The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dear Irish Fan

+26
Artful_Dodger
Hood83
Geordie
asoreleftshoulder
captain carrantuohil
MunsterMac
tatterd
SneakySideStep
doctor_grey
Mickado
Standulstermen
bluestonevedder
Irishhoneymonster
fa0019
RugbyFan182
Brian Moores Twin
Feckless Rogue
lostinwales
Brendan
SecretFly
mr_stonelea
rodders
Jenifer McLadyboy
thebluesmancometh
Kingshu
LondonTiger
30 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dear Irish Fan Empty Dear Irish Fan

Post by LondonTiger Mon 04 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm

Some questions:

1) We saw two Irelands on Saturday. For 44 minutes they were dynamic in attack, passed slickly and defended aggressively. Then at a switch they seemed to turn off, Wales came back at them and Ireland kicked the ball away constantly, were forced into tackling on the back foot and looked rather tentative. Which is the real Ireland under Kidney?

2) You will be installed as favourites to beat England on Sunday. Should you win, the tournament opens up quite nicely and a Grand slam becomes a tangible goal. Surely a GS would see Kidney safe in his job till RWC2015. How does this make you feel?

3) How are the injuries to D'Arcy and Earls? Should they be unfit who would be the replacements?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Dear Irish Fan Empty Re: Dear Irish Fan

Post by Kingshu Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:15 pm

Think D'arcy and Earls will be passed fit, McSharry for Connacht, would be in with a shout. He's been playing really well, but Connacht players do go unnoticed. Fergus McFadden would be the more likely to start though.

Think Ireland at 30-3 up felt the game was in the bag, and turned off mentally, if it had been a closer score then it would have been a different 2nd half.

DK while I wished him sacked, if he does pick the form players and Ireland playing at their potentional he should be fine, its just so far he hasn't really had Ireland playing at thier best consist enough.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

Think Ireland at 30-3 up felt the game was in the bag, and turned off mentally, if it had been a closer score then it would have been a different 2nd half.

Ye Ireland definately just didn't want to record their record win over Wales, they thought job done lets move on to England!

Get real, Ireland had to work twice as hard in the 2nd half to stay ahead, and it was certainly squeeky bum time, unbelievably!!!

The problem Ireland have is that first half Wales offered nothing at all, and Ireland couldn't believe their dominance, once Wales started to put together a few decent phases Ireland wilted under a small amount of pressure.

Without sounding rude to Irish fans I still think the game is in Englands hands, gain parity up front, parity at the set piece and Ireland won't get a look in, start like Wales and Ireland stand a chance.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:29 pm

Darce should make it. Earls is going for a scan so dunno. We can afford to lose Earls more with Fitzgerald and McFadden behind him. Mcsharry is young and untested at this level, so Darce would be a big loss.

Mike Ross needs to be fighting fit for us to have the remotest chance. There is already talk of needing 3 props on the bench if he is not. (not by anyone sensible in fairness)

How do I feel about DK staying? Bad, real bad. His time has come. I would rather a GS and have him for 2 more years than lose the remaining games and he goes, but I still want him gone at this stage.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:34 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Without sounding rude to Irish fans I still think the game is in Englands hands, gain parity up front, parity at the set piece and Ireland won't get a look in, start like Wales and Ireland stand a chance.
I agree. I don't know how we can be favourites.

England look really good after their fab win v the ABs (something we have never done in 108 years of trying) Lancaster looks like he has them ticking over really well. Strikes the right balance in the squad, and has built it himself in a short time.

Having said that I couldn't believe that 65% of the posters had us to beat Wales either.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:34 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
The problem Ireland have is that first half Wales offered nothing at all, and Ireland couldn't believe their dominance, once Wales started to put together a few decent phases Ireland wilted under a small amount of pressure.

Fair comments.

In terms of the England game, I feel we are superior behind the scrum so set piece parity should be enough to give us the advantage.

