The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps

+14
Shifty
Hound_of_Harrow
offload
thebluesmancometh
Seagultaf
formerly known as Sam
BristolDave
Bathite
bluestonevedder
LondonTiger
bedfordwelsh
beshocked
Geordie
pioden gorllewin
18 posters

Go down

Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps Empty Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 9:19 am

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-Rugby-sign-Wales-fly-half-Nicky-Robinson/story-18201181-detail/story.html#axzz2LWVpXVRM

BRISTOL Rugby will make another significant statement of intent regarding their Aviva Premiership ambitions when they confirm today that they have signed Nicky Robinson.

The 31-year-old fly-half, who won 13 caps for Wales, is understood to have turned down offers from several Premiership clubs to join Bristol.

​Bristol Rugby head coach Liam Middleton is delighted to have landed former Wales fly-half Nicky Robinson from next season

••..The London Wasps No 10 – who has also played for Cardiff Blues and Gloucester – will join the club ahead of next season.

He follows fellow recent recruits Errie Claassens, Andy Short, Peter Buxton and Mark Sorenson, all of whom will join Bristol from Premiership clubs, while Andy Robinson will begin work as director of rugby on March 1.

.And head coach Liam Middleton is delighted to land Robinson, who has made 18 appearances this season for Wasps, including 13 of their 15 Premiership games so far.

“Nicky is a significant signing for us,” said Middleton. “He had a fair bit of Premiership interest – a lot of Premiership offers – and I’m over the moon that he chose us.

“I sat with him a couple of weeks ago and really had a good chat with him about what we’re doing and he really bought into it, so I’m chuffed.

“He’ll bring us a lot of leadership, a lot of experience, and he’s a guy who plays at 10 in a way that suits the Bristol Fashion style of rugby.”

Middleton has said that Robinson will compete with Adrian Jarvis for the No 10 shirt at Bristol next season, which raises doubts over the future of both Tristan Roberts and Matt Jones.

“Nicky will go head to head with Adrian, who has played very well and been significant for us this year,” said Middleton.

“The two of them are going to battle it out and they are quite similar in their style. At the moment, we don’t know what some of the other guys are doing but we will certainly have two very strong players in that position.”

Robinson made 125 appearances for his hometown club, Cardif Blues, scoring 666 points in the process. He then joined Gloucester, where he scored 518 points in 58 games across two seasons, before switching to Wasps.

He has featured regularly since moving to Wasps in 2011, playing 43 matches so far and scoring 371 points.

“He’s highly rated everywhere he’s been – Cardiff Blues rated him highly, Gloucester rated him highly and he did very well for them,” said Middleton.

“If you look at his statistics in the Premiership for Gloucester, he was very good there. I’m hugely excited, particularly by the fact that a guy who had so much interest from elsewhere decided to buy into what we’re doing here.”

And Middleton revealed how he sold Bristol to Robinson – even if they are playing Championship rugby next season.

“It’s a case of saying, ‘If we’re in the Championship, the only thing you will have different to the Premiership is the team you play against on a Saturday’,” said Middleton.

“Everything in the week and the environment around the club is Premiership standard – the training environment, the coaching, the strength and conditioning, the facilities. It’s all Premiership standard.

“The other thing a player such as Nicky is buying into is the challenge. The goal is always to reach the Premiership but I think these players can see a case of, ‘If I sign for Bristol, in the time of my contract I am going to play Premiership rugby’.

“The challenge of achieving that is actually quite strong. I was quite surprised with guys like Mark Sorenson, and particularly Nicky, how being a part of the rise of a club is quite exciting. It fits in with what they want to achieve.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps Empty Re: Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 9:22 am

Possible a reflection on the state of regional rugby in wales that Nicky would opt for Bristol over a welsh region.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps Empty Re: Bristol sign Nicky Robinson from Wasps

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 10:14 am

Big statement by Bristol, it would be good to renew the rivalry with another west country former giant. The championship is a real battle to get out of though, the standard appears to be getting higher every year. Bristol must be starting to sort out their finances too, as their recent recruits can't have been cheap.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Feb 2013, 10:44 am

So who are Wasps current FH's? And are they signing others?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 21 Feb 2013, 10:48 am

Geordiefalcon

Didn't you hear? They are going to be re-signing Danny Boy and the Tango man too. Whistle

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 21 Feb 2013, 12:32 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:So who are Wasps current FH's? And are they signing others?

Well they have Stephen Jones who seems to be having a good season for them but I doubt there much life left in his legs
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 21 Feb 2013, 1:40 pm

They are signing Andy Goode according to rumours.

They also have Chris Bell's younger btother Tommy waiting in the wings.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Thu 21 Feb 2013, 1:51 pm

Great signing for Bristol!

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

Forgot completely about Jones...

Beshocked...could you imagine though if Cipriani and Henson both suddenly decided right last chance saloon and were both simply majestic for wasps at 10 & 12 though....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:27 pm

Last last last last chance saloon

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 21 Feb 2013, 2:39 pm

Bathite wrote:Last last last last chance saloon

Geordiefalcon and Bathite Cipriani and Henson jointly own the place!

They are more likely to set up a bar together called the Last Chance Saloon complete with numerous clientele like the whole cast of the only way is Essex, Jordan,Peter Andre, possibly the Geordie Shore and Made in Chelsea cast too just to mix things up!

One of the main bar rules would be you would not be allowed in unless you are a nice tinge of orange. Bouncers at the door to make sure this would be kept in check. Too pale and you could get thrown out.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:25 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:Possible a reflection on the state of regional rugby in wales that Nicky would opt for Bristol over a welsh region.

I gather he was a little greedy for Dragons liking. Pity really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

possibly the Geordie Shore
vomit Cry

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:36 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:Possible a reflection on the state of regional rugby in wales that Nicky would opt for Bristol over a welsh region.

Possibly, but then he left Wales at a time when he was the nailed on first choice no.10 at the blues playing his best rugby, i.e. wasn't forced out, so maybe he doesn't want to play in Wales. The wages are probably better than the dragons can offer too (as rev says).

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 3:50 pm

think the last few moves robinson as made have been influenced by money. it's a shame though think he would have been a good fit for the dragons. third time dragons have lost out on a 10 to a championship team. adrian jarvis (bristol) phil goodman (london scottish) and now robinson.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:21 pm

Poiden, did we actually miss out on them? As in, made offers? If not, then we've lost out on loads more too, e.g. Dan Carter, Jonny Wilkinson, Freddie Michalak, etc., etc. They've all moved but we haven't got them!

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:28 pm

Apparently you made offers for them, but only what I read in the Argus. How acurate the paper is I'm not sure.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Thu 21 Feb 2013, 4:49 pm

With all these signings it looks like lansdown's money is being put to good use. A ground share with Bristol city beckons. Big intent from the boys for next year

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 Feb 2013, 6:45 pm

I thought Wasps were after Joe Carlisle from Worcester.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 7:07 pm

wasps have been linked with both worcester 10's carlisle and goode.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 21 Feb 2013, 7:10 pm

Not suprised that Nicky is leaving Wasps, he cant be very pleased that he has been overtaken by a decidedly ageing Stephen Jones. This season was suposed to be Jones last before moving into coaching, but the way he is playing maybe he has decided to have one more swan song.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 7:12 pm

Griff wrote:

Possibly, but then he left Wales at a time when he was the nailed on first choice no.10 at the blues playing his best rugby, i.e. wasn't forced out, so maybe he doesn't want to play in Wales. The wages are probably better than the dragons can offer too (as rev says).

He left as the Blues were hitting form as well, shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 Feb 2013, 7:45 pm

Thought Robinson would have gone to the Dragons over the Championship.

Jones signed a two year deal so I presume he'll attempt another season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Thu 21 Feb 2013, 7:48 pm

Apparently Robinson was looking for a 3 year deal at 250,000 a season. Probably bristol came the closest to matching that figure.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 21 Feb 2013, 8:04 pm

I'd doubt it. Bristol won't have that sort of money to throw around in the Championship. They've also signed in some experienced names which will mean there will be an increased bill already.

Maybe he has promotion pay rise written into his contract.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 21 Feb 2013, 8:05 pm

IronMike wrote:
Griff wrote:

Much of which was down to him. He had his critics, but in that last season he was playing some very good rugby, mixing it up between running lines, well time passes putting players in space, and kicking well. Who came after? Sam Norton Knight! Oh...

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 21 Feb 2013, 8:35 pm

3 years at 250k Laugh

Bristol won't be paying him half that for 2 years maximum I wouldve said, maybe an increase clause on promotion, and a first season in the prem but because of possible relegation no way would a third year been given.

I heard rumours about the Dragons looking at him but they hadn't made an official offer last I heard?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:56 pm

IMO his problem has always been consistency. He could look very classy and then have a howler. Quite rightly never really made the international grade. Good luck to him though, and a good signing for Bristol.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:55 am

Seagultaf wrote:Not suprised that Nicky is leaving Wasps, he cant be very pleased that he has been overtaken by a decidedly ageing Stephen Jones. This season was suposed to be Jones last before moving into coaching, but the way he is playing maybe he has decided to have one more swan song.

Jones is apparently keen to stay at Wasps in a coaching role. I wish Wasps had a bit of both Jones and Robinson in the same 10 if you know what I mean.

Robinson can make some sublime passes and offloads, and did create try scoring chances; but his poor tactical kicking cost Wasps dearly at times last season. Jones on the other hand is Mr. Dependable.

There's been little to choose between them this season though, with Robinson improving some of his decision making.

I hope Bris make it back into the Prem. Great place to go, but not so much if they play at Ashton Gate. The Mem was never a plush ground, but it is a rugby ground. Plus a few local beers in The Robin Hood's Retreat on the Gloucester Road was always a pleasure.

Good luck NR & Bris thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Fri 22 Feb 2013, 7:24 am

Risca Rev wrote:

I gather he was a little greedy for Dragons liking. Pity really.

My first thought was "why didnt the Dragons get him"?

I guess he wanted more than 2 hot dogs, and a 10% club shop discount to join them... greedy bástard! mad
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 22 Feb 2013, 8:51 am

Have you considered a career in comedy, Shifty?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 22 Feb 2013, 9:25 am

beshocked wrote:
Bathite wrote:Last last last last chance saloon

Geordiefalcon and Bathite Cipriani and Henson jointly own the place!

They are far more likely to open Last Chance Salon.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:03 am

Saint Nicky wouldn't have gone to the Dregs, there's no incentive at all to go there. Plus he's a cardiff boy thumbsup

It's well known he left wales because he wasn't getting a look in for the national side, he was probably the best outside half in wales when we won the EDF and got to the semi final in the HEC but was ignored. His only chances for wales came against teams like Fiji in a makeshift XV, they would struggle and he'd be blamed for not performing.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri 22 Feb 2013, 11:49 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'd doubt it. Bristol won't have that sort of money to throw around in the Championship. They've also signed in some experienced names which will mean there will be an increased bill already.

Maybe he has promotion pay rise written into his contract.

Well we had someone on here swear blind thats what Goode was getting on his Worcester deal. Who knows.

Seems fishy but it may well be the case that only Bristol were willinbg to give him a 3 year contract, just not at those rates.

Does seem on the surface crazy to think theyd commit that kind of money when its unlikely theyll be promoted this year and may well be facing another big hitter for promotion next year too.

The world of rugby transfers and wages (espec tightheads and FHs) is getting increasingly soccerlike though. Theres some crazy stories out there (Meyer signed Houghaard on a huge contract at Tigers and they had to keep paying part of it even when they offloaded him to Saracens), so really who knows these days. There is a rapid wage inflation thanks to the Frogs and Japs ( and the notion that having a good 10 = instant success)

Good luck to him. A couple of years ago he was still up there with the best in the Jeff. maybe hes on the downslope now but hed still be a handy squad player for any club. In the second tier he should stand out as a class act if he keeps up his professionalism and motivation.

