The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gatland's U-Turn

+14
Taylorman
wales606
Barney McGrew did it
dragonbreath
allyt2k
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Ospreydragon
majesticimperialman
yappysnap
thebluesmancometh
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
Scrumpy
Poorfour
18 posters

Go down

Gatland's U-Turn Empty Gatland's U-Turn

Post by Poorfour Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:05 am

Warren Gatland has changed his mind. Apparently Chris Robshaw has "reinvented himself" under the better refereeing standards of International rugby, and is now a proper 7.

Torygraph article

Apart from making WG look a bit silly (there have only been two England internationals between this and his previous comment, which suggests he wasn't really looking before), I think this does at least show he's not afraid to be proven wrong and has an open mind about selection.

It also hints at an important but under-appreciated aspect of Robshaw's game. I don't think he's reinvented himself; he has always had the ability to play different roles (to a high level) as the gameplan demands, which is a pretty rare talent.

Anyway, this throws the Lions back row and captaincy debate wide open again, at least until after Sunday's game...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Gatland's U-Turn Empty Re: Gatland's U-Turn

Post by Scrumpy Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am

I have to admit I wasn't sure about Robshaw but he keeps stepping up to the plate and performing.

Captain Fantastic.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:09 am

Robshaw was always going to be in the mix in what is a very highly contested back row.

As for the captaincy well Warburton is IMO not guaranteed a Lions spot at the moment let alone the captaincy.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 am

Must admit he has played very well. Mind you the same can not be said for the other international sevens in contention.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:18 am

I'm not sure if Robshaw has got better, but Warbs and Rennie are certainly playing themselves out of contention!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:19 am

Gatland was always going to have to come out with something like this after his initial comments, to be fair I can understand his original point of view even if I don't agree with it.

Robshaw will def tour, not sure if he'll make the test team though, can see him getting pipped to the 7 shirt by SOB.

A midweek backrow of 6. Robshaw 7. Tipuric 8. Morgan/Falatou would be interesting though.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 am

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'm not sure if Robshaw has got better, but Warbs and Rennie are certainly playing themselves out of contention!!!

He's not got any better, he's always been consistently among the top 2/3 players on the park, it's just that it's getting noticed a bit more now (thanks to the rest of the team, in particular Wood and Morgan).

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:23 am

Poorfour, I dont think it makes him look silly. If he was worried about that then he may have just stuck to his guns and ignored Robshaw so that he didnt look silly. However, I think this shows that Gatland is open to change and picking on form, something people have been wrongly worried about for the last year or so (from a lions perspective). People think Gatland is a picker of experience or reputation over form, but remember Gatland is also known for given relative unknowns their big break e.g. Many youngsters for Wales, O'Driscoll for Ireland, etc. (not saying that Robshaw is an unknown obviously).

Lets be honest too that plenty of English fans on here were questioning Robshaw's credentials after some of the losses and captain's decisions that they felt cost them matches recently. Gatland was probably just expressing a fairly popular view at the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:52 am

Griff, I think it says a lot for Gatland's integrity that he's admitted he's changed his mind. What looks silly is that there were only 2 internationals between the two statements. Long enough for a reappraisal, but not a reinvention.

and while some were questioning Robshaw's captaincy, no-one with any sense was questioning his individual game
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:51 am

Fair enough, but I think it shows guts to make a public u-turn. Gatland could have saved face by being stubborn, sticking to his guns, and perhaps not selecting Robshaw. Some credit due to Gatland then IMO (although he's not selected him yet!).

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:01 pm

I think Gatland only made the comment about Robshaw in the first place( not being the type of 7 we are looking for) was because he was hoping Warburton, Would be head and shoulders above Robshaw and would have selected him( Warburton) instead.

But since Gatland made that comment Warburtons form as gone down hill at a very fast rate of knotts.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:03 pm

There's plenty of games left in the 6N before the Lions captain and squad are chosen. It's all to play for and far too early to pick winners.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:05 pm

MAJ

His form hasn't dropped at all, he was injured for a long time and hasn't regained his form on return, he has been a lesse player post injury, theres a big difference.

Rennie is the 7 who has lost all form, and Robshaw has been consistently good, both Rennie and Warbs have played themselves out and Robshaw has stayed staeady IMO.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:32 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I think Gatland only made the comment about Robshaw in the first place( not being the type of 7 we are looking for) was because he was hoping Warburton, Would be head and shoulders above Robshaw and would have selected him( Warburton) instead.

But since Gatland made that comment Warburtons form as gone down hill at a very fast rate of knotts.

Sorry Madge, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Gatland wouldn't need to rubbish a player to justify him picking Warburton, if he was head and shoulders above Robshaw as you have said.

Well done Gatland for doing this. If nothing else, it should help alleviate any doubts that Gatland is definitely going to pick Warburton and it does show he is paying close attention to Robshaw.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:05 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:I'm not sure if Robshaw has got better, but Warbs and Rennie are certainly playing themselves out of contention!!!

