The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ.

+8
robshaw4england
ME-109
nganboy
aitchw
emack2
kiakahaaotearoa
GunsGerms
disneychilly
12 posters

Go down

Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ. Empty Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ.

Post by disneychilly Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:28 pm

What it says on the tin. Understand his decision as being so injury prone would give you half a mind to cash in early and the Japanese league isn't nearly as taxing but this is a massive blow as the guy is truly world class. I don't see him as a wing but the heir apparent to Conrad Smith. He was snapping at Smith's heels whenever fit which was great-he was pretty close to usurping Smith-and it was nice to see him stay fit for the World Cup but this is a big blow to NZ's hopes of staying top of the tree I feel. The younger guys are still too raw for me and the Nonu/Smith axis won't be together forever. Let's hope that SBW's latest dalliance will tell him that he should stick to the oval ball and then get him back to union but NZ rugby can't bank on that and I'd say the NZ midfield stocks are looking a bit thin outside our premier pairing. Thoughts?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ. Empty Re: Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ.

Post by GunsGerms Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:31 pm

Surely Conrad Smith has another couple of years in him? Hes only 31. Nono himself just 30. Im sure 2 years is enough for another young centre pairing to emerge in NZ.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ. Empty Re: Richard Kahui off to Japan. Big blow for NZ.

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:38 pm

But experience and cover can't be replaced just like that GG. What if BOD gets injured this 6N? You're pretty thin on cover and we've been talking about life after BOD for quite some time and there isn't an heir apparent. It's a similar situation in NZ. Ben Smith can play OC and Tamati Ellison has looked good in his brief outings but there really isn't a lot of names leaping out of the hat at the moment. Two years won't necessarily change that but I hope it does.

We already lost Juan Smith and now another classy injury prone player is leaving. Some people just don't have luck with injuries.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:46 pm

Yeah there is nothing worse when a great player has to hang up the boots early. I was really disapointed when Jerry Flannery retired as it just seemed too early for the big man to go. Also in the Ireland team Stephen Ferris, who I consider on of my favorite players of all time has been plagued with injury as has POC. However, I was really really disapointed when the great Simon Geoghegan had to hang up his boots due to chronic toe injuries.

Sometimes though when one player goes strengths appear where they werent expected that balance things out.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:47 pm

It seems that a lot of players are maybe taking a gap year for cash hoping to be back in contention for 2015.Thomson,Kahui,SBW.Kaino all could be at least squad members 2015.Kahui was rated one of if not the best 13 in NZ when FIT for years.He was rated even before Conrad Smith was but his injury record?like Colin Slade and Corry Flynn.Perhaps he sees himself earning cash and staying injury free in a softer environment before hopefully returning for the big one.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Wed 13 Feb 2013, 1:48 pm

Whilst I can understand your disappointment I have absolutely no doubt that your system will already have the next in line developing nicely, maybe not quite there yet. Sometimes a crisis can bring people on faster. Lancaster has given a lot of young players their chance and some seemed doubtful choices at international level but mostly they are coming good. Can't believe there aren't players there that would respond to the challenge.

If his motive for going is a genuine concern for long term future at the top level because of the risk of injury ending his carreer I can't blame him for seeking a way of playing for longer and capitalising on his skills for as long as possible.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:17 am

A big blow sort of - but because of his injuries it means that him being overseas hasn't actually reduced his availability all that much anyway.
A real pity because I have always rated him highly. He's never let us down on the field regardless of what position he was played at.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Thu 14 Feb 2013, 12:27 am

Oh ffs.. All that will happen is Conrad and a sheep will be cloned and a new super brilliant center will be created .guess what nobody will know the difference as the ABs will just steamroll everyone untill the next world cup where France will beat them or get robbed by the ref

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by robshaw4england Thu 14 Feb 2013, 2:43 am

*ROBBIE FRUEAN*

robshaw4england

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 14 Feb 2013, 4:20 am

Nah, I dont see this as a big problem at all, with Tamati Ellison and Francis Saili waiting to fill any All Black centre vacany we will be fine. plus Kahui has had four major surgical operations on his shoulders and he will be back in 2015.

