The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The underrated film thread

+3
Galted
Mr Bounce
Morgannwg
7 posters

Go down

The underrated film thread Empty The underrated film thread

Post by Morgannwg Tue 29 Jan 2013, 7:30 pm

Aplologies if this has been done before, I didn't see it.

Think of a movie you enjoyed that doesn't seem to get recognition from critics or amongst the fans on V2.

I'll start with my pick, a film from my generation made for my generation, and to this day still an enojyable watch. The Fast and the Furious (2001). I guess at the time cars were becoming the craze. So here comes a director who puts modified cars and racing into a thriller, and it all came together perfectly in my opinion. If you think 'Point Break' and compare, both movies are quite similar. Although that film didn't really go anywhere or end particulary well.

The chase right at the end is also underrated. It is never mentioned in the same breath as McQueen in 'Bullit' despite seeing shades of that (along with Mad Max) in this scene. The end race between Walker and Diesel character is also good. It was two generations of cars and two different people against each other, had that been done before? Had that particular drag race scene been done before? It was executed exceptionally well.

For me, each of the follow-ups have been horrendous. They were onto something when they brought back Walker, Diesel, Rodriguez, Brewster, etc; but the fourth instalment was such a dumbass plot. Fast 5 was a big improvement and even better. Getting Dwayne 'the Rock' Johnson on board was the best thing they could have done. I look forward to the sixth instalment.

Agree with my choice? And please put forth your own.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

The underrated film thread Empty Re: The underrated film thread

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:11 am

Continuing with the car thing I'll offer up 2: Gumball Rally & American Graffiti.

Gumball did the coast to coast thing way before Cannonball and had such fantastic cars in it, a bit of fun humour and very possibly the greatest soundtrack of all - A V12 Ferrari 365 GTS & a V8 AC Cobra 427 at full chat through the early morning streets of New York. Classic line after seeing the Ferrari fly past at 80+mph, cop turns to his partner & says: "It's gonna be a nice day!"

Graffiti is an all time classic. George Lucas' 2nd film depicts the last night of several friends before some go away to college in 1962. It features hot cars, girls and an array of superb performances from Ron Howard, Cindy Williams, Charles Martin Smith, Paul Le Mat, Richard Dreyfuss and a very young Harrison Ford. It's very well-observed and has some great moments in it. If you haven't seen it, please do.

And an honourable mention must be given to "Go". This drugs-based dark comedy is seen from 3 different points of view and is ridiculous, brutally funny and has some fantastic performances, especially from Sarah Polley & Timothy Olyphant. It is great fun.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 30 Jan 2013, 8:59 am

River's Edge (1986) - one of my top 5, loosely based on a true story about a group of kids who aren't particularly bothered when one of their mates murders his girlfriend. Not sure why it didn't receive acclaim, the despairing story and ominous soundtrack are (I do tend to overuse the word) riveting.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:42 am

American Graffiti is a great movie. Ron Howard, George Lucas, Harrison Ford... What more could you want.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 30 Jan 2013, 10:56 am

I'm liking the suggestions for American Graffiti and Rivers Edge.

I think "Manhunter" is often underrated. Basically the prequel to Silence of the Lambs and was later remade as "The Red Dragon" (the name of the book). Certainly far better than the remake and I much prefer it to Silence of the Lambs (Brian Cox a far more menacing Hannibal Lecter than a hammy Anthony Hopkins).

"The Thin Red Line" is another film that it underrated. Suffered by coming out around the same time as Saving Private Ryan but was an excellent adaptation of a great book. Elias Koteas is brilliant in it - as is Nick Nolte.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Wed 30 Jan 2013, 12:18 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of titles I could suggest if I gave it some thought, but the 2 which immediately spring to mind are both slightly peculiar screwball rom-coms, which represented departures for the respected directors in question.

* A Life Less Ordinary - dir Danny Boyle, starring Ewan Macgregor, Cameron Diaz, Holly Hunter, Delroy Lindo, Stanley Tucci... Don't understand why so hated and vilified.
* Intolerable Cruelty - written/dir Coen brothers, starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones, who (in Clooney's own words on a talk show whilst trying not to laugh) plays a devious woman who marries old guys for their money. General consensus seems to be "meh", but I think it's fantastic.

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Wed 30 Jan 2013, 12:46 pm

Skydriver wrote:I'm sure there are plenty of titles I could suggest if I gave it some thought, but the 2 which immediately spring to mind are both slightly peculiar screwball rom-coms, which represented departures for the respected directors in question.

* A Life Less Ordinary - dir Danny Boyle, starring Ewan Macgregor, Cameron Diaz, Holly Hunter, Delroy Lindo, Stanley Tucci... Don't understand why so hated and vilified.
* Intolerable Cruelty - written/dir Coen brothers, starring George Clooney and Catherine Zeta-Jones, who (in Clooney's own words on a talk show whilst trying not to laugh) plays a devious woman who marries old guys for their money. General consensus seems to be "meh", but I think it's fantastic.

Intolerable Cruelty would have been better received had it not been a Coen brothers film. It's not a bad effort but I find it a bit "meh" compared to most of their work.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:40 pm

Intolerable Cruelty was a bit much to follow for me, just how many affairs can you have. Clooney got on my nerves a bit too.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 31 Jan 2013, 10:50 pm

Stand By Me
The Babe (Babe Ruth not the blydi piglet)
Grand Slam
Tombstone
Twin Town
Carry On Cowboy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Tue 05 Feb 2013, 5:31 pm

Twin Town is hilarious, good shout.

two_tone

Back to top Go down