Or rather NOT playing himself out of contention - he's injured!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by allyt2k Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Rennie hasn't played himself out of contention, he hasn't played cause he's injured

allyt2k

Back to top Go down

Post by dragonbreath Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:36 pm

If Robshaw captains the Lions I will cancel my my trip. He is a tidy journeyman playing his role in a well coached and schooled pack. He will be Ciaran Fitzgerald 11. BOD is the only man big enough and good enough for the job

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:41 pm

nonsense
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Lions captaincy

Gatland has concerns about BOD's ability to keep all in one piece for the 6 weeks and that may affect his choice

Gatland has stated he wants a natural 7, he could still select Robshaw, but he will have stiff competition from Tipuric and SOB.

Heaslip seems possible, but although he doesn't do much wrong, he doesn't get over the gainline or make as many tackles as Faletau or Beattie usually. His workrate and carrying both need to improve

Kelly Brown, captains Scotland but not really a standout in his position for the Lions.

Here's your outside bet folks, Ryan Jones 8 (c)

Very Happy

Actually Gatland has stated he will pick a tour captain but that will have no basis on who get selected and their will be a match captain - Still, it's likely to be the same guy.
I think it will be BOD.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Interesting conundrum. Pick a tour leader who might not be the best in the position or pick BOD because he'll likely play the tests.

Who are the first 5 MOST nailed Lions test positions at the moment? I'm assuming they will have been first choice for their country for at least the last two years.

Is there a single certain starter that all 4 countries agree with? BOD vs Tuilagi?

Flavell perhaps?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Healy and Best i think we mostly agree will be 2/3 of the front row!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:52 am

Theres no time on tour to ensure a captain has the right form so the player Gatland picks to captain must also be 95% certain of playing the tests. So he has to make decisions like- If BOD captains Tuilagi does not play 13- before the tour begins, and stick with it.

Soooo, because no one player stands out as both captain and their position, line up the favoured captains from 1-5, then pick the player MOST likely to play in the tests.

That allows the others to compete for their positions without the captaincy hat around the neck. The scenario of dropping captain BOD for the second test for Tuilagi is a nightmare one for the overall wellbeing of the side.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:13 am

I agree with the OP, however, I'm glad Gatland has effectively given himself 'wiggle room' to pick Robshaw.

The stand out consistency throughout the season has been Robshaw's great form not Gatland's views on the ideal 7 for the Lions.
Well done Gatland.

Tipuric was fairly anonymous in a strange flat game yesterday. Lets see how Robshaw & SOB perform today!

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:07 pm

dragonbreath wrote:If Robshaw captains the Lions I will cancel my my trip. He is a tidy journeyman playing his role in a well coached and schooled pack. He will be Ciaran Fitzgerald 11. BOD is the only man big enough and good enough for the job

He didn't look too shabby against the Irish back row today. For a journeyman, like. Just saying.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Poorfour wrote:
dragonbreath wrote:If Robshaw captains the Lions I will cancel my my trip. He is a tidy journeyman playing his role in a well coached and schooled pack. He will be Ciaran Fitzgerald 11. BOD is the only man big enough and good enough for the job

He didn't look too shabby against the Irish back row today. For a journeyman, like. Just saying.
Hmm, generous there, Poorfour - he certainly made plenty of tackles, but what else? Conor O'Shea commentatiing with RTE made him MoTM - obviously no bias there?! Wink And talk me thru his decision to have the penalty at the end kicked to touch - Ireland then still had time on the clock to get the ball back in play and could've gone on to win it. Why not just hand the ball to Farrell for the posts and run the clock down? Bizarre.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Because Ireland would get the ball to run back if he missed and the ball didn't go dead, by far the most likely probability at that range? Any other decision would have been idiotic
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:53 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Because Ireland would get the ball to run back if he missed and the ball didn't go dead, by far the most likely probability at that range? Any other decision would have been idiotic
Wasn't that difficult a shot, CJ, for old dead-eye Farrell? Wrong decision for me

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:13 pm

He's not got the longest range, I think it was near 50m with the angle?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:22 pm

Also, Farrell told him he'd prefer to kick for touch.

How much quick ball did Ireland get today? At the cost of how many kickable penalties? And how many of those rucks was Robshaw part of? He's not a flash player, but there's a heck of a lot of evidence that teams just go better when he's in 'em.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by hawalsh Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Farrell was right to say he preferred to kick for lineout. It wasn't a bankable shot and accurate or not it wouldn't have gone out of play. Safer to trust in your lineout to regain posession.

hawalsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Robshaw made 14 tackles (missed one. So did SOB who made 6) which was the most on the pitch, 7 carries for 15m and 5 passes. Pretty good considering the kind of match it was.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Stats also show Ashton had a shocker, game for wingers or not, making 0m in his 2 runs (Brown made 76 in 7, Goode 48 in 8), turning the ball over to the opposition once and giving away 2 penalties and making only 2 tackles to the 4 he missed
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by AlastairW Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:44 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Stats also show Ashton had a shocker, game for wingers or not, making 0m in his 2 runs (Brown made 76 in 7, Goode 48 in 8), turning the ball over to the opposition once and giving away 2 penalties and making only 2 tackles to the 4 he missed

just looked at the ESPN stats myself, and he really did have a shocker! Shocked

AlastairW

Location : Moustache twirling, cloak swishing, cackling evil English panto bad guy. The Great Destroyer of the HC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down