The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v England 50-50? Nonsense

+7
thebluesmancometh
A World Cup and 3 Finals
LondonTiger
yappysnap
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
dragonbreath
11 posters

Go down

Wales v England 50-50? Nonsense Empty Wales v England 50-50? Nonsense

Post by dragonbreath Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:05 am

England are clear favourites. Wales have ground out a couple of wins but are still clearly still short on confidence which is affecting decision making on the field. I lost count of the number of overlaps which were ignored only for the chosen option to be a aimless kick. They are just glad to win and this was demonstrated most starkly at the end of the game against Italy. The game was won, but despite the need to get as many points as possible which was evident to all, Hook just booted the ball dead rather than try and get another score. The game I say again could not be lost, but the first instinct was to breath a sigh of relief and get off the park as quick as they could.

England are powerful and consistent at the moment, they are tough to beat and that will be more than enough on this occasion. This game is already won in the heads of the respective players despite the positive platitudes and management/motivation BS "the group has prepared well", "best ever preparation", "confidence is growing" blablabla, that will inevitably pour out of the Welsh camp.

I know conditions were poor and while improvements to the set piece and defence are to be applauded I thought we were very average and racked with fear of failure. We may get past Scotland, but England will be just to much for this group of players. This Time

dragonbreath

Back to top Go down

Wales v England 50-50? Nonsense Empty Re: Wales v England 50-50? Nonsense

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:13 am

The conditions were appalling not just poor, like out in Dublin for England few weeks back it was all about the win.

I agree England will go in as favourites but if we can get another win up in Scotland then thats a bit more confidence under their belts.

AWJ will (most probably) have had a full game under his belt come the 16th and Warburton at least some more game time.

If as you say the game is already won in the players heads (I doubt that with Lancaster in charge) then we have seen time and time again that over confidence is as bad as low confidence.

I think England will win the Championship on points difference as I reckon the will tonk Itlay, I will always have hope that we can beat England at home so maybe they won't get the Slam.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:29 am

I agree, Dragonbreath. Considering the conditions, it was sensible for us to have a kicking gameplan, but the best sides also have the gumption to realise when it's on and put it through the hands. Countless times on Saturday, we'd see Halfpenny and Biggar not even look before launching the high ball.

As for Hook kicking the ball out, that was a disgrace.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:36 am

At home with the history between the sides Wales are favourites. Just. They have home advantage, experience, more caps and big game players with proven track records.

All this doom and gloom and talking up the opposition while playing the underdogs card is more becoming of the Irish Gents.

I thought the Welsh were meant to be optimists?!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:41 am

welsh are clear favourites.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:45 am

Wales by thirty.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:47 am

yappysnap wrote:At home with the history between the sides Wales are favourites. Just. They have home advantage, experience, more caps and big game players with proven track records.

All this doom and gloom and talking up the opposition while playing the underdogs card is more becoming of the Irish Gents.

I thought the Welsh were meant to be optimists?!

Yappy,

I agree the home card is a big one and you are right that we do have the more experience (cap wise) and players who have won Slams and been on Lions tours etc but England have the form.

We had a shocking 1st half against Ireland and a 2nd half that looked good because Ireland relaxed, we played a poor French side (poorest I can remember) and should have beat Itlay by more but the win will build confidence and IF we beat Scotland then thats a bit more confidence.

I reckon England will tonk Italy so they will be coming to Cardiff looking for their first Slam in 10yrs so I guess that in itself will bring added pressure.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:52 am

England must be huge favourites right now, Howler knowing we needed points decided to kill the game by emptying the bench, like the wing was plenty good enough.

Then the players who came on (Hook especially) showed very little bite to go on and keep scoring.

Home advantage is nullified by the fact we will have to chase a big points difference to win the championship (although I suspect Howler will be out for a 3-0 moral victory to make his first campaign a success)

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:55 am

blues,

I don't think we will win the Championship now, our best chance (if we win next 2 games) was to put a high score on the Italians as I reckon England will but stopping them getting the Slam will be nice.

After all I am sure I have read on these boards in the past that a Championship won on points difference is a hollow win Whistle
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:00 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:The conditions were appalling not just poor, like out in Dublin for England few weeks back it was all about the win.

I agree England will go in as favourites but if we can get another win up in Scotland then thats a bit more confidence under their belts.

AWJ will (most probably) have had a full game under his belt come the 16th and Warburton at least some more game time.

If as you say the game is already won in the players heads (I doubt that with Lancaster in charge) then we have seen time and time again that over confidence is as bad as low confidence.

I think England will win the Championship on points difference as I reckon the will tonk Itlay, I will always have hope that we can beat England at home so maybe they won't get the Slam.

Agree with everything apart from the hoping you can beat England bit!

Perversely I think that England might have a better chance of winning if they don't tonk Italy and Wales have an outside chance of getting the tournament win. If Wales need to win by 30+ then they'll probably just focus on the win, if they need say a 15 point margin then maybe that will play on their minds and they'll try and force the game a bit.

Obviously I'll be hoping that England really click and destroy Italy and Wales, but I think that a win on points difference is more likely.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:01 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:blues,

I don't think we will win the Championship now, our best chance (if we win next 2 games) was to put a high score on the Italians as I reckon England will but stopping them getting the Slam will be nice.

After all I am sure I have read on these boards in the past that a Championship won on points difference is a hollow win Whistle

Apparently so.
And all Grand Slams are devalued.

Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:09 pm

well all in the last 10 years anyway

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:24 pm

but your all saying this but Wales are know for a good defence and England have only scored 3 tries and manus try against France should have been a free kick to France for accidental offside because the England player kicked it against his own player which meant it popped out to manu so if Wales cut the penalties out in their own half England are that much of a threat. Wales have scored more tries but still ain't a massive threat to a stong England defence so it is 50/50.
Two strong scrums
Two solid line outs
Two good kickers
Two strong defence
So 50/50
or maybe 55/45 in favour of England due to form but other wise that's all that separates them

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by doddieman Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:40 pm

It'll be an empty grandslam anyway with wales, ireland and france in a doldrums period, scotland finding their way with a new coach and italy still off the pace. England are definitely favourites. I wouldn't even put us (wales) favourites against scotland right now.

doddieman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 25 Feb 2013, 12:46 pm

A World Cup and 3 Finals wrote:Wales by thirty.

You read my mind. Except you left out the parts when Wales had 14 red cards and only George North was left on the field for us.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down