The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast

5 posters

Go down

Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast Empty Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast

Post by barragan Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:39 am

Planning a week on the Northumberland coast and will probably take the pencil bag and a half set with me. Hopefully get a game somewhere - any recommendations for links (or cliff-top) courses in particular? Have walked by the courses at Dunstanburgh and Bamburgh before and these seem like good bets. I've never played a round outside Scotland before, so looking forward to opening my 'English account' with a gem.

Last edited by barragan on Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

barragan

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast Empty Re: Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast

Post by McLaren Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:45 am

Check out Goswick, it is a nice links course somewhere along the coast from Berwick upon tweed.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast Empty Re: Recommendations for golf on the Northumberland coast

Post by puligny Wed 06 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

Try this:
http://www.golfnorthumberland.com/

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 06 Feb 2013, 11:16 am

If you are closer to newcastle you could try close house colt or Tynside.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 06 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

thanks guys,
probably be staying somewhere around alnwick i think. the golf passport seems like a good deal. may only play once though i think, unless i sneak an extra 9 holes in somewhere else.
any course reviews would be interesting if any of you have played any.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:32 pm

Goswick (the Berwick club) is the best course round there as McLaren says.

Bamburgh is nice on a (relatively) calm day but you seldom get that. It's a very old course as well, with 10 or 11 holes that are completely blind. There's a par 3 - about the 14th which you hit over a sea of gorse and a wall to a tiny invisible green. On some of those holes there's very little between finding your ball next to the stick, and not finding your ball. Nice if you like old fashioned golf.

Dunstanburgh is a good course, with nice views. Most people find it a bit less frustrating than Bamburgh.

Seahouses is nice too, but 9 holes only I think.

The last course I've played round there is Burgham Park, which is an absolute monster off the back tees. It's nice enough, but you could be in any UK county. If you want the Northumberland golf experience, you are better sticking to links.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 06 Feb 2013, 4:51 pm

useful george. having checked online, i think i may enter one of the goswick opens later in the year instead. dunstanburgh probably top of the list for the holiday game at present.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 06 Feb 2013, 6:18 pm

Have a practice round at Goswick before the open. There are a few holes there where you need to know where you are going as well.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:18 pm

When are you going ban? I hope it is at a time with some slightly warmer weather.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 07 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm

april mac - hoping for some friendly weather. the wee one will probably be more or less on his feet by then so should be great. sandcastles here we come!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Tue 12 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

afternoon barragan.

im currently living in the area and there are probably 8 links type of courses you could choose from.

bamburgh - nice course with 2 par 3 to start with but on a windy day it can be very long! its quite pricey also!

dunstanburgh - again, another good course and probably more forgiving than bamburgh.

seahouses - 18 hole course with 6 holes being played over the road as parkland but its probably the cheapest option and the links part of the course has some brilliant holes.

goswick - open qualifier but doesnt do a whole lot for me if im being honest. can be very expensive depending when you want to play

whitley bay - off the beaten track and not a true links course but still definately worth a play.

whitburn - nice course with a good mix of parkland holes and links holes. can pick up a very cheap game here

south shields - really nice course which over looks whitburn so not really a "true" links but still worth a play

hartlepool - not played it but a friend tried it last week and said its a brilliant course and its where greame storm learnt his trade.

hope this helps you out and if you need any further advice on any parkland courses in and around northumberland feel free to ask.

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 12 Feb 2013, 7:51 pm

If you venture as far south as hartlepool then Seaton Carew is a must. It's the best links that could host the open championship that doesn't host the open. There are about 25 holes configurable into three versions of the course depending on what's being played and weatherconditions. It's in good condition too.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 25 Feb 2013, 1:58 pm

Thanks for the info chaps. I think on his occasion i'm going to go for a game at dunstanburgh. I've spoken to a few guys in our group and they also all highly recommend it. Just need to pick a nice day for it! Goswick 4bbb open is a strong possibility too.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 11 Apr 2013, 9:45 am

So - been staying in Alnmouth this week. Weather has generally been a little chilly and a little breezy but no rain thus far despite poor forecasts earlier in the week.
Played at the wee 9-hole Village course (apparently England's oldest) on Monday afternoon. Fun little course with the first 5-holes in particular a nice wee challenge. Probably best day weather wise with the sun breaking through for the majority of the round. Lost a couple of balls but carded a pair of 39s which wasnt too displeasing off the back tees - par 71, the highlight holing a nice 25footer for eagle on the only Par 5 on the course.
Heading up to Embleton this afternoon for a round at Dunstanburgh Castle. Forecast for sunny spells - hoping they've got it right this time!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down