The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watching England game in USA

5 posters

Go down

Watching England game in USA Empty Watching England game in USA

Post by wasps Sat 09 Feb 2013, 12:35 am

Does anyone here watch the 6nations game in USA?
Apparently the Saturday games are being shown on BBC-USA (or something like that).
However the England game isn't being shown.

Does anyone know of a way to get the game out there?

Thank you

wasps

Back to top Go down

Watching England game in USA Empty Re: Watching England game in USA

Post by Pot Hale Sat 09 Feb 2013, 1:12 am

They're playing a team called Ireland.

I suspect that if you look for an Irish pub (just throw a stone in any direction), you'll find a place in the USA. It's not that big a place really.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by wolfball Sat 09 Feb 2013, 1:39 am

Heya, yeah we don't have much hope over here. I will be watching Italy Scotland on a dodgy stream, Wales France on BBC America, and Ire-Eng on Sunday in Patrick Kavanagh's (between 33-34 street on 3rd ave, NYC). Also, most places charge a $20 cover for the early opening hours so have cash if you can!

wolfball

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Feb 2013, 1:54 am

wasps wrote:Does anyone here watch the 6nations game in USA?
Apparently the Saturday games are being shown on BBC-USA (or something like that).
However the England game isn't being shown.

Does anyone know of a way to get the game out there?

Thank you

Doc Grey will know...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 09 Feb 2013, 2:39 am

Taylor,
Thanks for the credits. Here in the New Jersey we are in the midst of a decent sized snowstorm, expecting about one foot where I live. Up in New England (towards Boston and beyond) they are expecting around two feet, and maybe a bit more. Heck of a storm, great to be outside. As an orthopaedist, its also great for business, but I am not supposed to say things like that.......

As to the problems watching the Rugby here - blame the Irish! I wanted to say this for a while considering England play Ireland on Sunday. Why blame the Irish? Because the rights used to be owned in America by Setanta Sports USA (Setanta Sports is an Irish company). And they have left a mess behind them.

When Setanta USA went out of business the only profitable fragment was their pay-per-view sport business, Premium Sports, which still has the rights to the Six Nations in America. Premium Sports mandates that any venue showing their programming, in this case the Six Nations, must charge US$20 per viewer through the door for each day or each weekend, not sure which. That's where the USD$20 criminal charge comes from. That's also why BBC America doesn't show everything.

The easiest way to find a pub showing the full Six Nations is to go to the Premium Sports website and they should have a list. Go to 'find a venue' on the upper right side of the screen. I think you type in your zip code and they provide the list:
http://www.premiumsports.tv/rugby.html

I am not sure where in NYC to see the Six Nations, but just over the river in Hoboken is Mulligan's Pub (159 First Street in Hoboken - you can take the ferry).
If you are more adventurous, sojurn out to beautiful Parsippany, NJ to Blackthorn Pub on route 46 eastbound. They will be showing the Six Nations (charging $20 of course) and offering a proper breakfast. My club bases there during the Six Nations. Frequently on weekends, we play touch for an hour or so before the matches start. Not this weekend because of the snow, I presume.

The other thing you can do is download ExpatShield. This is basically an anti-tracking security program, whch functions like a vpn. It has the added benefit of giving a temporary UK IP address which allows you to watch BBC IPlayer as if you were back home. Even a computer illiterate like me downloaded and use it easily. The picture is excellent.

Hope this helps.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down