oversized ego, but I think some of his films are very good. The violence is sometimes disturbing, but is often a necessary part of the stories he wants to tell.

I quite like the way he pops up unexpectedly elsewhere (e.g. has appeared in one or two TV shows - I'm thinking of Alias but am sure there have been others, guest director on Sin City - I think he did the Clive Owen / Benecio Del Toro "dead man talking" car segment).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 5:11 pm

I'm surprised by how low a lot of people rate Kill Bill Volume 2, I thought that was the stronger of the two films with a lot more action in it and felt a lot more Tarantino-esque. I think that Volume 1 was a bit too slow, it was clear that it was only half a movie because it just didn't move at a quick enough pace and felt more dragged out than most of his films.

Weirdly, I find that Jackie Brown is probably the one that splits most people. Either it's seen as his best or his worst, I personally believe the latter, I think the main character wasn't necessarily not likeable but just uninteresting.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:03 pm

1.Pulp Fiction
2.Res Dogs
Both brilliant(imo)

3.Inglorios basterds
4.Jackie Brown(havnt seen for ages)

5/6Kill bill 1&2
Havnt seen Deathproof.

True Romance is amazing, Natural Born Killers I didnt enjoy.
For me he a great directer since I like all his films and love some of them.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 16 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

Crimey wrote:I'm surprised by how low a lot of people rate Kill Bill Volume 2, I thought that was the stronger of the two films with a lot more action in it and felt a lot more Tarantino-esque. I think that Volume 1 was a bit too slow, it was clear that it was only half a movie because it just didn't move at a quick enough pace and felt more dragged out than most of his films.

I thought it's the consensus view of punters that Vol 1 is preferred. They are deliberately different films, literally looking in different directions (the chopsocky action from the Far East and the Western), so it's not surprising that people lean towards one rather than the other. My views are oddly the opposite of yours. Vol 1 had Uma v The Crazy 88... isn't that in itself more action than in Vol 2???

The bit of trivia that has piqued my interest from when the films were made and regurgitated more recently is that Q&U might eventually make Vol 3 - the story following on from The Bride's "I did not want you to see that / if you want revenge, come find me" speech to Vivica Fox's daughter. Tarantino allegedly said he might do it once that young actress had grown up, but it had to be her playing the part.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 16 Jan 2013, 7:15 pm

Yeah, he did say that at the time but read recently that he thinks it probably won't happen now. I think that's a shame.

I think it's because I liked the characters of Budd and Elle more than O-Ren, so the second film just felt much better. It felt much more complete than the first volume.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:01 pm

I quite like some Tarantino stuff, but he's very overrated in my opinion. Very much style over substance.

I know he's not alone, but he really has stolen loads of his stuff wholesale from other movies (shot-for-shot in some instances). Still, it's all about self-promotion and getting your stuff out there. He's very canny. Just having 'Tarantino presents...' is enough to shift some serious dross.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 16 Jan 2013, 9:31 pm

Brilliant screenwriter and a average director.

True Romance shows how a brilliant his screenplays can be in the hands of a great director.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Thu 17 Jan 2013, 11:22 am

Crimey wrote:Yeah, he did say that at the time but read recently that he thinks it probably won't happen now. I think that's a shame.

I think it's because I liked the characters of Budd and Elle more than O-Ren, so the second film just felt much better. It felt much more complete than the first volume.

Fair enough. For my money, I found O-Ren to be very interesting (and loved the visuals of the duel in the snow), thought chucking in an animé chapter was a mad but cool idea etc. I also much prefer the soundtrack from Vol 1 by some distance.

Am just remembering that, knowing I have some background in martial arts, one of my (very intelligent) colleagues asked me at the time whether the five point palm exploding heart technique was real. Hmmm.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 17 Jan 2013, 12:22 pm

Adam D wrote:Brilliant screenwriter and a average director.

True Romance shows how a brilliant his screenplays can be in the hands of a great director.

Think that sums him up very well.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 17 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

super_realist wrote:I just don't see the appeal of his films.
I quite like some of the dialogue though, but pointlessly violent and he seems like a bit of a tw@t too.
I am 100% with you on this. I like Reservoir Dogs, I like Pulp Fiction if you fast forward the first 45mins (all the dancing/drugs nonsense), but nothing else he's ever done is worth watching. Inglorious B*sterds was dreadful.

Am intruiged by Django Unchained though, I must admit...

Back to top Go down

Post by SharkSoul Mon 21 Jan 2013, 12:23 am

I went to see Django Unchained lastnight and absolutely loved it. For me it has entered into his 'Top 3' behind Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. If you love his violence, his comedy and his colourful characters then this one is for you. Only gripe was it had the perfect opportunity to end the film but then it carried on for another 30 minutes. Other than that go check it out. 8.5/10.

SharkSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Tue 22 Jan 2013, 11:39 pm

I only like Pulp Fiction, that's move is epic. Kill Bill vol 1 is alright, don't particulary like the rest of the films on that list. Resovoir Dogs is a bit overrated, but watchable.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum