The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact

+9
talkingpoint
Dolphin Ziggler
Mr H
Nakatomi Plaza
Hero
Brilliant_yep
ncfc_Tooze
Shot 21 LCFC
Adam D
13 posters

Go down

Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact Empty Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:23 pm

It turns out it was D-Lo after all.

What's the point in that, he won't wrestle so why has he been included?

Where is this story actually going??????

Back to top Go down

Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact Empty Re: Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact

Post by Adam D Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

You ask what the point is - he is one of the senior management in storyline mode. In other words the higher powers of TNA ar in Aces and Eights. Pretty significant as far as the storyline goes.

Taz wont wrestle either (nor will Hogan) so I dont get the relevance of your point.

Its a perfectly reasonable and logical booking, if not surprising. At least they carried on with the storyline they set in motion with the Briscoe gut check.

The onyl question now is who the brain is behind the Aces and Eights.

The only possible candidates are:

Hulk Hogan
Bully Ray
Brooke
(a combination of the above 3)
Sting
Jeff Hardy

or non on screen talent like:

Jeff Jarrett
Eric Bischoff

The most logical storyline will be Brooke and Bully.

I would like to see it be Hogan to be honest.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact Empty Re: Aces and Eights - VP revealed - Contains spoilers for Impact

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:43 pm

Dont complain - you're looking at the real deal now!!!!!!!

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by ncfc_Tooze Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:51 pm

its gonna be russo in a famous russo swerve

ncfc_Tooze
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

I don't follow TNA too closely,is his head still attached to his shoulders by a swivel joint?

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Mar 2013, 12:57 pm

If you were in charge of TNA and had a blank canvas in which to put together a large stable that are supposedly the current main heels in the federation would you pick the following?

D-Von Dudley
Director of Chaos
Mike Knox
Ken Anderson
Wes Briscoe
Garrett Bischoff
Taz
D'Lo Brown

Just look really at those names, you couldn't pick a worse collection of no-draws in the industry.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:02 pm

Aces and Eight have a commentator (Taz), and a backstage agent (D-Lo), as the VP. Using this logic the President will either be a ring announcer or a referee.

Using my powers of deduction, I predict the leader will be one of the following:

Christy Hemme
Earl Hebner

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:14 pm

Could be Dave the cameraman for their logic.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:15 pm

Hero wrote:If you were in charge of TNA and had a blank canvas in which to put together a large stable that are supposedly the current main heels in the federation would you pick the following?

D-Von Dudley
Director of Chaos
Mike Knox
Ken Anderson
Wes Briscoe
Garrett Bischoff
Taz
D'Lo Brown

Just look really at those names, you couldn't pick a worse collection of no-draws in the industry.

It doesnt look on paper, I agree.

However, I have no real problem with Gallows (wish he had been booked stronger) as I think he looks a genuine badass.
Briscoe I think has talent so looking forward to seeing how he goes with Angle.
D-Von I have never rated. But his work in A&8s has been better than he has done before.
Anderson could be big but I dont think this is the role for him. I see him turning on A&8s at some point and being a plant by Sting.
Knox I dont really know. He is a big guy but hasnt done anything yet.
Bischoff is rubbish.
Taz can cut a great promo when he isnt commentating so no problem with that either.
DLo - who knows?

It looks like a bunch of no marks but together, they have performed well with terrible booking. I am enjoying the storyline more than I should and that is down to the individuals on display. AND they have the best entrance music!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:27 pm

Their answer though each week just seems to be 'lets throw another crap wrestler or even worse a guy who used to be a wrestler but now cant wrestle into the mix' and dilute the product even further.
I really want to know who on earth in TNA pitched the idea of A&8s and why it got through the creative process. Main Event Mafia was bad enough but at least you could understand the thought process behind it, guys clinging onto power past their prime against the new generation. This is just 'we're bad guys because we like strippers and drinking'.

Look at the difference between them and WWE's The Shield.
Both arrived around the same time (A&8s before).
Both did run ins as a faction.

Yet The Shield not just continue to look strong but have improved week upon week.
Every memeber brings something different to the group.
They've not been diluted by adding more and more members.
They've gone cleanly over 3 of the companies biggest faces at a PPV.

