The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread

+54
Duty281
Imperialbigdave
Gibson
Tramptastic
Manky-Flanker
allyt2k
tatterd
mattygoat
ChequeredJersey
mystiroakey
Barney McGrew did it
stub
Dave.
valjester
nathan
Artful_Dodger
thebluesmancometh
wales606
overlordofthewest
Cari
justified sinner
jimbopip
IanBru
GLove39
Glas a du
MacKnocked-on
lostinwales
cp10
Solid8
Bathman_in_London
alive555
NeilyBroon
reallybored
sensisball
123skelm
cakeordeath
UlstermaninGlasgow
21st Century Schizoid Man
bsando
Captain_Sensible
townsendistarantino
Heuer27
Brendan
funnyExiledScot
tigertattie
TJ1
RuggerRadge2611
Tattie Scones RRN
Pat_Mustard
captain carrantuohil
RDW
George Carlin
R!skysports
58 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread - Page 2 Empty Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread

Post by R!skysports Wed 06 Feb 2013, 9:35 am

First topic message reminder :

Well we have had our first kick in the teeth for 2013, with a terrible performance against a strong England. Can we turn it around in time for Italy. Only two changes, both forced by injury. If this a good thing, or a sign of managers without a clue

Team for Saturday

Scotland team to play Italy:
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors);
Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors),
Sean Lamont (Glasgow Warriors),
Matt Scott (Edinburgh),
Tim Visser (Edinburgh);
Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors),
Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh);
Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors),
Ross Ford (Edinburgh),
Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors),
Richie Gray (Sale Sharks),
Jim Hamilton (Gloucester),
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors),
Kelly Brown (Saracens),
Johnnie Beattie (Montpellier).

Replacements: Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors)/Pat MacArthur (Glasgow Warriors), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Geoff Cross (Edinburgh Rugby), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), David Denton (Edinburgh Rugby), Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors), Max Evans (Castres).

Who should be on last chance saloon - Hamilton, Ford, Jackson and Lamont.

Concerned - Brown playing at 7 still

So how do you expect this to go. If italy play like they did at the weekend, we will lose. It is in our hands to get ourselves our of this mess, but do we have the passion, defensive ability or even the still to do so?

Current Italy Squad

15-Andrea Masi,
14-Giovanbattista Venditti,
13-Tommaso Benvenuti,
12-Gonzalo Canale,
11-Luke McLean,
10-Luciano Orquera,
9-Tobias Botes;
1-Andrea Lo Cicero,
2-Leonardo Ghiraldini,
3-Martin Castrogiovanni,
4-Quintin Geldenhuys,
5-Francesco Minto,
6-Alessandro Zanni,
7-Simone Favaro,
8-Sergio Parisse (capt)

Replacements: 16-Davide Giazzon, 17-Alberto De Marchi, 18-Lorenzo Cittadini, 19-Antonio Pavanello, 20-Paul Derbyshire, 21-Kris Burton, 22-Gonzalo Garcia

Last edited by Riskysports on Fri 08 Feb 2013, 10:06 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Italy team)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread

Post by R!skysports Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:57 pm

FES - You seem to want to ignore my point

Jackson should start, but is running out of chances

If you want to bring the whole " particularly for those who don't really care about the alternatives." argument, which you created then fine

But I will stand by my opinion that so far in 16 starts Jackson has not done enough

If you think Ross, Heathcote or anyone else is above Weir fair enough. I have little chance to see Edinburgh or Glasgow rugby as it is not on real TV, so bow to your knowledge

Last edited by Riskysports on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland vs Italy - time to get serious - build up thread

Post by bsando Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:59 pm

Reading through these comments I think certain players are being judged too harshly and others are getting off Scot free - excuse the pun.

Now Denton did a few very obvious, crap mistakes. But to be fair on him, he did a lot of good things too that have gone unnoticed. More than once he dived on the ball to retain possession after someone tried an impossible offload or spilled ball in contact. His quick basket ball pass out of a ruck was very good too. However, I'm glad to see Harley getting a go, he deserves it.

Now I know the forwards were under all kinds of pressure at breakdown but there were many opportunities to pass ball through hands rather than kick it away. Some of these kicks worked well but the majority were just not followed up and England had lots of time with ball in hand.

Jackson in my view played alright considering the circumstances. But he did do several stupid things when barely under any pressure at all, like a grubber kick for a prop to run on to at halfway line. Sensible option there was to just go into contact, but he froze up. Not the best quality in a player.

Hamilton deserves some criticism. When we had line out deep in England's half he went into a ruck and got pushed over with ease by an English forward and then just lay there for a while until Scotland got done for holding on.

If forwards work well this weekend and there is still as much kicking as there was last weekend then I won't be impressed.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:10 pm

I agree, i think Murray is an old fashioned type prop (who's propping is a lttle creaking) who offers little in the loose. As is Hamilton.

the game has moved on now and I think the mobile props, who do lots of the clearing out are the way forward - Oh to have found a scottish gene in Dan Cole

In that vain - some of the players that struggle due to being old school are:

Murray
Hamilton
Chunk (before he retired)

So is the question, do we look to sacrifice the scrum and go for fast mobile props and second rows, or look to boost the scrum and make it a strong platfom (subject to us having the players)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:13 pm

Option A (whoops, put the wrong one first). I doubt that you'll sacrifice that much in the scrum and you'll gain massively elsewhere.

Last edited by captain carrantuohil on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:16 pm

Anyone read Sean maitlands column on bbc? Pretty fun read, refreshing compared to usual crap you her from players, such as "yeah if we don't score trie we'll lose the game" or "I think we can win next week, just have to play well"

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

Why can Laidlaw play 10. You must have someone who can play nine at that level.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:23 pm

Good read - but a worrying comment

"The breakdown too, was an issue. This area of the game was our main focus going into the match. "

If they were focused on it and they were that poor - can anyone imagine what they would have been like unfocussed!

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain_Sensible Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:27 pm

Riskysports wrote:Good read - but a worrying comment

"The breakdown too, was an issue. This area of the game was our main focus going into the match. "

If they were focused on it and they were that poor - can anyone imagine what they would have been like unfocussed!

The issue wasn't one of quality or focus, but of tactics. They got their tactics wrong. We all know these players can contest the breakdown effectively, but the game plan was to stand back, cover the whole pitch and deal with England's one-out passing game. Unfortunately, England varied their game quite a bit, which, coupled with our slow defensive linespeed, gave them dominance.

Captain_Sensible

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21357003

The more this guy says the more I think we need to keep him involved in Scottish rugby for a long time, he just can't stand mediocrity and his attitude seems to be fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 06 Feb 2013, 5:56 pm

As Radge hinted above the problem lies as much in poor attitude as in poor coaching or poor technique. Especially Hamilton and Denton. Ford was quite good when he came on (from one of his biggest detractors - on here anyhow). Jackson and Laidlaw were badly exposed by the likes of Hamilton and Denton (not alone but particularly conspicuous). Gray's attitude may not be great either but at least he appeared somewhat embarrassed by proceedings as did Lamont.

We cannot therefore reward crap attitude by doing nothing - bloody sort it out Johnson mad or you are falling into the same crappy, rubbish management style of the BBE FFS

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:03 pm

Yes, I think we've identified Big Jim as the pinetree for the chop in the next game - he's been very good for the Cherries but never really seems to carry that to Scotland - his record for appearing on the losing side with Scotland is trouser-troublingly appalling. Kellock has about 10 more wins under his belt that Jim does and that must mean something.

Murray is a concern. He's 32 now and it's his inconsistency that's been the killer. That hasn't been helped by Ford and Chunks' Laurel and Hardy impression in recent years but Murray looked excellent against the Wallabies and the South Sea Islanders and again seems to have faded. Dotting around clubs doesn't help either and I think that we have to ask the ugly question about whether he will ever hit the heights that he did with the Saints and the Lions.

Murray is another good example of perhaps not always being up to snuff whilst simultaneously being the best that we have. The best young props we have (Shiells and Reid) are looseheads, Low has not even come back close to pre-injury form and the Mighty Coo boxing is not qualified for another 18 months (by which time, he will also be nearly 30).

I'll say no more about Maitland other than we are incredibly lucky to have him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:07 pm

One prospect worth looking out for is 'Gorgeous' George Hunter at Glasgow... He's been unlucky with injuries this season but hasn't looked out of place at TH this season. He's only 21 and has plenty of time to develop...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:27 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:One prospect worth looking out for is 'Gorgeous' George Hunter at Glasgow... He's been unlucky with injuries this season but hasn't looked out of place at TH this season. He's only 21 and has plenty of time to develop...

