The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools.

+7
Henman Bill
invisiblecoolers
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
User 774433
HM Murdock
TRuffin
11 posters

Go down

Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools. Empty Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools.

Post by TRuffin Thu 21 Feb - 6:48

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxwmqHgYdcM&feature=player_embedded

Instead of preparing for Dubai, he has spent 4 days in South Africa visiting schools that he funds through his foundation. I think we are definitly seeing a transition to where he is no longer motivated by these smaller tournaments.. vacation after AO and only started playing two days before Rotterdam, then immedialty flew to South African and spending most of the week before Dubai doing charity work.....

The video is actually heartwarming. He def is fully engaged with the kids any you can see by his face- the joy it brings him helping them.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools. Empty Re: Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools.

Post by HM Murdock Thu 21 Feb - 6:57

Top man.

And I think you're right, TRuffin. Now he has 300 weeks at 1, in his 32nd year, with young family, how motivated is really going to be for anything below slam level?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools. Empty Re: Heroicaly Charitable Federer takes time away from Dubai Preperation to visit South Africa Schools.

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 7:02

Roget clap

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 7:18

TRuffin is also right on another point, Federer these days cares really about Slams, and some Masters 1000.
I watched him @ Rotterdam, and he didn't seem to be fussed.

In terms of charity work, he's done a lot to help out, I remember a few years ago he did a few charity matches with Nadal which raised millions of euros. Can anyone remember any two other players, taking their time out during their careers in order to raise money for charity?

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Thu 21 Feb - 7:37

I still see federer as the favorite or at least equal co-favorite for wimbeldon.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 7:38

socal1976 wrote:I still see federer as the favorite or at least equal co-favorite for wimbeldon.
Depends on state of Nadal.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 21 Feb - 7:42

It Must Be Love wrote:
socal1976 wrote:I still see federer as the favorite or at least equal co-favorite for wimbeldon.

He has his own state now?

I seriously doubt Fed will win Wimby, just because of his age. Last year he became the first person to win 2 Wimbys 9 years apart (2003 - 2012). Doubt he can repeat it this year. Also, I think it's a lot easier for players to peak at GS events if they're focussed and playing well the rest of the year. If Fed's lost motivation for the 'lesser' events, that will have an effect in the GS. And it only takes being off by a small percentage for a player like Nadal to beat him on grass.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Thu 21 Feb - 7:49

It Must Be Love wrote: Can anyone remember any two other players, taking their time out during their careers in order to raise money for charity?
I can certainly think of one other:
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2012-09-15/10715.php

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2012/04/11/3028897/santiago-bernabeu-to-host-nadal-v-djokovic-exhibition-match

http://www.unicef.org/people/people_61130.html

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 21 Feb - 8:00

It Must Be Love wrote:In terms of charity work, he's done a lot to help out, I remember a few years ago he did a few charity matches with Nadal which raised millions of euros. Can anyone remember any two other players, taking their time out during their careers in order to raise money for charity?

Can anybody remember two rivals on the court coming together for a charity work on the playing years? these two guys are real special and have elevated the game to an all new level on and off the court.

Back to the topic, I guess the end is coming, every game Roger plays from here on is worth every cent.

The video was heart warming. Roger take a bow notworthy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 21 Feb - 8:01

It Must Be Love wrote:

Say me one thing he is 8th or 9th favourite for FO by your humble opinion and now how come he becomes more threat in Roger's preferred surface? Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 21 Feb - 8:06

JuliusHMarx wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

He has his own state now?

I seriously doubt Fed will win Wimby, just because of his age. Last year he became the first person to win 2 Wimbys 9 years apart (2003 - 2012). Doubt he can repeat it this year. Also, I think it's a lot easier for players to peak at GS events if they're focussed and playing well the rest of the year. If Fed's lost motivation for the 'lesser' events, that will have an effect in the GS. And it only takes being off by a small percentage for a player like Nadal to beat him on grass.

I was just getting ready to make the same point- the problem with loss of motivation for the lesser events is that eventually it bleeds into all of the events, big or small.. You are so focused for years on the sport you are in, it's your life.... then suddenly you realize there is more to life and that time off you are taking mentally for the smaller events starts to seem awfully nice... next thing your know your not worried about the big events. It takes the edge off. Mcenroe has spoken alot about how amazed he is Federer has maintained that motivation for all events for so many years... but I think we're starting to see it a tad.. He can still pull himself up for the time being, but it will start to have effect.

btw- the watch Fed is wearing-- Rolex Skydweller in Rose Gold- Currently the rarest Rolex with LONG waits!! lol... must be nice!!