I fear England will be coming to smash us up front and if our pack can't meet that challenge then we could be in for a long afternoon.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:38 pm

Disagree rodders, I think the ball carrying options, and especially front row are a match for England, and if DK has the sack play the exact same pack, monstrous carrying with no out and out 7, show confidence and breathe it into the boys after the first half v Wales!!!

It's the backline thats in trouble, BOD was given an armchair ride v Wales but he will be more than tested against England, and whoever partners him in the centre will have to be up there defencively to cope from the off!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mr_stonelea Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:42 pm

There's some excellent Lions battles ahead in the Ire-Eng match.

Sexton vs Farrell
Murray vs Youngs/Care
Best vs Hartley/Youngs

and most mouth watering of all

BOD vs Tuilagi (assuming Manu's fitness)

mr_stonelea

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Feb 2013, 2:44 pm

I think if Earls comes into midfield then that will weaken us defensively.

I do think that the backline we started with against Wales is better than England's.... maybe not as physical but more balanced and creative.

Its Englands scrum, maul and ball carriers that I'm concerned about. Their pack is huge compared to ours.

We dealt with Wales tight 5 better than I expected but they just seemed disinterested for 50mins so there are still question marks there.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 04 Feb 2013, 3:04 pm

Couldn't disagree more, I see your points but BOD and Darcy / Earls scare noone, Zebo and Gilroy are clearly talented but very inexperienced.

If Tuilagi makes the game Ireland might be in huge trouble in the wider channels, but then the choke hold tackle works well and with England favouring a number of taller and heavier options it might be a key factor.

England will definately be more afraid of the carrying of Healy, POM, Heaslip, SOB, and the nastiness of Best and co than Ireland should be of Englands options.

For the first time in ages (and I said this about the depleted welsh pack too) Ireland have the edge up front, if Kidney has the sack he just sticks with the same pack and says 1 down lets do exacly the same agian!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Couldn't disagree more, I see your points but BOD and Darcy / Earls scare noone, Zebo and Gilroy are clearly talented but very inexperienced.

Fair enough Smile I'm not going to get into a player for player discussion about Englands backline but I'm happy with our lot out wide.

Farrell's place kicking is a serious threat and Tuilagi is the obvious dangerman but for me the power of Englands tight 5 and their carrying ability is the biggest threat to us.

Thats not to dismiss their backs but I'm confident of our backlines ability to deal with theirs and cause them problems in return.....if we can stop them getting go forward through their pack.

In terms of BOD...well he scared Davies enough with his defence to throw the ball into touch twice and attracted 3 Welsh defenders en route to Zebos try Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 04 Feb 2013, 3:23 pm

Cuthbert doesn't count as a defender OK

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Cuthbert doesn't count as a defender OK

Laugh
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:

Get real, Ireland had to work twice as hard in the 2nd half to stay ahead, and it was certainly squeeky bum time, unbelievably!!!

Certainly was squeaky bum time... trying to keep a score they should have embellished, with 14 men for a good stretch of the half Wink

They had to work twice as hard? Most certainly again correct. And the work, such as it was - and not to my liking - paid off. 30 points playing less rugby than the Welsh overall, and being beaten in every favourable stat by all accounts, away from home to the 6N champions..............whatever it says bluesman, it certainly says something about inherent ability. Yes though - I concede, badly coached - like Wales Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:36 pm

I think Ireland for the first and last five mins of the second half was the real ireland.

I we do forget that Ireland went up the field in the first few mins of the second half and scored a try. they then played tag rugby for 30 mins while getting to players binned. They then when Wales were close kicked to the welsh 22 and kept them there till wales kicked it away.

Also England did look good but everytime scotland made breaks england looked poor. It was scotlands kicking back that got them. When they ran they walked through the defense at time and knocked people over for fun.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:40 pm

Brendan wrote:.....
Also England did look good but everytime scotland made breaks england looked poor. It was scotlands kicking back that got them. When they ran they walked through the defense at time and knocked people over for fun.

