The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

matthysse vs peterson 18th may

+7
BoxingFan88
DaveVDK
azania
Lance
88Chris05
Seanusarrilius
eddyfightfan
11 posters

Go down

matthysse vs peterson 18th may Empty matthysse vs peterson 18th may

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:40 pm

golden boy are looking to put together a in house unification fight (IBF and interim WBC) between lamont peterson (31-1-1) and lucas matthysse (33-2) on the under card of the brook vs alexander show. both men coming of decent wins over kendal holt and mike dallas jr respectively.

this fight for me looks to be a barnstomer and possible foty candidate. both stong men who come forwards, very similar style wise and can't imagine either man taking a step backwards the entire fight.

peterson has the better win of the two over khan, but with the PED issues surrounding the fight as well as a possible home town decision the win is marred a little. lucas has been jobbed in his two biggest fights (alexander and judah) but has looked much better in recent outings, and would be my pick going into the fight.

with amir khan fighting around the same time, and garcia vs judan also happening about that time, the winner of this will likely be offered a fight with one of the big names, so this is a great opportunity for both men.

thoughts?

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2013/matthysse-vs-peterson-possible-for-may-18th-in-washington-dc/

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

matthysse vs peterson 18th may Empty Re: matthysse vs peterson 18th may

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

Nice one Goldenboy if this comes off. Peterson is gamely and will come strong, but MAtthysse will knock him out within ten. Can't wait. Peterson doesn't deserve the belts he has for a few reasons, so hopefully my man Mattysse can relieve him of them Smile

Back and forth action with Mattysse the much harder hitter. Can only end one way for me

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 2:53 pm

Can't see past Matthysse in this one. His career has been marred by bad luck, whereas fortune has clearly favoured Peterson for much of his; shut out by Bradley but still remained a contender on the world scene, lucky to escape with a draw against Ortiz and then, of course, the debacle of his 'victory' over Khan.

They're likely to meet head on due to their styles, but Matthysse hits harder, has the better defence and is probably the fresher of the pair, both physically and mentally.

Matthysse by either a wide, wide decision or late stoppage, for me.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:16 pm

my money will be on Peterson thats for sure. matthysse is very strong, but he struggled with the movement of alexander and judah. i thought he beat judah, but it was close, and judah lacks stamina and heart at times. matthysse style wont work against peterson. if he cant knock him out then i cant see him winning enough rounds.

im convinced a lot of people on here have never watched his fights against judah and alexander.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:21 pm

Lance wrote:my money will be on Peterson thats for sure. matthysse is very strong, but he struggled with the movement of alexander and judah. i thought he beat judah, but it was close, and judah lacks stamina and heart at times. matthysse style wont work against peterson. if he cant knock him out then i cant see him winning enough rounds.

im convinced a lot of people on here have never watched his fights against judah and alexander.

Peterson does not move like either Alexander or Judah. Peterson can be tagged very regularly, and history shows that fighters like Matthysse eat those guys for breakfast

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:23 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:
Lance wrote:my money will be on Peterson thats for sure. matthysse is very strong, but he struggled with the movement of alexander and judah. i thought he beat judah, but it was close, and judah lacks stamina and heart at times. matthysse style wont work against peterson. if he cant knock him out then i cant see him winning enough rounds.

Peterson does not move like either Alexander or Judah. Peterson can be tagged very regularly, and history shows that fighters like Matthysse eat those guys for breakfast

no history of Matthysse eating anybody of petersons ability for breakfast.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:32 pm

Don't think Matthysse really struggled with Alexander at all, to be honest - certainly struggled with Alexander less than Alexander struggled with him in any case, that's for sure!

I take your point on board that Judah caused Matthysse problems with his speed and movement at times (I still had Matthysse winning that fight in any case, although I could have lived with a draw), but Peterson is a different animal; more upright, creates less angles, not as quick and not very subtle.

As I said above, there are similarities between Peterson and Matthysse but the latter just has those edges in most areas, for me. Stripping away the silly and blatantly wrong 'results' of the fights, how they've fared against the best they've come up against is telling, for me; Peterson is scandalously lucky to be 1-1-1 against Khan, Ortiz and Bradley, whereas Matthysse has been terribly unfortunate to go 0-2 against Alexander and Judah.

In the eys of anyone sensible, Matthysse has outperformed Peterson against the better names of the 140 lb weight class in recent years.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:33 pm

Lance wrote:
Seanusarrilius wrote:

no history of Matthysse eating anybody of petersons ability for breakfast.

Style my friend. Style. Olusegsun was as good as Peterson IMO, and tougher, and I believe Matthysse beat him to a pulp. Peterson has one signature win, one. He got that courtesy of terrible reffing and PED's. He also got dropped by Khan, Ortiz twice and even Bradley I think. I don't see how Peterson avoids eating Matthysse leather. He isn't slick like Judah or Alexander, he is very game, too game maybe, Mattysse KO. Easy money

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:39 pm

This fight shouldn't be happening.

Peterson has got what he needed from the juice and for that reason I'm picking him to win. Hope I'm wrong

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Feb 2013, 3:39 pm

azania wrote:This fight shouldn't be happening.

Peterson has got what he needed from the juice and for that reason I'm picking him to win. Hope I'm wrong

You are. Matthysse will beat the juice out of his system. Count on it! Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:12 pm

Olu was never as good as peterson. Olu was fringe world level at best. LP looked a beast against Holt. He's the best opponent lucas will square up to. LP can box and fight and will bea handful. UD to peterson.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveVDK Mon 25 Feb 2013, 4:15 pm

Gonna put my neck out and say Matthyse inside 3, Peterson has always looked vulnerable in the early rounds as Khan, Bradley and Ortiz showed, and there are few more ferocious offensive fighters around then Lucas atm.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 25 Feb 2013, 5:45 pm

peterson has fought the better opposition, and seems to come back stronger each time he has lost. a draw with ortiz and a win over khan is much better than anything on matthysse record at the moment. peterson is pretty quick and has better ring movement than judah. judah just has speed. peterson also has more heart than alexander. if matthysse takes peterson out i will be impressed, but i have seen nothing from him so far to suggest this is gonna be anything other than difficult for him.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 5:51 pm

The fight's in Washington? Easy win for peterson despite him being kd twice and losing every round.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 6:29 pm

No biased referee, man in the hat or testosterone pellets will be able to save Peterson in this one, he is going to get flattened.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 6:33 pm

You forgot to mention that both those fights were 10 rounds and in both those fights they were both a round away from getting pancaked. This will be a 12 round fight and Mattysse has started getting into his flow earlier in the fight, he won't leave it to the Judges anymore.

Peterson is going to get knocked out.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Mon 25 Feb 2013, 6:53 pm

10 rounds or 12 rounds. this would still be the biggest win of matthysse career so far. the best 2 fighters hes faced he never looked like stopping. would be surprised if he stops peterson, and it will be difficult for him to compete with petersons workrate over 12 rounds. good fight though, i guess we will have to wait and see

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:05 pm

Love this fight as Peterson is going to take a real hammering, if the cheat is allowed to box he may as well be getting the snot beat out of him which is what will happen if he fights Matthysse. Lucas has his flaws but Peterson is not the guy to expose them by any stretch and I only see him coming forward against Matthysse and anyone doing that at Light Welter is spending the night in hospital.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:10 pm

Ok. Lets get real here. LP is a step above anyone LM has fought. He's shown his guts and taken to dark places. He is no pushover. I can see him winning. He has a smart trainer who will point out and exploit LMs many qeaknesses. LP is smart enough and durable (juice) enough to capitalise on his weaknesses.

Legit points win for the guy who should be banned.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:22 pm

Peterson isn't really a come forward fighter so isn't going to play into Matthyses hands, he fought that way against Khan but it's not his ordinary style. Peterson by close decision for me not that he should be fighting.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

What ghosty said.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

Had to double check BF88 but the Judah fight was over 12 rounds not 10 rounds, if it's a 10 round fight then it's good saying something like 'they were a round away from getting knocked' as it's an impossibility.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:14 pm

I'd say coming forward is second nature to Peterson personally, Ghosty. He may have garnered some kind of reputation as being a back foot boxer, but marching forward was how he fought Khan, how he beat Holt on his return and also exactly how he managed to get himself put over twice by Ortiz (albeit one of them was an ever so slightly dubious knockdown from memory) in a fight which he lost for my money before receiving a pretty fortunate draw.

I just don't particularly rate the lad in world terms, I guess. He's fought three top level operators in Bradley, Ortiz and Khan and hasn't done enough to earn even a share of the spoils in any of them from where I'm standing, although I concede that there were parts of his performances against Ortiz and Khan to be applauded all the same.

