The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time?

+10
majesticimperialman
Taffineastbourne
glamorganalun
Morgannwg
maestegmafia
Cardiff Dave
bedfordwelsh
LondonTiger
RubyGuby
gboycottnut
14 posters

Go down

Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time? Empty Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time?

Post by gboycottnut Fri 01 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

Who has been Wales best ever lineout jumper (without the assistance of lifting techniques now used) to have donned the red Welsh jersey since they first played international rugby? I would go for either Roy John who was a fantastic lineout expert in the 1950's or Delme Thomas who had similar lineout expertise in the 1960's to early 1970's.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time? Empty Re: Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time?

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

Alan Martin & Norster thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time? Empty Re: Wales best lineout Jumper of All-Time?

Post by LondonTiger Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:57 pm

Norster was the best I have seen.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 01 Mar 2013, 1:58 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Alan Martin & Norster thumbsup

Yes both are excellent lineout jumpers, as were Kevin Moseley and Paul Arnold both of whom would have made an excellent second-row pairing for Wales from 1990 to 1992.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:12 pm

Martin and Norster for me
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

How good am I Bedford eh thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:05 pm

RubyGuby wrote:How good am I Bedford eh thumbsup

Great minds Ruby, though that said if he had knuckled down and hadn't liked the fags and beer so much then I think Chris 'one man riot' Wyatt could have been a great modern day 2nd row.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:08 pm

And I bet you've got a soft spot for Geoff Wheel thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:12 pm

RubyGuby wrote:And I bet you've got a soft spot for Geoff Wheel thumbsup

OK Ruby thats spooky now do you secretly stalk me cos yes I do . Hug
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:15 pm

Like you said - Great minds, similar experiences - we just recognise class - I won't scare you anymore but that red tie on St David's day just doesn't work for you thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:33 pm

Norster and a better lineout jumper than a chief exec.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:48 pm

Adam Jones is a better line out jumper than Norster is a chief exec thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 01 Mar 2013, 3:53 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Adam Jones is a better line out jumper than Norster is a chief exec thumbsup

Laugh

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 01 Mar 2013, 4:09 pm

gboycottnut wrote:

Yes both are excellent lineout jumpers, as were Kevin Moseley and Paul Arnold both of whom would have made an excellent second-row pairing for Wales from 1990 to 1992.

Why the obsession with Paul Arnold?

You constantly bring him up.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Fri 01 Mar 2013, 5:49 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Adam Jones is a better line out jumper than Norster is a chief exec thumbsup

laughing laughing laughing
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Fri 01 Mar 2013, 7:05 pm

Lee Byrne, according to the Scots Erm
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 01 Mar 2013, 9:30 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
gboycottnut wrote:

Why the obsession with Paul Arnold?

You constantly bring him up.

Well he is a big lad who wears a white headband and for me was the closest rival in Welsh rugby at that time of the late 1980's-early 1990's to another Paul - the big England lock forward Paul Ackford. Also Arnold could provide flexibility to the Welsh pack by being able to play at number 8. He scored a very good try V Ireland in 1991.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:01 pm

+1, K Mosley was also very good but Norster stuffed Mosley down at Cardiiff I think it was a semifinal of the Welsh cup, the hooker also had a lot to do with their success. You can't compare with today's jumpers because of the lifting.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Fri 01 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

glamorganalun wrote:

+1, K Mosley was also very good but Norster stuffed Mosley down at Cardiiff I think it was a semifinal of the Welsh cup, the hooker also had a lot to do with their success. You can't compare with today's jumpers because of the lifting.

Well Norster had the advantage over Moseley in that his side's hooker was the Welsh hooker Ian Watkins who I think was the best lineout thrower in Welsh rugby at that time. Moseley on the other hand had a less skilled and experienced hooker throwing in for his team's lineouts. Incidentally does anyone know what club team Moseley played for when these 2 excellent lineout experts played against each other? Also does anyone remember the sole rare occasion in which both Norster and Moseley teamed up to make the lock forward duo for Wales in international rugby, but sadly it was against the mighty All Blacks who then had a great lock forward duo themselves of Murray Pierce and Gary Whetton. It would have been very interesting had Wales persisted with the Moseley and Norster second row partnership for the 1989 Five Nations Championship with a titanic battle V England's great lineout of Wade Dooley and Paul Ackford being the highlight in that particular championship season.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:05 pm

Delme Thomas.Top bloke as well!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:26 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Delme Thomas.Top bloke as well!

