The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European Tour - Africa Open

+6
themightyone
pedro
McLaren
super_realist
kwinigolfer
princedracula
10 posters

Go down

European Tour - Africa Open Empty European Tour - Africa Open

Post by princedracula Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:12 pm

This is a truly African week for the European Tour, with both the Challenge Tour and the main tour events being staged over there, in Kenya and South Africa, respectively.

Africa Open is hosted by the East London GC and has a very short history, with the previous three events being won by the two local 'kings' and very good friends, Oosthuizen (2) and Schwartzel (1). Not a big event at the best of times, there is obviously going to be even less interest in it this year due mainly to its proximity to next week's Match Play event in Arizona for which a record number of top Saffers have qualified this time around. As a result, the top ranked player in the field will be FA Hed from Sweden at #97, so it's going to be a great oportunity for a lot of relatively new, aspiring guys out there to make an impact this week, i.e. guys like Fleetwood, Gagli, Kieffer and especially R. Santos who has been in excellent form over the last 2-3 months. He finished top 30 in all th etournaments since the Hong Kong Open in mid November and was in the top 10 in 3 of the last 4 events. Last week, if you exclude the top form players like Sterne and Schwartzel, he could've/would've won the event in Johannesburg. Then you are always likely to find a few players who have been struggling for a while with their form and are looking at low key events like this as a good oportunity to regain some confidence by playing against a weaker field, or indeed, simply because they're not in a position to get access into the biger events... and in that category we have guys like Luiten, Rock, Aiken and even young Tom Lewis, who seems to be on an ascending path once again over the last few weeks... But then, it's South Africa, and as we've seen last week, there is a good chance that we may see once again at the top of the leaderboard a whole bunch of very capable locals, from their 2nd echelon, very much pumped and inspired by the great successes of their top co-nationals...

Somewhat surprised to see that some people who have been in good form recently and who could still have a decent chance to qualify for Doral via the top 10 R2D, such as Webster and Aguilar, are not playing this week. One more reason for Santos to have a good go this week and use this nice run of very good form to move to the next level (i.e. top 100, WGC Cadillac, etc...).

princedracula

Back to top Go down

European Tour - Africa Open Empty Re: European Tour - Africa Open

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

It's a shame that, by definition, this has to be a second- or third-tier event, what with finishing in East London on Sunday and the MatchPlay starting in Arizona on Wednesday morning.
Certainly haven't flown everywhere, but always felt the jet-lag from SA to USA (and vice-versa) was brutal, the worst I've experienced.
Would be good to see some of the better players contest the finish though, those you mention, pd, in sore need of a boost to their career. thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Wed 13 Feb 2013, 12:37 pm

Cheers kwini. Jet lag seems to be indeed a concern for the Saffers going to US. Heard king Charl answering a queastion the other day in LA saying that the only opponent he fears this week at Riviera will be the jet lag...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:13 am

Not a happy St. Valentine's Day down in South Africa and I don't think they'll be paying too much attention to the golf there by the looks of things...

Solid start from one of the local favorites, J. Van Zyl, but I'm begining to have some doubts that Robert Rock's form will improve any time soon, hope I'm wrong though... Decent start for Luiten...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:32 am

Not a happy Valentines Day for Oscar Pretorius' girlfriend. Springbok

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:56 am

The thing is he must have had to get up, put his legs on and go find a gun, all of which you would imagine would take a while.

At this point she still hasn't called out to say hi , and presumably not bothered to put any lights on, or he hasn't noticed it is his girlfriend. He then see's the silhouette of a hot blond and shoots her in the face.

Last edited by McLaren on Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : inappropriate comment)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:59 am

McLaren wrote:The thing is he must have had to get up, put his legs on and go find a gun, all of which you would imagine would take a while.

At this point she still hasn't called out to say hi , and presumably not bothered to put any lights on, or he hasn't noticed it is his girlfriend. He then see's the silhouette of a hot blond and shoots her in the face.

Just had a joke in.

Apparently he was legless when he shot her. Whistle

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:01 am

When she asked for a mind blowing experience of valentines day......
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 14 Feb 2013, 9:43 am

Sad. She probably just wanted to pull a leg. Instead he'll now be known as Pistolius.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Thu 14 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

Solid day for Luiten except for the last three holes as he managed a bogey, triple bogey and bogey finish. Wonder whether that has got anything to do with play being suspended. Seems to be a little unfair for the players out when that happened in case the players will continue in calmer conditions later today or tomorrow. Anyone any suggestion how to prevent that from happening? Restart?

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:07 pm

pedro wrote:Sad. She probably just wanted to pull a leg. Instead he'll now be known as Pistolius.
Apparently it's a cut-and-dried case, he hasn't got a leg to stand on.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't try and surprise
Oscar Pistorius

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 14 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

According to an old interview Pistolius is a marksman and sleeps with a small arsenal next to his bed. Not the type you'd want to surprise at 4 a.m. Other reports suggest past domestic violence in the house, so maybe the story has more to it.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

BC clap

Sure someone with more time on their hands than me will muse some new lyrics for Uprising.

Is John Parry going to be a top golfer? Early win, doldrums, off the Tour and now looking competitive again.

More misery for Dougherty and Storm will need another 62 to reach the weekend!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 14 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

Parry is a definite top level possible -sullivan steady again-rock disapointing.Had an interesting conversation yesterday with a pro who played the BMW last year.Essentially one bad shot cost -didnt make the cut ,
Different level but gave me an insight ,

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:07 am

Not quite sure what happened to Parry after his rapid rise during his rookie year in 2010 when he got that first win on tour and came pretty close to the top 100 in the rankings... was it an injury, or just a slump?

Amazing round of 62 by Da Silva, the 41-year-old veteran from Brazil. Just looked up at his carreer and he only had 2 top 10 finishes in over 17 years on the ET, but then he had 10 wins on the Sunshine Tour so there's no real surprise if you look at it from that angle...

Leading by a whooping 5 shots at the moment from Van Zyl and Ignacio Garrido of Spain, who's having a pretty hot start together with R. Santos today...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:01 am

Whatever happened to Kenny Ferrie?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

"She will not control us
We will be Pistorius"

I personally prefer the to be confirned anecdote that Oscar was calling himself the Pistorius B.I.G. lately, so could have seen that one cummings

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:23 pm

I see Albert Pistorius is in the field for the next African tournament, in a fortnight's time.
I'm so sorry, Uncle Albert,
I'm so sorry if I ever caused you pain,
But there's no-one left at home,
And I believe I'm gonna rain.
Love, Oscar

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by themightyone Fri 15 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Luiten starting well today, -3 after 5. Interesting to see if he can go really low today

themightyone

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 15 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Kenneth Ferrie I think he went for lunch a couple of times with Mr Lowry
(ha matchstick men)and that was that.Just goes to show the fine margin in this game.Dougherty,Archer,Campbell spring to mind

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:37 pm

More good work by Messrs Parry, Sullivan and Fleetwood.
A "Made Cut" for McGowan, but not so good for Tom Lewis, Maybin or Rock.

154th and propping up the field must be humiliating for Dougherty.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Fri 15 Feb 2013, 5:54 pm

And an eagle at the 15th hole saved one of the favorites, Aiken, from an embarassing early exit.

Great to see another almost out of nowhere top 10 performance (as the top 10 he scored at Wentworth last year) from the Cork/Waterville veteran David Higgins...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Fri 15 Feb 2013, 9:13 pm

Sullivan managed to chuck a triple into his round,Kwini the three you mention have a common thing all very good amateur careers.
Early night game on tomorrow

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 16 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

Not a bad field in Kenya for the Challenge Tour event - but desperately sad to see Rhys Davies missing the cut.
Will he be the next version of Nick Dougherty?

And Ricardo Santos not doing enough in East London to harbour serious hopes of playing in the Cadillac.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sat 16 Feb 2013, 8:48 pm

Not a great week for me on the Fantasy Team here. Just decided to drop this time Fichardt and Bourdy after they didn't do anything spectacular for me last week... picard

Once again the South Americans doing very well in South Africa...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:30 pm

princedracula wrote:...Just decided to drop this time Fichardt and Bourdy after they didn't do anything spectacular for me last week... picard
Doh picard steam furious Crying or Very sad

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by princedracula Sun 17 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

Fichardt doing all he can to lose this at the end, but Van Zyl just not 'helping' him enough...

princedracula

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 17 Feb 2013, 3:26 pm

Just watching this an hour or two behind. There is a flag on 6th which looks to about about 2 fairy steps from right edge and one giant step from back edge. Not sure I've seen one positioned like it, ever!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down