The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned?

+7
Notch
Brendan
Submachine
Kingshu
profitius
Jenifer McLadyboy
Don Alfonso
11 posters

Go down

One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned? Empty One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned?

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 25 Jan - 0:02

There was a proposal (or was it an edict?) that caused some furore when it was announced last year – that no province would be allowed to engage an NIQ player in a position where there was already one signed by another province. This applied to Ulster, Munster and Leinster, I think.

The logic is obvious – we can’t afford to have only one IQ player getting regular game-time in any position. Should they go down injured, it may prove disastrous for the national team. Makes sense, although many thought it would be hard to manage.

In the Irish Times today, in an article primarily about the contract situations of Ross and Sexton, it was mentioned that Botha may turn down the offer of a one-year contract from Munster, preferring to go to France.

Given that Afoa plays in the same position at Ulster, his contract ends at the end of the 2013-14 season, and both are first-choice players, does this imply this rule is not going to be applied? Has anyone heard anything about this?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned? Empty Re: One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned?

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 25 Jan - 0:16

It will be fudged at IRFU level if needed.

Leinster want to keep Roux and sign someone like Bekker too. Has Muller's contract extension been approved by the IRFU yet?

Roux would be a project if he is kept/stays. Not sure that makes any difference though.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned? Empty Re: One-NIQ-per-position rule abandoned?

Post by profitius Fri 25 Jan - 1:34

I don't think its been abandoned. Tighthead is the only position where they might relax the rules because theres a shortage of them around.

I don't understand why Leinster have such a problem with second rows. They've the most underage rugby players and this generation is taller than their parents so whats going on there?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 25 Jan - 1:47

Its wasn't due to come in to next season, so either the IRFU are giving leeway to signings and extensions granted before then, but will be very strict after the date, remains to be seen.

The provinces weren't happy about the not being able to offer extensions, and one per position rules, I think the most likely is the IRFU have lessened it somewhat but noones come out to say so, provinces and IRFU kept it quiet so it appears no one won, or lost, or was in the wrong etc.

I'd say it will be like it was before, all NIQ players coming in, or having thier contracts extended will have to be approved by the IRFU board, but the IRFU will be alot stricter on it now than in years past. they will be looking at whos developing as much as whos playing now, and a province would have to make thier case.

Remember when Ulster were not allowed a NIQ outhalf, to develop more IQ flyhaves, I expect to see this crop up more often in future, and only NIQ that have been outstanding both on and off the pitch for the province will be granted extensions.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Fri 25 Jan - 2:29

profitius wrote:I don't think its been abandoned. Tighthead is the only position where they might relax the rules because theres a shortage of them around.

I don't understand why Leinster have such a problem with second rows. They've the most underage rugby players and this generation is taller than their parents so whats going on there?

The lack of gametime for emerging Irish tightheads was precisely the reason this rule was brought in. There are plenty of Irish tightheads in the squads but they are just not up to the standard required. The only way they will get up to the required standard (if ever) is with regular top class game time. I think they will stick to their guns and over the next few seasons this will be enforced

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 25 Jan - 2:52

Hopefully with connacht getting better we can have a minimum of two irish quailified per postion starting each week. I wonder if connacht will get clipped in the number of NIQ they can have.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 25 Jan - 3:57

the plan is to allow Connacht more NIQ players but to slowly bring them into line with the other Provinces. The IRFU see it as to catch up to that level they will need more NIQ players and reduce numbers over time, while hopefully revenue and crowds etc increase. They have a plan for the 3 provinces and a seperate one for Connacht, which I think is sensible.

Connacht's acamady is producing some good players at present, the ground works seam to be going well, and this will biuld up to the senior team. IMO Connacht have got a good future, OK they may not ever be H-cup champions, but they are capable of getting to Glasgows level, and being in the playoff mix in the future.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 25 Jan - 4:03

they bring through some backs like Henshaw they will be pushing. As others have stated they possibly/probably have the best IQ center partnership of the four teams

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 25 Jan - 6:28

I thought it was always going to be from 2014 onwards.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 25 Jan - 8:24

People who know the teams better then me would they be able to put up the starting person for each postion in each provience. I reckon other then tight hed we must have nearly 3 players per position that are IQ anyway.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 25 Jan - 8:25

Notch wrote:I thought it was always going to be from 2014 onwards.
no deffo 2013/14 season.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 25 Jan - 8:32

Brendan wrote:People who know the teams better then me would they be able to put up the starting person for each postion in each provience. I reckon other then tight hed we must have nearly 3 players per position that are IQ anyway.

