The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread

+39
JmD
gleesonisgod
Mcgavin Sean
Mickado
Glas a du
pete (buachaill on eirne)
neilthom7
MrsP
RubyGuby
Thomond
Feckless Rogue
Taffineastbourne
Rory_Gallagher
Sin é
Gibson
mankiaow
clivemcl
The Great Aukster
funnyExiledScot
100%beefy
GunsGerms
asoreleftshoulder
SecretFly
GoodinTightSpaces
Shifty
Artful_Dodger
Notch
dragonbreath
yappysnap
Barney McGrew did it
RuggerRadge2611
Hookisms and Hyperbole
doctor_grey
BelfastDickVet
red_stag
rodders
UlstermaninGlasgow
Golden
Standulstermen
43 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread - Page 6 Empty Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread

Post by Standulstermen Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:28 am

First topic message reminder :

May as well let the match thread die and have all our ramblings in one place.

Is kidney gone?
Who will be the new coach?
Will BOD, D'arcy, ROG retire?
Changes for France?

All in here guys.

My own selection for France would be

Kilcoyne (Healy if allowed)
Best
Ross
Ryan
Henderson (would be tempted by him at 6 but our tight 5 needs ball carriers)
POM
SOB
Heaslip
Murray
Jackson
Gilroy
Marshall
BOD
?
Kearney

Cronin, court, fitz, DOC, O'Donnell, Reddan, madigan, ?

Can't decide on who spdeserves the wing/outside back bench slot. Best, Kearney need good games.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 12:29 pm

rodders wrote:
profitius wrote:This is my first post on the match. I missed it but only bothered to watch the first half.

Ireland played some good rugby in the first half. The second half collapse is common these days so no surprised there.

Heres what I think. I wouldn't blame any of the players for the defeat. People are too quick to point fingers but it all semantics. Jackson doesn't kick for Ulster, Earls wasn't the only one who messed up an opportunity and as a unit the Scottish scrum looked much more well drilled so I wouldn't say Court/Kilcoybe are to blame.

The main problem for Ireland is Kidney lacks that top end technical ability. Rugby is a bit like chess and the coaches decisions have a big impact. I remember saying earlier this season that ROG should not be in the Munster squad and here he is coming off the bench to try an rescue Ireland. Paddy Jackson should have been the sub and Madigan should have started. Madigans non selection certainly has nothing to do with form.

Kidneys selections are all over the place too. He usually picks solid, reliable players until they drop but he can also make some good decisions like Luke Marshall and Gilroy. But when the old fellas are fit he goes back to them.

Theres also a problem with a lack of leadership. Not only leadership but they look directionless too.

It wasn't all bad. The silver lining is a new coach coming in.

Yeah good post, pretty spot on there.

Re: O'Connell I'd love to see him back but the volume and seriousness of his injuries is pretty ominous. As with BOD I think the writing is on the wall. I'm sure the mind is willing and they are both capable of the odd vintage performance but their bodies are rapidly abandoning them. Both could no doubt do another provincial season or two but at international level I am sorry to say their days look numbered.

O'Connell's back injury isn't major. He had the same op (removing pressure off a nerve) about 10 years ago and came good.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Ireland post Mortem/new coach/new team thread

Post by rodders Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:26 pm

Sin é wrote:
rodders wrote:
gleesonisgod wrote:Our best options for 13 are IMO

Cave
Bowe
Fitz
Move Marshall to 13 then have Madigan or Sexton at 12?

I think Cave has to be given a chance before he can be judged, even if he only became stop gap before somebody else came along it would be a success.

I think the signs are that the IRFU see Marshall as the next option at 13. I suspect that if the great man does retire D'arcy and Marshall will be lining out together next season....beyond that who knows....

They seem to have given up on Earls, Cave and McFadden and are looking at other options. Did someone mention Trimble was asked to play 13 last week?

The IRFU see Marshall at the next 13 - did you come to this conclusion from watching his passing at the weekend. Smile

How have they given up on Earls - there are fairly obvious signs (no central contract) that McFadden or Cave are not in the IRFU's plans. How have they given up on Earls.

Is that the reason that Trimble is looking at moving to Stade?

They have given up on Earls as a center I was suggesting. They won't give up on Earls per se because he is Ger Earls son so they'll keep picking him somewhere until the cows come home that is clear.

