The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brian Langford

4 posters

Go down

Brian Langford Empty Brian Langford

Post by guildfordbat Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:31 am

I was sorry to read today of the death of Brian Langford at 77.

A stalwart of the county game and particularly Somerset CCC. He played for Somerset, his only county, for over twenty years from the early 1950s to the mid 1970s. A more than useful off spinner although never seriously considered for Test cricket as far as I'm aware. Not too surprising given the likes of Jim Laker, Fred Titmus and Ray Illingworth were between them always blocking his path. However, he certainly did a decent job for his county side and left one legacy that can never be bettered.

Over 1,400 first class wickets from 510 matches at an average just below 25 and an economy rate around 2.3 may not suggest a star but point to a reliability that merits respect.

His legacy was set in 1969 during the first year of the John Player League, a 40 over Sunday competition played each week through the season. Playing against Essex at Yeovil, his bowling spell consisted of eight successive maiden overs. It was considered remarkable at the time and now, in an age of greater hitting, seems utterly incredible.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Brian Langford Empty Re: Brian Langford

Post by gboycottnut Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:01 am

Hardly surprising that Brian Langford never achieved test status as he played for a county which at that time wasn't considered as one of the top counties in English cricket. His spin bowling rivals Jim Laker, Tony Lock played for Surrey, and Ray Illingworth played for Yorkshire.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 am

Guildford - thanks. I have only hazy memories. I suppose he must have played alongside Virgin, Kitchen, and Fred Rumsey.....

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:42 am

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Guildford - thanks. I have only hazy memories. I suppose he must have played alongside Virgin, Kitchen, and Fred Rumsey.....
That's right, Corporal. Plus towards the end of his career - Close, Greg Chappell and a very young Botham.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:37 am

guildford,
Yes, indeed I remember Brian Langford, had missed this thread.

gboycottnut sadly epitomises the nonsensical attitude of England Test selectors of the day, though it is only fair to point out that two of Langford's rivals, David Allen and John Mortimore, had their chances playing for an almost-as-neglected Gloucestershire. Not really sure that Langford was ever really quite of Test calibre.

It is a shame that County Cricket is so summarily dismissed during the Hall Of Fame debates - as it is, the Telegraph confirms that Langford played more times for the Wurzels than anyone else, and captured third most wickets.

Thanks for bringing this departure to our attention, guildford. thumbsup

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down