The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card!

+10
Imperial Ghosty
azania
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
seanmichaels
Rowley
Valero's Conscience
88Chris05
ErmanH
ONETWOFOREVER
Seanusarrilius
14 posters

Go down

May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card! Empty May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card!

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

So here is the list we have so far, courtesy of BoxRec

Floyd Mayweather Jr SC Robert Guerrero 12
Saul Alvarez SC Austin Trout 12
Adrien Broner SC TBA 12
Andres Gutierrez SC TBA 10
Hasim Rahman Jr SC TBA

Floyd, Canelo v Trout and Broner on same card, a ppv worth buying. I think Floyd will want to make a huge splash on his first Showtime card and he knows him versus Guerrero on its own, isn't going to get it done. if Burns was to do the right thing and take the money to fight Broner, this would be spectacular.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card! Empty Re: May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card!

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:13 pm

As of yet 2 good fights there.
I wonder how Guerrero will take on Mayweather. I doubt he will use the same rough housing tactics he used against Barto. Don't see him winning that fight.
Alverez v Trout may be a close one.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card! Empty Re: May 4th is shaping up to be a brilliant card!

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:14 pm

Alvarez v Trout is one for th eboxing fan. The styles may not match up that well (both strong counter punchers), but it is a genuine top clash at the weight

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:14 pm

No one in the states knows who Burns is.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

I liked the way Trout handled Cotto but he did get hit in the early stages Canelo has very heavy hands if he catches Trout early it could be all over but the longer the fight goes on the better for Trout who imo is the better boxer of the 2.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:16 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:No one in the states knows who Burns is.

Yes they do. Broner gets asked about him at his post-fight pressers. Burns also gets mentioned on HBO during last couple of HBO shows involving Broner. Boxing fans know who he is. It is the fight people want at LW. Not saying he is a household name, but he isn't a unknown either.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:17 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I liked the way Trout handled Cotto but he did get hit in the early stages Canelo has very heavy hands if he catches Trout early it could be all over but the longer the fight goes on the better for Trout who imo is the better boxer of the 2.

agreed

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:18 pm

Has anyone read or know when tickets go on sale for this card, have been searching but can't seem to find any info on when they go on general sale? Any advice would be appreciated...

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:21 pm

You can forget Burns appearing here, lads. There's no guarantee that he'll get past Vaquez next month for starters - I see it as a pick 'em, although I'm just about plumping for Burns to edge it - and even if he does I seriously doubt he's going to put himself up against Broner just seven weeks later. I imagine that, if they do fancy taking Broner on, he, Warren and Nelson will want more time than that to negotiate a price worthy of a unified WBO / IBF champion, to work on a game plan and to promote the fight.

Still, Broner, the Alvarez-Trout unification fight and Floyd-Guerrero on the same bill is good going; bloody great going by today's standards, in fact.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:22 pm

I am sure showtime have the details ermietrude.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:25 pm

88Chris05 wrote:You can forget Burns appearing here, lads. There's no guarantee that he'll get past Vaquez next month for starters - I see it as a pick 'em, although I'm just about plumping for Burns to edge it - and even if he does I seriously doubt he's going to put himself up against Broner just seven weeks later. I imagine that, if they do fancy taking Broner on, he, Warren and Nelson will want more time than that to negotiate a price worthy of a unified WBO / IBF champion, to work on a game plan and to promote the fight.

Still, Broner, the Alvarez-Trout unification fight and Floyd-Guerrero on the same bill is good going; bloody great going by today's standards, in fact.

Sad but true. I do think Warren needs to do te right thing and get this fight made (providing he gets past Vasquez). I t will make Burns some decent coin and profile., win or lose.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ErmanH Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:25 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I am sure showtime have the details ermietrude.

Cheers ONETWO, have tried their website but nothing about tickets on there yet. Am pretty sure they would be due for release in the next week or so?

ErmanH

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:26 pm

Does anyone think Floyds stint in the slammer and his inactivity in the ring since Cotto will effect him?

I don't he is an natural. Guerrero has been shooting off his mouth quite a lot recently. He really fancies himself but when he finds he aint getting close to Floyd I'm afraid he will resort to dirty tactics.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:01 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Does anyone think Floyds stint in the slammer and his inactivity in the ring since Cotto will effect him?

I don't he is an natural. Guerrero has been shooting off his mouth quite a lot recently. He really fancies himself but when he finds he aint getting close to Floyd I'm afraid he will resort to dirty tactics.

Guerrero will definitely resort to some roughouse tactics. He may even start that way.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:43 pm

Fantastic news if Broner is added and will definately buy the PPV.

All boxing cards should be like this. Off subject UFC cards are like this as an absolute minium and normally many more high profile fights. Boxing needs to keep this up!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:49 pm

Is no doubt shaping up as a good card but everyone gets dressed up on a first date.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 27 Feb 2013, 3:56 pm

Rowley wrote:Is no doubt shaping up as a good card but everyone gets dressed up on a first date.