Marshall managed to complete more passes that Earls anyways, in fact he'd probably have won us the game at the death if ROG's passing game hadn't already joined his kicking one in retirement.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:33 pm

You are implying there Rodders ROG passing game ever came out of reitrement lol Earls is a better wing than centre if he starts to look for the pass later in life then maybe he becomes a better centre but for now wing is his best International position we should probably move Bowe inside but I don't know how much Ulster would want that

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:54 pm

Was there talk of Henshaw getting game time at 13 for Connacht? He looks really promising.

For the future I would like our

9's to be: Marmion, Murray, McGrath
10's to be: Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
12's to be: Marshall, Hanrahan, McSharry
13's to be: Fitzgerald, Bowe, Griffin
wings to be: Gilroy, Zebo, O'Dea, Earls, Kearney Jr
15's to be: Kearney, Henshaw, Conway

If I was picking a training squad next November these are probably the backs I'd be looking at. 20 backs may be a bit much for what is normally about a 40 man training squad.

Furthermore I'd like to see this 30 man squad go to America this summer:

LH: Court, Kilcoyne
HK: Strauss, Sherry
TH: Fitzpatrick, Bent, Ross
LK: Tuohy, Stevenson, McCarthy, Toner
BR: POM, TOD, Ryan, Wilson, Henderson

SH: Marmion, Boss, Marshall
FH: Madigan, Jackson
CT: Marshall, McSharry, Cave, Fitz
WG: Earls, Gilroy, O'Dea
FB: Kearney, Henshaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:57 pm

rodders wrote:

Cave
Bowe
Fitz

I think Cave has to be given a chance before he can be judged, even if he only became stop gap before somebody else came along it would be a success.

I think the signs are that the IRFU see Marshall as the next option at 13. I suspect that if the great man does retire D'arcy and Marshall will be lining out together next season....beyond that who knows....

They seem to have given up on Earls, Cave and McFadden and are looking at other options. Did someone mention Trimble was asked to play 13 last week?

Why do you say that Rodders?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:04 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Was there talk of Henshaw getting game time at 13 for Connacht? He looks really promising.

For the future I would like our

9's to be: Marmion, Murray, McGrath
10's to be: Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
12's to be: Marshall, Hanrahan, McSharry
13's to be: Fitzgerald, Bowe, Griffin
wings to be: Gilroy, Zebo, O'Dea, Earls, Kearney Jr
15's to be: Kearney, Henshaw, Conway

If I was picking a training squad next November these are probably the backs I'd be looking at. 20 backs may be a bit much for what is normally about a 40 man training squad.

Furthermore I'd like to see this 30 man squad go to America this summer:

Would you leave all the other senior players at home or do you think theyll be in Aus?

I think id bring one of Archer, Hagan or Loughney and hope one shows some potential. Also Mcfadden i think would be valuable on a tour like this.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:15 pm

I would give Ross the summer off for two reasons:

- We have more chance of unearthing a new player to replace him
- If we don't then Ross needs a good long rest ahead of next year

Don't understand bringing Luke O'Dea - would have thought that McFadden or Trimble or even someone like Tiernan O'Halloran would be ahead in pecking order.

I think a player like Keatley would be a handy guy to have on a tour like that. Like Madigan he covers fullback and flyhalf. Also can fill it at centre. Has been getting lots of game time for Munster and I'd imagine we need three players who can cover scrumhalf.

Do you think Murray will miss the Lions? If not would you really drop him? Don't see that Isaac Boss brings much to the table.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:19 pm

Anyone know why Kidneys contract goes til May instead of finishing right after the 6 nations? Whats he going to be doing in this time?

Surely it could have been used for a new coach to settle in with his new coaches.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Furthermore I'd like to see this 30 man squad go to America this summer:

Don't see any point in taking Ross, Boss and Wilson. The tour should be about finding alternatives not revisiting familiar territory. Court probably has to go as he can cover both sides (in North America). They will definitely need three Hookers as well in case of injury.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

Golden wrote:Anyone know why Kidneys contract goes til May instead of finishing right after the 6 nations? Whats he going to be doing in this time?

Surely it could have been used for a new coach to settle in with his new coaches.

How many coaches would be available after the 6Ns (mid season) most of the ones you would want are working and so under contract.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:23 pm

True Sin but your also paying kidney to do nothing for an extra 2 months. Could have just had a vacant spot

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:24 pm

Golden wrote:
rodders wrote:

Cave
Bowe
Fitz

Because the IRFU asked Ulster to play him there recently and he also played the second half on Saturday outside Brian. D'arcy has another year to run so all things considered I feel quite justified in jumping to wild conclusions on this one.....
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

rodders wrote:
Golden wrote:
rodders wrote:

Cave
Bowe
Fitz

Because the IRFU asked Ulster to play him there recently and he also played the second half on Saturday outside Brian. D'arcy has another year to run so all things considered I feel quite justified in jumping to wild conclusions on this one.....

