The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TUF 17

+3
compelling and rich
nasisillmatic
westisbest
7 posters

Go down

TUF 17 Empty TUF 17

Post by westisbest Fri 25 Jan 2013, 8:56 am

Anyone watch it the other night?

First time ever friends and family are able to watch the prelim fights.
Also they picked the teams straight after.

Some of the fights were pretty good.

Looking forward to seeing Jones & Sonnen as coaches.

Hope it will be better than last season, which I thought was pretty poor.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

TUF 17 Empty Re: TUF 17

Post by nasisillmatic Wed 30 Jan 2013, 12:06 pm

I watched the first episode last night, enjoyed it as Jones is probably my favourite fighter. Thought it was strange that he had a team mate in the competition, never seen that before.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:33 pm

ive been watching them, good to see two of the elite fighters back being coaches. nelson, carwin, george s, pearson, miller and bisping havent been exactly that (bisping prob the best of them lot)

middleweight and light heavy are my favourite weights, so hoping there will be better fights in this series as these weights usually have that great balance of technique, knock out power and cardio

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 05 Feb 2013, 12:39 pm

In tonight/early mornings episode, Dana White says its one of the best knockouts he's ever seen, so will look forward to watching that tomorrow night.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 05 Feb 2013, 1:21 pm

yeah ive been looking forward to it, fighting is one of the better looking prospects in the show tonight aswell, is it hall? he certainly looked good in his fight pre house

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:22 pm

That was a nasty ko. The whole gym just went silent.

Here it is if anyone hasn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_nkOyu201M

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:34 pm

Uriah is one classy guy, as soon as he realized Adam might have been seriously hurt he stopped celebrating and his whole demeanour changed, even in the dressing room with his own team mates. That kick was vicious, the sound the impact made as his heel connected with Adam's eye socket was sickening. I'm sure that did concussive damage as Adam had no recollection and his breathing was unnatural as he lay on the canvas. Scary.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 06 Feb 2013, 7:52 pm

Yeah, fair play to Uriah. Like he said, its the fight business and these things happen.

Not sue if i'm a fan of the wildcard though.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:23 pm

yeah great knockout, wish they hadnt built it up and told you it was coming though. kind of spoils that shock of seeing it. it wasnt as exicting because you knew it was coming.

uriah looks good so far, be intresting to see how he does against a decent wrestler

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:16 am

compelling and rich wrote:yeah great knockout, wish they hadnt built it up and told you it was coming though. kind of spoils that shock of seeing it. it wasnt as exicting because you knew it was coming. uriah looks good so far, be intresting to see how he does against a decent wrestler

True.

Wasnt quite the same watching it, when you knew what was coming.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 08 Feb 2013, 9:31 am

That was a nasty kick. The fight next week looks like it gets heated.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Feb 2013, 7:09 pm

Anybody still following? I've watched the last 3 and so far enjoyed it. Both coaches are coming across well and seem to be good at putting confidence in their fighters.

This weeks fight was not that great, as usual with a wrestler it showed everything that is bad about wrestlers in MMA. Both Sonnen & Dana made fair comments about the loser he just didn't get started or press his advantage when it came and deserved to lose, I doubt he'll be considered for the wild card.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

Yeah, watched it.

Glad jones guy won, just so Sonnens team dont pick up a strong lead, i prefer it to be even.

Although the guy who did win, colin, was it?
Didnt really like him, with the finger up to kevin in the weigh in.

Then when he did win jumping on the tread mill.

Next fight, bubba gets his wish to fight, he seems a bit of a clown.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:54 pm

I think he made an idiot of himself with the finger, nobody seemed to like it but Kevin took it well and then jumping on the treadmill, really?

I must say at the moment I'm edging towards team Sonnen, he's a guy whose grown on me since I first came across him, bit of a guilty pleasure like Bisping, he's pretty straight forward & honest and i like the way he simplifys things. Also I feel there's a little a little bit of attitude in Jones team but its early days so we will see.

I know what you mean about it being even, I think the last series there was some dubious judging & matching later on to keep it even even though its not needed. Missed the first episode so I don't know anything about any of the fighters who've not fought yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:28 pm

Dunno how most of you are watching this, I watch it next day on MMACORE, but I hear that in the UK you get it Friday night? So as not to spoil it for you if you see that I've commented on it avoid the thread although I'll try not to spoil it for you.

