The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland post match discussion thread

+28
RuggerRadge2611
Tattie Scones RRN
Tramptastic
IanBru
Manky-Flanker
tigertattie
GLove39
reallybored
UlstermaninGlasgow
TJ1
21st Century Schizoid Man
alive555
aucklandlaurie
George Carlin
NeilyBroon
Imperialbigdave
sensisball
bsando
monty junior
Solid8
allyt2k
R!skysports
belovedfrosties
funnyExiledScot
MacKnocked-on
kiakahaaotearoa
RDW
32 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Scotland post match discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Scotland post match discussion thread

Post by RDW Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

1 Grant - 7

Good in the scrum, solid game

2 Ford - 6

Lots of work in the tight but still questionmarks on his throwing

3 Murray - 8

Good in the scrum and top tackle count in the game

4 Gray - 8

Very strong game with massive amount of physicallity - he's not running in from 40m but he's throwing his considerable size about the pitch, which is what we need him to do

5 Hamilton - 7

Much, much better. Looked puggled when he was subbed off having given everything. More of the same please!

6 Harley - 8

Great first start - the missing link in the back row recently. Allowed the rest of the forwards to do their thing with his tackling and ruck work

7 Brown - 7

Great workrate and good captain's performance

8 Beattie - 6

Looked like he took a bang before half time and thought he should have gone off. Quiet game and was AWOL for their try

9 Laidlaw - 8

Flawless kicking and a much better game at 9, dictating play

10 Jackson - 7

Much better and a lovely bit of play for Visser's try

11 Visser - 7

Fantastic individual try, needs to work on the rest of his game

12 Scott - 8

Best game for Scotland. Strong in defence, good in attack, excellent try and could have had 3

13 Lamont - 7

Much better game and well taken try. Still not a 13!

14 Maitland - 7

Such a skillful player - so glad he's playing for us

15 Hogg - 8

The Lions will be calling if he keeps this up

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland post match discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland post match discussion thread

Post by TJ1 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm 15 minutes in and have already counted 3 times that Laidlaw was the first man to the ruck and, despite being the smallest man on the pitch, put his body on the line to ensure we won the ruck.

For a tiny man he has massive heart and determination!

Yup - he really is determined and courageous.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Scotland post match discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Scotland post match discussion thread

Post by bsando Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:27 am

I saw Laidlaw make a big hit on an Italian player at some point.

There were several moments hilarity during that match. Gray vs botes, Laidlaw hitting ref in the head. Evan Murray making unusual facial gestures to camera when on bench.

I really want to see this Denton incident sounds hilarious! Was this on tv or at the game schizoid?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:42 am

Have to say I've been impressed with Laurence Dallaglio's punditry - he's been very fair and balanced.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

Interesting that KB was on the blindside and Harley on the openside for each scrum, despite having the opposite numbers on their backs?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Have to say I've been impressed with Laurence Dallaglio's punditry - he's been very fair and balanced.

He was certainly very popular at Wasps, until he started trying to play every position on the pitch!

I quite like Paterson's and Cusiter's input too, I think Paterson will become one of the major studio pundits before long, he's got a very nice TV manner!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:51 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:RD,

think you are a bit mean about Ross Ford (giving him a 6) who I thought had his best game in a Scotland shirt - awesome in the loose. Welcome back Ford.

Where is 21st and what have you done with him??? Shocked

Always constructive RD - you know me too well angel

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:54 am

Yeah Mossy is a fantastic pundit.

Hats off Bob Harley - didn't realise he knocked the ball out of Parisee's hands when they had that scrum on our 5m line in the second half.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 10 Feb 2013, 10:58 am

Agree that Mossy is class as a pundit, and it was funny listening to Nicol get put in his box by Dayglo. Cus didn't look too pleased at the highlights of 07...

Don't think too many changes are needed for Ireland, maybe Horne in for Lamont. Still if Ireland win today it'll be a tough match for both sides... Going to severely test my loyalties..........
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:01 am

Have to say I take it all back about Beattie - he put in a massive shift. Indeed I'm quite happy he spent his time throwing himself about in the rucks and putting in big hits instead of standing out in the backline.

Perhaps Dean Ryan gave him some home truths during the week?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:06 am

UiG - Ferrie/Smithers in the Herald was very confident in stating after the selection for the England game (where Horne ruled himself out due to his hand injury) that Horne was not in contention for the 13 shirt, only the 12 shirt.