If a new coach comes in, I can see Cave been given a run.... I mean that offload a few weeks back was beautiful

Last edited by gleesonisgod on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:32 pm

Golden wrote:Anyone know why Kidneys contract goes til May instead of finishing right after the 6 nations? Whats he going to be doing in this time?

Was that not because Kidney wanted to stay with Munster until after the HEC final in 2008?

Having signed him up the IRFU then immediately gave him the summer off as Michael Bradley had to take the team to New Zealand and Australia!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:38 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Furthermore I'd like to see this 30 man squad go to America this summer:

Don't see any point in taking Ross, Boss and Wilson. The tour should be about finding alternatives not revisiting familiar territory. Court probably has to go as he can cover both sides (in North America). They will definitely need three Hookers as well in case of injury.

Murphy and Ruddock are ahead of Ryan at this stage, but that could all change. I also agree that Wilson shouldn't go.

Apparently McGrath was good the other day, wouldn't rule him out. Would bring him ahead of Court.

How Sherry isn't ahead of Cronin I do not know.

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:41 pm

Because Cronin is better with ball in hand and Sherry isn't exactly great with his throwing.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:41 pm

Golden wrote:True Sin but your also paying kidney to do nothing for an extra 2 months. Could have just had a vacant spot

It would be crazy not to have a coaching staff arranged a couple of weeks out from going on a tour. No one would learn anything if a tour was organised like that (i.e., who would select the players to tour, and organise other coaching staff?)

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:43 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

Loughney, One of McGrath/Heaney and Jordi Murphy/Rhys Ruddock for Ross, Boss and Wilson.

And a case could be made for Rob Herring as another hooker? Buckley (D) as well as a backup LH.

Kearney more likely than O'Dea and McFadden likely to go as well.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:44 pm

Sin é wrote:
Golden wrote:True Sin but your also paying kidney to do nothing for an extra 2 months. Could have just had a vacant spot

It would be crazy not to have a coaching staff arranged a couple of weeks out from going on a tour. No one would learn anything if a tour was organised like that (i.e., who would select the players to tour, and organise other coaching staff?)

But its not going to be kidney bringing them on tour. The coach would be in at the same time as he will be now, just kidney wouldn't be getting paid to do nothing.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:48 pm

gleesonisgod wrote:
If a new coach comes in, I can see Cave been given a run.... I mean that offload a few weeks back was beautiful

Very true, Cave is a classy footballer alright. Doesn't seem high on the radar of the current management but who knows what the next boss will think.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:49 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:Because Cronin is better with ball in hand and Sherry isn't exactly great with his throwing.

I'm just basing my opinion on what I've heard from munster fans. They say Sherry's throwing has been good and that he has been excellent in the loose.

However, I don't think that the 'Cronin is better with ball in hand' argument is valid. When he finds space he is good because he is quick but that's not a hookers job. How good is he going straight into contact?

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:51 pm

There's a concept known as a 'caretaker coach' Sin. Suggest you familarise yourself with it.

In actuality, it's a good way to give someone who is applying for the job full time a chance to show what they can do. If it doesn't go well, no harm done, we'll look for someone else. If it does go well, there's a chance it could be formalised into a longer term arrangement. It's what England did with Stuart Lancaster (a success story for them it seems) and Scotland are now doing the same with Scott Johnson.

I would suggest that someone like Mike Ruddock take charge of the summer tour on a temporary basis whilst we try and identify a long-term successor. It's likely that even if we can identify a stronger candidate he won't be able to come immediately anyway.

Someone like Ruddock to take temporary charge from April once the situation with Kidney jumping/being pushed is sorted out and to be head coach on the tour with guys like McLaughlin, Foley etc. who are available to slot in as his backroom staff.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:52 pm

Didn't mean to make that sound harsh on Kidney. He's a nice guy and I hope he gets paid out the rest of his contract after the Six Nations. Realistically we'd want planning for the tour to start right away and there's little point in retaining Declan in this period if his contract runs out in May. We need a caretaker in situ.

Last edited by Notch on Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

I'd take Boss and Ross for experience more than anything else.
I'm never wild on throwing in a bunch of young guys without some experience around them.