Its a big 'when Scotland made breaks'

When they did get the space the Scots did look good. When they didnt they were back to the Scotland of last year and spent half the game in the England 22 without scoring.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 04 Feb 2013, 6:45 pm

I think that scotland made at least five good breaks were they really moved up the pitch. Also when they did chase their kicks England did look a little poor. It was the kicking with one runner that allowed engalnd to fly up the field. Aslo i don't think Ireland will be so poor in the breakdown as Scotland were.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 04 Feb 2013, 7:16 pm

I would have thought England would be favourites next week.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Moores Twin Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:11 pm

Ireland at home have to be favorites mate, plus you just beaten the reigning champs on their own (rubbish/lose/poorly laid) turf.

Brian Moores Twin

Back to top Go down

Post by RugbyFan182 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:15 pm

Ireland at home have to be favorites mate, plus you just beaten the reigning champs on their own (rubbish/lose/poorly laid) turf

Hah thumbsup

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:20 pm

I don't understand this myth on England's supreme tight five.... If corbisiero was back then I think there would be some merit to it but Marler is a totally different player, worse in the tackle and the tight.
The front row of Marler and youngs is not of the same calibre as Healy & best.

Lineout wise England look very strong though with threats all over.

I'd bring back Hartley myself and beef up that pack. His lineout for me is more solid and in Dublin, England will need leaders.

Also heard that Morgan may be injured but Haskell would be well suited to this game.... He's a adrenaline junkie and a big tackler... He always fronts up and England could do with his bite.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Irishhoneymonster Mon 04 Feb 2013, 9:31 pm

The truth actually is that when Ireland get a lead they start to get nervous about playing open Rugby in case they make mistakes and leak tries as a result. We start to think we will be safer if we batten down the hatches. We think to ourselves, 'we have done really well to build this lead now let's not throw it away by playing silly throw it about Rugby'. I swear that's it and nothing more! The exact same thing happened against SA in the autumn and that isn't the only time.If Ireland had kept an attacking mindset then there is simply no way Wales would have had the possession and territory stats they ended up with.

Irishhoneymonster

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:15 am

Irishhoneymonster wrote:The truth actually is that when Ireland get a lead they start to get nervous about playing open Rugby in case they make mistakes and leak tries as a result. We start to think we will be safer if we batten down the hatches. We think to ourselves, 'we have done really well to build this lead now let's not throw it away by playing silly throw it about Rugby'. I swear that's it and nothing more! The exact same thing happened against SA in the autumn and that isn't the only time.If Ireland had kept an attacking mindset then there is simply no way Wales would have had the possession and territory stats they ended up with.

To be fair the only team Ireland know how to keep a lead against is England. If we had the lead agianst England like we did with Wales last week we would of carried on. With England it is more then just beating them.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:35 am

I'd like to see the backrow as:

6. Haskell
7. Robshaw
8. Wood (since SL seems to be assuring us all he can play there well, and covered there for the last 20 or so against Scotland pretty well)

Bench: Vunipola

No Waldrom please!

I also wouldn't mind seeing T.Youngs on the bench with Hartley starting. Substituting on Vunipola and Youngs around the 50-60 minute mark could provide some serious go forward and dynamism in the loose.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:43 am

Yeah I think England's strength is the set piece. I woul be delighted with parity in the set piece. I think we need to target the breakdown with the likes of Best, O'Brien and Healy. I think behind the scrum we have more nous than England although much like Wales, England ar more powerful (not as big as Wales mind you).

I would hav England as healthy favourites

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:45 am

I would like to see Hartley start.