Didn't he come on against Leinster and then get absolutely destroyed.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:35 pm

Thought he did well, at loosehead, which isn't his prefered position...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

My only memory of that game is the scrum going backwards once he came on. Actually not strictly true, I remember feeling quite sorry for him as he came on because of who he was up against. Definite baptism of fire.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by 123skelm Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:44 pm

I'm bemused by the Meatball bashing which has been going on for sometime and is totally out of order.

He was out for 9 weeks, yes 9 weeks then on his first game back is asked to perform against a very strong Munster team without even a game in Prem 1 to get his game in order, well that's coaches for you!

Everyone, or most on these forums, last year thought he had the potential to be our our No 1 in my humble opinion he still has as many other people have said he needs game time please explain how he gets that?

Agree with many statements before Jackson had nothing to do due to the poor ball he got but under a little bit of pressure his kicking was poor.

The forwards need to change the amount of ball and the quality of ball we require to use or backs to there best advantage. We can have Dan Messiah Carter and he would have made very little difference last Saturday.

123skelm

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:52 pm

I think the Euan Murray situation is slightly easier than the stand-off question, simply because we have two alternatives in Cross and Low playing regular rugby. Neither scrummage as well as Murray, but I don't actually think there's much in it. Both offer more in the loose - Cross considerably more. Murray Low is probably the happy medium.

Personally for Italy I'd stick with Euan Murray, with Low coming off the bench. If Murray struggles, I'd go with Low in the next match. That's a clear case of succession planning, combined with the fact that Murray isn't actually delivering on his principal purpose in any event. If he can't hold up the scrum, what's he for?

I put Jim Hamilton in the same category. If we can't hold our own in the set piece with him selected for the tight and nasty stuff, then why include him? I've said all along that we ought to be using Tim Swinson. He's played consistently well all season, and was a consistent performer in the Jeff for years at Newcastle. He's a mobile lock with a high tackle rate and excellent at the breakdown. Yes, he's not the biggest, but Hamilton didn't punch his weight against England, and Kellock's bark has always been worse than his bite.

Sorting out these problems would give whoever we select at 10 a far better platform.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:59 pm

123skelm wrote:I'm bemused by the Meatball bashing which has been going on for sometime and is totally out of order.

He was out for 9 weeks, yes 9 weeks then on his first game back is asked to perform against a very strong Munster team without even a game in Prem 1 to get his game in order, well that's coaches for you!

Everyone, or most on these forums, last year thought he had the potential to be our our No 1 in my humble opinion he still has as many other people have said he needs game time please explain how he gets that?

Agree with many statements before Jackson had nothing to do due to the poor ball he got but under a little bit of pressure his kicking was poor.

The forwards need to change the amount of ball and the quality of ball we require to use or backs to there best advantage. We can have Dan Messiah Carter and he would have made very little difference last Saturday.

Two things. Firstly, there's only one Messiah in rugby, and it's not Dan Carter.

Secondly, Duncan Weir gets gametime at Glasgow first, then for Scotland, not the other way around. Like you I think Weir is a player full of potential, but let's see that potential realised first in a Glasgow jersey before we throw him to the lions of international rugby. That would do noone any favours. I agree with you, he was rushed back too soon, and now he's on the bench for Scotland without any quality gametime, or showing anything like the form he had last season. That isn't fair on him at all. I'd have him starting the Glasgow Rabo fixtures personally, then review how those go before the final games in the 6 Nations. Use Heathcote in the meantime.

I think ultimately that Weir will be the better 10 than Jackson - I've always felt that. Better all round game and better attitude. That doesn't mean that he has some divine right to play ahead of Jackson though. Potential is nothing until it's realised, and the process starts in a club jersey.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
123skelm wrote:I'm bemused by the Meatball bashing which has been going on for sometime and is totally out of order.

Two things. Firstly, there's only one Messiah in rugby, and it's not Dan Carter.

Secondly, Duncan Weir gets gametime at Glasgow first, then for Scotland, not the other way around. Like you I think Weir is a player full of potential, but let's see that potential realised first in a Glasgow jersey before we throw him to the lions of international rugby. That would do noone any favours. I agree with you, he was rushed back too soon, and now he's on the bench for Scotland without any quality gametime, or showing anything like the form he had last season. That isn't fair on him at all. I'd have him starting the Glasgow Rabo fixtures personally, then review how those go before the final games in the 6 Nations. Use Heathcote in the meantime.

I think ultimately that Weir will be the better 10 than Jackson - I've always felt that. Better all round game and better attitude. That doesn't mean that he has some divine right to play ahead of Jackson though. Potential is nothing until it's realised, and the process starts in a club jersey.

I still believe that unless Jackson starts playing well there is no point playing him, I agree he should start against Italy but he's not the best fly-half in Scotland, he's not the best at his club. Yes, he's the form Scottish 10 at the moment but unless he can replicate it for Scotland, I see no value in starting him ahead of Weir or Heathcote who are infinitely better player. While he starts we can't replace our scrum-half because of his inability to kick, he doesn't draw the defence at all, he kicks for the sake of kicking and occasionally throws long passes for seemingly no other reason than to show everyone how long he can pass it. He isn't a "youngster" any more and he isn't an international standard fly-half. He's classed as a running fly-half but how many clean line breaks has he made in a Scotland shirt, how many assists, how many tries? The answer is zero, if you compare him to other "running" fly-halves like Sexton or Tommy Burns then you'll discover he's just not good enough. I think he was fortunate enough to come through at a time in which there was no one else except Parks or Godman, Godman was shoite and Parks wasn't playing well, Jackson was picked simply because he wasn't Parks and has been able to be in and around the squad since then.

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:25 pm

The real judgement call here is how long we persist with any player not cutting the mustard. SJ has indicated that it's two games and in a tournament of only five games long for each team, I think that's reasonable.

The only worrying bits about Scott's selections so far is to fail to recognise our collective genius as armchair selectors peering over our fourth belly and get Swinson and Grove into the training camp. At least, I don't think he has.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

George Carlin wrote:The real judgement call here is how long we persist with any player not cutting the mustard. SJ has indicated that it's two games and in a tournament of only five games long for each team, I think that's reasonable.

The only worrying bits about Scott's selections so far is to fail to recognise our collective genius as armchair selectors peering over our fourth belly and get Swinson and Grove into the training camp. At least, I don't think he has.

I do thing we should collectively apply for the full time job

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

123skelm wrote:

I think he is a good player ill served by his coaches but he is not ready to play in internationals now I wouldn't have thought. He needs to not sit on the bench at Murrayfeild but get some game time at Glasgow. Maybe get a game or two later in the tourney in the six nations. Right now he needs gametime.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:36 pm

Weir is a very confident young guy whereas Jackson is rather more introspective and a 'confidence' player. he is a good rugby player with a good rugby brain but he neds a bit more protection than he got on Saturday. Weir is just not match fit and was badly ring rusty in the Pro12 game v Munster.

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:41 pm

Jackson - the form 10 in Scotland, had a decent game with poor ball to work with. Got stuck in in defence and turned a ball over, Didn't get much ball in attack - 20 passes to him, 9 kicked, 10 passed 1 run. Not much possession to wor with and not much space on the pitch. i don't think his performance was one to condemn him on. In the past he has looked poor and shown a lack of composure. he didn't in this match.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 06 Feb 2013, 8:55 pm

TJ wrote:Jackson - the form 10 in Scotland, had a decent game with poor ball to work with. Got stuck in in defence and turned a ball over, Didn't get much ball in attack - 20 passes to him, 9 kicked, 10 passed 1 run. Not much possession to wor with and not much space on the pitch. i don't think his performance was one to condemn him on. In the past he has looked poor and shown a lack of composure. he didn't in this match.

Well said Sir clap

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:49 pm

Undoubtedly Jackson may play well against iIaly. However we are likely to be squeezed in the scrum and our lineout is likely to be erratic. If that happens then the weaknesses in Jackson's kicking game are likely to be exposed again. I think that he hasnt got the range of accurate kicks neeeded at international level. Quite a few examples of poor kicking on show at Twickers last week

However if we get the edge up front and he is able to ship the pill along the back line then what happens? It reaches Sean Lamont and dies.

Jackson's limited kicking game and Lamont's lack of a pass mean that we are hugely vulnerable if italy are able to put effective pressure on our set piece and in contact.

The Azzuri will travel with huge conviction about their ability to win back to back games in the 6N's for the first time in their history.

Their win against a stuttering France was no fluke. They played with passion, invention and discipline that made the outcome look nailed on after about 15 minutes.

After his excellent display against Saxons i would have been more comfortable with Tom Heathcote on the bench than the out of form and fitness Duncan Weir.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:37 am

Pleased Johnson has stuck with roughly the same team and delighted that Harley is getting a start.

Murray is getting a fair kicking but to be fair, according to the stats he made more tackles than Brown and our scrum was pretty competitive.

Hamilton needs a big performance (which I hope to see) or Gilchrist will be knocking on the door which would be totally deserved.

I feel bad for Jackson, he's still a relatively young fly-half and has been unlucky with injuries that have disrupted his development, as well as the emergence of Weir at Glasgow. People love sticking the boot into him but I can't remember any games that I'd place the blame at his door for, and I seem to remember him having a pretty good game against the Pumas at RWC.

Plus, he had a important hand in Hogg's try, we don't have many backs that can take and give a pass under that much pressure.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:22 am

I saw Kelly Brown et al singing the new rendition of Highland Cathedral for the Scotland Italy game this weekend. Sure I would have rather seen them precticing their rucking drills or tackle practice but it's for charity so... ok we can let it slip.

But does this quote mean it will be replacing Flower of Scotland this weekend? :

“O Flower of Scotland is fantastic and it’s great to sing when we play England, but it’s not the same when we play Wales or Ireland or France for example. Highland Cathedral is a wonderful tune, and there have been a few lyrics written before but we wanted to create something that Murrayfield could take to its heart, that was pretty simple, easy lyrics that people could stand up and sing. It’s not meant for playing in a quiet bar, but for a big crowd to stand up and launch forth with.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/top-rugby-stories/six-nations-kelly-brown-s-praise-for-rob-harley-1-2777710

Shocked
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:25 am

And Again!

Hastings joined the current skipper at yesterday’s unveiling of a new Scottish rugby record Highland Cathedral with Kelly Brown and Voices of Scottish rugby, as one of many ex-internationalists who appear in the video, and, recalling how he recorded O Flower of Scotland with the 1990 squad when that became the official pre-match anthem, said he was delighted to help the cause again.

“O Flower of Scotland was great for us, and having Kelly and the rest of the Scottish team endorsing this song [Highland Cathedral] is great now. It’s the sort of thing that people will see on the screens and will catch on in the next two or three seasons I’m absolutely sure.”

Shocked

Have we lost our anthem without even knowing?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 07 Feb 2013, 9:25 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I saw Kelly Brown et al singing the new rendition of Highland Cathedral for the Scotland Italy game this weekend. Sure I would have rather seen them precticing their rucking drills or tackle practice but it's for charity so... ok we can let it slip.

But does this quote mean it will be replacing Flower of Scotland this weekend? :

“O Flower of Scotland is fantastic and it’s great to sing when we play England, but it’s not the same when we play Wales or Ireland or France for example. Highland Cathedral is a wonderful tune, and there have been a few lyrics written before but we wanted to create something that Murrayfield could take to its heart, that was pretty simple, easy lyrics that people could stand up and sing. It’s not meant for playing in a quiet bar, but for a big crowd to stand up and launch forth with.”

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby/top-rugby-stories/six-nations-kelly-brown-s-praise-for-rob-harley-1-2777710

Shocked

Hopefully, Flower of Scotland is the second worst 6Ns anthem before God Save the Queen. Something less dreary please Very Happy

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat_Mustard Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:05 am

As for whether his new song might take over as Scotland’s pre-match anthem, in the way O Flower of Scotland did in 1990, Brown was just as clear.

“This is a song that we did for the fans and it’s got absolutely nothing to do with taking over from O Flower of Scotland.”

Pat_Mustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:09 am

TJ wrote:Jackson - the form 10 in Scotland, had a decent game with poor ball to work with. Got stuck in in defence and turned a ball over, Didn't get much ball in attack - 20 passes to him, 9 kicked, 10 passed 1 run. Not much possession to wor with and not much space on the pitch. i don't think his performance was one to condemn him on. In the past he has looked poor and shown a lack of composure. he didn't in this match.

Considering Hogg was used for the clearance kicks, booting half of his received ball amounting to sweet fa does indeed look poor and show a lack of composure. Not to mention keek decision making and awareness.

Not a bad club player but nowhere near International class.

I'd have had Weir start with Heathcote on the bench to come on when Weir started fading.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:31 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Considering Hogg was used for the clearance kicks, booting half of his received ball amounting to sweet fa does indeed look poor and show a lack of composure. Not to mention keek decision making and awareness.

Not a bad club player but nowhere near International class.

I'd have had Weir start with Heathcote on the bench to come on when Weir started fading.

You have to look at the opposition though Tattie, Jackson was given no chance on Saturday, and Weir was very poor in one of the few matches he has played this year. You can't seriously start him under those cirumstances.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 07 Feb 2013, 10:52 am

I see what you're saying Radge and I have mentioned above that most of the forwards were utter kack last Saturday but even when we have fronted up and Jackson was involved, there still wasn't great rugby being played.