I reckon Healy, Best, POC, Ryan, SOB, Heaslip, Sexton, Murray, BOD, Zebo, Kearney will all travel

Possibly Gilroy, Henry, Bowe.

Now that you say it bringing Keatley would make more sense than bringing O'Dea, I just like O'Dea tbh I think he is going to end up as a really good player

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:58 pm

Good shout on Ruddock Notch.

Is O'Dea better than Carr? .... genuine question.... looks like a classy player who maybe isn't physical enough.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

This Summer tour I think is pretty crucial in terms of building a new squad, the guys who will most likely go on the Lions will either be heading out the door towards retirement or are nailed on starters in an Irish jersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

I see we're all going way overboard in bringing young players again. This is a valuable opportunity to plan for the next Autumn and build combinations.

Bring young players who will probably be involved, but bring all the fit senior players who aren't involved in the Lions as well. There's no point if someone like Reddan or Murray is left out having Jackson getting gametime with Marmion or Heaney when he'll be playing in the autumn with Murray or Reddan. If they are available they go.

We don't need to organically blood youth on this tour. It will happen naturally due to injuries, retirements and the Lions tour. There's no point in bringing Michael Heaney ahead of Eoin Reddan or Luke O'Dea ahead of Andrew Trimble unless you genuinely think those guys will be back in the squad in the Autumn.

My Irish Lions;

Healy, Best, Ryan, O'Brien, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, BOD, Zebo, Gilroy and Kearney

So my Irish Summer Tour matchday squad;

Court Sherry Ross
Stevenson McCarthy
Henderson O'Mahony Henry
Reddan Jackson
Marshall Cave
Trimble Fitzgerald Bowe

Cronin Kilcoyne Fitzpatrick Toner Wilson Marshall Madigan Henshaw

Also travelling; Varley (Strauss if fit), Black, Archer, Tuohy, Diack, O'Donnell, Ruddock, Marmion, Keatley, McFadden, Earls
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:29 pm

I'd have Ronan Loughney in there somewhere Notch, He's a good prospect, and plays both sides. Probably ahead of Callum Black.

Can't see Jamie going down under, not with the form of Beattie, Faletau and Morgan (pre-injury). Similarly, if Tommy gets any fitness and form expect him to tour probably ahead of Gilroy.

I'd have a matchday squad of

Kilcoyne Cronin Ross
Stevenson McCarthy
Henderson Heaslip Henry

Reddan Jackson
Marshall Cave
Gilroy Henshaw Fitzgerald

Sherry Court Bent Tuohy O'Mahony Small P Madigan Trimble

Strauss (if fit), Archer, Loughney, Ruddock, Murphy, Marmion, O'Donnell, Keats, McFadden, Earls, Jones, Toner
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I'd have Ronan Loughney in there somewhere Notch, He's a good prospect, and plays both sides. Probably ahead of Callum Black.

No-one plays both sides at this level anymore. Or at least, no-one should now we have six front rows in matchday squads. He needs to specialise week in, week out.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:38 pm

Whoops... Meant Denis Buckley... He's a LH by trade. He's only 22 but has been pushing Wilkinson hard this season.

And in Loughney's defence he's been playing mostly at TH this season and has preferred it to LH, but with White ahead of him, he's not gotten as much gametime as last season.
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:42 pm

Notch wrote:There's a concept known as a 'caretaker coach' Sin. Suggest you familarise yourself with it.

In actuality, it's a good way to give someone who is applying for the job full time a chance to show what they can do. If it doesn't go well, no harm done, we'll look for someone else. If it does go well, there's a chance it could be formalised into a longer term arrangement. It's what England did with Stuart Lancaster (a success story for them it seems) and Scotland are now doing the same with Scott Johnson.

I would suggest that someone like Mike Ruddock take charge of the summer tour on a temporary basis whilst we try and identify a long-term successor. It's likely that even if we can identify a stronger candidate he won't be able to come immediately anyway.

Someone like Ruddock to take temporary charge from April once the situation with Kidney jumping/being pushed is sorted out and to be head coach on the tour with guys like McLaughlin, Foley etc. who are available to slot in as his backroom staff.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with contracts - i.e., most coaches you would want are already contracted to the end of the season and won't be able to pull out before then unless they are contracted to the IRFU (which is why Lancaster & Johnson were brought in). Even Mike Ruddock is contracted to Lansdowne and you are proposing to pull him out of the junior world cup? That event is just as important as the tour to US.

