The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher

+14
themightyone
incontinentia
BlueCoverman
princedracula
Leff
JAS
twoeightnine
Bob_the_Job
McLaren
pedro
puligny
Shotrock
NedB-H
kwinigolfer
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 05 Feb 2013, 5:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Tiger got his first win of the year under his belt, and now Phil has done the same. But, of course, they didn't have the cream of the 23-strong European golfing crop to deal with. Most of the lesser lights have been playing, though, and the rest will be here for Riviera and/or the MatchPlay so time to look at their prospects for the season ahead.
Remember, this is a short year - Ross Fisher for example, to name a Q-School grad who is not in any Majors, WGC's and most likely invitationals, only has a maximum of about 19 starts remaining before the FedEx Play-Off season begins, Karlsson in the same boat.
My idea of their prospects is categorised by FedEx rank: 1-30, 31-70, 71-100, 101-125, 126-200.
I am also offering no predictions for players with the most tenuous status (Casey, Cejka, Chopra, Christian, Johnson, Knox, Olazabal and Parnevik).

2).1-30:
~McIlroy: Sky's the limit, though quite prepared to believe his new clubs and ball will take some getting used to. Not as optimistic about Majors unless he can be firing on all cylinders by The Masters - don't fancy him for the rest of them.

~Donald: Another steady season, a low-key win somewhere like Hilton Head and must have a good shout at Merion. Starting his year at Riviera, a course which suits him.

~Rose: Good year in prospect for Justin and another who'll be in the Merion mix, possibly Oak Hill too.

~McDowell: A second breakthrough year for McDowell? Strange that he won't play the West Coast given his success there, but fancy him to win at least once and contend throughout the Majors.

~Harrington: Looked pretty solid in Phoenix, was driving it a mile, and I like his chances of following that up with strong finishes at Pebble Beach and Riviera. Another I fancy to play well at all the Majors - it'll be nice to see him back, and deservedly gets a very good press in America!

3).31-70:
~Pettersson: Best of the rest! Another strong season for Sweden's fattest (until Sjoholm turns up) but can't see him winning and will need strong play-off performances to reach the Tour Championship.

~Westwood: Hope I'm wrong, but Lee needs to absolutely stripe it to compensate for the short game deficiencies that seem to have crept into his head as well as his golfbag. Good to see him playing at Pebble, but not sure it's the type of place for him to shine.

~Hanson: Probably underrating him here, his performances in the US have improved steadily for the past few years and, at 35, should be in position to graduate from contender to winner. Not sure where though.

~Garcia: Looked a world-beater at Greensboro and pretty good at the Barclays before disappearing again. Could win anywhere except perhaps Augusta, but just as easily sulk his way through the season - would think his first two events (Riviera and MatchPlay) will be revealing as to form and fitness (how's that shoulder?).

~Poulter: Needs to win as he just doesn't get enough high finishes to score consistent gobs of FedEx points - best chances at MatchPlay and Hartford. Currently owns the longest streak (16) of consecutive cuts made, and look forward to a resumption of twittering warfare with Miller.

~Blixt: Missed two months of last year but showed how good he can be at Las Vegas and the Fry's. As good a short game as there is on Tour and will accumulate plenty of high finishes even if he doesn't win. Only in the PGA (where he'll struggle) and The Players (where he could flourish) among the big events.

4).71-100:
~Kaymer: Yet to be convinced that joining the PGA Tour is a good move for Martin. Obviously has a big game but has yet to score a Top Ten (no, really!) in a regular Tour event and I can see him struggling if he doesn't make an early impact - if he settles more quickly than I expect, could have a good August at Bridgestone and Oak Hill.

~Laird: Lost his way last year and hasn't scored a top ten since runnering up at The Players, only one Top 25 in that time. We know he has the game, but does he have the ambition? Not in any WGC's or Majors. Has no exemption safety net so needs to pull his socks up.