Hard to see either Schlong or Scott being replaced now as both scored although I did notice Schlong's appalling try per test rate in the stats.

Dunbar is playing alongside G Dog against Zebre today and he'll be keen to make a statement, I'm sure.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:59 am

It'll be a very interesting selection debate when Rennie is fit, not sure I'd drop the Ninja.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:43 pm

I think this Duncan Taylor bloke would be a good option at 13 whilst Ansbro is recovering. He looked pretty s**t hot against Saxons!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sun 10 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

bsando wrote:I think this Duncan Taylor bloke would be a good option at 13 whilst Ansbro is recovering. He looked pretty s**t hot against Saxons!

Yes, let's drop Lamont for Duncan Taylor. What a brilliant idea.

idea

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:00 pm

Ireland looking rather unsparing so far. 6-0 down, 9 knock ons, Sexton off injured & Healey surely to be cited and miss the trip to Murrayfield.
All of which bodes well for us

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:48 pm

Tigertattie's fact of the week: Scotland have scored more tries this weekend than all the other teams combined.

Who'd have thunk'd it!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:50 pm

They've scored double the amount of tries than all other teams combined Tiger Shocked

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 4:58 pm

It's all set up now, after battering every team we'll have the best points difference. Wales will score a last minute try against England thus ruining their grand slam, Scotland will beat France, who will have Michalak at 10, Nallet at 12 and Servat at 13 by 40+ points, thus crowning us Six nations champions, Ryan will agree to stay and Johnson will get a proper hair cut.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

123456789 wrote:It's all set up now, after battering every team we'll have the best points difference. Wales will score a last minute try against England thus ruining their grand slam, Scotland will beat France, who will have Michalak at 10, Nallet at 12 and Servat at 13 by 40+ points, thus crowning us Six nations champions, Ryan will agree to stay and Johnson will get a proper hair cut.

Well we are second after that game today... I think this is surely a harbinger of the apocalypse?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:14 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
bsando wrote:I think this Duncan Taylor bloke would be a good option at 13 whilst Ansbro is recovering. He looked pretty s**t hot against Saxons!

Yes, let's drop Lamont for Duncan Taylor. What a brilliant idea.

idea

Been on phone to SJ, its a done deal! Wink

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:18 pm

Manky-Flanker wrote:They've scored double the amount of tries than all other teams combined Tiger Shocked
Shocked Very Happy Whisky

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:34 pm

Sexton doubtful, zebo out, Healy probably banned - Ireland maybe on the ropes a little bit!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:44 pm

do we have any injuries ?

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:44 pm

Scotland 2nd, Warriors 2nd - what a weekend Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

Nothing been said yet - Grant took a big knock so hope he's ok, especially with Murray unavailable.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:46 pm

Aye - fantastic win for the weedge clap

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Still wish that nutter Matawalu was Scottish. He was awesome in his own inimitable fashion today !

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:51 pm

I haven't seen the Glasgow game yet - it was a straight toss up between Ireland v England, Zebre v Glasgow and.... Star Trek III: The Search for Spock.

Lansdowne Road won out, but it was a close one.
picard
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 10 Feb 2013, 5:55 pm

Big wrong choice Ian. That (Ireland England)was duller than a wet weekend in the Western Isles - at least the bits I saw. Warriors Zebre was - a try fest (8 of them)-
the pick being the last by Peter Murchie. Mata is stone barking mad - what a player Erm

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:20 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Scotland 2nd, Warriors 2nd - what a weekend Yahoo

Plus we're top of the try scoring table! Very Happy

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:31 pm

Not sure I'll seek out the England-Ireland game.
Apparently the lowest scoring game since 6N began.
Looked 'orrible.

Besides, I really don't want to watch crucial Lions players sustain injuries (Sexton, Cole).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:36 pm

Some word on Irish injuries. Zebo to miss the Scotland game with a broken bone in his foot. Sexton also in doubt for Murrayfield. Plus surely Healy will be cited and miss the game as well.

GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 10 Feb 2013, 6:49 pm

What did Healy do? Missed the game

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:What did Healy do? Missed the game

Some rather obvious stamping

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:23 pm

As mentioned on another site, Edward Norton's stamp was less obvious.
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:43 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Scotland 2nd, Warriors 2nd - what a weekend Yahoo

Don't forget Edinburgh 2nd last! (or near enough) picard

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sun 10 Feb 2013, 7:47 pm

The dud BBC Rabo table was not even updated (at 6 pm anyway) - guess that is part of their propaganda campaign right enough Cool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:27 am

When they have poor games, lots of people are quick to criticise but personally, I thought the ref on Saturday had a great game. It was about the rugby and not himself clap

Fantastic result. Hopefully we can build on this and put Ireland away....then Wales and then who knows.....1999 anyone?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:43 am

Yes, ref was fantastic! Did very well, he was like a ghost. Shame linesman cocked up though...

So despite many (myself included) believing we would be in for a dire result vs Italy, Scotland really showed the world what this team are capable of. But it was but a tiny step forward...

Ireland up next, then Wales. Both have very strong defence's and will not be easy to open up. Especially Wales. I am wondering, can Scotland go on and win these next two games? Or will they fall back to old ways?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Feb 2013, 10:47 am

I really hope they don’t suddenly think they are world beaters – we need at least a similar performance to stand a chance against Ireland. So often in the past we’ve not built on performances like these because we suddenly think we’re world beaters and in the next game forget to do the very things that gave us the good win previously.

I suspect SJ and DR will keep them grounded, because they have a mighty task ahead of them now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:04 am

I haven't commented yet. Mostly because I am lap topless at the moment, instead of topless which will disapoint some and come as a massive relief for all others. I also point blankly refuse to post on an iPad... too cool for school.

What a display from Scotland, and the company at the match was spot on too, great banter with my friend FES.

What I liked about the game is the intent. Sure the stats show Italy were in posession and probably tried to play more rugby. What we basicly said was "here have the ball, you ain't getting through." It was superb to watch, we let italy throw themselves at our line and we threw everything right back at them. Harley was superb, and looked like seasoned veteran not a youngster who was earning his 2nd cap.

What's the most encouraging his how dangerous we looked when we had the ball. We attacked with real pace and threat and the Italians were looking a bit shell shocked after that 2nd try from Scott.

So.. how do I think we rated :

1 Grant - 9
He took an injury early on and soldiered on for 60 minutes and didn't give an inch to Castrogiovani who is one of the most destructive tightheads in the world.

2 Ford - 7
Better from the colossus from Kelso. He was part of a superb tight 5 who's pride was sorely dented at Twickenham and threw well in the lineouts. The 2 balls we lost can't be attributed to him, more to good Itallian spoiling.

3 Murray - 8
Top tackler, got through an insane amount of defensive work and the cornerstone for that fantastic penalty drawing Scrum in the 2nd half.

4 Gray - 8
Did everything a top class lock should, and he looked like a Giraffe hunting down a Zebra when he tackled the Itallian (who's name escapes me) out of the pitch after chasing down that kick.

5 Hamilton - 7.5
I like others were harsh on Hamilton, but he played well on Saturday, not as flashy as Gray but he did what he needed to do. I would rather he wasn't in the backline so often.

6. Harley - 9.5
The last time we had a player tackle this well was Jason White. Superb.

7. Brown - 8
Led from the front and didn't let up all match.

8 Beattie - 7
Not so noticable as usual, but still tackled well and showed his strength in the couple of carries he made.

9 Laidlaw - 9
MOTM performance, flawless kicking, marshalled the pack well and pu in a thumping hit on his opposit number. Our own petit général.

10 Jackson - 8
People were asking questions, he gave answers. What was the difference between BOD's pass that had the pundits swooning last week and Jacksons pass to Visser this week? Reputation... nothing more. He passed well, kicked for territory well and made a decent few breaks. More of the same please.

11 Visser - 7
Took his try well... doesn't do much else but we defended well and Visser was a part of that.

12 Scott - 8.5
His best game for Scotland and he got a great try.

13 Lamont - 7.5
Not a 13... ok I have done that to death, but he got through a truck load of work and was like a piece of Granite in defence. Also the bulk of Scotland's inexperienced players would have given up on that ruck, not SLamont, he hacked it through and gathered well to score.

14 Maitland - 8.5
We needed a player like him.

15 Hogg - 10
When was the last time we had a full back like this? Andy Irvine incarnate.

I have never felt so good after a game at Murrayfield. Now we welcome our Irish brothers who will be smarting after the England game. They will be missing Zebo, possibly Sexton, Healy and BOD. I fancy our chances for once!

