The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd Patterson was a true fighter.

+6
rapidringsroad
gboycottnut
TRUSSMAN66
TheMackemMawler
azania
ONETWOFOREVER
10 posters

Go down

Floyd Patterson was a true fighter. Empty Floyd Patterson was a true fighter.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:01 pm

On September 25th 1962 heavyweight world champion Floyd Patterson fought Sonny Liston at Comiskey park Chicago. NO ONE gave him a chance. I believe even he had doubts himself. This fight was socially and politically important at the time due to the ever growing so called citizens rights movement. As with any movement hero's were needed so groups such as the NAAC singled out quite man Floyd Patterson as symbol.

Sonny Liston on the other hand was not just making news on the back pages but the front as well due to his incredible number,for a sporting celebrity, of run ins with the law. He was a man of few words, little time for the press and of course his links to the mob. As we know Liston was a battering ram of a fighter who just chopped his way towards a title shot. A title shot NO ONE wanted him to have. The public were against it as they were too aware of his shady side, Cus D'mato Pattersons trainer was said to not want the fight and used Liston's ties with mafiosi as a reason for not letting his man, the champ, take the fight and even the civil rights organizations did not want this fight to take place due to the image of Liston in the public's eye.

However 1 man did want the fight and that was the champ Floyd Patterson. In an interview he stated that he saw no reason to block Liston because he knew and understood the background Liston came from. He could relate to Liston and thought it only fair that a man who worked hard for the shot should get one. Patterson knew I believe in himself that he could not beat Liston. In today's game there are many examples of fighters ducking each other for monetary gain or just being plain scared. And I don't recall a fighter being as destructive as Liston.

I just wanted to point this out make of it what you will because I have always read criticisms of Floyd Patterson and never really knew why. Can anyone fill me in on why he has sort of a tainted legacy??

His actions prove he was true to the sport.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Floyd Patterson was a true fighter. Empty Re: Floyd Patterson was a true fighter.

Post by azania Thu 28 Feb 2013, 8:38 pm

His legacy is tainted because he was a crap champion.

azania

Back to top Go down

Floyd Patterson was a true fighter. Empty Re: Floyd Patterson was a true fighter.

Post by TheMackemMawler Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:28 pm

Without knowing too much about him and only seeing him box. I gotta say he's one of my favourite fighters.

Underrated.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:30 pm

Funny the OP say's he was a true fighter and then picks out the one fighter he crapped his pants against as an example why!!!

I think he was a good man....a gentleman.......and a good fighter that could have been better with more confidence......

RIP..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 28 Feb 2013, 9:56 pm

The fact he was scared (as you say) yet still took the fight proves my point. He could have listened to everyone else and history would label him a ducker. As it goes people like you view him as a coward or something which should be addressed.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:25 am

azania wrote:His legacy is tainted because he was a crap champion.

That is because during the years when he was champion (after the retirement of the great Rocky Marciano), there just weren't much in the way of genuine opposition challengers/opponents (apart from Archie Moore) who were actually good enough to become a Heavyweight World Champion.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:04 am

I agree with you OneTwo, Patterson was a true fighter,and despite anzania's inane comment he was Champion and lost it to a fighter that he must have known was going to give him problems. He was always one of my favourite fighters and for his size which today would be classed as a Light Heavy he had a one punch knockout ability.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:09 am

Floyd is a guy I've a lot of time for in many ways you would struggle to imagine a guy less suited to the life of a fighter. He was once interviewed about fighting Liston and the possibility of Liston beating him his response was "If there is someone out there who can beat me in a fair fight I'd rather him have the crown than me" Which other fighter says that.

Yet despite this apparent lack of conviction Floyd was willing to face the best, gets a bit of a rough ride because D'Amato's machinations frequently prevented him doing so. As the original article alludes to he was certainly a big driving force behind Liston getting the title shot he deserved.

There is a true story about the Johannsen rematch which tells you everything you need to know about Floyd. The fight was due to take place in Miami in a venue which at the time was segregated. Floyd had it written into his contract that if on the night the venue was not completely unsegregated the promoters would have to pay $10,000 to the NAACP.

On fight night the fight went off in a fully unsegregated venue so Floyd gave the NAACP the $10,000 out of his own pocket. As Cus D'Amato used to say God only made one Floyd Patterson.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

Good reply there rowly.

I think we should put the myth that Floyd was some sort of coward, which sticks with his name today, banished from this forum as it is clear by his actions that he was an honorable fighter and champion.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 6:49 pm

Patterson often stated that his fear of letting down his team, friends and family was more painful to him that any beating he could ever take. A truly remarkable man who often claimed he was undeserving of the praise or accolades he received and, in the great pantheon of fighters much surely be p4p one of the nicest and most genuine men ever to lace up a pair of gloves.

Never the greatest fighter but one of the biggest hearts in and out of the ring as you're ever likely to see.

Back to top Go down

Post by NathanDB10 Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm

Very good post, Patterson was a great fighter IMO, and is vastly underrated. Quickest hands in HW history, youngest champ and first fighter to regain the title, all of which make him an great fighter for my money.

NathanDB10

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:29 pm

Patterson gets a lot of stick because he wasn't a great heavyweight. Won the vacant title against a 40 year old light heavyweight, defended against some really ordinary fighters (managing to get knocked out by one along the way) then lost badly to the first great Heavyweight he fought, twice. He could have potentially been a great Light Heavyweight but we'll never really know as he moved up to the Heavys for the money.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:42 pm

It was his post championship career where he proved what a fine fighter he was, Machen, Bonavena and Chuvalo were no mugs while he was robbed blind against both Quarry and Ellis.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:48 pm

NathanDB10 wrote:Very good post, Patterson was a great fighter IMO, and is vastly underrated. Quickest hands in HW history, youngest champ and first fighter to regain the title, all of which make him an great fighter for my money.

Don't let TRUSS hear you say that, his championing of Tony Tubbs in that regard is near legendary.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down