One's an example of how to book a stable angle.
One's an example of how not to book a stable angle.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

Following on from your first post Adam, I think you've missed a name of the list who could be a possible leader, and that's Matt Morgan.

Morgan initially made his return at a house show, where D-Lo was supposed to be incharge of security ( I think Bruce Pritchard gave D-Lo a dressing down about it on TV) He's also been overlooked by Hogan, and has a gripe with TNA in general.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

You have to give Hobo credit, not even Lance Armstrong's attorney would try defending this.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 08 Mar 2013, 1:54 pm

Nakatomi Plaza wrote:Following on from your first post Adam, I think you've missed a name of the list who could be a possible leader, and that's Matt Morgan.

Morgan initially made his return at a house show, where D-Lo was supposed to be incharge of security ( I think Bruce Pritchard gave D-Lo a dressing down about it on TV) He's also been overlooked by Hogan, and has a gripe with TNA in general.

And can I say that I predicted Matt Morgan and Hogan from their first appearance

Aces = 13th card in the dec = 13th letter = MM = Matt Morgan
8s = 8th letter = HH = Hulk Hogan

And to compare them to the shield is a ridiculous comment. Both are very different entities. Its like comparing The Shield with Degeneration X - other than the fact they are a stable, there is no comparison.

I am not saying A&8s is what I would have wanted but I dont think its terrible.

Devon has done very well in the role where I honestly thought he would flop. Never wanted him in the mouthpiece role but he is and has done well considering.

The only one I have a real problem with is Bischoff who is just awful and Anderson - no real logic to him being in there other than to give him something to do.

And for the record, Lance Armstrong drank Bradley Wiggins coolaid which is why he tested positive.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:09 pm

I assume Devon is the Ace of Spades? Wink

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:11 pm

In this thread you have totally contradicted yourself Adam by saying I didnt have apoint, and then being one of the main people to actually comment on this article.

well done

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

Why's it a ridiculous statement to compare the two?

Both are the main heel stable for their prospective federations and came about around the same time. If there is a product on the market then you compare it to similar products to gauge success. The closest product in the market at present to A&8s is the Shield so therefore it's only fair to use them as a comparision.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm

It’s not a ridiculous statement Hero, it’s a very fair one. There are similarities and differences between both factions, the main difference being that The Shield has talent. However the greatest difference is that everyone is waiting for the big reveal of the leader behind A&8s to give the story legitimacy whereas The Shield are legitimate without the need of a leader.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:39 pm

AntLord wrote:In this thread you have totally contradicted yourself Adam by saying I didnt have apoint, and then being one of the main people to actually comment on this article.

well done

As one of the few people to stick up for you, i would suggest you reread my post.

You asked what the point was - I told you. I never said you didnt have a point.

And I still stand by the point I made about the two factions are irrelevant.

On second thoughts they are similar in principal - hired mercenaries for a not very clearly defined cause. The booking however is completely different intentionally. The stories are very different even though the actual raison detre is the same.

The shield has worked because the story is very simplistic (and well done WWE) and been executed well. Whereas the A&8 is overly complicated and too excessive. Typical WCW stuff. Doesnt mean that I dont enjoy it as it it something different from recent years and has been largely entertaining since hitting these shores.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 08 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

If TNA had done the vignettes of A&8s initially and each reveal turned out to be guys like Steen, Briscoes (not Wes variety), Samoa Joe, Colt Cabana etc (that calibre of guys) then the IWC would have creamed themselves over it (myself included as Director of Smarkness).

It was mentioned on the podcast a couple of weeks ago that if guys like Steen had been brought in then for the vast majority of the audience it'd be a 'who?' but surely that's the same as when WWE went bold at Survivor Series and introduced us to Rollins, Reigns and Ambrose, only a small number of guys would know of Rollins, Ambrose less so and Reigns a tiny number yet by going bold it actually benefitted the stable.

Now each reveal in A&8s just has you thinking how on earth can they stoop to a new depth of crapness only to be amazed they surpass it the following week.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 08 Mar 2013, 3:01 pm

I think contextually the point is both worth discussion yet also loaded. To be fair to TNA least they have explained why these people have made it into the building and onto the roster. The Rock couldnt get in to the arena for Raw a couple months ago but The Shield just pop in and out through the crowd.

I havent watched the reveal of D'Lo yet but it makes sense in the story. As long as hes not the head guy then its a nothing point really. Its someone else to give them a weight of numbers and a legitimacy about how theyve operated around the Impact Zone.

However, if they did the reveal like they did the Devon one then its a mistake, no one gave a sh*t then so dont blow the trumpets, nothing that exciting is happening.

TNA doesnt grab me the same way WWE does, but Aces and Eights are not as bad now as I thought they would be. The members look poor written down, but most of them have performed their roles well. Taz for one is far better on commentary now cos his ramblings at least have a heel context.

You could also compare Aces n Eights to Brad Maddox as a heel intruder. It would be unfair, but least they havent just disappeared for no reason. (Where the bloody hell is Brad Maddox?)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:38 pm

Hero wrote:Their answer though each week just seems to be 'lets throw another crap wrestler or even worse a guy who used to be a wrestler but now cant wrestle into the mix' and dilute the product even further.
I really want to know who on earth in TNA pitched the idea of A&8s and why it got through the creative process. Main Event Mafia was bad enough but at least you could understand the thought process behind it, guys clinging onto power past their prime against the new generation. This is just 'we're bad guys because we like strippers and drinking'.

Look at the difference between them and WWE's The Shield.
Both arrived around the same time (A&8s before).
Both did run ins as a faction.

Yet The Shield not just continue to look strong but have improved week upon week.
Every memeber brings something different to the group.
They've not been diluted by adding more and more members.
They've gone cleanly over 3 of the companies biggest faces at a PPV.

One's an example of how to book a stable angle.
One's an example of how not to book a stable angle.

Two very different animals.

The WWE is the mecca of the wrestling industry so will be able to attract the hottest talent and have a ready made audience (the WWE universe) from which to draw upon to create a buzz and hype. However, the adverse effect is when they don't book talent correctly and they're FE'd there's a stigma that goes along with that - "they can't draw", "they're not a big name", "they're a reject". Gallows and Knox fit the bill for the Aces & 8s stable perfectly and I'm excited to see how their TNA career's pan out as they've got potential. Aces & 8s is a better heel gimmick than what they were given in WWE.

Also I don't care what names are revealed behind the Aces & 8s masks, what I care about is how well they perform and Devon is a great example of this. He's done brilliantly as being the face of Aces & 8s and his performances have been some of the best of his career. Justin Beiber is a big name draw but I don't listen to his music. Does it effect ratings? Possibly, but name value in and of themselves doesn't guarantee ratings. Name value is a very shallow barometer imo.

Aces & 8s as a faction are growing because they claim to be a brotherhood - the KKK and the Nazis are good examples of popularity through having a strong identity and shared values - the masks and intolerance of others are both factors that attract people looking for an identity and purpose. The anonymity protects the member allowing them to fulfil their violent ambitions or desires, much like the KKK. The midcarders like Bischoff and Brisco fit this mould perfectly. This coupled with the fact that they have a strong propensity for violence and anarchism, they become a vehicle to express the rage and disillusionment of wrestlers who feel overlooked, or that there has been an injustice committed against them by the powers that be in TNA - Aces & 8s attract desparate men, the psychotic and the extremist. So imo your point of reference between Aces & 8s and the Shield is wrong. Aces & 8s have far more in common with a cult or anarchist movement.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Fri 08 Mar 2013, 4:42 pm

You've got to think the whole concept of Aces and Eights is just one big rib, they couldn't have got a crappier bunch of nobodies if they tried...

When the star man is Devon Dudley, a guy who isn't going to change anything then you really have just admit defeat and move on, I've been a big backer of TNA in the past although I basically washed my hands of it when they monumentally screwed up the World Title match at BFG 2011 and then played pass the parcel on free TV with the same World Title just to let it end up on the guy it should have been anyway, all because Hogan wanted that feel good moment all to himself

Aces & Eights are a joke, they are the most unappealing faction in history, every week they become more and more irrelevent with a nonsense reveal, the fact that this group can hold a company hostege basically craps over everyone else in the company

I also don't buy into all this 'weight in numbers' stuff, by adding guys with absolutely no name value and no future value you don't add to the quality, you simply dilute any remaining quality left

Aces & Eights aren't going to be a game changer, that's alright though, not everything has to be, however when so much time and effort and money is used on this group that's exactly what it should be or at least what it should be aiming for.

