The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Announcement by Sony on the 20th

+6
Hero
Adam D
Bull
Duty281
B91212
pscott
10 posters

Go down

Announcement by Sony on the 20th Empty Announcement by Sony on the 20th

Post by pscott Sun 17 Feb 2013, 11:46 am

Hi there folks , you probably already know that Sony are doing an announcement, the word is that they will be announcing the PS4, or Orbis whatever its going to be called.

Have you heard anything else? Are you looking forward to it?

Obviously this gen has been on the go for a few years, are we due our upgrades?

Other rumour is that US and Japan will be getting it first and we will be 2014.

Apologies if this is on somewhere else , I couldn't see anything.

Cheers

pscott

Back to top Go down

Announcement by Sony on the 20th Empty Re: Announcement by Sony on the 20th

Post by B91212 Tue 19 Feb 2013, 7:30 pm

Pretty interested to see what they have to say. If only 25% of the rumors of the new 720 (or whatever the code name is for now) are true then it looks like I may be purchasing my first PlayStation since the PS1.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Wed 20 Feb 2013, 8:45 am

Is that because of the stuff about it not being able to play preowned games?

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm

PS4 is going to be launched tonight apparently, and will probably be released for Christmas. £270 is the estimated price tag. Microsoft aren't launching their rival console until June.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

thats a lie ^ why would it be 270pounds if the ps3 when first released was 350?

wont be the PS4 they will talk/show the PlayStation cloud thing and i will guarantee you the PS4 wont be out here till 2014.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:47 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:thats a lie ^ why would it be 270pounds if the ps3 when first released was 350?

wont be the PS4 they will talk/show the PlayStation cloud thing and i will guarantee you the PS4 wont be out here till 2014.

Why is it a lie?

Plasma TVs were in the 1000s when they first came out and look at them now -better specs and a fraction of the price.

Technology moves on, times are tight and Sony might have priced the new machine to take market share.

To say its a lie is ridiculous.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Wed 20 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

its a lie due to other rumors suggesting that it will be priced at 500dollars which = 326pounds.

the Sony console will be the most expensive and will be above 300pounds when it is first released.

to take the market share no sony is in financial trouble they need money the price will be above 300.

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 20 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

The consoles themselves are initially sold at a premium without question, that's to acquire the initial rush of a minority that are basically willing to pay whatever the cost to acquire the product, its simply a must have and they're the guys that queue up at midnight.

After the initial rush then the product drops in price to acquire the market share, as sales drop and depreciation in the prodcut occurs then the price continues to fall at a point where the cost of the console is at a loss but it of course is backed by them then reinforcing the purchase afterwards with online subscriptions and game purchases from which they take a cut.

Last time with the PS3 there was a huge outcry with the intitial cost of the console, but there's rumours that the cost this time round will be dropped as they look to improve long term income through changing their subscription service to one akin to Xbox's offering with the Gold account which then allows them to offer the console at a loss leader from the off but in their eyes aims to gain a bigger market share as market front runner which they never had last time round.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 20 Feb 2013, 1:11 pm

TheBrahmaBull wrote:its a lie due to other rumors suggesting that it will be priced at 500dollars which = 326pounds.

the Sony console will be the most expensive and will be above 300pounds when it is first released.

to take the market share no sony is in financial trouble they need money the price will be above 300.

I sometimes despair in having to try and reason with you.

How can you take one rumour over another? Its not like its been presented as fact. To call him a liar is ridiculous!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Wed 20 Feb 2013, 1:43 pm

Hero wrote:The consoles themselves are initially sold at a premium without question, that's to acquire the initial rush of a minority that are basically willing to pay whatever the cost to acquire the product, its simply a must have and they're the guys that queue up at midnight.

After the initial rush then the product drops in price to acquire the market share, as sales drop and depreciation in the prodcut occurs then the price continues to fall at a point where the cost of the console is at a loss but it of course is backed by them then reinforcing the purchase afterwards with online subscriptions and game purchases from which they take a cut.

Last time with the PS3 there was a huge outcry with the intitial cost of the console, but there's rumours that the cost this time round will be dropped as they look to improve long term income through changing their subscription service to one akin to Xbox's offering with the Gold account which then allows them to offer the console at a loss leader from the off but in their eyes aims to gain a bigger market share as market front runner which they never had last time round.

Probably the most likely scenario.

Hopefully it won't be as disappointing as the iPad Mini announcement!