~Jacobson: Freddie seems to fiddle his way to some good finishes while looking worse doing it than almost anyone on Tour. No Majors or WGC's to look forward to and this is the final year of his winners' exemption, so needs to get his act together.

5).101-125:
~Stenson: Much better form over the past six months, but not on the PGA Tour. Will doubtless look to the WGC MatchPlay for a good result to get his year going - just doesn't seem to care for the stick-to-it-iveness needed for the grind of the Tour; if he follows his schedule of previous years will find he runs out of tournaments unless he enjoys a good FedEx Play-Off run. Currently #52 in the owgr, but not in any Majors yet.

~Colsaerts: His year could be anything. Can see a handful of good results and a dozen missed cuts.

~Lingmerth: Halfway towards keeping his card after that second-place finish at "Humana". The trick will be repeating it!

~Davis: In a terrible trot of form - only four made cuts since June, and one could see Davis falling foul of the short season unless he gets his act together soon. Another with new clubs. Will depend on his usual happy hunting grounds such as Hilton Head, Players, Colonial, Hartford.

6).125-200:
~Owen: Fine year in 2012 but now needs to repeat. Has made 15%+ of his career Tour earnings at Pebble Beach so this is a big week for him! By Tour standards a terrible putter but what a player you'd have if you could combine Owen's "ball-striking" with Davis's putter.

~Lynn: Very sceptical of David Lynn's chances of prospering in the US. Has earned the advantage of playing a couple of WGC's and three Majors, but a disappointing start to his year and surprised that neither Lynn nor Fisher are playing Pebble - appears to me the type that will do better on courses where par has value, unlike Phoenix for instance.

~Fisher: Similar to Lynn except he's not in any Majors, WGC's or, most likely, any invitationals. It's going to be a tough year and fewer events left than he might have expected. Ridiculous that he chose Phoenix over Pebble Beach.

~Karlsson: Saved his best form last year for Q-School, but Back To Go for Robbie and one needs convincing that he's overcome whatever ailed him. Hope I'm wrong but it's almost 18 months since his last top ten and will have the same trouble as Fish in getting into enough tournaments. Fingers crossed for this week though.

~Norlander: One cut made in his first three events, and I'd reckon his season will be all about making cuts and grinding out decent finishes.

7).72 holes of Phil being Phil in Phoenix, mostly sublime but a hint of the ridiculous to maintain interest.
Eleven Europeans had Thursday tee-times, only Harrington and Pettersson survived to play the weekend. There's a message there somewhere.

8).Looking forward to the action this week on the Monterey Peninsula, a gorgeous place to go with or without golf clubs. The boys will be competing on three of the four shortest courses the Tour sees during the year, but par will be at a greater premium than last week and I'd imagine that might suit the European contingent a little better. Harrington plays well here, as does Greg Owen (3 top tens), and Westwood makes his seasonal debut.

9).The field is of uneven quality, many top players including multiple winners Mickelson and Dustin Johnson, but just about every journeyman who ever held a Tour card will pad the field out. If Mickelson plays as he did last year here (remember his demolition of Woods?) or as well as he did last week (another demolition job), he'll win going away, but there's still room for others to gain a good result. Harrington tops my list (good e.w. value at 25/1), but Baddeley, Tim Clark, Watney, Mahan and Marino, as well as the obvious Dustin, all meet the horses for courses criteria.

10).Sorry to read last week's obits for the great sports writer, Frank Keating, but rewarded with some lovely tributes. After reading a couple of observations that he "hated the whole fiasco" of the 1996 Olympics which sapped his enthusiasm for the soul of sport, it's worth remembering who was the prime mover behind that commercial extravaganza: Ryo's mate Billy Payne of course!

PS: Best wishes and fingers crossed for Lindsey Vonn. A bit of a stretch for a golf column but somehow seems relevant.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Fri 08 Feb 2013, 11:57 am

Agreed bob, i also think the pga tour must tread carefully lest they find themselves in a similar position to the UCI in the Lance Armstrong case: colluding with a known doper.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: European Golfers' "Tour" Prospects For 2013: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

Look, if wearing red shirts in competition were cause for suspension it would be a stupid rule, but a rule none-the-less. Of course VJ should not be playing.