There you go Brendan. Leinster have 3 + 1. Munster 4 + 1. Ulster 4 + 1.

1 Van Der Merwe, Du Preez
3 Botha, Afoa
4 Muller
5 Roux (Project)
7 Stander (Project)
8 Williams
9 Pienaar
11 Isa
12 Goodman
13 Laulala
14 Howlett
15 Payne (Project)

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 25 Jan - 8:43

Can you really pass Isa off as 11? Presumably we (Ulster) were allowed Payne because it was before these rules came in, so I'd say we (the island) have two NIQ 15s just now.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 25 Jan - 8:49

with that list Jenifer Mcladyboy some of those wouldn't be first choice so it doesn't look to bad

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Fri 25 Jan - 8:50

I thought HVDM was off to France? And Nacewa has played more on the wing this season than at full back so I'd say it's fair to put him at 11.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 25 Jan - 8:54

Don Alfonso wrote:Can you really pass Isa off as 11? Presumably we (Ulster) were allowed Payne because it was before these rules came in, so I'd say we (the island) have two NIQ 15s just now.
Of course we can. That's where he plays, unless European player of the year Rob Kearney is injured.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 25 Jan - 8:57

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I thought HVDM was off to France? And Nacewa has played more on the wing this season than at full back so I'd say it's fair to put him at 11.

Stade are after Heinke, Tbf he will probably go. But there is a chance he won't. I'd say if we go for someone like Bekker we will have to accept that trade off.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Fri 25 Jan - 9:15

Brendan wrote:with that list Jenifer Mcladyboy some of those wouldn't be first choice so it doesn't look to bad

Isa is the only one who would start in a 1st 15 for us. Most of the rest would be up there. Killer has passed Du Preez only recently. Stander would probably start at 7 if fit. The rest are all starters.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Fri 25 Jan - 10:05

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I thought HVDM was off to France? And Nacewa has played more on the wing this season than at full back so I'd say it's fair to put him at 11.

Stade are after Heinke, Tbf he will probably go. But there is a chance he won't. I'd say if we go for someone like Bekker we will have to accept that trade off.

We are fighting to keep Heinke, I think he wants to stay but if we are only offering another one year contract than he will definately go. Stade aren't the team they were and have been poor again this season.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 25 Jan - 20:03

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:It will be fudged at IRFU level if needed.

Leinster want to keep Roux and sign someone like Bekker too. Has Muller's contract extension been approved by the IRFU yet?

Roux would be a project if he is kept/stays. Not sure that makes any difference though.

Muller has signed has he not?

Where these changes to the NIE policy just proposals anyways? Seems to me they've gone out the window anyways.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 25 Jan - 21:18

Muller hasn't signed. It was mentioned that we were sorted with the last block the IRFU ratifying the deal but nothing has been heard since. In truth I think muller would take a 1 year extension anyway. Most of these things are announced during the 6N anyway

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri 25 Jan - 21:48

I'm sure it was for next season they were to come it.

however at the time they were annonced the Provinces weren't happy and it was seen as the IRFU just taking a strong hand to the Provinces, nothing has been mentioned since.

The way I see it, the IRFU said about the one per postition, and can only play in that position, and no extensions, so that they could work with the Provinces to bring it back to what it should have been, IRFU have to santion every NIQ contract (new or extension), and will be a lot stricter than they previously have been, and the provinces can either tow the line, or they will bring these new rules in.

It was just some sabre rattling, before they tighten up on NIQ, so Provinces can't really have any complaints now if IRFU don't sanction a player, as the IRFU are not being as strick as they could be.

Think provinces will have to make very good cases now for NIQ players, and contract extensions, involing what they add to first team, the province acamady, how much gametime the IQ player on the bench is getting still, how thier development is coming on etc etc,

Only if the IRFU are satisifed its a player that will overall benefit the national team, and IQ players, in the long run will they rubber stamp it.

(i.e a contract extension for Muller will keep Stevenson out, but last season Stevenson still played 13 +8 as sub Pro 12 games, [IRFU will see they still get plenty of games for development] Muller assisted in a forwards coaching role, [IRFU see he does more than just turns up and plays for the province] Captain of the Province, and still a great player [IRFU will see he isn't over the hill, and plays an important role on the pitch]

Hopefully the IRFU would be satisified that a contract extension for Muller adds a lot more to the Province, without having a detrimental effect on the IQ player he keeps out of the team, and possibly a positive effect on them.

An IQ player that doesn't meet this critiea (where then may have a detrimental effect on a players development, ie IQ player below them does not get enough gametime, or its an important position and they need all the games they can get, and doesn't assist around the province) then the IRFU would not allow him to sign for the province.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down