The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars

+2
mikeygnfl
GSC
6 posters

Go down

32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars Empty 32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars

Post by GSC Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 11:28

Record: 2-14
Offensive Rank: 29th (Pass: 21st, Run: 30th)
Defensive Rank: 30th (Pass: 22nd, Run: 30th)

What went right?
Cecil Shorts III was a nice surprise. Blackmon had some good moments with Henne at QB. Bryan Anger was good. Really thats about all I can come up with.

What went wrong?
Blaine Gabbert is a bust. MJD was hurt. Laurent Robinson was concussed. Defense regressed a ton, they don't have a pass rush. Basically outgoing GM Gene Smith built a horrible roster. The Jags have a massive deficit of talent throughout the team.

Prospects for next season?
The Jags are 200/1 to win the SB with good reason. This team is just too riddled with holes to muster any sort of challenge on Houston and Indy. The Jags have to start over from scratch and just accumulate talent for a few years.

Projected Draft Pick?
Could be anybody really, the Jags just need to scrap needs and take the best player possible. A trade down would probably be smart for Jacksonville. That said the Jags haven't had a good pass rusher ever. Bjoern Werner makes them better up front vs run and pass.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars Empty Re: 32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 13:07

It will be interesting to see what they do at QB? They seem to be open to giving Gabbert another chance but I won't be surprised, if the Chiefs go for Joeckel, to see Geno Smith end up in Jacksonville.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars Empty Re: 32 teams in 32 days (So far so good): Jacksonville Jaguars

Post by GSC Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 13:14

I think Gabbert gets a chance to compete but nothing more. No more guys tied to him left in that FO now Gene Smith has been fired.

I think the Jags will accept they need to fill a lot of holes, so taking a quality player is better than reaching for a good QB prospect, given they'll likely be in position to grab a QB next year too.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 13:20

Anyway, this should really pick up after the first few teams which can be classified as: a few good players, everyone sucked
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 14:06

So good to be talking about something that isn't Ray Lewis related! That's all gotten a little bit nauseating vomit

I think you're right on the Gabbert front GSC - he gets a chance to compete for the starting spot this season but no more than that. No-one has anything staked on his being successful anymore.

I was a little surprised by how ineffectual Blackmon was this year. Of course it's always tough for rookie WRs unless they are truly exceptional and he wasn't helped by having Gabbert as his QB and MJD being injured however, he was hyped up a lot during the draft process and given my limited college knowledge I bought into that so was expecting a lot. I even drafted him for my fantasy team Laugh

I think Jacksonville have to play the long game going forward. They shouldn't force the QB thing this season and go picking one early unless they are convinced he is the guy. They need a very solid draft this year and for the next few years. Taking the BPA wouldn't hurt them at all.

Looking forward to your Eagles assessment which, unfortunately for you, won't be that far away Wink

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 14:08

I'll give you a sneak preview.

They sucked
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 14:37

Don't know about anyone else but I certainly thought after I watched his tape that Gabbert was very overrated coming into the draft.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 15:18

Gabbert got hyped up once Luck stayed since the media needed a pocket passer to play devils advocate to Cam
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 15:18

I remember predraft, he was in the top 5 of every mock and I can't remember a single article about him specifically.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 16:01

Did I read somewhere that Blackmon actually had the most receiving yards for any rookie this season just gone?
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Take it to the house Tue 5 Feb 2013 - 17:22

mikeygnfl wrote:Did I read somewhere that Blackmon actually had the most receiving yards for any rookie this season just gone?
He got about 850 receiving yards, maybe a bit more, don't know where that ranks though! He seemed to do much better with Henne at QB

Take it to the house

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 6 Feb 2013 - 15:58

He had a couple of huge games towards the end of the season if I remember

Cecil Shorts was a nice surprise. But again he suffered with concussions
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down