The only guy who has potential is Ken Anderson, he has the name value and at least is high profile, but they've got him as a lacky to Devon

I like Gallows and Knox, I'd have debuted them together as an APA type of Tag Team, at least this way they'd have gained some name value within the company and be seen as genuine big angry badasses but they get thrown in to A&8s randomly, the last time we've seen/heard of these guys they're enhancement talrnt for TNA's big brothers and we're supposed to buy into the fact that them turning up in A&8s is a shocking moment that can turn the tide in their favour, it doesn't, all these "big reveals" do is distance the fans further and further away from this storyline and only helps confirm any belief that TNA are small fry and have no hope in hell of ever becoming anything remotely close to what WCW were, they'll never be a genuine contender

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 08 Mar 2013, 5:00 pm

Jesus wept, I'd managed to avoid this news until now.

D-Lo is a ridiculous and terrible reveal at this stage of the story.

It's just been a dreadful story. My belief is that they started with it all planned out, certain bits have changed along the way but they've tried to keep other bits even though they no longer fit the pacing or narrative. For example the timing of each reveal has been atrocious. I'm sure they had Bischoff, Brisco and D-Lo planned all along, but they've shoehorned those reveals in without any kind of build or suspense. Having Devon revealed at the biggest event of the year was beyond comical, and revealing D-Lo on the go-home show for a big PPV is similarly awful. Ditto the Taz turn on the heavily hyped wedding episode.

On the flipside, the three members who should mean the most to the group, and who have the greatest potential to be major featured acts on the show (and are active wrestlers!) joined in completely unceremonious and instantly forgettable fashion, and in two of those cases were almost immediately defined as midcarders in losing very one-sided singles matches to Sting.

I think it's a concept that could have worked, on paper. The problem is that the story hasn't been told coherently. The beginning and end may have stayed the same, but all the stages in between have been jumbled up.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:28 pm

Adam D wrote:
Nakatomi Plaza wrote:Following on from your first post Adam, I think you've missed a name of the list who could be a possible leader, and that's Matt Morgan.

And can I say that I predicted Matt Morgan and Hogan from their first appearance

Aces = 13th card in the dec = 13th letter = MM = Matt Morgan
8s = 8th letter = HH = Hulk Hogan

Eric (5th letter) Aaron (1st) Bishoff (2nd) = 8

I reckon you could be onto something there!

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:31 pm

Adam has shamelessly stolen my eighth letter theory

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 08 Mar 2013, 6:33 pm

crippledtart wrote:Adam has shamelessly stolen my eighth letter theory

Sorry Crips. I reckon you are onto something there. Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 08 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm

Im not really into it as a story either, but its not as bad as it was around BFG. To say that it hasnt completely died since Devon revealed shows they've at least recovered it a little. You've got to buy into the kayfabe of being a TNA fan a bit. Tazz and D'Lo have now turned heel and will garner cheap heat as the story continues. Looks poor from the outside but within TNA they were reasonably well liked figures.

Again, I'm not saying I like it particularly, but I havent liked much of what TNA has done since I started watching.

Maybe it doesnt seem as bad because for the time being they are upstaged by the even poorer storyline, one that will probably join completely with the Aces n Eights one, which is the romance between Bully Ray and Hulk Hogan. If the heel Brooke wasnt in their way this could be the greatest love story in pro wrestling since Matt Morgan and Hulk Hogan two months ago

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Fri 08 Mar 2013, 11:00 pm

I think you have a point chris, in a way you do have to be a TNA fan to appreciate Aces & 8s more, but it's like anything once you learn more about it you develop a greater appreciation for it...at least that's what my American Football fan friends tell me!

Aces & 8s isn't perfect but I don't think it's a joke - yes at times I wish it would be more thought through, but even WWE are guilty of short term booking. I fully expect them to win the Lethal Lockdown match and I think that will give them some more credibility - it's a match designed for Aces & 8s in many ways and could well be to them, what the Elimination Chamber was for the Shield.

I really do think that names aren't important in this faction or even for TNA - TNA have some really big names like Angle, Hardy and Hogan but it hasn't magically boosted ratings. Devon leading Aces & 8s isn't a problem or a weakness. TNA are growing, they're taking impact on the road, they've got new TV deals in Australia and Japan so are slowly expanding to become a global company. I suspect the 4 annual PPVs will be well attended and supported with hot crowds that will really give them that big PPV feel. The more fans TNA win over, the bigger guys like Devon, Brisco, DOC and Knox will be. Remember the WWE Universe are already invested in the product and the UK impact tour proved that TNA does have its own hardcore fanbase, which will grow in America too now they're going on the road.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 09 Mar 2013, 3:06 am

I don't buy into a TNA fans blind faith loyalty though, like I say I used to really like TNA when it was a genuine alternative, I thought it was excellent when I started watching in 2007, it has regressed supremely though...often TNA fans will say something along the lines of "well WWE make a mess of storylines"...that's very true but all you have to do is read message boards and see that most fans on sites like this will criticise WWE for their ills...TNA fans for one reason or another can't or simply won't do that, I really don't understand that logic, as a Wrestling fan, not a fan of an individual company all I want is for TNA to improve and become a company that looks like its worth something again, it won't do that anytime soon with the amount of time dedicated to the monumental crapfest that is Aces & 8s.. 5 years ago we had Christian's Coallitionand the Angle Alliance, after that we had The Main Event Mafia 4 years ago along with the TNA Originals....after that we got Fortune....now we get Aces & 8s as the Main Faction and if no-one can see how far TNA have regressed now we have that group then they simply just don't want to see it

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:02 am

it's not about blind loyalty it's about recognizing that not all factions follow the same blueprint. Besides to say TNA as a company has regressed supremely because of Aces & 8s is total exaggeration. As a company they have improved - they have a talent for making main eventers out of humble origins - look at Joe, Aries, Storm, AJ and Roode. They have a talent for making great tag teams - look at Bad Influence, Beer Money, AJ & Angle, Joe & Magnus, MCMG and now Aries & Roode. They have continued to innovate with the BFG series and Gut Check. Aces & 8s isn't there biggest triumph by a long way but it doesn't mean the entire company has gone backwards.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:04 am

Samoa Joe and AJ Styles were held with much higher regard within TNA and Wrestling in general 4 years ago so using them as examples of how well TNA are doing is extremely innaccurate, Bobby Roode could have been doing what he's doing now when he was almost given his chance in 2007 but TNA choose to pair him up with Storm.

I think you can clearly see TNA aren't anywhere near as strong now as they where in the past, that's a no-brainer for me, again though I can look at it through an unbiased eye with no agenda, I've no wish to see them fail, only succeed but I've also no wish to bury my head in the sand and look for positives in things that have none like the Aces & 8s

I don't think we can hold the Gut Check competition as something to be proud of, I actually do think the BFG series is a very good concept however its flawed in the sense that there is no real fixture list, its thrown together and since it starts around April/May time If every genuine contender was included in it then it leaves the Champion with no-one credible to feud with...then again if they leave out credible opponents so the Champ can feud then the BFG series loses credibility.

TNA have in the past made really good tag teams, I don't know why Beer Money or MCMG are included in that listthough as they where formed when it was a far better product, infact when the Hogan circus came to town Beer Money where tossed to the side, they didn't succeed because of TNA, they succeeded inspite of them.

I also think its misguided to believe all factions don't follow the same blue print, they may be dressed differently and promote different values but the basic blue print of a faction that's supposed to be the biggest heels in the company remain the same, draw heat and entice fans to buy tickets to either see them kick ass or get their asses kicked, I doubt many would bother opening their curtains if Aces & 8s had a match in their garden

I love Austin Aries, always have, its easy to say he'd succeed but TNA pulled the trigger on him so they deserve credit for that, many think they only did that though due to how well received CM Punk had become, still, they gave Aries a go, however for me they truly mucked it up, he's nor a face, he's a good face but he's a brilliant heel, plus the storyline that made most sense was for Roode to drop the belt to Storm at BFG...now I'm no great fan of James Storm, he's alright for me, no more no less, but the whole angle screamed out for Storm to win the BFG Series and finally take back what his former best friend stole from him...plus the fact Roode was so obsessed with the Title meant the best way to hurt him was taking what he held so dear to him.

This isn't out there thinking, this is pretty basic stuff, add the fact they have months and months to fit the BFG into order then it becomes even more ridiculous that they can't get it right.