Last edited by TRuffin on Thu 21 Feb - 8:12; edited 1 time in total

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 21 Feb - 8:09

invisiblecoolers wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:In terms of charity work, he's done a lot to help out, I remember a few years ago he did a few charity matches with Nadal which raised millions of euros. Can anyone remember any two other players, taking their time out during their careers in order to raise money for charity?

Can anybody remember two rivals on the court coming together for a charity work on the playing years? these two guys are real special and have elevated the game to an all new level on and off the court.

Back to the topic, I guess the end is coming, every game Roger plays from here on is worth every cent.

Since we're on the topic of those charity matches- here's that famous vidoe of them cracking each other up while trying to film promos-- or more like Federer cracking up!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJV-mF6chSg

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 8:52

invisiblecoolers wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote:

Say me one thing he is 8th or 9th favourite for FO by your humble opinion and now how come he becomes more threat in Roger's preferred surface? Laugh
Well if he's fully fit, imo he can beat Roger in both.
The question is, can he get to that stage in this period of time.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 8:52

TRuffin wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:

Since we're on the topic of those charity matches- here's that famous vidoe of them cracking each other up while trying to film promos-- or more like Federer cracking up!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJV-mF6chSg
I love that video Very Happy

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 21 Feb - 8:56

TRuffin wrote:btw- the watch Fed is wearing-- Rolex Skydweller in Rose Gold- Currently the rarest Rolex with LONG waits!! lol... must be nice!!

Not that heroically charitable then Smile

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu 21 Feb - 9:02

JuliusHMarx wrote:
TRuffin wrote:btw- the watch Fed is wearing-- Rolex Skydweller in Rose Gold- Currently the rarest Rolex with LONG waits!! lol... must be nice!!

Not that heroically charitable then Smile

lol... well, he does work hard!! He deserves it.

and Rolex is actually a partner in many of his foundation endeavors... Here's a non tennis fact (I'm a watch nut too)- the founder of Rolex did not have any heirs and left the company to a charitable trust. All proceeds/profit that aren't put back into the company are given to charity! They actually do alot of good around the world quietly and often using other names..........

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 9:25

HM Murdoch wrote:
It Must Be Love wrote: Can anyone remember any two other players, taking their time out during their careers in order to raise money for charity?

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2012/04/11/3028897/santiago-bernabeu-to-host-nadal-v-djokovic-exhibition-match

Djokovic clap

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 21 Feb - 9:28

He did look like he was not really getting out of second gear in a match I saw against Rotterdam against a 100 ranked player. It was..relaxed.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 21 Feb - 9:30

Suspect motivation is going to become harder and harder to realise for him in future. He has nothing left to prove.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Thu 21 Feb - 9:31

lydian wrote:Suspect motivation is going to become harder and harder to realise for him in future. He has nothing left to prove.
I'll send him a Wee Kiera article, that'll rev him up.

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Thu 21 Feb - 9:33

I cannot recall the last time Murray did anything heroically charitable. Maybe Hawkeye needs to do an article about this. Whistle

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 23 Feb - 1:02

It Must Be Love wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Djokovic clap

You must be forgetting Hit For Haiti and Hit for Haiti, pt 2, where many players contributed, not just one or the other.

In US NFL, Dan Marino, Doug Flutie and many others give time and money. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/everett-273968-taca-stephanie.html

Roddick has a foundation, as do many other Tennis players.

Henman Bill wrote: I cannot recall the last time Murray did anything heroically charitable. Maybe Hawkeye needs to do an article about this. Whistle

A bit below the belt, don't you think HB? Wink

Murray does quite a bit of charity as well... http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/andy-murray IIRC, Judy also has a Tennis foundation.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 23 Feb - 1:34

There is no requirement, nor should there be any expectation for sports people to do charity work.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sat 23 Feb - 2:12

There is no requirement for anybody - whether sports personality or otherwise - to do charity work.

But the fact that so many people choose to do so makes our world a far, far better place than it might otherwise be.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sat 23 Feb - 2:14

Its good that as role models their charitable work demonstrates to others that no matter how well you've done in life it doesn't hurt to help those less fortunate.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down