If England's line speed was bordering offside, he should have changed tactics to make them think twice about rushing up. As I've said - he can run through the moves but can't adapt to what's in front of him.

trust me, there will be no-one more ecstatic than me if he does come up trumps but 16 caps so far says he can't.

Good luck to him anyway.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:11 am

On a different note....

Pat McArtur has been selcted on the bench instead of Dougi Hall.

Good news!

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:15 am

was hall injured ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:19 am

MacArthur should be starting. He has been playing more rugby than Ford recently, although Ford was one of our better players up front on Saturday so can understand his inclusion if not his starting slot.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

Inno di Mameli coffee

Brothers of Italy,
Italy has woken,
Bound Scipio's helmet
Upon her head.
Where is Victory?
Let her bow down,[3]
For God created her
Slave of Rome.

CHORUS:
Let us join in a cohort,
We are ready to die.[4]
We are ready to die,
Italy has called.
Let us join in a cohort,
We are ready to die.
We are ready to die,
Italy has called!

Si!

Absolutely love it. OK

You can stick your haka up your culo.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Thu 07 Feb 2013, 11:54 am

George Carlin wrote:Inno di Mameli coffee

Brothers of Italy,
Italy has woken,
Bound Scipio's helmet
Upon her head.
Where is Victory?
Let her bow down,[3]
For God created her
Slave of Rome.

CHORUS:
Let us join in a cohort,
We are ready to die.[4]
We are ready to die,
Italy has called.
Let us join in a cohort,
We are ready to die.
We are ready to die,
Italy has called!

Si!

Absolutely love it. OK

You can stick your haka up your culo.

+1 GC. Always makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck...
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:08 pm

The best national anthem I think, the French is uplifting too.

I love the 'Si!' at the end!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:11 pm

The Italian anthem and the Argentine anthem are both brilliant and by far the best in world rugby. GC is that the actual translation or the Italian equivalent of "Wales, Wales bloody great fishes are Wales"? I am not a cunning linguist and Google translate is baws so never really worked it out.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:16 pm

Laugh That's the actual translation as far as I'm aware.

Although I think that the lyrics of the Italian anthem should actually be:
music "We gave you Monica Belluci,
We gave you Monica Belluci,
And Sofia Loren,
And pizza too,
You owe us one,
You owe us one". music

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:20 pm

Good to see that Barclay is back for Glasgow on Sunday. All we need is Rennie too1

also Warburton has been ruled out with a 'stinger injury' aka dropped.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

Started a new Glasgow-Zebre thread here:
https://www.606v2.com/t40390-glasgow-v-zebre-10-february

Barclay and Sick Note Lamont coming back - a very strong looking Glasgow side indeed, given the international window. Nothing less than a bonus point win should be acceptable.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:06 pm

Yes I'd love to see rennie playing again, deserves a chance to play a few games and try impress for Scotland and lions.

Yes I'd say bp win is a must or Glasgow, they have lots of strength in depth in that team. Gotta be pushing for play offs again.

So are we all agreed tactics were wrong last weekend vs England? And that if they are virtually unchanged this weekend we should be concerned?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:15 pm

It could have been the tactics, or it could have been the way the pack implemented the game-plan they were given, we cannot tell because we don't know what they were told to do.

If we find ourselves in the situation where our backs are doing their best to dig the forwards out of a physically under-committed hole then serious soul searching must be done by the management and players must be dropped.

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

I think team selection and tactics should be viewed separately, and I think that tactics can change from game to game in view of the opposition.

This is a better side to face Italy than the side chosen to face England.

Will need to listen to this new "anthem" when I get back from work - I do think we could use a few more songs at Murrayfield. Maybe this is why Max Evans is in the squad - for his voice!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by cp10 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:25 pm

Could we see the return of the Killer Bs by then end of the 6Ns?

cp10

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think team selection and tactics should be viewed separately, and I think that tactics can change from game to game in view of the opposition.

This is a better side to face Italy than the side chosen to face England.

Will need to listen to this new "anthem" when I get back from work - I do think we could use a few more songs at Murrayfield. Maybe this is why Max Evans is in the squad - for his voice!
It's certainly not for his ability to play rugby.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:42 pm

cp10 wrote:Could we see the return of the Killer Bs by then end of the 6Ns?

I think there's a pretty good chance, assuming Barclay comes back quicker than Rennie.

I'd welcome it as well. We need to get some balance to our pack

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next