The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test?

+2
subhranshu.kumar.5
gboycottnut
6 posters

Go down

Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test? Empty Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test?

Post by gboycottnut Fri 15 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm

Now that both Compton and Root have had 3 innings with the bat in NZ, who looks likeliest to open the batting alongside Alastair Cook for the first ashes test in England this summer?

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test? Empty Re: Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test?

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 4:53 am

I think they should go with Compton with Root in the middle order. Though both are learning quickly but Compton should get the reward of facing the new ball so well even in tough NZ condition. His twin centuries reflects the temperament that will surely going to help England in the up coming ashes up the order. For Root he is young and will be supported by a brilliant top order when he will come to bat.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test? Empty Re: Compton or Root as Opener in 1st Ashes Test?

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 7:35 am

Still three more Tests v NZ before the Ashes...

But obviously Compton is well set right now. Root has had a poor first half of a series here - the golden run in all formats could hardly go on without a pause ! He will want runs again soon , as Bairstow is still ready to press for a place.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:56 pm

Compton may have scored 2 centuries in a row but this is against a relatively poor NZ bowling attack on what are very flattish and slow paced wickets. Let's remember also that Ravi Bopara made 3 centuries in a row batting at 3 V West Indies prior to the 2009 ashes test series and we all know what happened to him during it when his batting technique as well as his mental strength was found wanting against the likes of Mitchell Johnson's raw pace.
I would be tempted to try out someone like a James Taylor as an opener in the 2 tests v NZ in the summer prior to the first ashes test as I am still not convinced about Compton's ability to open at the highest level of the game.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 16 Mar 2013, 2:58 pm

Compton. Stick to what we know, keep Root at 6. 2 centuries in a row can't be sniffed at.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

Compton's inked in now.

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 16 Mar 2013, 3:08 pm

CF wrote:Compton's inked in now.

I think Compton is vulnerable against quality bowlers who have extreme pace. It is one thing to made centuries V the likes of Boult and Wagner, but against the likes of Starc, Pattinson and Siddle he will find it harder going to bat well and to score runs.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 16 Mar 2013, 3:09 pm

Duty281 wrote:Compton. Stick to what we know, keep Root at 6. 2 centuries in a row can't be sniffed at.

Yes it can. Ravi Bopara made 3 centuries in a row V West Indies and we all know what happened to him!

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 3:10 pm

Root hasnt scored runs against his NZ bowling attack though

im a huge fan of Root...but the point is Compton has scored runs, Root hasnt..

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:06 pm

CF wrote:Root hasnt scored runs against his NZ bowling attack though

im a huge fan of Root...but the point is Compton has scored runs, Root hasnt..

I think England missed a great opportunity during this test series to try out James Taylor as an opener with Nick Compton, with Alastair Cook batting at 3. By doing this, it will allow the selectors to have a greater choice as to who they want opening the batting with Cook in the first test.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 16 Mar 2013, 6:45 pm

do you think before you post?

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 16 Mar 2013, 11:12 pm

GBN is just trying to get a bite.

Obviously Compton may struggle against a stronger attack - but so might anyone else who hasn't been tried out (like Taylor).
If form against NZ is assumed to count for nothing , what would it prove to see how someone else did against them ? By GBN's "logic" we would then have two potential Boparas ...

Compton has the job unless he suffers an injury or a complete loss of form.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 12:47 pm

Compton will be first choice for the 1st Ashes Test - little doubt about that with only 3 more Tests to go (and Compton won't play one-dayers, so won't lose form that way).

But, of course, as Bopara saw in '09 things can change quickly if you have a really bad time in the heat of battle. Were that to happen I wouldn't necessarily shuffle Root up though - I like him at six.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:18 pm

Shelsey93 wrote:
... But, of course, as Bopara saw in '09 things can change quickly if you have a really bad time in the heat of battle. Were that to happen I wouldn't necessarily shuffle Root up though - I like him at six.
Please don't interpret this as a call for his head (it's not - I like him too) but Root will need to get some runs in the next three Tests to make sure of the number six spot for the first Ashes Test.

Odd that during all the speculation about whether Root should open if Compton failed, little consideration was given to Root not continuing as he had started.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:52 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
Shelsey93 wrote:
... But, of course, as Bopara saw in '09 things can change quickly if you have a really bad time in the heat of battle. Were that to happen I wouldn't necessarily shuffle Root up though - I like him at six.
Please don't interpret this as a call for his head (it's not - I like him too) but Root will need to get some runs in the next three Tests to make sure of the number six spot for the first Ashes Test.

Odd that during all the speculation about whether Root should open if Compton failed, little consideration was given to Root not continuing as he had started.

There is a good case at present for not starting with Root at all and move Prior to bat at 6 with an all-rounder or another bowler like a Chris Woakes at number 7. First there is the worry that a 4 man bowling attack will not be enough V a strong batting lineup like Australia, also Graeme Swann will only have recovered from that surgery to his hand and will therefore not have any match sharpness behind his bowling and finally England's current pace/seam bowling attack apart from Jimmy Anderson is still a big source of concern. Yes Stuart Broad did take 6 wickets in NZ's first innings during this second test at the Basin Reserve, but prior to that he really was bowling some average and rather tripe stuff out in the middle particularly throughout the India test series.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down