The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1

+12
bogbrush
invisiblecoolers
summerblues
Henman Bill
Danny_1982
lags72
laverfan
User 774433
JuliusHMarx
socal1976
hawkeye
CAS
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1 - Page 2 Empty Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1

Post by CAS Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://sports.ndtv.com/tennis/news/item/204101-i-can-become-number-one-again-says-roger-federer

Interesting read

CAS

Back to top Go down

Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:38 am

I find the contortions of those still desperate to pretend this is anything even close to peak Federer amusing, and they're becoming more twisted by the month.

It's now known that he won Wimbledon last year having almost pulled out of his match with Benneteau because of the back; this is virtually intolerable for Djokovic and Murray fans - I can't think of a time when Federer has lost matches to a rival who was clearly injured.
It's obvious his schedule is now on wind-down, and now it's emerged that he was troubled by the back at the AO.

Socal can refer to him as the #2 7 months from his previous Slam but all it does it ask ever-greater questions about the competition. This is an old champion on the edge of staying full time on the tour yet he's only recently passed on the #1 and he won Wimbledon beating the two rivals touted as the imminent 1-2 of the game.

I get the feeling Federers legacy has been seriously enhanced by this last year, by more than was appreciated at the time.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Federer subtly admits he's past his best but still thinks he can be Number 1

Post by lags72 Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

But you should know by know bb that socal (along with some others) will twist and wriggle any which way in pursuit of the existence and validation of mythical eras - whether they be weak, transitional, golden etc etc yawn yawn.

Mind you ..... there was certainly a Beatles era. Which - as we all know - is actually still going strong, and likely to do so for quite some time.

In fact you could call them The Big Four (or should that be "Fab Four" ... Smile )

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:08 am

I think Federer winning Wimbledon last year was the story of the year in tennis and I say that as a Murray fan. Given how 2011 went and he made the final of RG lost in the semi's of USO and AO to Djokovic, lost in the Wimbledon QF's second year running. In 2012 lost in the AO and FO semi's to Nadal and Djokovic and it seemed a Slam final was beyond him. Had he not won Wimbledon you wonder if he would've contemplated retirement with 2 Slamless years.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:14 am

It might just have proven to be his last hurrah, but we can never tell.

Personally I think everything hinges on the back (no pun intended).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 am

My conviction that this will be his last 'full' year on tour remains.

Watch him while you can .........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:30 am

I think much rests on his ranking tbh. I think if he is outside of the top 4 before the WTF, I would see him potentially consider retiring. Yes the back has a big say in physically if he can manage it, but being in the top 4 does offer a less rough route to the latter stages of a Slam. I think he will give it one more year.

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 am

lags72 wrote:My conviction that this will be his last 'full' year on tour remains.

Watch him while you can .........
I'm definitely going to CC Day 1 this year just to see the great man, I hope, play a comfortable match and show his stuff. I may also do the semi, but much more in hope than expectation.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:I think much rests on his ranking tbh. I think if he is outside of the top 4 before the WTF, I would see him potentially consider retiring. Yes the back has a big say in physically if he can manage it, but being in the top 4 does offer a less rough route to the latter stages of a Slam. I think he will give it one more year.
What I meant was that I see the back as the key to the ranking. If he's below #4 then I think by default the back must be poor and I think on balance he may decide to call it quits.

If the back is good, the ranking will be #4 at worst, and he'll be at the business end of Slams giving himself a shot at #18; there simply are no other players who could overhaul him unless infirm.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am

Agreed. If drops below 4 this year, then in my eyes he will call it quits.

I think he has number 18 in the locker. A nice draw that opens up it certainly put him in good stead. Smile

Will you be queing for CC or have you purchased tickets up front?

Found it funny yesterday how the stadium in Dubai emptied post Federer match Sad that would be enough to send me into retirement if I was a pro Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:52 am

Perhaps profit-conscious TD's around the world will soon form a lobbying group to get him to play on as long as poss ....... Wink

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

bogbrush wrote:It's now known that he won Wimbledon last year having almost pulled out of his match with Benneteau because of the back; this is virtually intolerable for Djokovic and Murray fans - I can't think of a time when Federer has lost matches to a rival who was clearly injured.
Nothing intolerable about it for this Djokovic fan.

I feel no compulsion to construct a case for one player being better than the other. I'm happy to accept the two immutable facts that Federer is the most successful player the game has ever seen and Novak is currently the best player in the world.

And if the concept of a Golden Era hinges on the Big 4, then I think we can declare it over.

A "Big" 4 can't include "the one with a serious injury who may not regain his powers" and "the one in his 32nd year with a reduced schedule".

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm

He'll be after 1 last swansong now...surely he'd rather "do a Sampras" than fade away? Whether he gets that chance is another matter...Wimb or USO this year are his last real chances of a slam...you can bet your life he'll be preparing hard come June and August as he'll know 2014 is wilderness-time...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:55 pm

lydian wrote:Wimb or USO this year are his last real chances of a slam
Wimbledon, maybe.

USO seems unlikely to me. 5 years since he last won it, 4 years since he last made the final, worst slam result last year and a surface on which more players are capable of beating him on their day.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm

A cold but realistic assessment HMM.

And even for Wimbledon, that's a fairly small percentage 'maybe' I would think.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Good points HMM and agreed - I don't actually think he'll do it now but you never know. Of course he almost reached USO final in 2011 except for THAT shot...but that's 18 months ago now. His ball striking is still 2nd to none but his movment isn't as explosive as it once was.

Its amazing given he's getting on for 32 that we still aren't talking about any amazing new emerging talents coming up behind.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:05 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Agreed. If drops below 4 this year, then in my eyes he will call it quits.

I think he has number 18 in the locker. A nice draw that opens up it certainly put him in good stead. Smile

Will you be queing for CC or have you purchased tickets up front?

Found it funny yesterday how the stadium in Dubai emptied post Federer match Sad that would be enough to send me into retirement if I was a pro Laugh
Purchasing up front, it's a bit of an indulgence but you get good seats and it makes for a relaxing day out.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:08 pm

lydian wrote:He'll be after 1 last swansong now...surely he'd rather "do a Sampras" than fade away? Whether he gets that chance is another matter...Wimb or USO this year are his last real chances of a slam...you can bet your life he'll be preparing hard come June and August as he'll know 2014 is wilderness-time...
Maybe his cunning plan for 2013 will be to play possum until Wimbledon - perhaps even sandbagging through the early rounds - then unleash a fully recharged Federer.

Hey, maybe that was the 2012 tactic, considering the travails in week 1 followed by the semi & final heroics?

I can but dream..... angel
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:15 pm

Dreaming is good...and its what Sampras did to excellent effect his whole career given it later came out he had anemia issues...he tended to cruise his way through sets to 4-4 just using his serve, then turn it on. Federer could now do similar to conserve energy/body - his serve alone can keep him in grass matches without much else. He does need the back in gear though.
At least you're guaranteed to see him too...with the roof.
Chances of seeing him in Britain aren't flourishing moving forwards.

Its a shame to see these greats start to move on really...you even sense it with Nadal...especially with the dearth coming behind.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm

lags72 wrote:A cold but realistic assessment HMM.

And even for Wimbledon, that's a fairly small percentage 'maybe' I would think.
His big advantage at Wimbledon, as I see it, is that so few players are able to truly play to the surface.

For all the talk of the slowed surface (which is true), it still has its own nuances that I don't think many players seem fully able to adapt to. Novak, notably, seems to have a bit of nightmare applying his game to the surface.

Federer could rightly quote Liam Neeson before playing anyone on grass:

"what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:27 pm

But he hasn't played ME yet ........ Yahoo

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:51 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
Federer could rightly quote Liam Neeson before playing anyone on grass:

"what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you."

Nicely Taken, HM. rose

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 pm

I would say there is far more chance of Federer having one last hurrah in a slam than regaining the world No.1 spot. Personally, if I were a Fed fan I'd see another slam win as far greater achievement than regaining the No.1 slot. Slam wins are remembered far more than reaching No.1 especially when you've spent so long there.

Remember as well that many sporting legends can and have defied age and being past their optimum best to achieve great things in their sport. Hendry won world snooker titles and reached world finals after passing his best, Lester Piggott was still riding winners of classic races in his sixties, Jack Nicklaus rolled back the clock in his late 40's to win a major long after he had passed his best, Steve Redgrave won his fifth Olympic Gold being past his best. I could go on but I think you get the picture. Sporting legends are capable of these sorts of feats and Roger Federer is no different.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:00 pm

prostaff85 wrote:Even without a reduced schedule the getting back to #1 is a bit too ambitious IMO! As long as he can stay in the top 4 so he avoids Djokovic/Murray/Nadal until semis at the Slams, he has a shot at another big trophy.

By the way it is quite likely that Federer's and Nadal's rankings will be #3 and #5 by the time the French Open starts! With such rankings we could get Djokovic, Federer, Nadal and Del Potro all in the top half at Roland Garros (!).

Bwahahha, that would be interesting, and Murray winning a knocked out contender from the top half in the finals. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:06 pm

lydian wrote:He'll be after 1 last swansong now...surely he'd rather "do a Sampras" than fade away? Whether he gets that chance is another matter...Wimb or USO this year are his last real chances of a slam...you can bet your life he'll be preparing hard come June and August as he'll know 2014 is wilderness-time...

I think he will go for the Wimbledon Lyd, I am still not convinced Djoko is a good grass court player, the one real obstacle Fed will have his Murray on form, but if Murray and Rafa square up against each other and do a long 5 setter Fed has very good chance of winning his 8th if he makes the final.

I don't think so he will get to number 1 again, may be he will ignore 2013 completely off and focus on 2014 for one big year and call it off.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:30 pm

It's got to be Wimbledon. For every reason it's logical;

* it's where he has most chance
* it's where he has the chance to create brand new history - with #8
* it's the biggest and his favourite event, where it all began
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Where it all began...and ended...that would be poetic.
Again like Sampras with USO.

Yes I agree that although slower is still a grasscourt and always rewards those with the best footwork/agility. Even at 40, Federer is still going to have capability on grass.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2