The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't make head or tail of this year

+3
kiakahaaotearoa
captain carrantuohil
7 posters

Go down

Can't make head or tail of this year Empty Can't make head or tail of this year

Post by captain carrantuohil Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:42 pm

Can anyone tell me what's happening this year? There is no pattern at all. Wales, no defence one week, utterly impregnable the next. Italy play virtually error-free rugby and follow it with a succession of schoolboy howlers. Scotland appear to go into battle without their front five in week one; they're all lions seven days later.

Only the French show any consistency at all - and it's a cloying sort of consistent mediocrity and lack of ambition which we don't associate with them at all and is light years removed from their autumn performances.

It's why we all love the 6 Nations, of course, but does anyone know what this all means? Where does NH rugby stand at the moment?

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Can't make head or tail of this year Empty Re: Can't make head or tail of this year

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:46 pm

I don't know. It didn't take long for the warm fuzzy feelings of last weekend to dissipate. England appear to be be building nicely, Ireland can be hot and cold, Wales can play like they did last year if they have to, Scotland is adjusting to playing with more attacking intent and not losing their traditional strength up front and on defence, Italy are a force to be reckoned with at home but need to learn how to travel and France are flattering to deceive.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Can't make head or tail of this year Empty Re: Can't make head or tail of this year

Post by 123456789 Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:54 pm

I think the standard of all the teams has increased, except France and Wales, they are playing a brand of rugby that we normally associate with the southern hemisphere. France and Wales are determined to try to play with slow ball.

By the way, thank you very much for Sean Maitland, he's been fantastic.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

A brand of rugby associated with the southern hemisphere? What do you mean by that? Defence oriented? Mediocre? Lacking confidence? Impotent on attack?

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 09 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:A brand of rugby associated with the southern hemisphere? What do you mean by that? Defence oriented? Mediocre? Lacking confidence? Impotent on attack?

I meant the others not France and Wales. They are playing rugby normally associated with lower league 5th teams

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Feb 2013, 11:48 pm

Fair enough mate. Don't think France or Wales are that bad. They're just not clicking at the moment.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:22 am

Glimpses of an 'SH brand of rugby' with Scotland I thought... taking ruthless advantage of broken field play, punishing mistakes, etc which was good to see. But yeah, it is a bit of a stretch to make the comparison. Wink

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 10 Feb 2013, 12:31 am

The standard hasn't really increased, but the margins between the teams are very narrow and have been for a few years.

Whichever team turns up, makes few mistakes and is clinical wit their finishing will win.

I expect all teams will have their ups and downs this season.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:04 am

Shifty wrote:The standard hasn't really increased, but the margins between the teams are very narrow and have been for a few years.

Whichever team turns up, makes few mistakes and is clinical wit their finishing will win.

I expect all teams will have their ups and downs this season.

Pretty much bang on I'd say

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Sun 10 Feb 2013, 11:22 am

Yeah there isn't much to choose between all teams on a particular day. Next set of games will see France beat England in a display of flair and magic, Italy will break Wales' hearts by scoring 4 trys and winning in rome and Scotland will turn Ireland over and provide most of the B&I Lions... Very Happy

It could happen ya know...
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down