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 20 Feb 2013, 4:41 pm

pscott wrote:Is that because of the stuff about it not being able to play preowned games?
It's one reason yes, although there is another. I don't buy pre-owned games but I do lend & borrow within a group of friends (so basically the same thing) games that I generally wouldn't buy myself so it would put a stop to that. Recent 'leaks' have the processor spec on the new xbox much lower than was originally thought and now lower than the PS4. Again this is of course all currently rumours only but if true then seeing as the technology involved is continually evolving (ie improving) then the hardware of a console becomes out dated pretty quickly, so I want the best spec possible available to me at the time of purchase.

Will not be selling my 360 so needing the new model to play my existing xbox games will not be an issue. As Hero mentions, I won't be one of minority who rushes out to buy one upon release and will instead wait to see how they actually preform for people before making my final decision, probably initially saving a few $$ in the process.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Wed 20 Feb 2013, 4:52 pm

Another rumour ( again ) is that it can be cheaper to launch due to Sony trying to be a bit more sensible, with the insides of the new machine. The PS3 is known to be a bit awkward.

Sony patented a thing to link a game disc with a specific machine as well so who knows.

I've been brainwashing myself to think if it comes out here in 2014 but in other regions in 2013 at least it should have more games?

I'd imagine both machines will have Blurays?

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Wed 20 Feb 2013, 5:17 pm

Read that the new xbox will be blue-ray this time but I'm not techie enough to really know how that will relate to the actual games themselves, it will give people another format to watch the blue-ray dvd's on but how many people don't have an actual blue-ray player in the home today?.

Really hope that Sony don't the do the disk to console link but I guess if they both do it then short of boycotting both machines then there isn't much can be done (I would consider it though and from what I've read I wouldn't be the only one).

Did read somewhere that they are supposed to releasing the PS4 here in North America and Japan/Asia before Christmas this year but only if they are confident of knowing the new xbox spec (in case they have to make revisions prior to production). Like you say, if that happens then it should mean a decent amount of games already available on the PS4 when or if it releases in Europe in Q1 2014.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Wed 20 Feb 2013, 7:35 pm

I think maybe BluRay just means you can fit a lot more info on it. There were a couple of multiformat releases that are on one disc for PS4 and two on Xbox. Battlefield 3 was one.

With more grunt we'll need more info.

I think we might just end of with some videos tonight and some dates.

Did any of you see 'prototype' new version of the dualshock?

I've tried to post an image that didn't work so I've put this on, good luck.
Is there step by step instructions on how to attach images, one for an idiot?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnUMt2oIBEJ0qTwrG9eRHioDpCHO6hZ5hSIqDKeuI_OOpMg_hH2mpRWg

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:48 am

So the info is out, sort of anyway Rolling Eyes. No price or release date yet but some promising signs. As rumoured a new touch screen dualshock controller & 8gb of memory. Being able to remotely drop into other peoples games online is interesting but not sure exactly how much I would use it. Sounds like some interesting new titles are in the pipeline but not had time to look into them yet. No mention of game and console linking.

Originally thought the touch screen duakshock controller could just be a gimmick but thinking about it could be useful on certain games like those where you have to switch weapons quickly (no guarantee it will work like that though).

One website described it as looking like a high end pc spec at a reasonable price. Guess we wait for the 720 announcement now.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu 21 Feb 2013, 7:06 am

pscott wrote:

I've tried to post an image that didn't work so I've put this on, good luck.
Is there step by step instructions on how to attach images, one for an idiot?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnUMt2oIBEJ0qTwrG9eRHioDpCHO6hZ5hSIqDKeuI_OOpMg_hH2mpRWg

What you do is right click the image and select "copy url".

Then click n the little screen monitor on the reply box - it will open up a little mini menu where you can paste the URL.

Hey presto!

Make sure to put it in spoiler tabs please.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:32 am

Have you got a soft play area I can try it out in Adam.

A new Infamous game, Killzone, something from Media molecule ( Little Big Planet ), three or four others and ten months till an end of year launch.

I suppose its basically what you'd expect, I was trying to think of what it would take to make me go wow. Maybe it would have taken in game footage or the ability to make good coffee?

B91212 - I know what you mean about the ability to drop in, I still tend to play more single player than online so who knows

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:50 am

Will probably wait a year before getting a next-gen console - I'm more excited for GTA V in truth!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:54 am

Nothing of any interest from my perspective. I was a PS1 / PS2 geek, but got very bored waiting for decent games to come out for the PS2 and traded it in the the XBOX. Then went to 360. This PS4 has nothing I want from a console that I don't already have from the 360, so I'll stick with that thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Thu 21 Feb 2013, 12:31 pm

I wonder what affect GTA V being delayed would have on sales, or is GTA V next gen?