If this were TW instead of VJ, there would be an uproar.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:17 pm

Meanwhile, they've had a little rain on the Monterey Peninsula, and occasional showers expected to continue. A bit cold also, but Saturday and Sunday should be fine.

Scoring very good Thursday, hoping for more of the same the rest of the way, especially by Messrs Knox, Owen and Westwood. Padraig needs to get a move on, looks like he started to spray it on his second nine yesterday, and not in a Vijay way.

No snow-blower here Shotrock, just old fashioned sweat equity!, but snow is falling, snow on snow, and it has to be shovelled. Bloody cold too - used to think living in England that sometimes it would be too cold for snow. Like 9F (about -15C) right now and not sure my gloves are up to it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:45 pm

Leff wrote:To me, Elk sounds like a hardcore redneck. Interesting to Y'all?
Elk must use antlers as well? Whistle

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 08 Feb 2013, 12:51 pm

Spot on Shotrock, blitzen has essentially done the same thing as signing for a wrong score and not been sanctioned, it boggles the mind!

Golf is now a game where if someones ball moves half a dimple they are penalised 2 shots but are allowed to dope with impunity.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Just to be on the other side of any debate on this, there's no evidence to suggest anyone (and Vijay clearly not the only one to have transgressed) has sought to gain any sort of competitive advantage other than that freely available but not on the PGA Tour list.

As one well-known Ryder Cup Captain of the past said the other day to the effect of: "Because of my condition I was unable even to put my scorecard in my back pocket, but dosing up with Advil every day enabled me to play virtually pain free. If that's not trying to gain a competitive advantage, I don't know what is."

The PGA Tour can't even test for what they're prohibiting - the problem is with the list. And Vijay's ignorance/neglect for which he should receive some punishment, logically a short suspension.

Finchem is already way late on responding to this, and Veej should be sanctioned. But to call him a "doper" is ridiculous.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 08 Feb 2013, 3:05 pm

Bob, LW probably only high fived left handed to prevent being contaminated with certain "substances"

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Fri 08 Feb 2013, 3:11 pm

Lance Armstrong wasnt trying to gain a competitive advantage either, he was just trying to keep up with everyone else. Go figure.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 3:20 pm

Perhaps someone with the necessary "photoshop" skills could produce a Vijay hunting trophy in the same way it's customary for many hunters to display a deer's head, above a fireplace, say?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 08 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Not sure about the dear hunting trophies but Finchems leadership certainly seems to be about as rational as a game of Russian roulette.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 08 Feb 2013, 4:17 pm

McLaren, that does depend on what your goal is: if you are looking for a way out of let's say, life, Russian roulette is not that irrational...

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

Brrrrrr! Looks very icecreamy there in your neighbourhood kwini. There seems to be something very appealing to these big storms in that area lately. Keep yourself warm...

Spoiler:
Would be nice to see a return to form from Camillo...

Last edited by princedracula on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 6:23 pm

pd,
I used to say on here that I seldom watched Pro-Ams on TV because if I wanted to watch people I wasn't interested in doing something they weren't very good at I'd watch the weather forecast.
Our morning forecast of 4 - 8 inches has already been exceeded and only one of the storms has hit us so far! Another one coming up the coast. But planes are flying, the roads are pretty decent and, because it's so cold (up to about -10C), the snow is very dry so doesn't need much shovelling. Phew! Just wish it would stop. Favoured snow-clearing device for the old farts who've seen blizzards come and go is "April".

A few guys who we haven't heard much from going nicely: Imada hasn't made a $76K+ cheque for 18 months, then there's Camilo and looks like Freddie Jac has the round of the day so far (early days of course). Not to mention a couple of birds from Padraig.
But: Come On Russell Knox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 08 Feb 2013, 6:46 pm

Sounds like an awful lot of snow, kwini! We've been waking up over here with the news that flights have been cancelled from Ireland to US today and now I can see why...

