The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pocock

+13
dallym
sickofwendy
Pal Joey
Taylorman
BristolDave
doctor_grey
George Carlin
Rory_Gallagher
LondonTiger
kiakahaaotearoa
t1000advancedprototype
Biltong
thebluesmancometh
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

pocock Empty pocock

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

Anyone see his injury this morning, twisted knee looked nasty.

Hope he isn't going to be out for long at all.

Anyone have an update, I'm having to leave the house real soon and won't get home till tonight?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

pocock Empty Re: pocock

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

Didn't look to good, he was sitting with an icepack on the sideline.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

Icepack is a good sign!! Hopefully just a knock and he'll be back within a few weeks

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:31 am

Unfortunately the incident took place out of camrera shot, he was being pulled out of a ruck, so i don't think it is serious.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:50 am

Commentators mentioned six months, but I don't know how that assessment can be made with Pocock sitting on the sideline.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:51 am

We want Australia's best available XV vs the lions.

This isn't good news.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

Biltong

It was a belated clearout from AAC wasn't it, I saw it, didn't look bad he just went down heavily on one side.

Can't imagine why anyone would hazard a guess when the medical team have taken a quick look, and will know more later when he's examined properly, where did 6 months come from.

I hope it's not that serious I love watching Pocock play, Hooper is good but not the same standard!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:54 am

I personally think Gill is better, more rounded than Pocock.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:01 am

Rounded is one thing, but noone is as effective as Pocock on the floor and for me thats a game changer.

Pocock = breakdown superiority and at least 4/5 penalties per game

No Pocock = Breakdown parity and an even contest.

Not to mention how teams focus so much on how to play against the guy, some teams like to hit it up at him and try to keep him on the floor, others look to avoid him alltogether, that amount of focus from the opposition can't be quantified but the difference is telling when he's not there!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:11 am

I agree if he is your only pilferer, but most teams these days use more than one pilferer.

An example this morning was Coenie Oosthuizen in the Higlnaders match, he made more pilfers than Brussow, even though they came on at the same time.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:56 am

Well thats just a 6.5 type doing his job, but Pocock is not just a pilferer, lets not put him in that category.

He is a proven match winner, and makes the difference in tight games, IMHO more effective than Mccaw was for NZ, or Carter, who you wouldnt just describe as a pilferer or distributional 10.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:02 am

Was for NZ? He's still alive!

Pocock showed what he can do in the SA quarter final if he's allowed free rein. Nullify him and he doesn't stand out in a game like McCaw can because he's not that type of player.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:12 am

You don't have to stand out in a game to be extremely effective though, Mccaw tended to get a lot of plaudits but comentators for his annoying ruck work, but a lot of it was unfounded IMHO. Not that Mccaw wasn't the best, but he was in no way superhuman as many would have tou beleive.

A little bit like 1/2p currently, seems to win MOTM every other game because of his goal kicking, he just gets highlighted more by comentators.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:13 am

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Was for NZ? He's still alive!

Pocock showed what he can do in the SA quarter final if he's allowed free rein. Nullify him and he doesn't stand out in a game like McCaw can because he's not that type of player.
exactly, Pocock rules when there is no officiating.

Other than that, he doesn't add much else. He isn't a great ball carrier which Hooper or Gill are better at for Australia.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:27 am

I'm not talking about his ruck work bluesman. I'm talking about his hit ups, his running with ball in hand, his linking play. That part of Pocock's game is simply not there. He is there to steal the ball. Like you say, that's all he needs to do to make a valued contribution. But only when Australia wins. Australia have played plenty of times against NZ in recent times and Pocock's breakdown work has been nullified. Not saying he's the reason for Australia losing but you need to offer more to your game when your team's under the gun.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:53 am

"Pocock suffers suspected ACL tear"

and

"Waratahs could lose Pocock for Season with ACL injury"

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:10 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Well thats just a 6.5 type doing his job, but Pocock is not just a pilferer, lets not put him in that category.

He is a proven match winner, and makes the difference in tight games, IMHO more effective than Mccaw was for NZ, or Carter, who you wouldnt just describe as a pilferer or distributional 10.

Oosthuizen isn't a flanker bluesman, he is a loosehead prop. If I recall correctly he was one of the top pilferers in the S15 last season. He is a perfect example of a player that isn't a 7 making just as much of an impact at the breakdown. The best teams nowadays (including NZ) have many players that are effective at the breakdown. Look at England this 6 nations. Look at how many carries and tackles McCaw puts in as well as his work at the breakdown for NZ.

I think Pocock has been largely ineffective over the past few seasons I have seen him. He is definitely not the same sort of player as McCaw. Pocock does one thing, and although he does it (very) well, if you take that aspect out of his game he is pretty average.