You may feel its an exaggeration to suggest TNA have regressed, me? Well I said it so I obviously do, back in 07/08/09 TNA had a brilliant X-Division, a brilliant Knock-Out Division, they had a clear direction...they still had a good main event Division, they had very good factions...can you honestly tell me they have that now?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:06 pm

I included the aforementioned tag teams because I was showing TNA have a history of forming good tag teams. I'm not just talking about the Hogan era. There has been progression in the company. There are flaws. Naturally. Could Aces & 8s be better? Yes. Could the X-Division be better? Yes. But in comparison to previous eras in the companies short history - remember when Nash was X-Division champion? That was a joke. The MEM was a poor man's NWO (considering it had Nash, Steiner and Sting in it didn't help), the 6-sided ring was cool but should have been reserved for gimmick PPVs like Destination-X and not used all the time. TNA were guilty of pushing former WWE talent over TNA original talent. The biggest successes out of the X-Division were Joe, Daniels & AJ but the majority of the X-Division were filled with spot monkeys who wouldn't have been able to transcend that style of wrestling. Now you've got Zema Ion, Kenny King and Christian York who are much more rounded wrestlers. There is alot that is good about TNA in 2013.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:17 pm

I agree with TP.

The knockouts is booked poorly but it has talent in it that if given airtime could shine.

The X Division is getting better than it has in 3/4 years.

Kenny King and Ion are great. Add Spud in there and a few others (like Joey Ryan and a few other Gut Check winners)

Tag Teams are not great but could have been - Bad Influence/ Chavo/Hernandez and the Robbies could have been very good. Pairing Aries and Roode together is great but very short term.

Aces and 8 is better than it is written on paper (with regards to how the people in the faction are performing with their poorly booked roles).

I think that TNA is just fine now and post Lockdown, things will be much clearer with regards to the title scenes and where everyone stands in the roster.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm

Im not saying Aces n Eights are any good, I have not enjoyed them at any point since I started watching TNA, but they are not the worst thing in wrestling history.

Some of the booking has actually been rather logical. They've just messed up the drama behind it. Briscoe, Bischoff, Knox and Gallows should gain some notoriety from it as the story progresses or ends, they've been given a reason to be on the roster.

Its hard to say they havent regressed in recent times though. I dont see that as Aces n Eights fault though. I think its TNA's desperate desire to capture mainstream attention. Hardy thrown into the World title shot ahead of the logical Storm/Roode match and now the ridiculous focus on Hulk Hogan (the biggest of big problems).

Im not saying its all any good, but I can see reasons why TNA fans would be interested, and why its not the worst thing ever. This recent reveal made sense and turned a popular figure heel.

The one thing I give TNA credit for is the BFG series. It is why I dont understand WWE dropping King of the Ring, these competitions give a reason for big matches on regular occasions.

(Oh, and re my earlier point, Brad Maddox appeared on Smackdown commentary this week and was fantastic)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

If this is the X Division good then I worry about why anyone has watched it in the 3/4 years prior. All the titles currently mean very little in TNA, the world title has some relevance returning cos Hardy is back on TV but the rest have been inconsequential for months

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:38 pm

I agree with Chris as well - I am in a good mood obviously today.

The X division has been poor for the last few years, even when Aries was champ (he was good but the opponents meh).

With the PPVs being so far apart now, hopefully the BFG series will benefit from it too.One way of solving the problem of who the champ feuds with during the run is to include him in it. What better way for a challenger to get points than beating the champ?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

Lets compare rosters then from 5 years ago to now.