Aye, May 4th is a long time away in boxing. Plenty enough for injuries, contract disputes and failed drug tests at least.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Wed 27 Feb 2013, 4:09 pm

Absolutely no chance that Burns fights Broner on this card, no chance

First of all he needs to beat Vasquez and Vasquez is very awkward and hard to figure out

Secondly the preperation time, he would have 6/7 weeks after the Vasquez fight untill May 4th. Given that the Vasquez fight won't be no easy task, you would bet that at the very least he would take a week off with his family and to recover. He has already rejected Broner on the Feb card becuase he didn't have adequate time to prepare and he had more than 7 weeks then as his december opponent pulled out

Back to the card it really is shaping up nicely. Mayweather of 2/3 years ago would have outclassed and busted up the Guerrero who turned up against Berto and Aydin. However, it's not the same mayweather. He didn't choose to stand like he did vs Cotto, his legs are abandoning him and like we saw against Ortiz and mosley he has become more aggressive and takes more shots as he himself knows his limtations. The cotto fight would be a year away by the times he fights Robert, 3 of those months being spent in a cell with 1 hour a day of activities. For a gym rat like Maywetaher this could be catastrophic to his perfomance. He should win but it'll be entertaining and good value for money as he will have to stand and Robert will bring it and apply lots of lot pressure

Canelo vs Trout is huge, and while not a FOTY type fight it would be intresting and in every right is a headliner on its own and given Canelo's legion of fans it wouldn't do awfully on PPV. Broner's rep is also growing at an alarming rate and he himself is a headliner and makes huge numbers even against fighter without much pulling power like Perez, rees etc

Would be nice to see gutierrez, haven't seen him yet but is making waves at 126 and is a 19 year old mexican with a fair old whack on him

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:15 pm

Anyone know what Rahman Jnr is like?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 27 Feb 2013, 5:57 pm

This will be do big big numbers, you have 4 sellers involved in Mayweather, Broner, Alvarez and Guerrero with two very good fights, can see Broner taking on a pretty useful opponent as well.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 27 Feb 2013, 6:11 pm

Already reading on Boxingscene that Canelo won't sign to fight Trout on May 4th unless May signs to fight him in September. Sad

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Thu 28 Feb 2013, 1:08 am

Canelo looks set to face trout on April 20th non PPV

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Feb 2013, 1:21 am

yup. Card just got 50% less exciting

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu 28 Feb 2013, 1:28 am

Yup, Mayweather wouldn't commit to Canelo in September so his team have told GBP they want out of the May 4th date and to headline their own show on April 20th.

Such a shame as this was shaping up to be a massively impressive undercard. Take this fight out and it loses a fair bit of its sparkle.

But on the upside at least we've got 2 young guns at the peak of their powers going at it. Unless Canelo knows something we don't am surprised he demanded FMJ to sign on the dotted line before he gets past Trout, which is not exactly a guarantee to happen and I for one think an upset could be on the cards.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Feb 2013, 2:31 am

Yeah, Canelo v Trout is still a great fight. The fact it is being made is incredible given the ducking that goes on these days

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:11 am

Dissapointing. Boxing needs to put these super cards together. The boxers have too much power and should be told to fight then!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:30 am

Am I being childish and silly and wishing Mayweather would just retire and do one from the game. I'm sick to death of his silly games and boorish behaviour, firstly he jerked about with the potential super fight with Pacman acting like a tool and now after agreeing a six fight deal with showtime ,won't commit to fight the biggest name bar Pacquaio avail for him.

Fair enough don't look past respective opponents, I'm no lawyer can't be that hard to sign something that says yeah I'll fight him next if both win our matchups in the next 6 to 10 months.

Top class fighter and top class bell-end.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 28 Feb 2013, 12:44 pm

Alvarez v Trout has been pulled from this card (at Canelo's request, apparently) and has been rescheduled for April 20th.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 28 Feb 2013, 1:16 pm

Rodney wrote:Am I being childish and silly and wishing Mayweather would just retire and do one from the game. I'm sick to death of his silly games and boorish behaviour, firstly he jerked about with the potential super fight with Pacman acting like a tool and now after agreeing a six fight deal with showtime ,won't commit to fight the biggest name bar Pacquaio avail for him.

Fair enough don't look past respective opponents, I'm no lawyer can't be that hard to sign something that says yeah I'll fight him next if both win our matchups in the next 6 to 10 months.

Top class fighter and top class bell-end.

Cheers Rodders

Nope. He never does what the fans want. Annoying

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 28 Feb 2013, 4:16 pm

I guess Canelo doesn't want to be used to make Mayweather money unless he gets some guarentee's and i guess he's well in his right to do so

PEople soemtiems forget that despite being 22, his fan base is huge and his viewing figures and purses are quite frankly hard to believe for someone who has yet to really prove himself. He's a big enough aname to carry a PPV card and Trout-Canelo is a huge fight, and based on views on this website and many others this fight is alot more intruiging than Mayweather-Guerrero

Mayweather has used cinco de Mayo ato his advantage over his last few years and his strong PPV figures are helped by a undercard consisting of big mexican names such as Canelo and Morales

If it's true behind Canelo's reasoning than Floyd has only himself to blame. The only logical fight should both Floyd and Canelo win is for them to fight each other as Pacquiao, marquez, martinez wont happen anytime soon and Sept 15th is the perfect date for both

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down