Anyway last night was another good episode with a good fight, something the last series didn't have. Both fighters were up for it & went for it. Again we had one of those picks that hinted at a one sided fight which again it wasn't. I think after the last series when Dana read them the riot act about under performing & then axed them all from the finale has had a positive effect so far this series, let's hope it remains that way.

I dunno if its just me but there seems to be less screening of in house antics, stupidity & bad attitudes and more focus on training, coaches input & the fight itself. Again both coaches came across well, especially Sonnen who brought up the mental aspect of fighting & an interesting little quote & an interesting guest.

As i said in my last post with regards to Team Jones having a little attitude, Jones himself picked up on he thought to many of his team were trying to call the shots a little, trying to dictate proceedings.

Seems a good match up next week but as i said before i missed the first episode so I know nothing of the guys, so far they've been quiet.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 20 Feb 2013, 8:55 pm

Watch it on ESPN. On wednesday morning 2am.
Repeated wednesday night 10pm.

Recording this mornings episode, just watched it.

Good episode, delighted by the result.

Funny to see Mickey Rourke making an appearance.

Think Sonnen's speaches are very good, he has some good points. A very good coach imo.

Yeah, not as much in the house as in previos series.
Enjoying it more than I thought I would.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:08 pm

im the same as westisbest, record the 2am show on espn and watch it the next day.

this series has been miles better already, both coaches coming across very well. wasnt really a great fan of sonnen but he's coming across very well so far.

i was glad bubba lost, the way he was calling people out all the time then matched himself with one of the big underdogs yet still lost was nice.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:25 am

There was a couple of times I thought he was going to catch Kelvin.

Bubba didnt inpress me really, hope he doesnt get the wild card, still a few fights to go.

Although I said I prefer it to be close in the first round, hope Josh is it,(team Jones) gets beaten. Mainly cos he just seems a tool aswell.

Whats it now 3-1 team Sonnen, 4-1?

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 22 Feb 2013, 6:21 pm

id bet my house on bubba getting a wildcard slot

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:49 pm

I've not been following the series, how does Jones come across as a coach? If his team is losing the series is this a reflection of his skill as a coach or have his fighters just not cut the mustard?

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Feb 2013, 10:48 pm

Jones comes across as a decent coach but we seem to be getting more coverage of Sonnen who himself is turning out to be a good coach. You can't blame the coaches for their fighters losing really as its not them doing the fighting although maybe Jones did make a bad pick. Two of the losers in my opinion underestimated their opponents & then failed to deliver.

its been interesting to hear fighters saying they want to fight the best, have the hardest fights but its also been said not to make potential semi & final fights first round fights.

So far a good series check it out if you can, been some good fights.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

An interesting episode this week with Uriah upsetting a few people on both sides. 1st he said he wanted to fight his team mate the English guy, I forget his name, then starts hanging out with team Jones & ends up referring to a guys girlfriend as a bitch indirectly although he did realize he'd said the wrong thing on both accounts.

The fight itself brought a ko win for team Jones but imo opinion wasn't that great a fight, Tor just didn't really get going & then dropped his hands & Josh landed a couple of big shots and it was game over.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:09 pm

Uriah thinks hes the main man.

Think Luke is the english guy.
Fight was pretty poor.

Have to say think Sonnen is a great coach, the way he speaks to them, showing them alot of respect.
One of the best imo.

Funny when he challenged Jones to the bowling and then won.

Next weeks show they go to Hooters.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:15 pm

westisbest wrote:Uriah thinks hes the main man.

Think Luke is the english guy.
Fight was pretty poor.

Have to say think Sonnen is a great coach, the way he speaks to them, showing them alot of respect.
One of the best imo.

Funny when he challenged Jones to the bowling and then won.

Jones didn't seem to see the funny side!

Next weeks show they go to Hooters.

That's gotta be Sonnens idea surely!

I agree Sonnen is doing a good job & still has a laugh, 'The Bad Guys'

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 07 Mar 2013, 9:34 am

Yeah Sonnen is one of the best coaches I've seen on TUF, he seems to really care about everyone, not just his team.

I thought he would show Jones no respect and try to rile him up but he's just concentrated on his coaching.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 07 Mar 2013, 12:49 pm

Jones on the other hand isnt as impressive.

He, didnt like it when Sonnen came in at the end and gave him the shirt.
Good timing by Sonnen.

Uriah not having his picture taken in Hooters with all the other fighters, sums the guy up.

There are certainly a few guys who want to fight him next.
The fight was pretty good I thought.
Another win for the bad guys.