Apparently the money that Toshiba are paying is stunning money.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 14 Feb 2013, 7:58 pm

Odd how the crowds are never much in the Jap league games. They cant be paying for all this salary- apparently the most lucrative in the world.

For me Kahui just falls into the 'always getting injured easily' mould and I cant get too excited about players who are mostly out rather than in. Kahui's been brilliant at times but has never been key in the more important tests and has never been around long enough to establish any sort of form or consistency. I simply wait for the next injury every time he hits the ground and once while expecting it, sure enough, it happened.

Some people are just not built for the game. In Japan he'll need to be that much faster with his size but perhaps he'll take less knocks.

I have the same opinion on Colin Slade and more recently Johan Goosen who is apparently replaced through injury in 1 in every 3 matches.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:15 pm

Fruan is still a contender, and potentially a monster to fill in for NZ.

Then SBW will be back at some time?

Like wise i'm sure the NZ Maori, U20 and U18's have a whole heap of world class centres waiting to be unleashed on us poor mortals in the NH.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:22 pm

Ha we got thumped by said poor mortals last game!

Freuan would be a stop gap at most. Beside his heart issue his defensive alignment is a real problem that intelligent backlines would exploit ruthlessly.

I'm wondering with the sparse crowds in Japan how their rugby competition is economically viable in the long run.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:27 pm

I've heard Fruen has to managed during games due to his previous condition, I can't see helping his AB case.

I really like Saili who's just making his mark or Piutau could be a potential star in any of the backs positions.

Isn't Dagg playing 13 atm?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 14 Feb 2013, 8:28 pm

It probably isn't viable in the long run, but then as long as they're happy to lose the money (company expenses etc...) it might not be a problem to them.

Or the tickets might just cost an utter bomb.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Feb 2013, 11:31 am

Dagg's been 13 in the preseason. Hopefully that's stopgap as I never want to see him in a black 13 shirt ever. The last three World Cups that NZ cocked up involved having fullbacks at 13.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 15 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

Amen dc. I could stomach him on the wing and even goalkicking (just don't put him at 10 like Beale) but no fudging way at centre. mad

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 15 Feb 2013, 7:02 pm

disneychilly wrote:Dagg's been 13 in the preseason. Hopefully that's stopgap as I never want to see him in a black 13 shirt ever. The last three World Cups that NZ cocked up involved having fullbacks at 13.

Dead right there disney. Wrong temperament for 13.
Hes a flighty player that needs to float and find his own way around the paddock.

Centre needs more control of the space around him, particularly on defence. His flair would be stifled.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 16 Feb 2013, 6:29 am

disneychilly wrote:Ha we got thumped by said poor mortals last game!

Freuan would be a stop gap at most. Beside his heart issue his defensive alignment is a real problem that intelligent backlines would exploit ruthlessly.

I'm wondering with the sparse crowds in Japan how their rugby competition is economically viable in the long run.

Disney, When you have teams in your main competition with names like, Toshiba, Panasonic, Kobe, Mitsubishi, Toyota, etc and remember they own the clubs theyre not just sponsors, then I doubt if theyve ever had to hold a chook raffle to pay next weeks power bill.

Now Im really worried about New Zealand coaches playing "anyone" at centre, Sir JK (and Ted) have had Renee Ranger running at centre all week, utter craziness...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 18 Feb 2013, 2:39 am

People can learn to play a new position. Umaga started at wing and he did alright and 12 and 13. So if Dagg started now he could possibly learn the job. However, I agree there is no point in doing that.

I've no time for Fruean as a AB but Ellison could do the job (though not amazing).

I reckon Kahui could be back and fully recovered by the end of next year. Fit and uninjured. We're treating Japan as a rehab centre ala Leon MacDonald (coincidently another fullback turned centre)
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down