2008 roster

Kurt Angle - The 2008 Kurt Angle was far superior to the shell that turns up nowadays
Christian Cage - Rejoined WWE
Tomko - Rejoined WWE then left, would have been a better addition to A&8s than Knox
AJ Styles - Absent due back soon but not getting the push he was back then
Rhyno - Left, would have been a decent guy for A&8s
Team 3D - Bully obviously improved by the split, as probably has D'Von
Kazarian - Improved since 2008
Petey Williams - Much missed from the X Division
Scott Steiner - Was actually quite decent then, not a loss 5 years on though
Kevin Nash - Well rid of
Samoa Joe - Entered 2008 as World Champ, how he's fallen since
Sting - Continues to depreciate in stock value due to age
Eric Young - Had potential back then, now just filler
Robert Roode - Had potential back then, now fulfilled it
James Storm - Much improved, always looked to be the Jannety to Storm's HBK
Chris Sabin - Injuries certainly but back then MCMG were so over
Alex Shelley - As above, now left the roster, again much missed from X Division too
Jay Lethal - Why on earth TNA let him go is beyond me
Sonjay Dutt - Still makes occasional appearance, but should be mainstay in X Division
LAX - Much more watered down version with Chavo replacing Homicide, Hernadez looked a star in the making then
Abyss - Had some decent hardcore matches back then, but has succesfully reinvented himself as Parks
Judas Mesias - Shame he left, liked his gimmick and also lost a great manager in James Mitchell
BG James & Kip James - Rejoined WWE, decent in either fed to put others over
Shark Boy - Left, was decent novelty act
Christopher Daniels - Probably doing his most prominent stuff now but has been for me the most consistent guy in TNA for a long time
Booker T - Lazy back then and good to get off roster
Amazing Red - Again another much missed X Division guy
Matt Morgan - Not done much since, showed huge promise and never really capitalised on it
Jonny Devine - yeah no loss there.

Additions now

Austin Aries - Huge coop, one of the best wrestlers in the world.
Jeff Hardy - Poster boy, had his demons certainly since he joined.
RVD - Over with casual fans due to history but a real waste of a spot on the roster.
Crimson - Showed initial promise and went over a lot of guys, now tag champ in developmental
Chavo - Just why?
DOC - Generic big fella
Christian York - Is he better than what was in the X Division 5 years earlier? No.
Zema Ion - For me the X Division should revolve around him.
Kenny King - Another decent addition.
Gunner - Initial promise like Crimson, now?
Garrett Bischoff & Wes Briscoe - Waste of airtime
Joey Ryan - Nice gimmick, not getting enough airtime
Magnus - Hope he gets a big push now he's back
Mike Knox - Dear God.
Mr Anderson - Again when he joined TNA he looked to really be realising his potential, gone so far backwards now he's just a henchmen to DVon.

Overall the successes are clearly Roode, Storm, Kaz, Bully Ray, Daniels and Aries but the fact that in 5 years TNA have only really brought in 1 guy that wasnt on the roster and made a star of him (Aries) speaks volumes.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:53 pm

Tbh the TNA roster when it started out between 2002-2005 is just as good as it is nowadays

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:59 pm

I loved the whole Joey Ryan thing at the back end of last year and then what happened?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 09 Mar 2013, 3:38 pm

I've yet to see the X Division doing anything outstanding, it promises this exciting style but hasnt delivered it since I started watching. They have the non-PPV events to go back to some innovative stuff and hopefully that inspires them to invest in the two things I was sold on that TNA were good at - Tag Team and X Division.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 11 Mar 2013, 1:00 pm

For me this is a theme that runs right through all TNA's divisions.

They bring people in, hype them up and give them a few week's air time, then they just disappear. There is just no continuity and very few really good feuds/storylines to make you interested in any of the wrestlers.

Seems all of TNA's "creative talent" are using thir shared brain cell to bring the Aces & Eights story to some kind of conclusion...and to be fair it is starting to pick up now that the mystery figures are being revealed.

However, you would think with all the talent they have, they could put on brilliant shows, week in, week out, involving the tag team, Knockout and X divisions. After all, they are going to need something to fill their shows once A&E is done.

Besides the A&E story, all they really have going are:

Heavyweight: Roode, Aries, Bully Ray, Hardy, Storm
Tag Team: Daniels and Kazarian & Chavo and Hernandez (maybe a hint of Joe and Magnus getting back together?)
X Division: Kenny King, Zema Ion, RVD?
Knockouts: Tara, Brooke Tessmacher, Gail Kim and Velvet Sky

Plus various members of the rest of the roster randomly put in to fill gaps as required.

Three or four main characters per division isn't really enough to make a competition, or make it seem that special whenever anyone wins a title. Why aren't more of the roster used in more structured competitions, similar to the BFG series, to build up a "scene" for each division and establish more characters, instead of putting out the same people for a few weeks in a row, then rotating them out and bringing in a new bunch?
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down