Last fight, would like to see the kiwi win, just to bring the numbers on jones team up. Also seems like a good guy.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 07 Mar 2013, 2:14 pm

I don't think Jones is a bad coach, I think we get to see a bit more from team Sonnen, Sonnen has the right personality for tv where as Jones needs to lighten up bit. Sonnen also brings the mental side up more, something which is important.

Yes Urijah is doing himself no favors with either team, at the beginning he seemed ok but not now. I think life in the house & the cameras is getting to him a bit and could be his undoing.

Yes the fight itself was good, 1st round was hard to score, Jimmy (?) got 3 takedowns but took a hammering fromClint for the rest. I was surprised how quickly Clint tapped but then I'm not being choked & he was in a bad position.

Not bothered about numbers evening out, even though they are in teams its man against man, when it starts getting evened up it seems a little contrived & anyway Dana normally 'sorts' out the semis with the final in mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

To be honest I was half asleep watching this episode.

Caught the coaches challenge, Sonnen going "another win for the bad guys" was amusing.

From what I did see of the fight it was ok.
Kiwi guy winning.

Dana let the coaches pick the wild card spots.
Sonnen chose Kevin from his team.
Jones chose Bubba.

Have to say, hope Kevin wins.
Not a fan of Bubba.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

I gotta say I like Sonnens 'the bad guys' line, adds a little lightheartedness to the show which in previous series has had to much machismo at times.

It was quite a good fight although not totally my thing, I found it a little scappy at times, but the kiwi guy did what was needed to nullify Zak.

With regards to the wild card picks I was not that surprised, Kevin was one of the favored picks for team Sonnen & was expected to do well but for me he underperformed in a fight he really fancied his chances. Same with Bubba, trains out of the same camp as Jones, was the most experienced but just didn't produce against an opponent who was expected to lose. I think I would have picked Clint, their no 1 pick, or the guy that got ko'd by Urijah who went for it. On team Sonnen I don't remember who fought well in losing.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 3:47 pm

So Bubba beat Kevin, with Kevin not coming out for the 3rd round.

Bubba doesnt impress me as much as he would have people believe.
Not a fan of Uriah, but hope he beats Bubba.

Josh vs Jimmy.
Colin vs KelvinLuke vs Kiwi(Dylan)?

Only fight that any of the fighters wanted was Josh vs Jimmy.

Love the way Dana says we'll take the fighters thoughts into consideration, but hardly ever gives them the fights they want.

Bold is who I think will win.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Mar 2013, 5:51 pm

westisbest wrote:So Bubba beat Kevin, with Kevin not coming out for the 3rd round.

Bubba doesnt impress me as much as he would have people believe.
Not a fan of Uriah, but hope he beats Bubba.

Josh vs Jimmy.
Colin vs KelvinLuke vs Kiwi(Dylan)?

Only fight that any of the fighters wanted was Josh vs Jimmy.

Love the way Dana says we'll take the fighters thoughts into consideration, but hardly ever gives them the fights they want.

Bold is who I think will win.

I think Dana wants to make the finale the fight of the series & preferably a guy from each team, Dana's finale Urijah vs Josh. He doesn't want less talented or less exciting guys winning the series, also, and I've said this countless times, looks & image play a part with Dana & the UFC, he wants poster boys.

The fight itself was disappointing, Bubba unable to keep it standing & execute his game and Kevin not taking his chances. For me its the 2nd time neither delivered although I think Bubba wanted it more. Still think they were the wrong choices for the Wildcard but I understand Jones's reasons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:03 pm

Lasts weeks episodes had two good fights with Luke vs Dylan possibly the best of the series. A pretty even fight going into the 3rd but Luke seemed to have gassed and Dylan was able to land at will before koíng him. Kelvin scored a quick ko of Colin who most seemed to favour beforehand.

Bubba seems to be really worried about fighting Urijah, the ko of his team mate is still very clear in his mind and he seems not to want this fight, not a good mindset to go into a fight with. Now this was only a comment posted on mma core following the episode but it mentions at the end Bubba talking with Jones about not being happy with this fight, saying he didn't ask for it and then focusing on Clint on the treadmill as if maybe Bubba pulls out & Clint steps in? Clint was my choice for the wildcard from team Jones, he put a lot more into his losing fight than Bubba.

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:48 pm

I hope bubba does fight and gets knocked out to thepoint he sleeps for a week.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:09 pm

He's made a fool of himself really, calling out fighters from day one, criticising the opponent he wanted for taking an easy fight then doing exactly the same & then losing and now moaning that he's got to fight Urijah, a fighter he never asked to fight!