And so would Rory Best I’d say.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:03 am

bluestonevedder wrote:I'd like to see the backrow as:

6. Haskell
7. Robshaw
8. Wood (since SL seems to be assuring us all he can play there well, and covered there for the last 20 or so against Scotland pretty well)

No problem with a back row consisting of Wood, Haskell and Robshaw. But, I'm not sure I get the logic of Haskell at 6 and Wood at 8. Haskell has played semi-frequently at 8, whicle Wood has been on the flank most of his career. I would switch the two.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:08 am

I think all the Irish players know how to win the breakdown. Its just not letting england counter. Scotland got killed because their was not enough people in the rucks so England rolled over them.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:09 am

doctor_grey wrote:
bluestonevedder wrote:I'd like to see the backrow as:

6. Haskell
7. Robshaw

No problem with a back row consisting of Wood, Haskell and Robshaw. But, I'm not sure I get the logic of Haskell at 6 and Wood at 8. Haskell has played semi-frequently at 8, whicle Wood has been on the flank most of his career. I would switch the two.

I'd do the same as you Grey, keeping Wood at 6 and Haskell at 8. But SL's come out saying that Wood at 8 is the most likely scenario.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

Standulstermen wrote:Yeah I think England's strength is the set piece. I woul be delighted with parity in the set piece. I think we need to target the breakdown with the likes of Best, O'Brien and Healy. I think behind the scrum we have more nous than England although much like Wales, England ar more powerful (not as big as Wales mind you).

I would hav England as healthy favourites

I agree with that stand except I think this England side are bigger and mor powerful than the Wales side we played last week. Maybe the wingers are smaller but England have some huge guys in the pack, Tuilagi in midfield and some real dynamism and power on the bench.

England definitely favourites.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:33 am

I was referring to Wales backs on the whole being more powerful not the forwards

Roberts, Davies, North, Cuthbert, Phillips would all be bigger than most of the English back line.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:42 am

I love it here how cordial people are being on here.

"You are favourites", "no... you are favourites"

Slightly refreshing from the usual talk I get at home...

"who is going to win... springboks".

They have half their team injured, they're playing away in NZ and their selection policy is terrible..."Ok, but still springboks.. but by less points".

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:46 am

Yup you are right stand... Barrits a big lad though.

England will take us on in the pack and try and blow us away up front before going wide I think...

It's a different challenge to Wales but it will be even more physical I think...England will be more pumped up too than Wales who were pretty flat for 45 minutes last week.

The pack need to really front up big time. Looking for the likes of Healy, Ryan, McCarthy, POM and O'Brien in particlular to really get stuck in an not take a backward step....if they don't we're fieced...

Ferris and O'Connell would have been ideal for this one....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SneakySideStep Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:10 pm

The defining characteristic of this England side i snot, in my opinion, their set-piece play, but their desire and ability of offload frequently. They are very competant at the set plays, but unlike some England teams of the past, their game is not based solely around this facet of play.

There's no discussion here of experience. England are a very inexperienced team. The English backs who started against Scotland collectively have less caps than one Irishman (and that is not an average player who has got lots of caps for a 2nd rate side but is the great BOD). The Irish forwards also have a great deal of experience/worldly-wise-ness on their side. This can be crucial if things turn out to be tight. Given these facts and home advantage, I have Ireland as clear favourites. However, if England's youngsters are allowed to bring their refreshing brand of play onto the field, then who knows??

SneakySideStep

Back to top Go down

Post by tatterd Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:36 pm

[quote="SneakySideStep"]The defining characteristic of this England side i snot, in my opinion, their set-piece play, but their desire and ability of offload frequently. They are very competant at the set plays, but unlike some England teams of the past, their game is not based solely around this facet of play.

You snot do you? Yuurrrch. Do you need a tissue?

tatterd

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:50 pm

For those hoping DK's reign will finish this summer this may be of interest:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ireland-legend-paul-oconnell-backs-declan-kidney-to-lead-new-wave-into-the-future-29053674.html

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 07 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

MunsterMac wrote:For those hoping DK's reign will finish this summer this may be of interest:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ireland-legend-paul-oconnell-backs-declan-kidney-to-lead-new-wave-into-the-future-29053674.html

Munster lidgind backs Munster man as Ireland coach in the indo shocker! Shocked ...... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

He's lost more matches than he's won. Give him a pay rise.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

I thought that would go down well.... Very Happy

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:27 pm

if we were to win on Sunday we would be in pole position to take a championship.

He would then have a grandslam, a championship and more wins against Oz and SA

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Look, if Kidney wants to stay, it'll be hard to argue if he has won a 2nd 6 Nations Championship in 5 years. That would be an outstanding achievement for an Irish manager. Especially since I think England and Wales are much better now than they were for most of Eddie's reign. But any talk of us winning this is way to premature. We could lose a few yet. How bad were Wales in the 1st half or was that down to us playing so well it made them look bad? How exhausted, uninterested or otherwise were Argentina when we beat them? It's hard to say.

The next few games will tell us where we are under Deccie. The 40% win rate over the last few years hasn't really been good enough and I was one of the earliest to want him gone. Deep down I just don't think he's the best man for the job. Every coach makes mistakes, however we've been losing to many games for to long. Even worse than the results in my view has been the performances. The mindless kicking and lack of ideas in attack. But like I said, two Championships in 5 years and I'd have to shut up.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

There is an argument Brendan, though, that so he damn well should have. At the very least. With this group of players, at a time when the other main nations have been so in and out, one championship represents historically slim pickings. That great side of the 70s could beat the Aussies, the South Africans and draw with NZ and they might well have won the Slam in 72 if Wales had given them the chance.

Man for man, this Irish generation has been superior to the team of McBride, Gibson and Slattery and it hasn't needed to contend regularly with a team of the class of 1970s Wales, either. For the relative under-achievement over which they have both presided, O'Sullivan and Kidney deserve a giant raspberry, not an extended contract.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Thu 07 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

In fairness if we continue playing the type of rugby we did against Arg and the 1st 43 minutes v Wales I wouldn't have a problem with Kidney staying on.

It seems like he has learned from his mistakes and now that he has sorted out his coaching staff the team seems to have real direction and purpose again.I criticised him when he was getting things wrong so I'll give him credit when he's getting it right and long may it continue.

In Deccie I kinda trust.........maybe

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:13 pm

Am i the only one that doesnt see England as a "monstrous beast " of a forward pack.

I see them as far more athletic and powerful....with good technique.
Launchbury and parling are examples...neither are monstrous...they simple do alround jobs...they have pace, lineout ability, breakdown excellence, ball handling...and i think this comes from them playing alot of rugby at 6.

The rest of the pack is moving this way aswell...but i wouldnt say any of them were particularly huge...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:23 pm

They're not the most monstrous in recent memory... the 91-95 pack was fearsome.... they were probably 1st+ more a man then every other side in world rugby bar the boks... (who with Kobus Weise were never going to known as a mobile pack).

However these guys have become animals on the floor and fight for everything. SL has developed a good collective pack spirit amongst the ENG team.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:25 pm

One thing I would say about them after the Scotland game is that I have never seen an England pack before where all of the forwards are so comfortable handling the ball

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:29 pm

Think you're right, Geordie Fan. The England pack of the 90s, of Moore, Probyn, Leonard, Dooley, Teague, Winterbottom and Richards, that's my idea of a massive pack. The French of the 70s - massive. You wouldn't want to have got into an arm wrestle with them. Today's guys would have run round them - but through them? Dear me, no.

The modern game doesn't need packs of giants, though. Technique and mobility, which both of Sunday's packs have in spades, are the thing.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:29 pm

I'd rather have a pack with the ball handling skills of Bakkies Botha myself.... (well as long as they're as brutal as Bakkies that is)

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 07 Feb 2013, 4:44 pm

I still think they are powerful dont get me wrong...Youngs is like a pocket battleship for example...Launchburys is a powerful guy...Robshaw and Wood are strong powerful guys...they're just not the monsters of old.

More like the Kiwi packs who i also dont see as massive but they are seriously dynamic...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 07 Feb 2013, 5:26 pm

I acyually see Irelands pack as more fearsome as the English pack. Healy, Heaslip, SOB and POM carry better than any of the English, there aren't many English forwards as dynamic as those guys, and does England have anyone as nasty and agressive as Best?

IMO Ireland have a slight advantage up front.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next