The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Millwall New Den

5 posters

Go down

Millwall New Den Empty Millwall New Den

Post by jeromedubois Wed 20 Feb 2013, 11:41 pm

Hey there,

Was wondering if anyone had been to the New Den before as an away supporter, and if so what was your experience there? Just asking as thinking of heading to the Millwall vs Blackburn FA cup Quarter Finals, but have no what it is like. I imagine it is way safer, but just wondering if there is anything to watch out for.

jeromedubois

Back to top Go down

Millwall New Den Empty Re: Millwall New Den

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 21 Feb 2013, 10:49 am

All I know from the West Ham away trips in recent years is that the Police are pretty on the ball since it kicked off in the Carling Cup that night at Upton Park (first and last game I took my ex-girlfriend to).

Big cup game, national coverage, the police presence will be obvious. They shuttled the West Hams fans from the station to the ground all down one route, would seem OTT to do it again but they might. Millwall themselves are more aware of their public image than ever, all ready under scrutiny with SSN's report on racism, so they'll be keen for it to be a good affair. Id be really surprised if anything went down, it takes someone looking for a fight to get in any trouble.

There was nothing last year between West Ham and Millwall of any note, so I'd imagine its not as bad as its made out.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:07 pm

Millwall is 100% the safest away game i have ever been to. You get a short 2-5 minn train journey from London Bridge to South Bermondsey then you have a walk to the ground in the away end entrance which is caged off. Police handle the after math of the game well, but is always a joy to wind up Millwall fans through the cage after the match laughing

Police always do there job. The away end is very nice, get a good view of the game in the upper tear. Usually a good atmosphere at the den, always a cracking place to win aswell!

Would 100% recommend going mate!

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Sat 02 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

Only thing to watch out for (from Millwall v Crawley in the Capital One Cup earlier this season) is that after the game the police seemed to let home and away fans mingle on the platform and on the train, as if they've done their job once you're away from the stadium.

They wouldn't do that for high risk games, but if Millwall v Blackburn isn't seen as high risk, which is likely, watch out for the odd troublemaker.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Tue 29 Oct 2013, 6:15 am

Going to Millwall is always a risky thing to do.  It is true that the police are pretty much on the ball now, and the worst of Millwall's (many) thugs now have court orders that require them to report to police stations at kick off time anyway.  The ones who have been caught, that is.

Millwall violence tends to mainly fall into two categories nowadays:  "Red Mist" and "Opportunist".  The FA Cup semi final at Wembley last season was a 'red mist' incident.  It all kicked off just after Wigan scored their second goal and it became clear that Millwall were going to lose.    Opportunist violence is more sporadic and unpredictable, and can be nastier in the level of excess.

Going to the New Den can be a safe experience, but....... but...... but.....  There is always the 'but' with Millwall.

If you are going to a low profile match, there is unlikely to be a "red mist" scenario, but beware..... their supporters are always on the lookout for an opportunity to have a go if they think they can give somebody a kicking and get away with it.  No club in the league comes under so much scrutiny, and they are aware by now that judges and magistrates come down hard on them if they get caught so they are cautious, which is no bad thing, but they have learned how to spot an opportunity and make the most of it. Millwall supporters have developed a level of low, rodent cunning that would make a weasel blush. And people still get seriously hurt visiting Millwall.

It is possible to have a good day out, as long as you do the right things.  But if you stray from the police approved route..... get into the non-visitors part of the stadium......  allow your colours to be seen.... get separated from your mates.... whatever.... then woe betide anyone who finds themselves in the wrong place with the wrong people (which is pretty much all of them)

To anybody visiting the New Den, ever, all I will say is:  Good luck
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down