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:10 pm

Its on ps3/4.

Azzy as soon as the games die out on the this gen you will need to switch ala like all ways i had a PS2 and then the ps3 was released after that i waited 2 years and the games on ps2 began to drop with less games so i switched and it will be the same process.

Look forward to getting the 4 at some point

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

Too much emphasis on social networking for me.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

When I said I'd stick with the 360, I meant until the 720 comes out, which like the original XBOX will be some time after the PS4.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 9:12 pm

Duty281 wrote:Will probably wait a year before getting a next-gen console - I'm more excited for GTA V in truth!

Same here Duty. Hopefully it lives up to expectation and then some.

Back to top Go down

Post by nasisillmatic Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:00 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Too much emphasis on social networking for me.

Same for me. I'd rather know that the graphics will blow me away, rather than being able to upload videos during play.

nasisillmatic

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu 25 Apr 2013, 2:51 am

Had a email from xbox today saying it is 27 days until their announcement/introduction for the new 720 or whatever they choose to call it. Interested to see what they have to say as currently well in the PS4 camp from what I've read so far.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 25 Apr 2013, 2:42 pm

Seems that the new Xbox will be "always online" and that used games won't be allowed.

Think I'll be switching to PlayStation...

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 25 Apr 2013, 2:48 pm

nasisillmatic wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:Too much emphasis on social networking for me.

Same for me. I'd rather know that the graphics will blow me away, rather than being able to upload videos during play.

Feel the same way. Just want a game console which has developed in terms of graphics and capabilities but I fear like PS4 they will push the boundaries and include all this social media friendly technology and information sharing and basically giving up your privacy. I just want a game console to play great games in my own home and not have to think about social interaction. I`m usually an Xbox man but be interesting to see what they have to offer

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Fri 26 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

There is an option on PS3 to link trophy achievement to Facebook, that meant my only posts were essentially just trophy after trophy, just showing people I hadn't met in 20 odd years that I was a geek!

I turned it off.

The thing is these must be features you can turn off so it shouldn't be that big a deal, the always online thing for 720 could be a deal breaker for some.

I guess you wait and see before burning bridges

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:43 pm

Anyone remember when a games console was just that, a games console? Nowadays, it's filled with bits of fluff - Iplayer, 4OD, Internet Explorer, Youtube etc. Might as well call them entertainment systems now, not games consoles.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:49 pm

I've only ever used my 360 for gaming (I watched one TV episode on Sky Go because my PC wasn't working). I'd rather pay £100 less for a bog-standard games-only 360 than pay an exhorbitant fee for one that I'll not use 10% of.

And who buys second-hand games these days? Madness.

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:10 pm

I don't keep music or films on my PS3, but does it effect the cost of a console to download apps to do these things, as in Iplayer and so on?

I do use the PS3 for Blu Ray but the new consoles will need them for the disc size probably? So you'll have that regardless.

Incidentally I am not arguing for these things.

Rumour again but the 720 might come boxed with the Kinnect 2.0, if thats the case would you not buy a 720. PS4 will have a camera but don't believe its as standard though who knows it may be. Speculations great eh?

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm

I already have Kinect, it's not very good, I certainly wouldn't buy it again, no matter the improvements made. It's nothing more than a gimmick, something to get you interested for a short while (at great cost).

I might be keeping my 360 for several years based on this conjecture Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by pscott Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:06 pm

Its rumoured to be a diifferent version of Kinnect, so your old one wouldn't work. Lobbed some more cameras on it or something.

pscott

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:01 pm

Duty281 wrote: Might as well call them entertainment systems now, not games consoles.

Nintendo Entertainment System. Imagine that.

They were the days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 26 Apr 2013, 5:49 pm

It is sad that I find myself more and more disillusioned with the way the big companies want to take games consoles, while I don't want to switch to PC gaming.

I just don't understand who wants the movement systems which are a novelty and you don't even feel like you're playing a video game. I really don't understand this modern obsession with social networking, I have a facebook account, which is about as far as my social networking goes and already I hate that you have the option of sharing literally everything you do, the idea that games consoles are going to become more like that is a sad thought.

Hopefully Valve will hurry up and develop their system.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down