Its not as if this team just picks itself and all the players are known quantities like a tour to NZ or SA.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

Speaking of Jones (UlstermaninGlasgow's squad) what is going on with him, he has really fallen off the face of the international game. I know he picked up another injury but he has not recovered or returned rather the same way he has from the other injuries at all.

I've been really disappointed with him this season when I thought he'd kick on under Penny, unfortunately he has been doing just that....kicking. When was the last time you saw Jones counter from deep and be creative? Frustrating player at the moment for me and if I was Penny I'd have a back 3 of Zebo-Earls-Howlett and leave Jones on the bench

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:30 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Speaking of Jones (UlstermaninGlasgow's squad) what is going on with him, he has really fallen off the face of the international game. I know he picked up another injury but he has not recovered or returned rather the same way he has from the other injuries at all.

I've been really disappointed with him this season when I thought he'd kick on under Penny, unfortunately he has been doing just that....kicking. When was the last time you saw Jones counter from deep and be creative? Frustrating player at the moment for me and if I was Penny I'd have a back 3 of Zebo-Earls-Howlett and leave Jones on the bench

He has been poor this season. Unless he can regain some form he should not be near an Ireland squad. LOD was good at the start of the season but has been injured since.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:13 pm

The next 12 months is massive for Felix Jones. If he goes badly he could end up losing his Munster place. Denis Hurley and Andrew Conway will provide stern competition at fullback. However if he works hard he could take advantage of fact that Kearney has no rival and push him for a place.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:33 pm

I thought it was mental that Henshaw leap frogged him in to the Irish training squad (albeit Jones had been out injured) at this stage though he should be a bit further down the progression trail.

I agree stag I think he is going to find it tough next year, Penny has had a lot of faith in him too to keep selecting him

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:36 pm

Pete, I'm not sure that it is necessarily faith. We have had injuries to Luke O'Dea, Johne Murphy and Doug Howlett which has seen Denis Hurley playing a lot on the wing. With the likes of Simon Zebo and Keith Earls away with Ireland Jones was going to stay playing fullback.

Also did anyone else see Conor O'Shea has officially said he won't be taking Ireland job if Kidney leaves.

Not surprised. He was never going to leave London.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:39 pm

Sin é wrote:
Notch wrote:There's a concept known as a 'caretaker coach' Sin. Suggest you familarise yourself with it.

I suggest you familiarise yourself with contracts - i.e., most coaches you would want are already contracted to the end of the season and won't be able to pull out before then unless they are contracted to the IRFU (which is why Lancaster & Johnson were brought in). Even Mike Ruddock is contracted to Lansdowne and you are proposing to pull him out of the junior world cup? That event is just as important as the tour to US.

Its not as if this team just picks itself and all the players are known quantities like a tour to NZ or SA.

Genius stuff Sin. We'll have no coach for the Summer Tour then. What do you think is going to happen? The IRFU is going to have to put its hand in its pocket to get someone in on a short-term basis whilst looking for a long-term solution. The Junior World Cup is important- but its not as important as the senior team. Ruddock is contracted to the IRFU for that timeframe and is therefore available. Other coaches will likely be drawn from the provinces and the IRFU.

If all the current senior coaches are contracted until May, thats baffling really- just enough time to prepare for the Summer Tour, whilst not covering the tour itself.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:42 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:I thought it was mental that Henshaw leap frogged him in to the Irish training squad (albeit Jones had been out injured) at this stage though he should be a bit further down the progression trail.

I agree stag I think he is going to find it tough next year, Penny has had a lot of faith in him too to keep selecting him

Jones had minor surgery on a knee after that Racing Metro game on January 20th that has kept him sidelined till now.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:48 pm

Notch wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Genius stuff Sin. We'll have no coach for the Summer Tour then. What do you think is going to happen? The IRFU is going to have to put its hand in its pocket to get someone in on a short-term basis whilst looking for a long-term solution. The Junior World Cup is important- but its not as important as the senior team. Ruddock is contracted to the IRFU for that timeframe and is therefore available. Other coaches will likely be drawn from the provinces and the IRFU.

If all the current senior coaches are contracted until May, thats baffling really- just enough time to prepare for the Summer Tour, whilst not covering the tour itself.

I think that the current coaching team will fulfill their contracts:

The current coaching team had been contracted up to the conclusion of the World Cup in October, but the decision of the coaching team will see them remain with the squad until the conclusion of the 2012-13 season.