Looks like Freddie got a wake up call from someone and is moving quickly up the leaderboard (just tied the lead). At the moment himself and Sterne look to be ready to spoil Lowry's high calorie breakfast on Monday (and Wiesberger's)...

Last edited by princedracula on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

Snows like this are the kind that Kwini just brushes off his shoulder! Anyone who spent as much time as he did in Central New York can handle anything.

Seriously, it's the drifting that will likely be the more dangerous event. Hope your winds aren't too bad, Kwin.

Nothing but rain here in Philly until the storms wraps around at the end, then we could get a few inches.

My brother informed me it's 80F and sunny in Boca where he lives.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

Sr,
We drove from CNY to Boston on the Saturday morning of the Friday night "Blizzard of '78" because we had tickets for the Bruins game! 5,000 people in the Boston Garden to see Gerry Cheevers, Brad Park, Terry O'Reilly and the boys. You know we had great seats!!
No wind here until tonight - reckon Plunky's worse off than we are, unless she's still in Bermuda of course!

Wow! Freddie's HOT!! Looks like the weather's pretty much cleared up, but still cool. Regardless, birdies starting to fly. Except for Lee who's just parred his only two par-5's today.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 08 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

Man, I don't want to jinx O'Hair ... but this is a pleasant surprise!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 08 Feb 2013, 8:22 pm

Sadly, we are back from Bermuda and currently waiting for the storm to hit. So far just a little snow in the morning which got washed away by rain this afternoon. But predictions were so dire that they let us all leave work early, so that's a nice start to the weekend.

Mr p loved the blizzard of 78. He was a junior at Merrimack college and says he did nothing but play ping pong, pool, and drink beer because there were no classes for 4 days. Now of course he's a little older, slightly more responsible, and not looking forward to the shovelling tomorrow !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 8:27 pm

O'Hair still cruising and O'Hern with a good round in progess.
But O'Harrington with two bogeys including the customary par-5 SIX! What is it with him? Does he just stand on the tee and say:
"Now then Ronan, I'm hitting the ball luvvly, how can I improve my swing now I've got this inviting par-5?" Oh sh1t.

Plunks,
Good luck - don't you shovel?
And: What's not responsible about table-tennis, pool and brewskis? thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 08 Feb 2013, 9:29 pm

Disappointing finish to Oh'Harrington's round, for the second day on the trot, and he'll need to be under par Saturday to play on Sunday.
Early yet, but Brian Davis is extending his run of poor play and needs a miracle Round 3 to get paid this week.

Two more happy returns from sick bay are 40-something veterans Goosen and Sutherland, both playing nicely and even European Tour veteran Todd Hamilton is stringing some birds together. Who'd've thunk it?
Edit: They'd've been right not to have thunk it - pgatour.com greatly exaggerating Hamilton's birdie streak.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:40 am

It seems we will need to dust of the old maths text books if we are to get to grips with bifurcation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bifurcation_theory
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Feb 2013, 1:21 am

I thought Finchem invented bifurcation?

Wouldn't it be nice if pgatour.com woke up and published next week's fields. We have 21st Century expectations from them but a 20th Century service.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Feb 2013, 5:54 am

No bifurcation for Tiger as he sends TWA to retrieve his fallen angel.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/02/08/lindsey-vonn-tiger-woods-private-plane/1903933/

Wonder why he wouldn't have gone too? Would you send your chauffer to collect the patient from hospital, or would you go in person, possibly wearing a red shirt?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Sat 09 Feb 2013, 8:57 am

Woods was prolly busy helping out some other lady, the gentleman he is

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 09 Feb 2013, 9:34 am

.. and helping ducklings cross the street while pondering how to end world famine.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 09 Feb 2013, 9:59 am

