The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DelPotro

+2
socal1976
Haddie-nuff
6 posters

Go down

DelPotro Empty DelPotro

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:08 am

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/30042011/58/del-potro-fights-against-soderling.html

Interesting to note that DelPo beat Soderling in two straight sets yesterday. Could this be the beginning of JDP´s comeback. ?? Will he be a threat to Novak´s challenge for the clay crown. There have been many who say he won´t be a threat this year until he has made a full recovery from injury. But iIm not so sure. I think Delpo could be the dark horse in this race and slip under the radar...what is your opinion.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

DelPotro Empty Re: DelPotro

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:38 am

I agree, on old 606 one of the posters got into a big debate with me when I picked Del Po as one of the top 5 contenders for the USO crown. He claimed that Del Po wouldn't be ready by then. Del Po is just to good not to be in the mix. Even on clay he moves well enough for a big man to do damage. His first tour title I believe was in a smaller clay court event. He moves really well for a guy his size. I concur that he is definetly a threat to do damage even on a clay court.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by sportslover Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:38 am

Understand Soderling is still suffering from a previous injury and was not up to his usual "high standard".

However if DelPo can maintain fitness and form he will for sure be a threat to anybody including the top two.

sportslover

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:57 am

Agreed, Sportslover, Novak hasn't looked to good in his first two matches on clay. Saw his match against Kavic and he still looked like he was figuring out his movement on clay. To me he looked a bit rusty his first two outings on the clay which is understandable. Del Po I think is actually a tougher matchup for Nadal than Djoko. He is so tall that he actually likes the ball up and in his strike zone negating some of the heavy topspin advantage Rafa has.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 30 Apr 2011, 9:23 am

I agree with you socal... not sure I buy the Soderling is still nursing an injury bit that or no DelPotro is still fighting back from his so I cant take that one on board SL.. I still think Del Potro would be a threat to Sodering anyway I believe too that DelPotro is more of a threat to Rafa but its gonna be mighty interesting to see the three of them battling it out on the clay So heyho Novak it isnt going to be all plain sailing me thinks.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 9:42 am

Haddie, Novak has not been impressive in his two wins in Belgrade. Doesn't look like he has enough match play on clay yet, his movement was abit disjointed at times and it caused him to hit a few too many errors. I think he will round into shape, but I am bit worried over his next two matches neither Tipsy or Feli will be easy for him, he basically took nearly three weeks off and he looks ripe for the upset in my mind. But then again he does have another gear then those two other guys he can step into.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 30 Apr 2011, 9:47 am

Well socal if anyone is going to upset him I do so hope its Feli.. always the bridesmaid bless him ..will do his mojo the power of good.
Trouble is with Feli he has to believe he can do it.. and that doesn´t come round too often.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Sat 30 Apr 2011, 10:44 am

socal1976 wrote:Haddie, Novak has not been impressive in his two wins in Belgrade. Doesn't look like he has enough match play on clay yet, his movement was abit disjointed at times and it caused him to hit a few too many errors.
He didn't really need to be impressive. I'm not the least worried about it. Playing in Belgrade before Madrid is very good for him, since he missed Monte Carlo. By the time he faces the top players, he will have adapted to clay. thumbsup

Green

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:53 am

I hope so Green, I agree with you that he probably is just a bit rusty. But, I am actually a bit concerned for the semi with Tipsy. Until he gets his clay legs underneath him, Nole is going to be a bit susceptible. Against Kavcic he was never threatened, but he also made a lot of erros were it looked like the footing and timing of his strokes just weren't there. I am not worried either, I just really want to see him win this event and get to the final against Nadal.

Imagine how great that would be if we had Rafa working on a 40 win clay court streak and Djokovic with 30 something wins to start the year going head to head. One of their streaks has to come to an end. I just hope both guys get to the Madrid final with both streaks in tact.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 30 Apr 2011, 12:41 pm

But your not addressing my question boys... where do you think that DelPotro fits into the mix he may well be the unknown quantity

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 1:12 pm

Haddie, I think Del Potro will round into a true threat after wimbeldon. He could pull an upset and make it deep into one of the big clay events, it would not be too surprising. I think by the time DC, Canada, and Cincy come around then we will be looking at a very dangerous Del Potro. He can play on clay, but similar to Novak his game really suits the American outdoor hardcourts. Big flat strokes, a big serve. I think he probably will be overrmatched by Nadal and Djoko on the clay, certainly by Nadal. Not that I don't think he can play on the stuff. Its just that he is still a little bit away from the player he was at the end of 09, and I look for his threat to become a real issue at the USO.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 30 Apr 2011, 2:00 pm

Thanks for that opinion socal. I do know him to be a better hard court player which is where I have seen him give Rafa more of a problem.
However it will be interesting to see how the "new" Novak copes with him when he is fully fit and firing on all cylinders DelPotro 732107

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm

Well the old version Djokovic has a pretty good head to head against him, so I think new and improved Djoko shouldn't be overwhelmed. But Delpo is a talent and poses a potentially bigger problem for Djoko because both players are good hardcourt players. Murray also seems to have Delpos number maybe to an even larger extent than Djoko. I think right now the hardcourt tournies are wide open between Djoko, Murray, Delpo, Nadal, and Fed.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 30 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

Exciting times ahead DelPotro 479796

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 10 May 2011, 9:19 am

http://eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/

Looks like bad news for Delpotro fans.. poor lad is having a bad time of it lately

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by denzilsmom Tue 10 May 2011, 10:27 am

That's such a shame for him.....yet another setback Sad

denzilsmom

Back to top Go down

Post by noleisthebest Tue 10 May 2011, 9:09 pm

Poor Delpo...

noleisthebest

Back to top Go down