Bit too erratic and open to overcome a man of Matthysse's power and industry over twelve rounds for me, though the style match up should make it an interesting contest regardless of the result.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:32 pm

That's the thing. LP can fight using different styles. He has more in his locker than LM. What lucas brings us very good, but to me the more rounded skills of LP will win out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm

Chris to me Peterson alters his tactics based on his opponent; Khan, Ortiz and Holt are boxers whom don't like pressure applied upon them so he pressured them. Bradley is someone who likes someone coming onto him so he fought a more controlled fight albeit losing a wide decision. Khan, Ortiz and Bradley bring attributes to the table that Matthyse doesn't have. Khan has his speed, Ortiz has his size and Bradley is the most rounded of the lot.

Matthyse may well win but it's not going to be a one sided beatdown that many are predicting, he's too durable and clever for that.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 8:41 pm

We can't write off the effects of his drug use either.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

this fight reminds me of cotto vs margarito II, with everybody hoping the cheat gets KOd.

i think matthysse has improved a lot since the alexnder and judah fights, which just for arguments sake i suffice to say were close fights. he wins both rematch easily now for me. peterson isn't a push over, especially when he fights at home, but i think he might just be out done at his game.

also i wouldn't call peterson anything other than a come forward fighter, not seen much skill from him boxing wise.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:14 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Had to double check BF88 but the Judah fight was over 12 rounds not 10 rounds, if it's a 10 round fight then it's good saying something like 'they were a round away from getting knocked' as it's an impossibility.

My, bad I even looked both up on boxrec before posting that, shows I can't read, the Judah fight was indeed over 12 rounds. Its not going to be anything like that fight though...

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Feb 2013, 10:48 pm

IF judah beats garcia, i think a rematched would be made, not that that would happen

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:27 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:IF judah beats garcia, i think a rematched would be made, not that that would happen

Judah won't want that.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Feb 2013, 11:48 pm

I haven't seen Judah avoid anyone. He's fought a whose who is 2 divisions.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 26 Feb 2013, 2:56 pm

Although i don't feel Peterson deserves anything i think that Matthysse does and at this rate peterson is probably the only big name that would be willing to fight him

Should be a cracker too, Matthysse has the solid defence, heavy hands, tough chin and high workrate. Peterson might not be as tough but he is still a tough SOB and despite getting decked he has come back pretty strong. Wouldn't read too much into the holt fight, holt always goes for 1 shot allowing himself to be outworked or roughed up far too easily for a world title challenger and peterson exploited what alot of others did

Matthysse had improved since the Judah and Alexander losses and has showed that he isn't just a Rios type brawler i.e. head down, guard up, walking in lines taking shots for fun. He is much cuter than that and will probably push the fight like ortiz did untill Ortiz gassed. He has also started alot faster which was a problem when he first stepped up in class

I would say Peterson's about on level terms of alexander but without his awkwardness and speed. People also forget that Khan had him hurt a couple times late in the fight also (as did Bradley) and he isn't a notorious puncher especially in the late rounds when Khan becoems a bit of a pitter patter puncher

Tough fight but i'll go for matthysse KO rounds 9-11 as he isn't going to get the decision.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:37 pm

If Matthysse turns up at 163lbs or whatever again, he'll be too big for Lamont, who will be game, but he just isn't quite good enough, but I think he'll show the exact way to beat Matthysse without actually doing it.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Feb 2013, 6:46 pm

LM's weight and LP's juice evens it all out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:32 pm

Lamont won't be juicing for this fight surely, I would imagine its a VADA testing for the fight again, and him getting caught for a second time would surely finish his career.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 26 Feb 2013, 7:34 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Lamont won't be juicing for this fight surely, I would imagine its a VADA testing for the fight again, and him getting caught for a second time would surely finish his career.

The benefit of it is already done.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 26 Feb 2013, 10:12 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Lamont won't be juicing for this fight surely, I would imagine its a VADA testing for the fight again, and him getting caught for a second time would surely finish his career.

think your right alex about his career been over if he gets caught again. peterson seems to have the PED issue held over him more so than other fighters (berto for example). not saying its wrong as cheats deserve criticism, but it seems to have been more of a focal point with lamont.

i dont know whether VADA testing is involved, but as it's a WBC/IBF unifaction fight i wouldn't be suprised if it wasn't

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down