Makes you wonder if Lindsay's fall on the slope didn't have something to do also with what went on in her life over the last weeks. She had to WD from a race just after that rendez-vous with Tiger in Salzburg citing lack of training, then I saw some reports saying that Tiger took her another time to Antigua for a romantic break, etc... There might have been a lot of physical activity involved in those, but probably not the right kind of training and preparations that she would normally do before a tough ski race...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 09 Feb 2013, 1:48 pm

Slept right through blizzard nemo but it sure left a lot of snow behind. Looks like at least a foot with much deeper drifts in places. Once we've had a cuppa we'll be heading out with the shovels. Mr p has explained that shoveling snow will help my golf swing. Sadly there'll be no golf for us now for ages. Sad

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Feb 2013, 2:06 pm

Good excuse for a hot toddy with your elevenses Plunky!

Should be all set for a fine day at Pebble Beach, etc. Temps in the fifties, hint of a breeze, and dry.
It'll be -1 or perhaps -2 needed to play Sunday, Harrington right on the bubble at -1.

And next week we'll be seeing Messrs Hanson, Donald, McDowell, Els among others opening their season at Riviera - Fisher among the alternates which makes his absence this week even more of a head-scratcher. Good chance he'll get in, but otherwise he could also be squeezed out of Honda and it'll be Puerto Rico before we see him again. Incomprehensible.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 09 Feb 2013, 6:50 pm

Snedeker! Dialed in throwing darts, and pulling away early. Love his pace of play and simple stroke.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:36 pm

I know I shouldn't say this as a PUP'er, but:
Oh when the Saints go marching in . . . . . !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love it!

Now then, is this Sneds's to lose? Thought he would have hit the wall by now, but this is impressive.
And, further back, Bambi's climbing the leaderboard. Harrington and Westwood treading water and that's not good enough.
Feller called O'Hair easing his way in to contention - about time!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

Vijay is zooming up the leaderboard (4 consecutive birdies!).
Playing at Spyglass among the deer herds seems to help...

Some strange mixed feelings in me and don't know why... part of me wants him banned but another part of me wants him to play well... Headscratch

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:41 pm

With the USGA talking about getting serious on the subject of slow play, the spectre of 5 1/2 hour to 6 hour rounds rears its head today at Pebble Beach. Play gets underway before 7.30 a.m. with a mixture of 3-somes and 4-somes, amateurs and pros.
Westwood is one of the dew-sweepers (I miss "dewsweeper"'s contributions on here), reward for a couple of late Saturday bogeys, but still with the chance to earn a high finish.
But Harrington, Cabrera-Bell, Karlsson, Norlander, Lingmerth, Davis, Cejka and Christian are on their respective bikes, leaving only Lee, Greg Owen, Russell Knox and Freddie to carry the European flag.

But, with South Africans so dominant in, well, South Africa, perhaps the main threat to Sendeker and the others is a resurgent Retief Goosen, lying four shots back, in 6th place?
Sunny, cool and a bit of a Sunday breeze.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 10 Feb 2013, 3:21 pm

How are you coping with the snow fall there, Kwini? Hope you are not terribly troubled.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

'Morning Leff,
Not really troubled at all; got clobbered by the storm from the West (about ten fluffy inches on Friday) but the coastal storm pretty much missed us. Absolutely gorgeous-looking day today, until you step outside and realise the Temp is below zero Fahrenheit. Warming up though!

Footie and golf to keep us warm. Hoping for a 59 from Westwood to set Pebble Beach alight.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 10 Feb 2013, 3:46 pm

Kwini, Life is not terribly disrupted in VT.

BBC is reporting that Gazza is in intensive care in Arizona. Sad story of addictions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21401141

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 10 Feb 2013, 3:46 pm

I realize I'm late to the topic on Vijay and suspension... but some points some might not be aware of.

The "process" (sorry, there's that word again) for determining a violation and application of any penalty is spelled out clearly in the PGA Tlur's Anti-doping Program Manual.

Bottom line is there are three steps to go through before the Commissioner and PGA Tour Anti-Doping program administrator must go through to determine an offense. The last of those is the player gets a chance to present his case. That could have been done with Vijay in prior communication with the Tour, but the Wednesday meeting could have been that step.

THEN... Assuming they decide there will be a suspension... it does NOT begin until 7 days after notification of the player. So even if Vijay were notified of an upcoming suspension this past Wednesday, it could not begin until next week. NoTHING in the policy as written would have allowed the Tour to keep Vijay out of Pebble.

AND... there is an appeals process that uses and independent arbitration panel. The policy calls for a hearing within 45 days of the formation of that panel... so assume 2 weeks to get a panel together, then 45 days for the hearing then the panel has up to 15 days to render a decision... that could be 75 days total.

PUBLIC NOTICE: It may have been covered in this thread... unlike any other Tour violations, public notice of suspensions resulting from anti-doping violations are REQUIRED. So there will be not guessing, we WILL know if Vijay is suspended or not, even if it's for a day. NO notice of suspension means he was NOT suspended. But again, with potential appeals it could be 75 days before we know for sure.

THE PENALTY: The PGA Tour's anti-doping manual lays out a penalty of up to 1 year suspension for a first offense.... but not necessarily any suspension at all. WADA puts out a comprehensive document that outlines "suggested" penalties for the varying circumstances of violation. (The International Doping Standards) The Tour's manual "implies" the PGA Tour will follow those guidelines in issuing / not issuing penalties under those standards, but gives the Commissioner the power to vary them as he sees fit.

This is not an opinion on what the Tour might do... or what they should do... just an outline of how the Tour can/must proceed.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:01 pm

Nice work pulling this info, robopz.

So, VS's max likely suspension is 1 year. He will probably get a few months suspension as the offense is minor and that he revealed it himself. I am guessing less than 6 months.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:05 pm

Cheers robo, Understand this what Sabbatini had to go through, for different reasons, and he was able to manipulate it nicely to suit his schedule!

But I would have thought this should be different - in an extreme circumstance (and not necessarily Veej) - it says that you can compete while drugs might still be in yr system and provide a competitive advantage, but when it's flushed thru the system (and the antlers have shrunk?) we'll send you to the pokey.

It won't stop Westwood's quest for the title though - 2 holes, 2 birdies.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
My idea of their prospects is categorised by FedEx rank: 1-30, 31-70, 71-100, 101-125, 126-200.

Tremendous analysis. While I might see the prospects of one or two players slightly higher... and one or two slightly lower... I think you've basically NAILED IT. OK It's always fun to look back and see how our expectations pan out. Even more fun to see who's going to be the big surprise(s) both UP and DOWN.

My only comment would be to expand on your comments about David Lynn. While on one hand I'm a fan of the PGA Tour and pleased that we will be seeing so many quality international players here, I have concerns for many more players than just Lynn. Of course the reasons any Euro might have for "giving the PGAT a go" may vary, it seems to me some of the dual-tour guys are risking a lot coming over. IMO guys like Lynn and Colsearts could be in for a real wake up call. The REAL potential carrot of coming to the PGAT is to get to the Tour Championship. I'm not sure guys who are not yet established as consistent world class players realize how difficult that's going to be. I mean let's face it, the PGAT is a meat grinder, that chews up and spits out all but the best players from ANYWHERE including Americans. And to succeed in dual touring here, while playing maybe 15-18 against a juggernaut of grinders playing 23-28 is a BIG BIG ask.

Certainly its a different situation for those who have made the States their primary home after college and consider the PGAT their primary tour... it's just the "dual-tour" guys I'm talking about.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:But I would have thought this should be different - in an extreme circumstance (and not necessarily Veej) - it says that you can compete while drugs might still be in yr system and provide a competitive advantage, but when it's flushed thru the system (and the antlers have shrunk?) we'll send you to the pokey

I get your point... I guess there's two ways to look at it...

