The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

england promising future?

+18
Chjw131
sirtidychris
G2
RubyGuby
ChequeredJersey
ultra
beshocked
Cyril
Pal Joey
Biltong
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
MotelMoneyMurderMadness
lostinwales
thebluesmancometh
formerly known as Sam
Geordie
nobbled
adambarney
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

england promising future? - Page 2 Empty england promising future?

Post by adambarney Thu 17 Jan 2013, 4:04 pm

First topic message reminder :

England have some exciting young players coming through but to see young forwards is a bonus,cause most nations produce good young backs but not many forwards.if lawes,launcbury,b.vunipola and m.vunipola fufill potential england pack could be scary plus in backline likes of tuilagi,wade,joseph,may and one to watch antony watson and forgot daly england could have fastest backline of all time.2015 team could be:

1.corbesiero
2.t.youngs
3.cole
4.lawes
5.launchbury
6.wood
7.kvesvic
8.b.vunipola
9.b.youngs
10.burns/ford
11.wade
12.daly/twelvtrees
13.tuilagi
14.may
15.watson

16.hartley
17.m.vunipola
18.?
19.garvey/matthews
20.croft
21.care/simpson
22.ford/burns
23.joseph

adambarney

Back to top Go down

england promising future? - Page 2 Empty Re: england promising future?

Post by Chjw131 Fri 18 Jan 2013, 6:17 pm

king_carlos wrote:
Chjw131 wrote:
sirtidychris wrote:Still if we get injuries to Dan Cole and Manu tuilagi then were are up poop creek, say what you like about JJ, Lowe and Tomkins or Wilson and...... but without these guys and we lose some serious power.

Tuilagi is pretty much the sole attacking option for the back-line so losing him would see half the team written off. Losing Cole, whilst in my opinion the best Tight Head in World rugby at the moment, would be a huge blow Wilson can cover just as well as Cole in the Scrum particularly if Corbs is on the other side. What we would lose is Cole's breakdown work. In exchange we'd get Wilson's carrying of which Cole does very little.

I actually think, despite Cole's superb ability losing Tuilagi would be a bigger blow for the team.

That depends who else is in the backline IMO. If Farrell is at 10 with Barritt at 12 then the wings practically don't see the ball making Manu our only attacking treat in the backs, losing him would therefore be a huge blow. However if we had 10.Burns 12.Twelvetrees the rest of the backline would see more of the ball and the 10/12 axis would offer attacking threats themselves. In that case I think Cole would be a bigger blow as the platform his breakdown and set piece work could give Burns would be a huge threat.

I entirely agree on the backline point and Burns would be my preferred starter at 10. Wilson's scrummaging however is really very good and the platform with Corbisiero from the scrum would be comparable to Cole's. What you don't get is Cole's breakdown work and that might present a case for someone such as young Will Fraser at 7; Wilson's alternative attribute being carrying.

Ultimately as we've all said a thousand times it comes down to balance. Both in the backline and the pack. At present I think we have some good balance in the pack but the backline is still hopelessly dependent on Tuilagi whilst Farrell and Barritt keep their spots.

Chjw131

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Fri 18 Jan 2013, 7:11 pm

RubyGuby wrote:What Wade didn't show last night was his ability to beat people head on - He has gas to burn and given space and a gap he will be through it no problem. If he can develop a side-step/jink on the move then he will go all the way, if not, we may see more ineffective performances like last night. Time is well on his side and a good coach would get him to watch dvd's of Shane and Jason Robinson so he can add that vital weapon to his natural speed. Good luck young man thumbsup

A jink and step certainly aren't things Wade lacks, plenty of evidence of that on youtube if you haven't seen much of him before. He's said in a number of interviews that Robinson & Williams are the players he most admires and has studied, with Lemi providing plenty of input as he came up through the Wasps ranks as well.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

We have more options at 13 who are viable than at 3. At 3 we have... no-one really. PDJ and retired Stevens and a few youngsters with promise

At 13, Joseph, Lowe, arguably Tait, Trinder could all do a job at least
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Fri 18 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

And yeah, Wade has a side-step, though not quite like Billy Whizz or Williams yet!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Fri 18 Jan 2013, 9:00 pm

CJ

At Wades age mind Williams hadn't any sort of sidestep or real gas, he was a small muddling scrum half, it was only after early dissapointments he went out and trained intensely on the attributes he developed over the years.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:10 pm

I think there's no doubt English rugby is in the best state it's been in since pre-2003, and I only expect it to get stronger over the next few years with players like Twelvetrees, Knight and May pushing hard for the matchday squad. The academies are throwing out significant numbers of players with real potential, and the AP sides are giving them opportunities. Meanwhile the senior side has already established a core of young players who will proably still be around for the 2019 WC.

I actually think it is too late for any player who wasn't involved in last seasons' u20 squad to force their way in, given the strength in depth in front of them. From last years' group my top 5 would be:

- Ford
- Nowell (as a winger, not a fullback)
- Kvesic
- Vunipola
- Daly

My one exception to it being too late unless you featured last season is Anthony Watson (again as a wing), but he has a lot to work on.

I'm sure Sinckler will play for the senior side, but I think 2015 is a year too soon.

And one other wildcard - Kyle Eastmond, if Bath decide they actually want to play some rugby at some point. He's as gifted as any English player.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveM Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

Wade had a terible game against the Dragons, but that's why he isn't in the senior squad - he still has a lot to learn. Wasps were making no ground and yet he kept trying to run against a fully organised defence. I'm sure the game, and the post-game analysis will have done him a huge amount of good.

DaveM

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:24 pm

DaveM wrote:Wade had a terible game against the Dragons, but that's why he isn't in the senior squad - he still has a lot to learn. Wasps were making no ground and yet he kept trying to run against a fully organised defence. I'm sure the game, and the post-game analysis will have done him a huge amount of good.

^^^ Exactly the point I was making!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by johnpartle Sat 19 Jan 2013, 2:48 pm

DaveM, I agree that most of those 5 have a decent chance of pushing for the senior side over the next few years. Not sure I've seen enough from Nowell in that regard though, I would have had Yarde (or your later selection Watson) as a more likely wing option.

johnpartle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2