The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ryan Mallett

+5
crazy_dave23
GSC
twelve283
Pr4wn
Lets Go Buffalo
9 posters

Go down

Ryan Mallett Empty Ryan Mallett

Post by Lets Go Buffalo Sat 30 Apr 2011, 10:27 am

Drops to the Pats in the third round!

I stayed up to watch it last night and when the Dolphins traded up i was certain he was their pick. With no QB needy teams in front of us after that in 2 or the start of 3 I was certain he was then going to become the Bills franchise of the future. Needless to say I was shocked when we passed on him again, surely he was worth a risk in the 3rd round? That said if Nix and Gailey don't think he is their guy I can understand going ILB with Kelvin Sheppard.
Lets Go Buffalo
Lets Go Buffalo

Back to top Go down

Ryan Mallett Empty Re: Ryan Mallett

Post by Pr4wn Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:38 am

I'd be gutted if I was Mallett. The Pats lost nothing in taking him, he will receive good training etc, but he'll be a bench warmer for the next five seasons.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 2:32 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I'd be gutted if I was Mallett. The Pats lost nothing in taking him, he will receive good training etc, but he'll be a bench warmer for the next five seasons.

I’d be a little concerned if he was “gutted” about going to a team where he’ll get to sit and be out of the media spotlight somewhat, work on what he needs to work on and learn from one of the best QBs in the game. If he does that and keeps himself clean (better chance of that in NE than some of the other teams he could have gone to) then he’ll have a good chance of being successful in this league. Tom Brady is 34 and has had numerous surgeries now, it only takes one injury and Mallett gets his chance provided he works for it.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 30 Apr 2011, 2:44 pm

He's not a Chan Gailey type of QB. He's as mobile as a block of concrete buried underground. The Bills were in a decent position in that they didn't have to reach for a QB. If a guy they like isn't there they can start Fitzpatrick and look again next year.

Decent spot for Mallett, best passer in the draft.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 5:05 pm

Interesting spot for Mallet... I definitely see him a training project, who after 2 years maybe will potentially have some decent trade on value (similar to Kevin Kolb, Charlie Whitehurst) based on pre-season reps, garbage time reps and general feedback that may come out of Foxboro.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sat 30 Apr 2011, 8:22 pm

Wow, Mallet going at pick 74, after Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, and Kaepernick. That's the only thing he can be angry about how far he dropped, I would love going to the Patriots, getting to develop with help of TOM BRADY, what else could you ask for apart from starting? I doubt he'll be starting for a while unless some injuries hit the Patriots, but the amount he'll develop as a player and person means that maybe after two years he could be high on some teams trade for lists.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 May 2011, 12:25 am

Tom Brady won't exactly be in the front seat in helping Mellett, that's what coaches are for. This is just like Favre "helping" Aaron Rodgers, it didn't happen. Rodgers sat, watched and was coached, Favre had nothing to do with it, just as Brady won't with Mallett.

Ryan Mallett know that, barring injury, he won't start at all for the duration of his contract. I'd be angry.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 02 May 2011, 12:59 am

I like to believe the Veterans are decent people and help the younger players with their development, Brady must know his job is safe for the foreseeable future but maybe not for the 10 years he wants to keep playing for.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 May 2011, 10:53 am

We all know his job is safe but he will have to work to improve himself and mantain his level of play. Sure, he'll be there if Mallett needs to talk or anything, but he won't play an active role in his development, there simply isn't the time in the day.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Mon 02 May 2011, 1:25 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Tom Brady won't exactly be in the front seat in helping Mellett, that's what coaches are for. This is just like Favre "helping" Aaron Rodgers, it didn't happen. Rodgers sat, watched and was coached, Favre had nothing to do with it, just as Brady won't with Mallett.

Ryan Mallett know that, barring injury, he won't start at all for the duration of his contract. I'd be angry.

Matt Cassel actually gives Brady a lot of credit for helping him develop as a QB and even now he's in KC he still receives advice. Here are some quotes from him and Brian Hoyer:

“Tom is a guy that has been a mentor to me since the day I walked into the league,”
“Tom’s been great. I continue to go to him for support,”
“He is a guy that I constantly rely on, a guy I talk to every week, if not, every other week,” Cassel said, “a guy I always try to emulate being a young player in the league. He had already won three Super Bowls and done everything you could possibly do. He is a guy also who humbled himself to help me."
“A lot of guys wouldn’t do that, and he took the time out and I will always be appreciative.”

Brian Hoyer:
“He loves the game and he has a lot of knowledge and I think he knows that he can share it even when he doesn’t know he’s doing it,” Hoyer said. “I learn from him all the time, whether it’s watching him out at practice or sitting in a room watching film with him and hearing things that he has to say."
“If you’re going to be a backup quarterback, I think you’d want to be a backup to Tom.”

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Mon 02 May 2011, 2:07 pm

Thing is, he made it very clear that he didn't want to be a backup. Nothing against Brady or the Patriots, but Mallett wanted to start and there barely any chance of that happening now.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by AdZacO Mon 02 May 2011, 2:44 pm

Give it a year, maybe two and they will get a 2nd round for him, and have a good back up til then.

AdZacO

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Mon 02 May 2011, 2:57 pm

Surely there are very few quarterbacks who go into the NFL hoping to be a backup. He may want to start but he's not the finished article and needs to develop before he becomes a team's franchise quarterback. As AdZacO said give it a year or two and they'll trade him and in return for developing him getting a better pick than the one they spent on him. If Mallett really has the desire to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, and to become a proper franchise quarterback then he should be able to see that spending a year or two at the Patriots will be very beneficial to him.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GB1919 Mon 02 May 2011, 4:16 pm

It might be difficult for the Patriots to recoup any more than a 3rd round pick for Mallett. Obviously everyone is talking of the example of Matt Cassel but his trade came about after he had played a full season and gone 11-5. Even after that the Patriots got a second round pick by trading him and Mike Vrabel. I can't imagine the Patriots would get too high a pick for a QB unless he had significant playing time under his belt.

GB1919

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Thu 05 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Interesting article about Ryan Mallett, worth a read when you have time:
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by skins4ever Thu 05 May 2011, 3:41 pm

Win-win scenario for Pats. If Mallett turns out to be a real find, they get to trade Brady before his value declines, and if he's another Cassell and steps up if Brady gets hurt gain, then they have trade value in him too.

Win-win for Mallett if he is starter material. If the comments about Brady are true, he'll learn a lot about being an NFL QB. He'll certainly learn a lot about being a pro footballer under BB. Then if Brady does go down, he gets the chance to do a Cassell. Only real down side is that he won;t have the contract he probably wanted, but there are plenty of players in the same position.

skins4ever

Back to top Go down

Post by crazy_dave23 Thu 05 May 2011, 6:54 pm

Very interesting article there twelve... good spot. As someone who only really saw SEC and Big Ten games last year due to the time zones, I am quite high on Ryan Mallet the QB.

The media are always too quick to pounce on Ryan Mallet the person, maybe with reason, but the article makes some good points.

crazy_dave23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down