The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter

+8
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
eddyfightfan
88Chris05
Small Time
Young_Towzer
Jimmythebullet
Liam_Main
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
12 posters

Go down

Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter Empty Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 01 May 2011, 3:26 pm

Source: Boxrec.com
The quality of boxers appearing in Matchroom's Prizefighter tournaments continues to improve. The latest addition to the franchise's ranks is Sheffield's former WBC light-welterweight world champion, Junior Witter.

Although Witter is undoubtedly in the twilight of his years as an athlete, it's less than two years ago since he was boxing, albeit unsuccessfuly, for the world title against Devon Alexander (pictured) and he was world champ himself less than three years ago.

I put the most predictable of questions to him last night - surely Prizefighter won't suit his style?

"That's what everyone keeps telling me!" replied the affable Ingle fighter. "Everyone keeps telling me it's not made for my style.

"But if you look at when I had 15 knockouts in a row (between 2000 and 2005) a lot of them were early and inside three rounds."

Witter certainly doesn't view engaging in Prizefighter as beneath him.

"As long as I'm in the ring, I'm happy."

Also included in the June 7th welterweight tournament, which will be made at 10st 9lbs, are former opponent Colin Lynes and Yassine El Maachi.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter Empty Re: Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter

Post by Liam_Main Sun 01 May 2011, 5:50 pm

This is Witters last chance he lost his last fight and if he doesn't win this he'll retire.After seeing Witters last fight I think this will be the end for him he didn't look near as good as he once was.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter Empty Re: Junior Witter to appear in prizefighter

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 01 May 2011, 5:58 pm

Didn't like him from the start don't think prizefighter suits him at all even when he was in his prime.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmythebullet Sun 01 May 2011, 6:09 pm

I'm surprised by this. He must be desperate.

Jimmythebullet

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Sun 01 May 2011, 6:10 pm

Like Liam said last chance. If he wants to keep boxing what else can he do?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 02 May 2011, 11:25 am

He was about 2 or 3 levels above the likes of El maachi in his prime, that has gone now but i'd be surprised if he didnt win it

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 11:31 am

Not so sure mate the three rounds fast paced format won't suit Junior. In his prime he would win no bother but he looked well past it in his last fight. I would be suprised if he won tbh.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Small Time Mon 02 May 2011, 11:53 am

Stylistically it's a nightmare for him.....and he surely must know this.

If this is the end for him (and you'd think it has to be) he certainly won't be missed by me.....one of the most boring boxers out there, prime and all.

Small Time

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 02 May 2011, 12:05 pm

It's the natural next step in terms of where his career currently is, however it's anything but natural in relation to his style. That said, Witter has shown a decent enough dig on a few occasions, so I still reckon he'll be dangerous if he can adapt. He's been a slow starter for the most part, but what some seem to be forgetting is that virtually nobody has every been able to get off to a flyer against him, either. His style takes a lot of breaking down and I expect he'll be too good for the majority of the lads in Prize Fighter.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 02 May 2011, 1:39 pm

when/where is this prizefighter? i'm a big fan of the prizefighters and if its as cheap as the heavyweight one its well worth the money

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 1:49 pm

June 7th will be either London or Liverpool.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 02 May 2011, 2:12 pm

nice, hopefully should be able to get to that- im going to the heavyweight one this weekend, my first ever time going to a professional bout- hopefully should be full on action

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 2:18 pm

Looks good Eddy just waiting on Oquendos replacement so I can put it up on the prediction league. You heard anything?
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 02 May 2011, 2:23 pm

i honestly liked Junior, and thought he was shown no respect, especially off the football related boxing community who were on Hatton's di**, and knew nothing about what had happened, whether people like it or not, he avoided Junior when he held a much better title in the WBC to fight roadsweepers like Urango, and then Malignaggi who also wasnt in the same league as Witter. I liked Hatton but there's no logic in that, they would of sold out a football stadium without a doubt and made a ton of money, also would of been a quality clash of styles, and i would of backed Witter to walk him onto some unorthodox shots

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 02 May 2011, 2:27 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Looks good Eddy just waiting on Oquendos replacement so I can put it up on the prediction league. You heard anything?

no not yet, fres was my choice too- probably fancy johnson or fields for it now. there was talk of roy jones jnr at the beginning of the tourniment but doubt that anymore, i think he's schedules to fight somewhere else now

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 02 May 2011, 2:39 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:
prettyboykev wrote:Looks good Eddy just waiting on Oquendos replacement so I can put it up on the prediction league. You heard anything?

no not yet, fres was my choice too- probably fancy johnson or fields for it now. there was talk of roy jones jnr at the beginning of the tourniment but doubt that anymore, i think he's schedules to fight somewhere else now

RJJ is fighting denis Lebedev at crusier weight. I fancy field to take it personally.

Junior should just retire now. He doesn't throw enough to attract the judges and I these tournaments people throw bombs all round. He will be hard to tag as usual but in prizefighter I afraid it doesn't win you points.

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 2:40 pm

He's got a fight next month a cruiser weight Dennis Lebedev of Russia. Rahman was talked about before the names were announced would be good if it was him. Pity Evander Holyfield is fighting this weekend he would have done it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by aja424 Mon 02 May 2011, 4:44 pm

I think that with relatively inexperienced fighters rushing in on him, Witter will find good opportunities of countering with good effect. Also his stamina issues have come into play after 7-8 continuous rounds, which will not be the case in pf.

aja424

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Mon 02 May 2011, 10:38 pm

He's not what he used to be though. He looked awful in his last fight.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Tue 03 May 2011, 12:19 am

i agree he's not what he used to be, he used to be world class fighter imo now he's shot to bits, the Bradley fight seemed to take something away from him

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by kevchadders Tue 03 May 2011, 1:46 pm

prettyboykev wrote:Didn't like him from the start don't think prizefighter suits him at all even when he was in his prime.

Agreed.

As we seen with Robin Reed in the last prizefighter, you need to go hell for leather for 3 rounds. Witters style is obviously suited over 12 rounds, so can see him going the same way as reed where he looks classy in the ring but doesnt throw enough leather to win the rounds.

Maybe he wil adapt, but can see it myself

kevchadders

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Tue 03 May 2011, 4:05 pm

[quote="kevchadders"][quote="prettyboykev"]Didn't like him from the start don't think prizefighter suits him at all even when he was in his prime.[/quote]

Agreed.

As we seen with Robin Reed in the last prizefighter, you need to go hell for leather for 3 rounds. Witters style is obviously suited over 12 rounds, so can see him going the same way as reed where he looks classy in the ring but doesnt throw enough leather to win the rounds.

Maybe he wil adapt, but can see it myself[/quote]

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Tue 03 May 2011, 4:21 pm

Welcome aboard, no - mas. Good to see you made it over, as I always enjoyed your input at the old forum. I hope you enjoy this one.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by no-mas Tue 03 May 2011, 6:03 pm

Thanks windy mate

no-mas

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 03 May 2011, 6:15 pm

Although I don't think he will win I would rather see him in prizefigter than up against a younger guy like Brook or Gavin over 10 or 12 rounds, because if he wants to keep fighting domestic level will be about it.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down