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 02 Apr 2013, 7:14 pm

bubba and that other guy (white with dark hair) have been trying to cherry pick their way through since day one, the look on bubbas face when he found out it was hall he was fighting next was priceless. not even been impressed with his fighting despite the show keep on building him up. he was a massive favorite in the first fight and lost and next fight it was a round a piece before king quit on him.

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm

Josh did well in his fight.

Good win making jimmy tap due to strikes.

Uriah, wow. Bubba was out.
Messed up his eye quite badly.
Fair play to Bubba though, laughing when he sat up.

In the semi finals, I actually agree with Dana, that Uriah v Josh would make the better final.

Sadly for Dylan, I think he will go the same way as Adam & Bubba.
I can actually see Kelvin knocking Josh out.
However I think Josh will submit Kelvin.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 04 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

I think Dylan will fair better than Adam & Bubba. He seems to relishing being last pick and is full of confidence.

I can see Uriah winning, but don't think it will be as easy for him.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 2:25 pm

So the first fight was Josh v Kelvin.

Didnt think it was a brilliant fight.
Kelvin taking him down, bit of g&p, before submitting Josh.

Second fight, Uriah looked very good once again. Picking Dylan off.
Surprised it went to a second round. Dylan taking Uriah down, only to be beat on when he had top position. Uriah did well to go from bottom to top, then just landing heavy punches, till the ref stopped the fight.

All Sonnen final then. Jones hated that,(is it just me, or does he seem boring to anyone else)?
I think it will be a tough final to call. They'll both go out guns blazing. Could well end up one person getting a brutal knock out.

Have to agree with Dana, that Uriah is probably the best fighter they have ever had on any season.

All in all the season was ok. 6/10 for me.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 11 Apr 2013, 4:32 pm

ive enjoyed this season more than any for quite a while, good fights with great knock outs. good coaches (perhaps lacking a bit of niggle between them) but been very impressed with sonnen. bit of an under dog getting through to final. annoying characters you want to see knocked out (hall delivered by smashing bubba)

compared to the last season this is miles better

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:08 pm

Last season was poor.

My favourites are 5, 7, 8, 14, 15.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:39 pm

i cant remember of the top of my head, had to have a look

mine are 1, 5, (wiki loses the numbers after this) nog v mir, hendo v bisping, bisping v miller.

could be slighty different as i havent looked into them properly. these i remember at least from good coach mix and at least a few good fights and winners

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 11 Apr 2013, 10:53 pm

nog v mir was 8.
hendo v bisping was 9
bisping v miller wasn14.

all good.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 12 Apr 2013, 11:26 am

Uriah Hall is a MONSTER. He just toyed with Dylan in the semi. His jab is brutally fast and the inside low/ head kick combo he threw in the 1st round had me out my chair whooping. Future UFC champion. Scary, scary guy with the skill set to go with the aggression. Massive at the weight too.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri 12 Apr 2013, 5:58 pm

uriah has certainly been impressive, but lets not jump the gun with best ever tuf contestant type comments until he's gone on and won it. wont mean much if he doesn't win the final, plenty written kelvin so far and hes made it this far. still have hall has huge favorite but there's no gimmes in mma

would like to see how hall would do against a great wrestler before saying he's a future champ, we've only really seen his stand up so far and dylan (who's wrestling was average at best) just lay on top in the third

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Mon 15 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

Humble pie time...

Very bizarre outcome...very

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 16 Apr 2013, 8:30 am

cant say i didn't warn him!! the one thing that might stop hall reaching his full potential that we saw slightly in the show is that he's perhaps not mentally tough enough to be truly great, very tentative in the 1st round which was what tipped it in the end

fair credit to kelvin though, worthy winner. he reminds me of a minature version of cain

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 16 Apr 2013, 11:42 am

Agreed that the 1st round tipped it for Kelvin. It was probably a 10-8 round as he was do dominant. 2nd round to Uriah, 3rd could have went either way but the judges were probably swayed by the 1st. Uriah looked to have stage fright.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 16 Apr 2013, 2:46 pm

I thought Uriah won the fight. You can see that there's more to come from him but whoever mentioned stage fright is correct. He will come back and probably get a shot at the belt before Kelvin.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Tue 16 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

Kelvin planning on dropping to WW apparently. He certainly looked fleshy at 185

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: