The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest'

+2
MR. scotland27
Shifty
6 posters

Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest' Empty Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest'

Post by Shifty Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:20 am

Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/13244211.stm

Newport Gwent Dragons have admitted they would be open to signing Gavin Henson should the Wales centre be released by French giants Toulon.

Henson will discover if he has a future with the French Top 14 club on Monday after breaching disciplinary code.

But Dragons team manager Robert Beale admitted that the Dragons are looking to strengthen at centre.

"We're definitely looking to add to our squad in that position for next season," Beale told BBC's Scrum V show.

Former Dragons head coach Paul Turner has publicly called on his former region to recruit Henson if the troubled 31-times capped Wales star was available.

And Beale revealed: "We're always looking for high-quality players and Gavin is definitely one of those, so I guess Paul Turner is right... we would be interested.

"We have to wait and see how that [the situation at Toulon] unfolds and see where Gavin sees his future in rugby going forward.

Henson was suspended for a week by Toulon on 18 April following an incident involving a team-mate at a nightclub.

The 29-year-old has only played two games since joining the big-spending French club in February, but did score a try on his Toulon debut against Stade Francais two weeks ago after recovering from a long-term leg problem.

"Gavin is a quality player but we're also looking at other quality players to come in and strengthen our squad," Beale added.

Former England coach Dick Best has urged the Welsh Rugby Union to demand that Henson play under their jurisdiction at one of Wales' regions.

Best, who is now an agent, believes the WRU should take responsibility to keep a close eye on the former Ospreys and Saracens player

"If I were the Welsh Rugby Union I'd bring him under the auspices of the WRU," he told the BBC's Scrum V Radio.

"Make him play for whoever, Cardiff or Dragons or whoever, and monitor him and just say 'listen, we're going to give you one last chance'."

Toulon president Mourad Boudjellal had said Henson was "difficult to manage."

Henson, along with another troubled Wales star Andy Powell, have been invited to a meeting by the Welsh Rugby Union to discuss their apparent misdemeanours.

"Following recent reported incidents, WRU group chief executive Roger Lewis and Wales head coach Warren Gatland have requested meetings with Gavin Henson and Andy Powell over the course of the coming weeks," a WRU statement said.

"Until those meetings take place there will be no further comment from the WRU."

It remains to be seen whether Henson - who can play full-back, centre or fly-half - will win a recall for his country in Wales' World Cup warm-ups ahead of the start of the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand next September.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest' Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest'

Post by Shifty Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:22 am

It's interesting that the Mike Cuddy of the Ospreys said they would like to talk to him and now the Dragons say the same thing. It looks like regardless of the outcome of the Toulon incident he will have another club to go to.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest' Empty Re: Newport Gwent Dragons admit Gavin Henson 'interest'

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:32 am

I think it would be a big mistake for a small underfunded province to take on someone like this, just a bad move for both parties.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:37 am

got to agree with that Mr S. The Dragons are very much on the same road as the Scarlets in that they are trying to grow from within and create a real family and brilliant team spirit. I can't see how bringing in someone like Henson would help there, think it would be much more of a hindrance if I'm being honest. It's a shame as he has the potential to be a real quality player, just wish he'd concentrate on just playing rugby!

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:57 am

RD you may be living in a fools paradise there, the guy hasn't concentrated on rugby for about 3 years now.

Cuddy would have him back at the O's like a shot but he aint the only one calling the shots.
Henson at the Dragons would prove far too disruptive.
Wasps it is then.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by grizly hairbear Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:59 am

i do rate henson when he's playing and i would still like to see him in a ospreys shirt.
My worry is the influence he would have on the young up and coming player off the pitch, no one needs a bunch of prima donna's in a club
grizly hairbear
grizly hairbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Apr 2011, 12:04 pm

Ospreylian - aye I know it's wishful thinking, tis just such a shame to see such talent go to waste!

Grizly - that's the problem with Henson now, no one wants the attitude he could possibly bring to a club. For all the benefits he could bring, are clubs/regions, really going to take the risk anymore?

Back to top Go down

Post by grizly hairbear Sat 30 Apr 2011, 6:09 pm

that is the problem , do you risk team ship for one one player
grizly hairbear
grizly hairbear

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sat 30 Apr 2011, 7:42 pm

It's no shock that they would be interested. "Bigger" teams (sorry) can afford to say they wouldn't be interested if they have depth, but teams that need that extra edge to launch them into the top 4 next year would be foolish if they didn't at least think about it.

For all his faults Henson could (judged purely from a rugby context) be that little extra needed to lift a teams win/loss ration by just two or three wins, which would have been enough this year to make the Dragons a playoff team.

If he could get his head straight he'd be an asset. But his problem is always the 'if', it's a big one.

Any team thinking of signing him would do well to insist on a no-alcohol clause in his contract. It seems to bring out the arrogance in him that causes him all the problems.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Apr 2011, 7:51 pm

greybeard - that's very true. But Henson himself has openly said he can't handle his alcohol....so why on earth does he keep drinking?

You are right though, it's a big 'IF' on whether he can get his head straight or not. For me personally I'd say it would be too big a risk, but you are right, some sides will have to at least consider the option of signing him thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 30 Apr 2011, 11:22 pm

"by just two or three wins"

See that's not strictly true.

4 Blues 21 13 1 7 456 354 6 60
5 Ospreys 21 11 1 9 541 408 13 59
6 Scarlets 21 11 1 9 465 430 11 57
7 Dragons 21 10 1 10 431 442 6 48

It's amazing how people assume that. Bonus points of any description is what has undone us.

Anyway, do I want Henson? Part of me does, but part of me doesn't want to alienate decent players for the Dragons like Ash Smith.

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Sun 01 May 2011, 9:29 am

Here's another good reason why the Dragons and Scarlets should steer well clear of Henson:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/rugby/jones-blasts-gatland/article-3502349-detail/article.html

By the way, Daf Jones - what a team player! Great attitude and a good servant to the Scarlets. Sets the standard for the kind of team player you want in a side. Henson couldn't be more different.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sun 01 May 2011, 12:23 pm

TBS

Read that article by Daf and agree he was great for Wales and the Scarlets.

However I was shocked by his referenc e to the booze claiming it brought the players together, I was under the impression that the booze culture had been kicked into touch years ago.
We have to learn the lessons of those better than we are, if we want to improve, look at the AB's and yes they have a drink but only at appropriate moments.

His suggestions also highlight a potential problem within the Welsh camp, and that is with Gatland himself. Read his words, that i concur with, on Ryan jones.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by ospreylian Sun 01 May 2011, 12:24 pm

Meant to say too that IMO Henson would be far too disruptive to the Dragons team ethos, this guy has a big enough of an ego to play rugby on his own.

ospreylian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 01 May 2011, 12:25 pm

Ospreylian - I think it's pretty clear the booze culture hasn't been dropped. I mean if it had, would both Jamie Roberts and John Davies be out clubbing during the actual 6 Nations? Looks like Welsh rugby still has a way to go to grow up and join the professionals of the rugby world.

I too though agree with Daf's words about Gatland and Ryan Jones.

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sun 01 May 2011, 3:17 pm

Risca Rev wrote:"by just two or three wins"

See that's not strictly true.

Sorry, I meant it to be taken more generally. If a team increases it's wins, other teams losses will increase, then who knows what the eventual table would look like.

All I meant was a handful of extra wins could have been the difference between a mid-table and a more competitive season for Dragons (or at least the potential for it), and in that light it makes sense that they at least think about it. Doesn't mean they should come to the conclusion that they should definitely go for him either, though.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down