Apparently he used to prepare for rugby matches by eating 3 boiled eggs in the morning.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 02 Mar 2013, 2:35 pm

Morgannwg wrote:Lee Byrne, according to the Scots Erm

Not sure about a better jumper. More like a better ( diver) than any other player. Rolling Eyes

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 02 Mar 2013, 10:06 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Lee Byrne, according to the Scots Erm

Not sure about a better jumper. More like a better ( diver) than any other player. Rolling Eyes

Yeah go and ruin the joke with your stupidity and regurgitation why don't you picard.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 03 Mar 2013, 6:59 am

I thought Derek Quinnell was pretty good, I remember he once jumped so hard in a test against the All Blacks that the resulting updraught of air sent Andy Haden flying.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sun 03 Mar 2013, 8:12 am

RubyGuby wrote:How predictable and clichéd am I Bedford eh thumbsup

There, that's better.

We all know it was Phill May...

Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 03 Mar 2013, 9:41 am

Gareth Llewellyn for me, because pretty much for his entire career he was Wales ONLY lineout option so the opposition always knew where the ball was going and with Garin Jenkins throwing to him for most of it, it's a wonder he managed to get anything!

I'll never forget to French game in 1996 when he stole all their throws at the front of their line out when Wales were hanging on grimly for the win, he was sensational. ven on their own throw they weren't getting the ball!

However if this was a live debate and Geoff Wheel was there I'd say Geoff Wheel. Because I hard what happened if you disagreed with him.. censored
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:02 am

Glas a du wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:How predictable and clichéd am I Bedford eh thumbsup

There, that's better.

We all know it was Phill May...

Very Happy
boxing Bring it on Fat Boy thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:07 am

You took your time Very Happy
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:16 am

Not on here on the weekends mate thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:20 am

Is that the 5 and 2 diet?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:39 am

Glas a du wrote:Is that the 5 and 2 diet?

thumbsup 5 pints 2 shorts - Laptop is in front of me Mon-Fri - Sat kids play rugby Sun dad golfs etc etc

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon 04 Mar 2013, 9:57 am

Shifty wrote:Gareth Llewellyn for me, because pretty much for his entire career he was Wales ONLY lineout option so the opposition always knew where the ball was going and with Garin Jenkins throwing to him for most of it, it's a wonder he managed to get anything!

I'll never forget to French game in 1996 when he stole all their throws at the front of their line out when Wales were hanging on grimly for the win, he was sensational. ven on their own throw they weren't getting the ball!

However if this was a live debate and Geoff Wheel was there I'd say Geoff Wheel. Because I hard what happened if you disagreed with him.. censored

Well done Shifty
I was going to suggest Gareth Llewelyn, clever player, full of heart, and I cannae remember him every losing a lineout at the highest level
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon 04 Mar 2013, 10:01 am

thumbsup My lasting memory of Gareth Llewllyn is him bottling out of a straight forward tackle in that defeat to S Africa, just dipping his shoulder ineffectively into a player running at him. It's a shame Gareth played in such a shoite welsh team Wales

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Mon 04 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Shifty wrote:Gareth Llewellyn for me, because pretty much for his entire career he was Wales ONLY lineout option so the opposition always knew where the ball was going and with Garin Jenkins throwing to him for most of it, it's a wonder he managed to get anything!

Well done Shifty
I was going to suggest Gareth Llewelyn, clever player, full of heart, and I cannae remember him every losing a lineout at the highest level

I can. He got completely cleaned out in the lineout by the taller 6ft 8 England lock Wade Dooley in the Five Nations Championship match at Cardiff in 1991, despite him Llewellyn having the advantage of having his brother Glyn Llewellyn as his second-row partner jumping at the front of the lineout with the tallish Paul Arnold in the Mervyn Davies position at the back of the lineout.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 07 Mar 2013, 6:22 pm

RubyGuby wrote: thumbsup My lasting memory of Gareth Llewllyn is him bottling out of a straight forward tackle in that defeat to S Africa, just dipping his shoulder ineffectively into a player running at him. It's a shame Gareth played in such a shoite welsh team Wales

I rememeber something similar in 1996 on the tour to Australia in the first test, Llewellyn shoulder charged an Aussie back on his try line knocking him back, but an aussie forward caught the back and hurled him over the try line. It didnt matter though we were being smashed off the park anyway.

I always liked Llew though as a player. Hug
Hell in those days the only thing we won was a wooden spoon!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:47 am

Shifty wrote:
RubyGuby wrote: thumbsup My lasting memory of Gareth Llewllyn is him bottling out of a straight forward tackle in that defeat to S Africa, just dipping his shoulder ineffectively into a player running at him. It's a shame Gareth played in such a shoite welsh team Wales

I rememeber something similar in 1996 on the tour to Australia in the first test, Llewellyn shoulder charged an Aussie back on his try line knocking him back, but an aussie forward caught the back and hurled him over the try line. It didnt matter though we were being smashed off the park anyway.

I always liked Llew though as a player. Hug
Hell in those days the only thing we won was a wooden spoon!

Apart from the championship in 94

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 08 Mar 2013, 7:53 am

Best Welsh jumper ever?

Welsh jumper

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down