3 year contract though? It does seem barmy if that is the case.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by pioden gorllewin Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:21 pm

Doesn't the owner of bristol own the football club too, and has a personal wealth of £200 million? Well those were the figures I heard his agent was looking for - what he actually got I don't know. He was on a fair wedge at wasps mind, so those figures don't surprise me.
pioden gorllewin
pioden gorllewin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm

Griff wrote:
IronMike wrote:
Griff wrote:

Much of which was down to him. He had his critics, but in that last season he was playing some very good rugby, mixing it up between running lines, well time passes putting players in space, and kicking well. Who came after? Sam Norton Knight! Oh...

The Blues havent been the same since he left, first the Knightmare and then Parks for 2 seasons, at least we have Patchell developing and Tovey as back up now

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:08 am

gcBlues wrote:Saint Nicky wouldn't have gone to the Dregs, there's no incentive at all to go there. Plus he's a cardiff boy thumbsup

It's well known he left wales because he wasn't getting a look in for the national side, he was probably the best outside half in wales when we won the EDF and got to the semi final in the HEC but was ignored. His only chances for wales came against teams like Fiji in a makeshift XV, they would struggle and he'd be blamed for not performing.

Strange things happen though. Ceri Sweeney said he'd never play for Cardiff.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sat 23 Feb 2013, 12:10 am

IronMike wrote:
Griff wrote:

A damn shame too.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Feb 2013, 9:49 am

IronMike wrote:
Griff wrote:
IronMike wrote:
Griff wrote:

The Blues havent been the same since he left, first the Knightmare and then Parks for 2 seasons, at least we have Patchell developing and Tovey as back up now

It's funny when you look at Tovey. I know people wont believe me, but I really wasn't a huge fan of his when he was at the dragons. I didn't see what the fuss was about. Maybe other dragons fans where desperate for some talent to emerge from the region, a shining light in an otherwise lacklustre decade when we were always accused of not producing talent, but for me he just seemed a bit lazy, went missing in matches, and was inconsistency personified. He went to the Blues as the next big thing, calls of poaching 'talent', etc. But I think the Blues have bought themselves an average club player. He's already been overtaken by Patchell and I expect him to be surpassed in the 'prospects' stakes nationally by some of the up n coming U20s players on show last night. How's he going at 15 for the Blues? He never seemed to have the pace for a decent 15 for me, so I expect he won't trouble halfpenny much outside of the international window.

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 23 Feb 2013, 10:40 am

Well we had someone on here swear blind thats what Goode was getting on his Worcester deal. Who knows.

Goode probably was, Wuss more than likely evelated him to marquee player status as well. I struggle to believe a Championship level club would throw that much cash at any player, the RFU are currently being sued by the Championship clubs for under paying the agreed annual funding.

Brizzle might have a rich owner but if he owns two sports teams I'd wager he has enough on his plate and won't be accepting losses chasing the dream. The guy probably worked hard for his money and won't be looking to gamble it.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:18 pm

pioden gorllewin wrote:Doesn't the owner of bristol own the football club too, and has a personal wealth of £200 million? Well those were the figures I heard his agent was looking for - what he actually got I don't know. He was on a fair wedge at wasps mind, so those figures don't surprise me.

Think it's closer to 500-600m - not bad seeing that he started his company off in a bedroom in Clifton

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat 23 Feb 2013, 2:28 pm

[quote="Hound_of_Harrow"]
Seagultaf wrote:

I hope Bris make it back into the Prem. Great place to go, but not so much if they play at Ashton Gate. The Mem was never a plush ground, but it is a rugby ground. Plus a few local beers in The Robin Hood's Retreat on the Gloucester Road was always a pleasure.

Good luck NR & Bris thumbsup

Agree with you there Hound about the mem. There was some success playing at Ashton gate in the past (at one time it held the prem attendance record for a match against Bath) and I think it's part of lansdown's plan to get both Bristol rugby and city playing at the same place. There is talk of a 30000 seated stadium that was to be built shortly about 1 mile from Ashton gate. Planning permission has already been given for the mem as well I think although not sure that will go ahead if rovers get relagated.

Precious few places for a good beer around Ashton gate though

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 24 Feb 2013, 7:32 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Have you considered a career in comedy, Shifty?

I already have my daughter taking the mickey out of me all the day, I don't want everyone else to as well. Hug
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down