Hooper looks like the better player in my opinion. I haven't seen enough of Gill to comment on him.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm

Yes, suspected ACL tear:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/david-pocock-suffers-suspected-acl-tear/story-e6frg7mf-1226593908643

That's nine months out. What a chance for George Smith to take back what many people feel is righfully his.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 09 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

Don't get me wrong. I'm gutted for Pocock as he had problems with his knee last season and I'm never happy to see an international player injured. Not sure if it's the same knee but knee injuries are among the worst in terms of time out from the game and your ability to come back after your recovery.

Brumbies are looking good and finally Pocock was playing what looks like to be a decent team. It is sad news for them and the Wallabies, undoubtedly.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm

The injury seemed pretty benign on tv, but that's how ligament tears occur some times. At the current time, Pocock has not had his MRI, and only a physical exam. So the ACL tear is not confirmed. The physical exam is usually about 60%-70% predictive immediately post injury for an ACL tear. We will know more as soon as the results of the scan are available.

For Brumbies, Pocock goes off and they bring on George Smith. Unbelieveable. Quality to quality.
Smith is contracted to be back in Japan with his team during the Lions tour. If the ARU can negotiate his release for the Lions, then there is no loss for the Wallabies.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:12 pm

doctor_grey wrote:The injury seemed pretty benign on tv, but that's how ligament tears occur some times. At the current time, Pocock has not had his MRI, and only a physical exam. So the ACL tear is not confirmed. The physical exam is usually about 60%-70% predictive immediately post injury for an ACL tear. We will know more as soon as the results of the scan are available.

For Brumbies, Pocock goes off and they bring on George Smith. Unbelieveable. Quality to quality.
Smith is contracted to be back in Japan with his team during the Lions tour. If the ARU can negotiate his release for the Lions, then there is no loss for the Wallabies.

Would Smith (who must be one of the all time great 7s) be good enough still for international rugby after his time out in Japan?

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 2:45 pm

Oosthuizen Laugh Who was I thinking of then?

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

BristolDave,
Smith was playing in Japan, so was still in game shape. He had a good game stepping in for Pocock. And that's with only a few practices with the team. I would think he would certainly be in the picture for the Wallabies. When he retired from international Rugby, he was still playing very well.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 5:32 pm

BristolDave wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:The injury seemed pretty benign on tv, but that's how ligament tears occur some times. At the current time, Pocock has not had his MRI, and only a physical exam. So the ACL tear is not confirmed. The physical exam is usually about 60%-70% predictive immediately post injury for an ACL tear. We will know more as soon as the results of the scan are available.

Would Smith (who must be one of the all time great 7s) be good enough still for international rugby after his time out in Japan?

Saw a bit on Smith in Japan recently Doc and apparently hes a new lease of life with the game- one of the start players in the Jap league. I actually prefer Gill as well as the 7 role is moving slightly away from the pure pilfering role to that of ball carrier as well, something Pocock just doesnt do.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:18 pm

Taylorman wrote:
BristolDave wrote:

Saw a bit on Smith in Japan recently Doc and apparently hes a new lease of life with the game- one of the start players in the Jap league. I actually prefer Gill as well as the 7 role is moving slightly away from the pure pilfering role to that of ball carrier as well, something Pocock just doesnt do.

Good he has kept up the high standards. I always felt he had more to offer Aus when he left.

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:45 pm

LondonTiger wrote:"Pocock suffers suspected ACL tear"

and

"Waratahs could lose Pocock for Season with ACL injury"

Wrong team mate. He plays for the ACT.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 09 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

I must have misread the headline when I posted the link to the article - apologies.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:03 pm

It's OK mate. Just when I saw the "... " I was wondering whether the standards of journalism had reached new heights.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:07 pm

No just my inability to read allied to trying to show off with the fancy links rather than just copying the url

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:18 pm

Didnt hooper play 7 in the autumn and very well.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:27 pm

sickofwendy wrote:Didnt hooper play 7 in the autumn and very well.

Yeah he did. With Smith back Oz still have Hooper, Gill and Smith to call on so its not all bad. Shame for Pocock though and Oz who just continue to keep losing key players.

I see Habanas out for a couple of months as well, stretchered off this morning.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:34 pm

The thing with oz is that when they lose key players someone comes in like hooper in the autumn and plays out of their skin,as long as joc is fit they will probably beat the lions.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:40 pm

Perhaps but they were caught well short at 4N time, the key players clearly needed. Might get away with it against the 6N sides- the Wales tour they had many missing- but it showed elsewhere big time.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:48 pm

Against better opposition sadly. Sad

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Possibly but the other side of the coin is the ABs were extremely lucky with injuries and didnt have any first liners out and were also able to bring through 10-12 new players- all with a fairly good level of success- so that made it harder. They did square off ok vs the Boks who also had their share of injuries.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:00 pm

Just want to point out that Wales were actually missing double figures key players in the summer/Autumn too.

