The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer Forced To Skip Breakfast

+11
banbrotam
newballs
djlovesyou
super_realist
R!skysports
Chydremion
Josiah Maiestas
invisiblecoolers
socal1976
JuliusHMarx
hawkeye
15 posters

Go down

Federer Forced To Skip Breakfast Empty Federer Forced To Skip Breakfast

Post by hawkeye Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:32 pm

Federer has so far shouldered the responsibility of keeping the Australian public happy gallantly. But is it really fair that his fellow semi finalist has got away scott free? Not only has Federer brought in the most cash at the ticket office but being forced to repeatedly play the prime time but inconvenient night time session has meant he has been forced to miss breakfast.

“I've skipped breakfast for two weeks now. Seriously, that's what it's been. I've been going to bed at 3 a.m. every morning and wake up at noon. Is that a nice life? I don't know. I enjoy playing on Rod Laver Arena, but in some ways I'd rather have the day session because that creates a normal rhythm and a normal life. Going to bed at 3:00 in the morning and getting up at noon is not what you're supposed to be doing.”

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/01/they-said-what-australian-open-edition/46154/#.UQBfxvKy5QQ

Isn't it about time that Federer's extra commitment, inconvenience and cash generating powers are rewarded? Equal prize money is all very well but only if it is a reward for equal work and perhaps more importantly equal ability to generate income?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Federer Forced To Skip Breakfast Empty Re: Federer Forced To Skip Breakfast

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:34 pm

That Federer - always whinging about something Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm

Ah a million dollars a week has away of assuaging the terrible hardships one must go through.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 23 Jan 2013, 10:57 pm

Another brilliant master piece HawkEye, this one should get the article of the week title notworthy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:25 pm

I'm fed up of organisers giving our champion the short end of the stick every time! furious
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Wed 23 Jan 2013, 11:42 pm

Federer always has to play the night sessions...sigh.
Maybe in slams he can get away with it (although the f-uped bio-rythm will do him no well) but in master series it has happened repeatedly that after a night semifinal he had to come out the next day to play an afternoon final against Djokovic, Murray or Nadal, while having had less than a day rest, and that at his age. Madrid and Toronto 2010 are perfect examples of this, where he was more fatigued than his opponent because of the schedule. Being the most popular player in tennis not always brings benefits.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 24 Jan 2013, 9:42 am

Shouldn't this title be

Fereder gets too big for his breakfast boot?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:49 am

Did his wife eat his breakfast? Certainly looks like it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:54 am

super_realist wrote:Did his wife eat his breakfast? Certainly looks like it.

You seem to spend a lot of time obsessing about female weight issues.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 10:55 am

Well, she is a bit of a lard ass, seemed an appropriate quip to suggest that if Federer was being forced to miss breakfast it might be because his wife was pinching off his plate.

Must say though, very strange thing for Federer to moan about, he can have breakfast every day once he's retired, or he can get a 9-5 job like everyone else,

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:11 am

super-realist can't really see Federer with a baseball cap asking all and sundry if they want fries with their burger.

It does beg the question though of what the maestro normally has for breakfast anyway? Looks like a tea and crumpet man to this casual observer.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:19 am

If I was Federer, or any pro, I'd never moan about scheduling or missing breakfast. Seems a very trivial thing to moan about (a bit like Bendtner moaning about not being allowed to ski) when you earn millions and are doing something you ought to love, i'd miss dinner too and be happy, his wife could certainly do with having such a diet imposed Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:Another brilliant master piece HawkEye, this one should get the article of the week title notworthy

Arguably her finest moment. I'm impressed with the creativity. It's an art to manage to get the demand for Roger's interviews blamed on Andy

Amazing

clap clap clap clap clap clap

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 24 Jan 2013, 11:30 am

super_realist wrote: his wife could certainly do with having such a diet imposed Laugh

Are you just waiting for someone to laugh at one of your jokes? I remember the thread about Kvitova and Robson and you made about 5 consecutive posts about her weight which everyone just ignored. You've gone 3 consecutive about Mirka Federer being overweight now - I'm just wondering if it's an attention thing.

Very funny, good lad. <<There you go.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:04 pm

Well said djlovesyou OK

Personally I always dismiss assessments by 'expert' armchair fans when it comes to matters of weight or fitness. Easily expressed from a keyboard, such views are neither funny nor credible - as though you can get to the upper levels of pro tennis whilst unfit and overweight Whistle Let alone win a Slam like Kvitova .....

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:14 pm

In the womens game I think you can if you get a favourable draw. Power being more important than tactics, touch and finesse, plus it's over so quickly you don't need to be that fit.

You don't see the likes of Nalbandian (another who carries who bit more than necessary) winning tournaments regularly in the mens game. The top 4, are supreme athletes of a ridiculous nature, and their coaches wouldn't stand for beer bellies like Kvitova and Nalbandian. Small percentages all add up to a greater athlete.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:23 pm

I think some posters are a little bit hard on Kvitova. I certainly don't think that she spent her youth drinking lots of Budvar for sure and it's rather harsh to call it a beer belly. She is actually in quite good shape but I believe slightly asthmatic which wouldn't have helped her in the Melbourne heat. Also I didn't notice her (unlike say Serena) looking for excuses following her loss to Robson so good luck to her for the rest of the year.

Finally (whilst I'm getting these things off my chest") someone said she was "no looker" on another thread. For heaven's sake this tennis isn't a shop window where you eye up the available goods on offer.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:28 pm

newballs wrote:

Finally (whilst I'm getting these things off my chest") someone said she was "no looker" on another thread. For heaven's sake this tennis isn't a shop window where you eye up the available goods on offer.

All part of the same poster's agenda.

(But having said that, he also stated that Heather Watson should stand to lose her beer belly too a little while back, so I'm not so sure there's a whole lot of credibility there.)

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:33 pm

Well I give credit to you for a respectable response there super realist

But I'm still not prepared to accept 'beer belly' labels, on the basis of tv viewing, attached to athletes who can perform for many. hours, often in extreme temperatures, and at a level none of us will ever come remotely close to ; regardless of how much they may actually win when it comes to the ultimate test ........

A poster tried to tell us the other day that Wawrinka's fitness level was "simply horrendous". And then he proceeded to match toe to toe one of the fittest athletes in the world, in any sport, for over five hours ....... picard

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:34 pm

I think, joking aside that weight/conditioning is an issue in Tennis, I continuously rate it as one of the toughest sport at the top level in terms of duration, intensity, conditions, type of movements, power required, recovery and the amount of matches in a short time scale.
When you see the strides that Murray and Djokovic have made in particular, you have to ask what benefit these slightly more flabby (lets be honest, they're still slimmer than your average Brit) gain from carrying superfluous weight as fat. Surely it makes more sense to work on their conditioning and be in the best possible shape they can be? How else can you possibly give yourself the best possible chance of reaching your potential.

If Murray or Djokovic was to tape a bag of sugar to their belly, how much worse would they expect to move, and how much more tired would they be?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:38 pm

And Mirka Federer's weight is an issue to you why? Are you concerned about her future career in tennis?

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:41 pm

That is because Federer fills his boots at nighttime, so he doesn't need a miserly and dull breakfast.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:43 pm

Not at all, just meant to be an observation or quip regarding Federers lack of breakfast and why he might be missing it.
However, it did serve to raise a pertinent issue in womens tennis.

I can't see any justification in any sport where being fat or having excess fat, can outweigh the benefit of being conditioned and in the best possible shape they can be. Perhaps they are happy being journeymen, maybe they are gluttons, maybe they are just plain lazy, the top most consistent players in any sport though, are almost always the ones in the best shape.

It wouldn't take much for Kvitova to lose that shapeless belly, and it might just give her that 1% edge the next time she makes a GS Final.

I don't think there is anything wrong in an observation like that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:44 pm

djlovesyou wrote:And Mirka Federer's weight is an issue to you why? Are you concerned about her future career in tennis?

Talking about players currently active is one thing. Personal comment about family members is quite another and has no place on the forum (save perhaps if it happens to relate to questionable court-side behaviour).

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:48 pm

djlovesyou wrote:And Mirka Federer's weight is an issue to you why? Are you concerned about her future career in tennis?
This is Brad Pitt we are talking about here sir.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:51 pm

super_realist wrote:Not at all, just meant to be an observation or quip regarding Federers lack of breakfast and why he might be missing it.
However, it did serve to raise a pertinent issue in womens tennis.

I can't see any justification in any sport where being fat or having excess fat, can outweigh the benefit of being conditioned and in the best possible shape they can be. Perhaps they are happy being journeymen, maybe they are gluttons, maybe they are just plain lazy, the top most consistent players in any sport though, are almost always the ones in the best shape.

It wouldn't take much for Kvitova to lose that shapeless belly, and it might just give her that 1% edge the next time she makes a GS Final.

I don't think there is anything wrong in an observation like that.

Think Kvitova's major problem is her mental issues rather than any physical ones as she showed during her long match V Laura Robson.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 24 Jan 2013, 12:58 pm

I'd agree that's certainly an issue, though she might have been mentally sharper had the effort of carrying around a spare couple of pounds not worn her out.
The women's game is a strange one though, a revolving door of talent at the top, with many people of many shapes and sizes. Does the lack of a dominant number one affect the training regime of people aiming for a physiological ideal?
I'm actually surprised that anyone involved in Tennis, can be anything other than in tip top condition. Rather strange to see so many differences in conditioning.
You don't see such differences across equally active sports like swimming, cycling, athletics etc.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 24 Jan 2013, 1:55 pm

What misogynist rubbish being spouted here! Roger recognizes a good women when he sees one. He is very lucky to have Mirka because without her he would be nothing (or a whole lot less...) Tennis fans are also lucky he has Mirka and lucky she is still keen to carry on traveling. I'm pretty sure the day she decides she has had enough will be the day Federer hangs up his racquet.

It does show how thin things are at the top of the men's game when one player takes so much responsibility for filling the stadiums. Nadal is badly missed as he no doubt would take some of the burden of missing breakfast from Federer.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Jan 2013, 2:13 pm

How on earth do you find the cheek to moan about the responses on such a crap and un-informative article?!?

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

Yep, such irony, "the burden of missing breakfast" - you just couldn't make it up

Although in hawkeye's case ............. Laugh

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:52 pm

OMG aint life hard at the top.. ??? to miss one´s breakfast what a hardship.
I daresay there are millions doing the same thing every day.
Its only for a fortnight Fed .. the sacrifice one makes for having the night session instead of playing in 40 deg.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 24 Jan 2013, 3:57 pm

Mind you skipping Lunch is better than skipping breakfast Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:01 pm

He is not so much missing breakfast as gaining brunch. Doesn't sound like a bad deal Very Happy

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:07 pm

He pobably misses "fighting" with the twins as to who can find most plastic toys in the cereal boxes

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:08 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:He pobably misses "fighting" with the twins as to who can find most plastic toys in the cereal boxes

Those are banned these days aren't they? Health and Safety.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:17 pm

Oh JM just spoil the fun..health and safety my ar@se poor kids dont have anything these days ... cant play snowballs, conkers, sixpences in the Xmas puddings..chips out of newspaper.. LORD KNOWS how DID I survive these hazards. picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 24 Jan 2013, 4:25 pm

They have cell phones to give them brain cancer, so we haven't taken all their fun away.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down