The summer tour is part of the 2012-13 season.

You see, the IRFU realised a long time ago that they needed coaches for this tour. You may recall that Kidney didn't start the tour to the SH his first season because he didn't have time to prepare the squad and it fell to Michael Bradley because Connacht's season finished early enough.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:51 pm

Sorry can't see any logic for taking Ross on the NA tour.

Ireland need to unearth viable backups at TH, so how are they going to do this if the candidates aren't given a chance to play. The opportunities are limited enough without restricting them even further.

There is really no need on a two Test NA tour to take more than 30 players. It's fine to take some core experience but these games should be used to build the experience of the cover players who aren't getting start time. If the RWC is going to stick with 30 player squads, then Ireland should also get used to the discipline of having only 30 players on tour. That means no more than 5 props and therefore one should be able to cover both sides in case of an injury.

So: 5 Props, 3 Hookers, 3 Locks, 1 lock/backrow, 5 backrow, 3 SH, 2 FH, 3C, 3W, 2 FB

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 27 Feb 2013, 8:36 pm

I still think Heaslip will go with the lions. Faletau will go too and maybe Morgan will displace him but Heaslip was comfortably better than Beattie at the weekend. Captaincy won't be his mind you, not by a long shot.

On the summer tour I would try and get some experience in there but youth has to be a prominent consideration too.

Kilcoyne, Buckley,
Sherry, Cronin
Loughney, Fitz, Archer
Henderson/Browne
McCarthy
POM/Ruddock
Henry/O'Donnell
Murphy/McKeon
Marmion/Murray
Jackson/Madigan
Gilroy/Earls
Marshall/McSharry
Cave/henshaw
Fitz/Trimble
Zebo/?

Theres a bunch of names who could feature. You could throw O'Halloran or Griffin in there too. When is Nathan White IQ because at present he is the best looking prospect for Ireland Sad

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:01 pm

Why not Bowe, stand?

If we start Henshaw at 15 he's gonna learn more from being alongside Bowe than anyone else. And he'll be back playing for a month by then, touch wood.

Anyway, thinking about the coaches, got to ask; what on earth is Greg Feek doing?

Our scrum on Sunday was poor, much less than the sum of its parts. We have a backrow hanging off limply and a second row with no grunt. Scotland overcame us not just because of the battle of the front rows, they worked as an 8 to gain the advantage. We weren't interested.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 27 Feb 2013, 9:14 pm

I still think Bowe might tour with the lions. He is expected to run the 1/4 final close.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed 27 Feb 2013, 10:57 pm

rodders wrote:
They have given up on Earls as a center I was suggesting. They won't give up on Earls per se because he is Ger Earls son so they'll keep picking him somewhere until the cows come home that is clear.

Marshall managed to complete more passes that Earls anyways, in fact he'd probably have won us the game at the death if ROG's passing game hadn't already joined his kicking one in retirement.

What would the IRFU want to pick Ger Earls' son? Very Happy

They will want to keep Keith Earls because a) he is one of the few line breakers in the Irish team and
b) because he can beat a defender.

I'd expect an inside centre to attempt more passes than a wing. Marshall touched the ball 19 times in the game and coughed up 5 turnovers. Still, it was just great to have another line breaker in the team - he made some great breaks.

Earls touched the ball 8 times and was turnedover once for the record.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Thu 28 Feb 2013, 1:25 am

Kidney will go straight after the 6-N. He wont wait till Summer.He may be backward-thinking, but he is not stupid. Its done.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:37 am

Notch wrote:Why not Bowe, stand?

If we start Henshaw at 15 he's gonna learn more from being alongside Bowe than anyone else. And he'll be back playing for a month by then, touch wood.

Anyway, thinking about the coaches, got to ask; what on earth is Greg Feek doing?

Our scrum on Sunday was poor, much less than the sum of its parts. We have a backrow hanging off limply and a second row with no grunt. Scotland overcame us not just because of the battle of the front rows, they worked as an 8 to gain the advantage. We weren't interested.

He's Ireland's parttime scrum coach. The IRFU advertised a role for national scrum coach, working with academies in all provinces and ultimately being the national team scrum coach, but they still haven't filled that position so they asked Feek to work with them part time. Hardly Feeks fault...

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:05 am

Sin é wrote:
Earls touched the ball 8 times and was turnedover once for the record.

Really is that once including or not including the time he butchered the try and was bundled into touch and the time he was pinged for holding on on the deck in front of the ref?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6