Part of that 7 days a player gets after notification of suspension is time set aside to determine if he wants to appeal. Also it seems that it's not a slam dunk that a player WON'T eventually win his appeal, so perhaps they don't feel they should be taking a guy's livelihood away from him until the "process" has had a chance to see it's way through.

And as for potential penalty... I have NO CLUE what it might be. My only thought is that it might be VERY smart for Timmy to go exactly down the line of recommendations from the International code. These things WILL come up again sooner or later, and if they go by the code each and every time... then all is fine... but any variance could lead to suggestion of preferential treatment... etc... etc. Now that would be a REAL can-o-worms. My biggest question in all this now is Calc apparently freely admitted to using this stuff in 2011, then immediately quit when notified it had a banned substance. But we KNOW Calc was not suspended because with the Public Notice provision we would have known. How should that precedent affect the decision on Vijay? Granted there was the notice to the rest of the Tour players after the Calc deal... I just dunno....

One thing for sure... the other 364 days of the year I'd LOVE to be Timmy along with his nearly 8 figure contract. But on this one... I'm glad I'm not cuz IMO he's not making a decision on just Vijay... he's setting precedent. The wrong decision now can really come back and bite him (or future commissioners) down the line...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:45 pm

robo,
Completely agree with you on the "grind" of the PGA Tour, think we're on the same page here; as a generality I don't feel as if non-Americans who come to the Tour without going through the web.com have a clue about the courses, grasses, scheduling, even the nuances as to which tournaments they might not be eligible for.
Magnified in this short season.
Tried to reflect that above!

As for Veej and Timmy, we just don't know what we don't know.

PS: Tiger stealing the tabloid headlines again this week. Whatever happens around 17-Mile Drive.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:51 pm

Front nine all starters mostly under par, back niners mostly over.
Tournament starts when the leaders hit the 8th tee.

Russell Knox losing ground, needs to earn a couple of birdies coming in to have a chance of a spot in the Riviera field. Good luck laddie . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:02 pm

Beginning to look as if it's going to be Snedeker's week, not to say Snedeker's year so far. Very impressive.

Very happy to see Goosen continuing his return to good health - might not win but looking as if he'll enjoy a very good start to his season.

Another bird for Stadler and what an appropriate first win this would be for Walrus Junior; ain't gonna happen though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

Ear of the Pig from Westwood on his back nine par 5's, and that'll keep him from a decent cheque and any worthwhile owgr impact.
Sneds to fourth with a win?

Freddie still going strong - evidently read my advice for his year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Sun 10 Feb 2013, 9:21 pm

I dread to think how Westwood would have played these last couple of weeks if he hadn't 'hit the ground running' as a result of moving to Florida!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 9:40 pm

Good point SJ clap
Jury will be out until he starts winning. So far he's not even leading Nottinghamshire man.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:51 pm

Really glad to see Brandt doing well, he seems like one of the genuinely nicer guys on tour. Hope he wins the masters.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm

incont,
Can assure you Sneds is great fun to follow, wouldn't know how nice a guy he is, but always has a smile on his face when he's on the course.
He's been going 5 1/2 hours so far, putting on 17 - pretty disgraceful pace (or lack of it. Predictable but pathetic nevertheless.

Another decent (30th) finish at Pebble for Mansfield Man, beat Worksop's best (or second best according to Mark Foster) by a couple of shots.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Leff Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:24 pm

Congratulations to Sneds. Fifth PGA title. Worthy winner. That's how to play the final day. clap

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:37 pm

Agreed Leff, Chris Kirk shot a 66 and lost a shot to Sneds. Marvellous golf from both of them.
Nice season so far for Snedeker:
3rd, 23rd, T2nd, 2nd, Winner. Where's Paul Lawrie when you need him?

Almost $3Mil in the bank already.

As an aside, very pleased for Patrick Reed - Monday qualied all last year., scraped thru Q-School and now a prestigious Top Ten which will get him in Riviera next week. Guy's got game.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next