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 11 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

Good summary Radge, although nearly ruined but putting images of you topless in our minds! Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:10 pm

Radge

Good summary, but I think the scores as way too high

We were better certainly, but to have 10's in the score sheet - not sure that is correct

Anyway, I am just a born pesimist :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:13 pm

If you can tell me why Hogg doesn't deserve a 10, I'll change my rating. His decision making was superb, he kicked when he had to and ran when he could.

He was safe under the high ball and read the game like a book to make that intercept. He was brilliant.

thumbsup
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:24 pm

I'm really convinced that for the first time since I've come to Glasgow, I'm going to see Ireland lose to Scotland... Radge will start, we'll kick everything to Hoggy and Sean and they'll waltz through Earls and Radge and score a hat-trick each...

Jesus these exam nerves are getting to me!
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:26 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I'm really convinced that for the first time since I've come to Glasgow, I'm going to see Ireland lose to Scotland... Radge will start, we'll kick everything to Hoggy and Sean and they'll waltz through Earls and Radge and score a hat-trick each...

I'm Playing for Ireland? Beside Earls? I know you guys would struggle for players behind Sexton but surely I'm not eligible? kiss

I was also a tighthead prop! Not exacly renowned for my flair and turn of pace... at least my coaches could never see my natural gifts, I'm glad you do Ulsterman!

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Solid8 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:If you can tell me why Hogg doesn't deserve a 10, I'll change my rating. His decision making was superb, he kicked when he had to and ran when he could.

He was safe under the high ball and read the game like a book to make that intercept. He was brilliant.

thumbsup

Hogg was fantastic no doubt about it and while his game was near faultless I personally don't think he merits a 10 because a player of his age is not yet the finished article. He can and hopefully will improve a 10 should only be given, in my opinion, to a career defining performance and he has another fiveish years before he will be at the peak of his development curve. What an exciting prospect that is!

Solid8

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

You can't say you are not worth of a 10 because you are young.

In the window of the performance he was flawless.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Mon 11 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I'm really convinced that for the first time since I've come to Glasgow, I'm going to see Ireland lose to Scotland... Radge will start, we'll kick everything to Hoggy and Sean and they'll waltz through Earls and Radge and score a hat-trick each...

I'm Playing for Ireland? Beside Earls? I know you guys would struggle for players behind Sexton but surely I'm not eligible? kiss

I was also a tighthead prop! Not exacly renowned for my flair and turn of pace... at least my coaches could never see my natural gifts, I'm glad you do Ulsterman!

Haha Radge even you would be a better option than the shell of a player that is Ronan O'Gara... Seriously I think we'll get pumped.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 11 Feb 2013, 1:22 pm

My concern about the Ireland game is that I can't see Ireland, or rather certain key individuals within their team, playing so poorly.

It'll certainly be a huge blow to them if they lose Healy and Sexton against us, possibly the two key players I'd choose to be missing from a Scots perspective, but bear in mind that Tom Court will likely replace Healy, and Court is an excellent scrummager these days, and despite his limitations, I'll never be happy to see ROG on the team sheet against Scotland. He's kicked us to pieces on too many occassions.

Ireland won't get pumped. Far too much savvy at the breakdown, lineout and scrum for that. Ireland do need their big game players to step up though, particularly in the forwards. Heaslip was utterly dreadful yesterday, and I struggle to think of McCarthy as a test lock.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Mon 11 Feb 2013, 1:38 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:My concern about the Ireland game is that I can't see Ireland, or rather certain key individuals within their team, playing so poorly.

It'll certainly be a huge blow to them if they lose Healy and Sexton against us, possibly the two key players I'd choose to be missing from a Scots perspective, but bear in mind that Tom Court will likely replace Healy, and Court is an excellent scrummager these days, and despite his limitations, I'll never be happy to see ROG on the team sheet against Scotland. He's kicked us to pieces on too many occassions.

Ireland won't get pumped. Far too much savvy cheating at the breakdown and savvy at the lineout and scrum for that. Ireland do need their big game players to step up though, particularly in the forwards. Heaslip was utterly dreadful yesterday, and I struggle to think of McCarthy as a test lock.

OK

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next