Although Oz were demolished!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

Oz are typically the France of the SH, the least pedictable of the main four. They have a go when other sides wouldnt dare and Deans is really putting pressure on the ARU to get his squad for a good period prior to the first test. So unlike the Samoa and Scotland 'ambush's' of the last two seasons Oz will be ready regardless of who is in the squad. Thats a key difference between this and last years Welsh tour, where unluckily for Wales Scotland woke them up rather abruptly.

This Lions tour is going to be great but its not helped by a dour 6N.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:45 pm

Tell us about it, blues. Ironically, it has helped us to man up a bit more... similar to what Wales have been forced to do now.

News this morning is that Pocock is out for the season; or 6 months minimum.
Big loss; but I'm not as worried as I would have been with Hooper, Gill and now Smith there to cover for him.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sat 09 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

I'm still not sure about Smith, he was ok today but I don't see all the plaudits everyone else does.

Hooper wasn't great either, how did Gill get off? Havn't seen him this season yet!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by dallym Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm

McCaw on one foot bloody outplayed Pocock. Davey is a one trick pony. Don't allow him to steal ball and he's useless.

dallym

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sat 09 Mar 2013, 11:09 pm

Question is, if Pocock is available, how would you combat him and Hooper at the breakdown? Go with two opensides (Warburton and Tipuric) or go with a big, physical back-row (Wood, SOB, R.Jones)?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 10 Mar 2013, 6:46 am

Linebreaker wrote:Tell us about it, blues. Ironically, it has helped us to man up a bit more... similar to what Wales have been forced to do now.

News this morning is that Pocock is out for the season; or 6 months minimum.
Big loss; but I'm not as worried as I would have been with Hooper, Gill and now Smith there to cover for him.

Yeah British press go on and on about pocock being the big issue for lions to deal with, but I think hooper is just as good if not better at 7. Haven't seen him play yet this season though, did he have a bad game yesterday vs the brumbies?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 10 Mar 2013, 8:38 am

I heard this afternoon he'll be out for 9 months now.

Hooper didn't have one of his better games. The Brumbies pack controlled the Tahs at the breakdown and shunted them around a fair bit.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun 10 Mar 2013, 9:35 am

Ye Hooper was poor yesterday, but I think opensides can get dragged into games they don't want to play sometimes, happens to the best of them and like LB says the Brumbies pack bossed them.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

Morgannwg wrote:Question is, if Pocock is available, how would you combat him and Hooper at the breakdown? Go with two opensides (Warburton and Tipuric) or go with a big, physical back-row (Wood, SOB, R.Jones)?

Would they ever really have played both of them anyway?

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Sun 10 Mar 2013, 10:16 am

Biltong wrote:I agree if he is your only pilferer, but most teams these days use more than one pilferer.

An example this morning was Coenie Oosthuizen in the Higlnaders match, he made more pilfers than Brussow, even though they came on at the same time.

Will have to watch that, the guy is a SERIOUS talent. Anyone that massive with that work rate could only be a Bok!

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:28 pm

Hood83 wrote:
Biltong wrote:I agree if he is your only pilferer, but most teams these days use more than one pilferer.

Will have to watch that, the guy is a SERIOUS talent. Anyone that massive with that work rate could only be a Bok!

Or Gethin Jenkins. Or AWJ.
Very Happy
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgannwg Sun 10 Mar 2013, 1:35 pm

thomh wrote:
Morgannwg wrote:Question is, if Pocock is available, how would you combat him and Hooper at the breakdown? Go with two opensides (Warburton and Tipuric) or go with a big, physical back-row (Wood, SOB, R.Jones)?

Would they ever really have played both of them anyway?

Yeah I think so. Seemed to go quite well for them on their last tour to the NH. Pocock is ruled out of the Lions visit now it seems. Aus could still go for the two open-sides in Gill and Hooper though. Then there's George Smith if Deans feels like re-calling him. Otherwise I'm guessing Dennis, Higginbotham and Palu will partner one of the number 7s. The depth in Australian rugby has certainly increased.
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 12 Mar 2013, 6:05 am

There was a serious possibility that Pocock may have lost the shirt to Smith, Gill or Hooper in any event. I mean, it's good news for us but we shouldn't be measuring up the trophy cabinet just yet.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Tue 12 Mar 2013, 7:14 am

George Carlin wrote:There was a serious possibility that Pocock may have lost the shirt to Smith, Gill or Hooper in any event. I mean, it's good news for us but we shouldn't be measuring up the trophy cabinet just yet.

???

Smith only got on the pitch because Pocock went down, and it was his first appearance in Super rugby for ages. He was signed to plug a gap not push Pocock, one average game and people are talking like he's a world beater again.

And the contest between Hooper and Pocock was going to be interesting, but noone thinks Hooper or Gill are Pococks standard yet, well not at what Pocock does anyway

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum